Steak Porn

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1638
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Steak Porn

#2151 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 21st, 2020, 6:24 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 12:45 pm
Kenny H wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 12:31 pm


Oh no doubt, I always combine a post simmer anyway. It never comes out of the pressure cooker right since moisture is retained.
Yep! When you make a ton of stock it's essential to reduce it, if only for storage purposes. All flavor is retained but it takes up a fraction of the freezer space!
I frequently reduce the stock a lot and then freeze in ice cube trays. The last bit of stock in the pot goes into different ice cube trays and becomes dog treats.
Kyser seems pretty excited about this batch. [cheers.gif]
What a great idea, might need to do this for my Oreo. He loves his ice cubes.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 141
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#2152 Post by P Turk » May 24th, 2020, 5:16 pm

First Flannery hanger ... was delicious. Glad there’s more in the freezer. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
Attachments
35F113A5-32EA-4F7B-ADC3-895BB3CF8AC5.jpeg
Phil

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 141
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#2153 Post by P Turk » May 24th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 9:08 am
Realized I posted in the Flannery thread, but not here :)
Looks delicious.... I need to order one of those next time.
Phil

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2154 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 25th, 2020, 7:18 am

Skirt steaks from Rain Shadow Meats, using The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond’s fajita marinade. Fantastic recipe (see below). Couple of thoughts - don’t let it sit overnight; the citric acid in the limes will cook the meat (think ceviche). Also, the marinade has quite a bit of olive oil, which makes it taste great, but know that it is one step short of pouring gasoline on your fire. Be careful putting the meat on and the first time you flip... and use your vents aggressively to manage the fire and smoke for the first couple of minutes. Cook direct over a mix of lump charcoal and wood chunks. As always, more on my Instagram at @AKGrill

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bee ... x2k2v4ysuE
Attachments
370564C2-0585-475F-AFF7-0E3587E0936B.jpeg
E90D523E-5B61-418A-B833-4570E532B2E3.jpeg
4BD4668A-D842-4F22-8A65-CA73CD2B2BDD.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9819
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Steak Porn

#2155 Post by Scott Brunson » May 25th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Flannery KC
Toasted fennel seed, rosemary, garlic, Sumo Mandarin zest (s&p)
Image
ImageImage
Image
Farro with roasted garlic, end of season chard from the garden (thyme too)
Extra vecchio Balsamico
Image
Image
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1597
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2156 Post by Brandon R » May 26th, 2020, 8:40 am

Flannery 28-day NY Strip (it was raining, so I did it inside on cast iron, with the reverse-sear method). I salted it overnight on a rack in the fridge which is why it's so bright red.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
B. Redman

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39850
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Steak Porn

#2157 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm

Flannery Tomahawk, reverse-seared in the smoker
Attachments
1B5000B0-E0FC-4DFB-AC4E-46E3240B9039.jpeg
B5036BDB-CDAA-4654-A2DC-541EB11A5726.jpeg
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3433
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#2158 Post by ERPark » June 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm
Flannery Tomahawk, reverse-seared in the smoker
Reverse sear using your smoker? Where’d you ever get that idea? [wink.gif]

So how low did you smoke it at? And the result.....?
GEN3

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17056
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Steak Porn

#2159 Post by David K o l i n » June 1st, 2020, 1:24 pm

Also reverse seared. NY strip. With roasted potatoes and chili crisp broccoli
F6E34099-3AB8-4D2B-9D4F-00FF2FB90C50.jpeg

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39850
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Steak Porn

#2160 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm

ERPark wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm
Flannery Tomahawk, reverse-seared in the smoker
Reverse sear using your smoker? Where’d you ever get that idea? [wink.gif]

So how low did you smoke it at? And the result.....?
I made it up, obviously (patented)

I did about an hour, 250 degrees, pan-seared. Awesome. Next time, with a cut that thick, I’ll do same temperature but high smoke for more flavor
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3433
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#2161 Post by ERPark » June 2nd, 2020, 4:54 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm
ERPark wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm
Flannery Tomahawk, reverse-seared in the smoker
Reverse sear using your smoker? Where’d you ever get that idea? [wink.gif]

So how low did you smoke it at? And the result.....?
I made it up, obviously (patented)

I did about an hour, 250 degrees, pan-seared. Awesome. Next time, with a cut that thick, I’ll do same temperature but high smoke for more flavor
You sure you didn’t get the recipe from your junior high school girlfriend? You know, the one no one ever met, b/c “she didn’t live around here”....... cheesehead

If you’ve got the time, try the low and slow method on the lowest possible heat setting of your smoker. Gives you more time to sear the beef in the cast iron.
GEN3

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39850
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Steak Porn

#2162 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 3rd, 2020, 11:10 am

ERPark wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 4:54 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm
ERPark wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm

Reverse sear using your smoker? Where’d you ever get that idea? [wink.gif]

So how low did you smoke it at? And the result.....?
I made it up, obviously (patented)

I did about an hour, 250 degrees, pan-seared. Awesome. Next time, with a cut that thick, I’ll do same temperature but high smoke for more flavor
You sure you didn’t get the recipe from your junior high school girlfriend? You know, the one no one ever met, b/c “she didn’t live around here”....... cheesehead

If you’ve got the time, try the low and slow method on the lowest possible heat setting of your smoker. Gives you more time to sear the beef in the cast iron.
Approximately how long would that take? 2 hours? Why would I want to sear the beef more in the cast iron?

Also, my girlfriend is a model, in Canada.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3433
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#2163 Post by ERPark » June 3rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:10 am
ERPark wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 4:54 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm


I made it up, obviously (patented)

I did about an hour, 250 degrees, pan-seared. Awesome. Next time, with a cut that thick, I’ll do same temperature but high smoke for more flavor
You sure you didn’t get the recipe from your junior high school girlfriend? You know, the one no one ever met, b/c “she didn’t live around here”....... cheesehead

If you’ve got the time, try the low and slow method on the lowest possible heat setting of your smoker. Gives you more time to sear the beef in the cast iron.
Approximately how long would that take? 2 hours? Why would I want to sear the beef more in the cast iron?

Also, my girlfriend is a model, in Canada.
Depends how low you can go with your rig. As much as the Traeger is maligned, the fact that it smokes best at low temps is perfect for my style. On a cool night or day, it will chug along at 125 degrees +/- 5, with spikes to 160-170 degrees when pellets get chewed up/ignited.

Lower internal temp when you pull the protein off the smoker means more time you can spend searing it in the cast iron. 15 seconds more per side may not sound like much, but it can be the difference between a solid sear versus a moderate sear.

Say hi to your Canadian super model GF for us...... neener
GEN3

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2164 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 5th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Dry-aging at it’s finest!!! @flannerybeef
Attachments
927A5D8F-883A-42A7-9D6C-2A6CC5BFBA38.jpeg
015A9895-9BF0-43AE-B64D-1D1AB65A85C2.jpeg
0876FAA7-4700-42E9-A9DE-6C66BBDCEA54.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Steak Porn

#2165 Post by Mike Maguire » June 6th, 2020, 8:56 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 4:38 pm
Dry-aging at it’s finest!!! @flannerybeef
Jealous! flirtysmile

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2166 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 7th, 2020, 8:38 am

Couple of Jorge shots.
Attachments
5AB2784F-0E1B-49AC-995E-EA3CD24BCF8E.jpeg
9986E1BA-5AE8-4D83-9E98-679D85311207.jpeg
1E2C90FB-9BD0-4E9A-A13C-79ACF798FD81.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3966
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2167 Post by scamhi » June 7th, 2020, 9:31 am

Image



Image

the meat is a domestic wagyu from a-bar-n-ranch in Texas
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 483
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: Steak Porn

#2168 Post by TGigante » June 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Can you souis vide above medium? What is max temperature it can be brought to in the water before grilling?
Cheers,
Tony

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1501
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#2169 Post by stevetimko » June 7th, 2020, 4:25 pm

You can sous vide up to the temperature of boiling water.

Joule says 147 degrees is well done and 154 degrees is very well done.
Illegitimati non carborundum

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 483
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: Steak Porn

#2170 Post by TGigante » June 7th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Thanks Steve
Cheers,
Tony

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 141
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#2171 Post by P Turk » June 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm

A fantastic Flannery ribeye on the Weber with an equally fantastic Di Co Napa cab .... long live summer in Chicagoland.
Attachments
F64D0F8D-65E0-4108-8B67-6C4BF6E4B482.jpeg
Phil

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2172 Post by Betty C » June 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm

P Turk wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm
A fantastic Flannery ribeye on the Weber with an equally fantastic Di Co Napa cab .... long live summer in Chicagoland.
Is that a Jorge? Your sear looks mighty fine.
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1367
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Steak Porn

#2173 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » June 15th, 2020, 9:00 am

TGigante wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Can you souis vide above medium? What is max temperature it can be brought to in the water before grilling?
You can sous vide to any temp you like (max on my Joules is 208°F, I've gone as high as 203°F, but not for steak!). There may actually be an advantage, if someone is insisting on a higher level of doneness, that the steak will be more tender than if it was cooked traditionally at that same temperature. Since sous vide is slow, it gives more time for connective tissue collagen to convert to gelatin and for endogenous proteases to tenderize the meat (although they will loose activity at higher temps), and also for fat to render on the interior.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 483
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: Steak Porn

#2174 Post by TGigante » June 15th, 2020, 3:11 pm

[pwn.gif]
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 9:00 am
TGigante wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Can you souis vide above medium? What is max temperature it can be brought to in the water before grilling?
You can sous vide to any temp you like (max on my Joules is 208°F, I've gone as high as 203°F, but not for steak!). There may actually be an advantage, if someone is insisting on a higher level of doneness, that the steak will be more tender than if it was cooked traditionally at that same temperature. Since sous vide is slow, it gives more time for connective tissue collagen to convert to gelatin and for endogenous proteases to tenderize the meat (although they will loose activity at higher temps), and also for fat to render on the interior.
Thanks Kevin. Didn’t know if there was an upper limit that turned steak into a braise type end result
Cheers,
Tony

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1638
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Steak Porn

#2175 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 15th, 2020, 4:13 pm

God I can't wait to post my Jorge steak porn this Saturday. Cooking up a fancy feast for our 5 year wedding anniversary :D
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 141
Joined: May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Steak Porn

#2176 Post by P Turk » June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Betty C wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm
P Turk wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm
A fantastic Flannery ribeye on the Weber with an equally fantastic Di Co Napa cab .... long live summer in Chicagoland.
Is that a Jorge? Your sear looks mighty fine.
Thanks! No, a 16 oz boneless ribeye. It was one of the thicker ones, though, and maybe the camera angle , too.
Phil

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2177 Post by Betty C » June 16th, 2020, 12:12 am

P Turk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Betty C wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm
P Turk wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm
A fantastic Flannery ribeye on the Weber with an equally fantastic Di Co Napa cab .... long live summer in Chicagoland.
Is that a Jorge? Your sear looks mighty fine.
Thanks! No, a 16 oz boneless ribeye. It was one of the thicker ones, though, and maybe the camera angle , too.
Yeah, must be the angle!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3433
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Steak Porn

#2178 Post by ERPark » June 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Betty C wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:12 am
P Turk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Betty C wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm


Is that a Jorge? Your sear looks mighty fine.
Thanks! No, a 16 oz boneless ribeye. It was one of the thicker ones, though, and maybe the camera angle , too.
Yeah, must be the angle!
That’s what she.......oh wait, never mind.
GEN3

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2179 Post by Betty C » June 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm

ERPark wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Betty C wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:12 am
P Turk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 5:56 pm


Thanks! No, a 16 oz boneless ribeye. It was one of the thicker ones, though, and maybe the camera angle , too.
Yeah, must be the angle!
That’s what she.......oh wait, never mind.
[snort.gif]
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1638
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Steak Porn

#2180 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Salting a Jorge for our 5-year wedding anniversary dinner tomorrow 😋
D21428E8-3F9B-494B-BB03-8A46B9F62876.jpeg
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2181 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 19th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Did my best with a 3” steak on a Traeger :0
Attachments
BE4C3192-7D00-47C9-8906-594BA19F847D.jpeg
00E83B6A-5CA0-4F0B-801F-583C461B3106.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1501
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#2182 Post by stevetimko » June 19th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Did my best with a 3” steak on a Traeger :0

Looks good. What temperature or temperatures did you use?
Illegitimati non carborundum

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2183 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 19th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Cooked at 350 to 115 internal, cranked to 500 and pulled at 128. In hindsight, I should have pulled the steak when i turned up the heat so I could have driven a better crust. First time on a Traeger, so I’m ok with it :)

Also would probably have cooked at 300 and taken longer on the front end of the “reverse sear;” we started late and kids were complaining about being hungry.

I also would have pulled at 123, personally, but my friends wanted medium/med rare.
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
stevetimko
Posts: 1501
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: Nevada

Re: Steak Porn

#2184 Post by stevetimko » June 20th, 2020, 9:57 am

It looks like some of the fat didn't render. What would you think about pulling it at 130 or 131?
Illegitimati non carborundum

User avatar
DavidFrankil
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 272
Joined: February 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Location: Cream Ridge, NJ

Re: Steak Porn

#2185 Post by DavidFrankil » June 21st, 2020, 8:53 am

That's my only issue with reverse sear at 225 degrees - doesn't render the fat on some cuts of meat. Works great for filet and less fatty cuts.
My avatar is a twelfth century Berserker Lewis rook, from the British Museum. "He stands armed with a sword and exposes his huge teeth with which he bites into his shield. It is this gesture that identifies him as a Berserker – a fierce warrior drawn from Norse mythology that bites his shield in a self-induced frenzy prior to battle."

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Steak Porn

#2186 Post by Mike Maguire » June 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Salting a Jorge for our 5-year wedding anniversary dinner tomorrow 😋

D21428E8-3F9B-494B-BB03-8A46B9F62876.jpeg
Brian happy anniversary, you’re only 45 behind us.Do you have an after of the Jorge.
I’m cooking a Jorge, tri-tip and a couple of hangers tomorrow for my fishing buddies and wives, any help will be appreciated.Hope things are going well, still haven’t talked to my cousin, I think he may be missing 🙄

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2187 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 27th, 2020, 6:11 am

stevetimko wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 9:57 am
It looks like some of the fat didn't render. What would you think about pulling it at 130 or 131?
If I’m trading off between rendered fat and driving the steak up to a medium temp, I’ll take the former. We usually cook to rare, especially on a prime/dry-aged cut.

Either way, was fun to try out the Traeger, but I’m a much bigger fan of open flame / cast iron skillet for steak.
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1638
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Steak Porn

#2188 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 27th, 2020, 10:50 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Salting a Jorge for our 5-year wedding anniversary dinner tomorrow 😋

D21428E8-3F9B-494B-BB03-8A46B9F62876.jpeg
Brian happy anniversary, you’re only 45 behind us.Do you have an after of the Jorge.
I’m cooking a Jorge, tri-tip and a couple of hangers tomorrow for my fishing buddies and wives, any help will be appreciated.Hope things are going well, still haven’t talked to my cousin, I think he may be missing 🙄
Poor cousin!
AE262E6B-2B6D-4DDA-82AF-21DEE7CA6D2F.jpeg
D2DDF529-FFA0-4FF6-9876-8463A95DD2D1.jpeg
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6322
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Steak Porn

#2189 Post by Mel Hill » June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm

B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg
Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20170
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Steak Porn

#2190 Post by Brian Tuite » June 27th, 2020, 3:22 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm
B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg

Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.
[wow.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Steak Porn

#2191 Post by Mike Maguire » June 27th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:50 am
Mike Maguire wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Salting a Jorge for our 5-year wedding anniversary dinner tomorrow 😋

D21428E8-3F9B-494B-BB03-8A46B9F62876.jpeg
Brian happy anniversary, you’re only 45 behind us.Do you have an after of the Jorge.
I’m cooking a Jorge, tri-tip and a couple of hangers tomorrow for my fishing buddies and wives, any help will be appreciated.Hope things are going well, still haven’t talked to my cousin, I think he may be missing 🙄
Poor cousin!

AE262E6B-2B6D-4DDA-82AF-21DEE7CA6D2F.jpegD2DDF529-FFA0-4FF6-9876-8463A95DD2D1.jpeg
Indeed, looks great I have some in freezer.

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5399
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: Steak Porn

#2192 Post by cjsavino » June 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm
B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg

Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.
Thinking let it get to room temperature and sear like foie gras in a blazing hot pan
Chris
Image

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 902
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2193 Post by Joe Chanley » June 28th, 2020, 7:05 am

cjsavino wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Mel Hill wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm
B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg

Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.
Thinking let it get to room temperature and sear like foie gras in a blazing hot pan
Yes, just enough to warm the fat through

User avatar
Mike Davila
Posts: 473
Joined: August 22nd, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Steak Porn

#2194 Post by Mike Davila » June 28th, 2020, 11:42 am

My new go-to technique is to first cook over oak to get a char, then finish on my gas grill Until 123-125 over low heat.
E1B3B00A-13DA-4272-93CE-3A564E5AFFC4.jpeg
427F2D1E-8C4D-4AF2-958D-6E8AA9D5FEC7.jpeg

Chris S p i k e s
Posts: 2953
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2195 Post by Chris S p i k e s » June 29th, 2020, 8:57 am

Mel Hill wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm
B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg

Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.
What section of Costco were these in? Frozen meats?

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6322
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Steak Porn

#2196 Post by Mel Hill » June 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Chris S p i k e s wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 8:57 am
Mel Hill wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 12:25 pm
B11EA6CA-2F39-4419-9727-7B6F9DDBCF25.jpeg

Saw these today at Costco in Denver burbs.

Never cooked a thing this thin or with that much fat.
What section of Costco were these in? Frozen meats?
they were in the meat dept, across from the the butcher's work area in an end cap. IIRC, they were frozen

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20170
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Steak Porn

#2197 Post by Brian Tuite » June 29th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Flannery California Reserve Ribeye

Indirect on the Weber @450° 6min one side, 4min other side Then 2min per side over flaming coals to sear. Rest 4 minutes.

B50B074E-9D80-4533-9633-558A69205BC4.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2198 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 29th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Home sweet home! Flannery dry-aged rib-eye and a Painted Hills “Flannery Defender” for the kids.
Attachments
41827414-BEC2-47A9-AE29-54BED3DF33CA.jpeg
F4E5D4A2-5516-4F05-8EE6-7714FE03D8D7.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

User avatar
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1597
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Steak Porn

#2199 Post by Brandon R » June 30th, 2020, 7:35 am

Hahaha, "Flannery Defender!" I love it. And, yes, I too do the same thing. I love my kids but, at seven and ten years old, they can eat "normal" steak when we serve it. Don't get me wrong: it's still nice stuff, but not the Flannery (every time). I gladly share the hangers (their favorite) because one package is enough for the whole family. However, when it's a NY or ribeye, one steak is perfect for me and my wife, but I'm not willing to thaw another for them to eat some of it.
B. Redman

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4922
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Steak Porn

#2200 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 4th, 2020, 6:46 am

Straight Painted Hills last night, as they had a hell of a sale locally.
Attachments
8366BB34-8DB0-44C1-B162-2ADF0CFC903B.jpeg
You can find me at the grill, but you’ll need to figure out the URL yourself! @akgrill

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”