GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3701 Post by Sean_S » May 8th, 2020, 4:50 pm

David Fischer wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Geoff F. wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 10:40 pm

There have been a LOT of mystery offers lately though.
I was on a virtual wine tasting with Peay wines last week and Andy Peay mentioned that they are not getting any orders from restaurants any more. I am 100% sure that is true for all wineries. While the % will vary of course, that's is a good 15%-50% of many wineries' businesses/income. The wine has to go somewhere (or least the wine that has already been made - the 2020 vintage could be interesting in regards to volume but that's another thread). Better to get 50 cents on the bottle via a Garagiste mystery offer than pennies via retail (if that) these days. I predict a lot more mystery wines.
Morgan indicated yesterday on bedrock zoom that accounts receivable are down 85% for them.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3702 Post by Ron Slye » May 9th, 2020, 9:36 am

Sean_S wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:50 pm
David Fischer wrote:
Geoff F. wrote:

I was on a virtual wine tasting with Peay wines last week and Andy Peay mentioned that they are not getting any orders from restaurants any more. I am 100% sure that is true for all wineries. While the % will vary of course, that's is a good 15%-50% of many wineries' businesses/income. The wine has to go somewhere (or least the wine that has already been made - the 2020 vintage could be interesting in regards to volume but that's another thread). Better to get 50 cents on the bottle via a Garagiste mystery offer than pennies via retail (if that) these days. I predict a lot more mystery wines.
Morgan indicated yesterday on bedrock zoom that accounts receivable are down 85% for them.

Sean
Ugh. That is perhaps not surprising, but still difficult to read.

Tom W

#3703 Post by Tom W » May 9th, 2020, 1:23 pm

PeterH wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm
Brian Glas wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:08 pm
It is odd you can't even buy this on Cristom's website. The $60 list price is nonsense on WineAccess.
I wonder if the nonsense starts with Rimmerman and WineAccess, or Cristom.
Even if the wine was aimed at a $35 price point, it could be a good deal at less than $25, given that it is Cristom to start with.
Speaking of Cristom, K&L has the 2013 Cristom "Louise Vineyard" Eola-Amity Hills Pinot Noir at $40
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1250020

wine-searcher.com shows it trading in the upper-$50s during the past couple of years.
W a r d

Arv R

#3704 Post by Arv R » May 9th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I had the 2016 Augustins 'Silex' [Vouvray] over the last few days. I had confused it with another producer -- Aubuisieres -- that I quite like, but had not ordered in a few years. The Augustin is a bit cloying and even though dry it feels a touch sweet. And unfortunately it feels too flabby for me, despite being well chilled. The straw / cut hay character of chenin comes through very strong here, and isn't balanced out by the verve good Vourvray can have. It's an ok glass of wine to drink on a hot summer afternoon, but its nothing special. Would have preferred a mass market / bulk produced chenin like Pine Ridge's over this to be honest. This gets a B after a couple days.
R_@_0

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3705 Post by Sean_S » May 9th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Tom W wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 1:23 pm
PeterH wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm
Brian Glas wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:08 pm
It is odd you can't even buy this on Cristom's website. The $60 list price is nonsense on WineAccess.
I wonder if the nonsense starts with Rimmerman and WineAccess, or Cristom.
Even if the wine was aimed at a $35 price point, it could be a good deal at less than $25, given that it is Cristom to start with.
Speaking of Cristom, K&L has the 2013 Cristom "Louise Vineyard" Eola-Amity Hills Pinot Noir at $40
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1250020

wine-searcher.com shows it trading in the upper-$50s during the past couple of years.
I bought a horizontal of the '13 estate blocks in 375's a few years back when visiting and all those 13's were killer. Long gone maybe time for some more....

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3706 Post by TGigante » May 10th, 2020, 1:19 pm

1995 Felsina Chianti Classico Berardenga Riserva just offered up.
I was drinking the 1994 version of this on the Berserker Zoom on Friday and really loving it at 26 years. I had purchased it from Garagiste in 2013. Going to give the 95 a spin
Cheers,
Tony

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3707 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » May 11th, 2020, 8:29 am

Finally opened a 2012 Ty Caton TyTanium Caton Vineyard - it was a Sonoma mystery wine that I bought in Dec 2018 for about $38. Interesting blend of 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Syrah, 19% Petite Sirah, 8% Merlot, 5% Malbec that sells for $135 from the winery. Not something I would have sought out, but I am glad I have a couple more. Delicious flavor profile of dark of black fruit and incredibly smooth mouthfeel. If anyone else bought this offer, I suggest opening one! Drinking beautifully.

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3708 Post by Larry Chmel » May 11th, 2020, 9:08 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:29 am
Finally opened a 2012 Ty Caton TyTanium Caton Vineyard - it was a Sonoma mystery wine that I bought in Dec 2018 for about $38. Interesting blend of 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Syrah, 19% Petite Sirah, 8% Merlot, 5% Malbec that sells for $135 from the winery. Not something I would have sought out, but I am glad I have a couple more. Delicious flavor profile of dark of black fruit and incredibly smooth mouthfeel. If anyone else bought this offer, I suggest opening one! Drinking beautifully.
+1 on Ty Caton TyTanium. Under rated producer that doesn't get a lot of mention on this site.

Al Ehrhardt

#3709 Post by Al Ehrhardt » May 11th, 2020, 11:22 am

David Fischer wrote:
Geoff F. wrote:

After being burned a couple times with mystery wines several years ago, I will no longer bite. If wineries have no current on-premise orders, what's wrong with a winery (who usually sells mainly on-premise) selling through Garagiste which sells directly to geeks? Not that I have a problem selling to off-premise when needed, these bottles aren't even out there on a shelf. IMO, they would sell more wine disclosing it in the offer, since many people will not take a flyer on a mystery offer.

This economic climate can't support the elitism that a winery will only sell on-premise. If your supporters who buy your wines in a restaurant, but can't eat/drink in a restaurant, why shouldn't they be able to purchase and drink at home?

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3710 Post by TGigante » May 11th, 2020, 11:35 am

Al Ehrhardt wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 11:22 am
David Fischer wrote:
Geoff F. wrote:

After being burned a couple times with mystery wines several years ago, I will no longer bite. If wineries have no current on-premise orders, what's wrong with a winery (who usually sells mainly on-premise) selling through Garagiste which sells directly to geeks? Not that I have a problem selling to off-premise when needed, these bottles aren't even out there on a shelf. IMO, they would sell more wine disclosing it in the offer, since many people will not take a flyer on a mystery offer.

This economic climate can't support the elitism that a winery will only sell on-premise. If your supporters who buy your wines in a restaurant, but can't eat/drink in a restaurant, why shouldn't they be able to purchase and drink at home?
Rimmerman knows what he is doing. He has enough mystery wine buyers to sell through what he needs to

That may be a bargaining chip he uses To get availability verses other flash sites. Then he can tout the offering with his FOMO verbiage
Cheers,
Tony

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3711 Post by Brent S » May 11th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Smoking deal tonight on Il poggione brunello at $57. I just bought at hi times at $70. Had to buy more.
Brent S

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3712 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » May 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Brent S wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 7:15 pm
Smoking deal tonight on Il poggione brunello at $57. I just bought at hi times at $70. Had to buy more.
I was busy with the family and saw the e-mail a half-hour after it arrived. Sold out.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3713 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » May 12th, 2020, 11:37 am

Missed the Il Poggione as well. Great price.

Tom W

#3714 Post by Tom W » May 19th, 2020, 1:03 pm

FYI, K&L has had the 2014 Leeuwin Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon Margaret River on "Insider's Advantage" at $40 for many months - since at least early Aug. 2019. Still plenty of inventory per the site.
W a r d

Vince L.

#3715 Post by Vince L. » May 22nd, 2020, 1:07 pm

When do they reveal what their Mystery Wine is? After you've been allocated, or literally when it arrives at your doorstep?
l e r t

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3716 Post by TGigante » May 22nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:07 pm
When do they reveal what their Mystery Wine is? After you've been allocated, or literally when it arrives at your doorstep?
Garagiste never reveals the name. You find out when you open the box. Or someone who is local and picks up in Seattle mighty post here 1st
Cheers,
Tony

Vince L.

#3717 Post by Vince L. » May 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm

TGigante wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:28 pm
Vince L. wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:07 pm
Garagiste never reveals the name. You find out when you open the box. Or someone who is local and picks up in Seattle mighty post here 1st
Wow so for some that could be a year from now.

I got in on that WA Sangiovese & tempted by the Brunellos

Thx
l e r t

Kenny E.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3718 Post by Kenny E. » May 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm

I grabbed some of the Washington Merlot a while back. I'm not usually one for surprise's but at 16 bucks it was hard to pass up. Wish I had gotten more now. Its really tasty.

It was a 2016 Wala Wala Merlot btw.
Kenny Elliott

Arv R

#3719 Post by Arv R » May 23rd, 2020, 11:44 am

Any guesses on this one? My guess based on the description was maybe something from the Brolio Ricasoli stable. I don't seem to find any emails from Rimmerman ever mentioning the name (which fits one of his descriptors in that its never been offered) and it does seem like their wines are sometimes changing hands at that price point.

=========

We interrupt our Brunello Mystery series to bring you this instead – a deal I was offered last night (after a few Tuscan-centric revelers read the Brunello offers). It’s from a famous estate with a very long track record in the region. The vineyard is south-facing/high elevation (500 meters or more) and we’ve never offered this wine in any vintage.

I tend to quickly glance at a lot of offers like this but when it’s a 2016 (with this level of pedigree), I stop what I’m doing and dive in further.

The result of that “dive in” is this morning’s offer – one that is downright amazing at $19+.

Let’s put it this way, the $ is so low for a Riserva of this class (one small step below Gran Selezione) that I thought the bottle format was a 375ml. The winery’s regular Chianti Classico usually trades for more than this and we’re not even considering that this is a Riserva from one of the finest vintages of the last 20 years – 2016 (and they already have multiple 90pt+ scores and fantastic verbiage from a number of important voices).

Let’s summarize:

• This is a full 750ml, not a 375ml.

• It’s a 2016.

• It’s of superlative quality.

• It’s a Riserva.

• The provenance is outstanding.

We’ve never offered this wine in our history (Mystery or other) and I can’t recall offering anything from this winery? Like several “firsts” of late, this is a darn good time to begin the relationship!

What a deal for the community!

This parcel is set to arrive the week of June 8th with the finest/freshest provenance available – it is not a long-term pre-arrival (this is the exact same wine, cork, label, bottle and contents as what trades out in the nethersphere as I type this). It is not Volpaia or Felsina but it is a long-standing famous winery!

ONE SHIPMENT ONLY at this $ (we cannot obtain a second parcel of 2016 at this $).

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 12/person until we run out:

2016 Chianti Classico Riserva Mystery 750ml (Tuscany) - $19.94
R_@_0

Adam G

#3720 Post by Adam G » May 23rd, 2020, 11:03 pm

No idea, but I put in for 4. I'm usually satisfied with his Tuscan selections.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Kasey Dubler

#3721 Post by Kasey Dubler » May 26th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Has anybody picked up their Barolo Mystery wines from April 10th? Not sure when they were delivered, I'm just curious...

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3722 Post by PeterH » June 2nd, 2020, 9:39 pm

Kasey Dubler wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Has anybody picked up their Barolo Mystery wines from April 10th? Not sure when they were delivered, I'm just curious...
Covalli, which got a 92 JS. I can't find tasting notes, and the asking price is ~$25. At roughly $19 from Garagiste, probably a pass if not purchased blind. I hope not a fin tossed to the wind.

On another plane-2016 Tuscan Mystery, Bibi Graetz Testamatta. Again, Suckling points, and only about 10% below WS low.

2015 Wa State single vineyard Bordeaux blend Mystery is Soos Creek Ciel du Cheval. This I approve of as a real deal, but not exciting enough to cause Jon to wet his pants over.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Vince L.

#3723 Post by Vince L. » June 2nd, 2020, 9:47 pm

Did anyone pickup the any of Memorial Day Brunello? They all say arrived; I ordered #2 & #3 but probably won't get a full case to ship till next the Fall or next Spring
l e r t

Tom W

#3724 Post by Tom W » June 2nd, 2020, 9:56 pm

PeterH wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 9:39 pm
Kasey Dubler wrote:
Covalli, which got a 92 JS. I can't find tasting notes, and the asking price is ~$25. At roughly $19 from Garagiste, probably a pass if not purchased blind. I hope not a fin tossed to the wind.

On another plane-2016 Tuscan Mystery, Bibi Graetz Testamatta. Again, Suckling points, and only about 10% below WS low.

2015 Wa State single vineyard Bordeaux blend Mystery is Soos Creek Ciel du Cheval. This I approve of as a real deal, but not exciting enough to cause Jon to wet his pants over.
Boy am I glad I passed on all three of those. It seems Garagiste is really fading (and I'm probably late to that realization). I mean, selling mysteries on a "92" that turns out to be from "subtract-six Suckling". We're a long, long way from finding hip "garagiste" producers down some dirt road somewhere in a corner of France. This seems like somebody with broad distribution taking calls from people desperate to unload inventory. [bleh.gif]
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3725 Post by PeterH » June 2nd, 2020, 10:12 pm

If not yet confirmed, the "Earth" Mystery white is, as expected, Delille Chaleur Blanc. Jon does better on whites than reds.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Brian Glas

#3726 Post by Brian Glas » June 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm

PeterH wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:12 pm
If not yet confirmed, the "Earth" Mystery white is, as expected, Delille Chaleur Blanc. Jon does better on whites than reds.
Was just going to post but I see you beat me to it. Great deal at $19.91. I asked if they had any more at that price. Alas no.

M Mager

#3727 Post by M Mager » June 5th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm
PeterH wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 10:12 pm
Was just going to post but I see you beat me to it. Great deal at $19.91. I asked if they had any more at that price. Alas no.
Agreed. Love the value on that one. I never "go long" on Mystery Wines, but felt confident enough on this one to by a few. Will drink one now, and stash the rest of the in the back of the cellar for at least a decade, to see what happens to them. I think they can age in very interesting ways...
Michael

Arv R

#3728 Post by Arv R » June 5th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Tom W wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 9:56 pm
PeterH wrote:
Kasey Dubler wrote:

Boy am I glad I passed on all three of those. It seems Garagiste is really fading (and I'm probably late to that realization). I mean, selling mysteries on a "92" that turns out to be from "subtract-six Suckling". We're a long, long way from finding hip "garagiste" producers down some dirt road somewhere in a corner of France. This seems like somebody with broad distribution taking calls from people desperate to unload inventory. [bleh.gif]
I've been buying from them since the turn of the century and my understanding always that the mysteries could be blowouts from anywhere, but the stuff he sold on a named basis was much more likely to be in his own taste. Esp, if was a FreeRun import, but you generally could not find that out til it was delivered.

Generally I won't buy more than 1 mystery or so a year.
R_@_0

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3729 Post by TGigante » June 5th, 2020, 5:09 pm

PeterH wrote:
Kasey Dubler wrote:

Jon wets his pants frequently
He probably uses depends so he can continue to write his prose uninterrupted by having to change

He is a great marketer and uses all the marketing tools in his disposal to sell wine. He is also a good businessman as he gets access to good deals through his varied contacts and can pass along such deals to his customer base

Like any other merchant, do your diligence before you buy and you will generally be satisfied With their offers. If you buy on Jon’s Peterman like descriptions, you are rolling the dice
Cheers,
Tony

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3730 Post by Geoff F. » June 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Any idea what the Cornas mystery is? At $78.71, it's probably decent juice - but whose? Lots of producers make a Cornas in that ballpark - Clape Renaissance? Aurelien Chatagnier? Chapoutier? Coulet? Courbis? Yves Cuilleron? Franck Balthazar? Guillaume Gilles? Souillard? Pacalet?

My money would normally be on Vincent Paris but he only makes one Cornas close to that price point and it's available in the $60s.
F r a n z

RichardFB

#3731 Post by RichardFB » June 8th, 2020, 8:14 pm

According to Rimmerman:

“This is the first time we’ve offered this wine in any vintage.”

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3732 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 8th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Sounds like gilles

Tom W

#3733 Post by Tom W » June 8th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:15 pm
Sounds like gilles
Sold Out
W a r d

Cbonnell

#3734 Post by Cbonnell » June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 pm

Today’s mystery cab - a good deal? Or...

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3735 Post by MatthewT » June 22nd, 2020, 2:17 pm

he hedges A LOT here. pass. "Highly noted by a variety of palates, this is still a steep investment but the Blue Line $ below is among the lowest you will come across – especially in a vintage of grandeur like 2016."
I'm a Turk, though not from Turkey, it's actually my last name

RichardFB

#3736 Post by RichardFB » June 22nd, 2020, 2:45 pm

“he hedges A LOT here. pass.“

Agreed. When he says “among the lowest,” that means “not close to the lowest.” When he says “at least 98 points,” that just means Suckling has reviewed it.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3737 Post by MatthewT » June 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm

Yes. Hard pass.

M a x S w o m l e y

#3738 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » June 22nd, 2020, 3:23 pm

MatthewT wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:06 pm
Yes. Hard pass.
Based on what I've been reading it seems like Garagiste is rarely a deal... accurate?

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3739 Post by MatthewT » June 22nd, 2020, 3:31 pm

correct.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3740 Post by Ron Slye » June 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm

M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 3:23 pm
MatthewT wrote:
Yes. Hard pass.
Based on what I've been reading it seems like Garagiste is rarely a deal... accurate?
I think usually the prices are competitive. Sometimes a few dollars less than elsewhere on a 30 or 40 dollar bottle. Some have notes that the whites tend to be better deals. Others have more experience than I, but I think the big thing to be cautious about is the hyperbolic descriptions. I tend to buy things I know I like, and rarely do mysteries. When I was newer to wine and exploring more, the mysteries were a good way to do that.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3741 Post by MatthewT » June 22nd, 2020, 4:14 pm

I still know nothing about wine and have done dozens of mysteries over the years going back to 2012 and have really never been that impressed. Yet I still do them, which is hilarious.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3742 Post by Ron Slye » June 22nd, 2020, 4:17 pm

Lol. First time? Shame on them. Not sure what happens when you reach a dozen!

Arv R

#3743 Post by Arv R » June 24th, 2020, 4:20 pm

R_@_0

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3744 Post by Sean_S » June 24th, 2020, 8:04 pm

MatthewT wrote:
Yes. Hard pass.
I find lost of interesting wines often at exceptional prices from Garagiste but I don't buy mysteries. Agree on better success on whites than reds but I have discovered a lot of really nice wines from them (again not mystery wines). They have totally killed it with cheap Muscadette and Rose over the years, IMO. Professional reviews and CT notes help a lot but some are just not covered. The Eric Forest Chardonnay he offered the other day tends to be really good based on my previous experience but it seems like no one else in the US imports it.

Sean
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3745 Post by Jason R. » June 25th, 2020, 9:58 am

Sean_S wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:04 pm
MatthewT wrote:
Yes. Hard pass.
I find lost of interesting wines often at exceptional prices from Garagiste but I don't buy mysteries. Agree on better success on whites than reds but I have discovered a lot of really nice wines from them (again not mystery wines). They have totally killed it with cheap Muscadette and Rose over the years, IMO. Professional reviews and CT notes help a lot but some are just not covered. The Eric Forest Chardonnay he offered the other day tends to be really good based on my previous experience but it seems like no one else in the US imports it.

Sean
Love Eric Forest. For those in the DC area, my old local wine shop, Arrowine in Arlington, works with an importer who brings in almost his entire line-up . They even offered his 24 Carat last year. Sitting on those :). Rimmerman’s price on the Roche was pretty sharp. I snipe occasional known quantities like this from him, nothing else.

Edited once because of clumsy fingers and early submit :)
R o b e r t s o n

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3746 Post by Dennis Borczon » June 25th, 2020, 10:13 am

MatthewT wrote:
Yes. Hard pass.
Last Bottle and WTSO are where there are actual deals...most of the time. But you have to sift through those carefully. Did miss the deal on Salmon Champagne yesterday on Last Bottle. Rats!

Brian Glas

#3747 Post by Brian Glas » June 26th, 2020, 7:40 am

I think it is hard to generalize. Has anyone here seen John sell mystery wines at a price that is much higher than then what you can find from other retailers?

I don't buy many of his mystery wines but over the last 6 months I have bought 3. The Cristom was misrepresented but John still sold it at a fair price. The Angela Estate Pinot was a great deal at $14. Also the Chaleur Estate Blanc was a screaming good deal at < $20.

M Mager

#3748 Post by M Mager » June 26th, 2020, 9:20 am

Brian Glas wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:40 am
I think it is hard to generalize. Has anyone here seen John sell mystery wines at a price that is much higher than then what you can find from other retailers?
I've purchased a number of their Mystery offers. Mostly just 1 or 2 bottles, and partly because I am just interested to see which wineries/distributors are turning to him to move pallets of wine for a discount. Overall, I've been pleased at the value I've received for the mystery wines I've purchased at the prices I've paid. They've for the most part been wines I've enjoyed, and the prices are almost always below what I could find at retail here in PacNW. I would guess that, on average, they are offered at 20-30% below "normal retail" around here. No where near the value hype that "J Peterman" writes about, but a good deal nonetheless.

I've found a few rules of thumb that help cut thru the thick layer of the flowery bullshit that Rimmerman writes:

1) In reading the offer e-mails, simply completely disregard anything that can't be objectively verified. If the offer says it's a 2018 Cotes du Rhone from producer X that he's offering at $15, that's probably true. Anything that's in any way subjective, or not easily verified, just discard it -- all of it. The "discount price hype", the rambling stories about tooling around the back roads of France, the "one-man band winemaker living in a hut", the BIO/organic blather, etc. Delete it mentally as you read it. It's all just about getting you to think about something other than the wine he's actually offering.
2) That is especially true for Mystery wines. If he says "... it's not 2015, 2016, 2018, or 2019 vintage ...", don't then make the assumption it's 2017 vintage. Just know it's not one of the vintages listed. That's all. Don't try to fill in the lines and infer information not stated. That's what he's trying to get you to do -- and he knows you'll likely fill it in with the most positive interpretation (which it generally isn't).
3) Most importantly -- the quality of the wine, and the related value at his offer price, is almost always inversely proportional to the length of the offer. When he knows he's selling "steak" (good wine at good price), he just lets the steak sell itself. For example, his Huet offers (which are a decent amount below Huet retail here) are short and sweet. On the other end of the spectrum, he'll sell "sizzle" when he's not sure he has steak. Those are his multiple page wandering blathers that spend most of the verbage talking about everything but the wine itself. Major red flag.

That all being said, the wines he offers are generally good value (in my experience). Pretty much always at prices below other retail here in Seattle area. And he brings in a lot of stuff that otherwise never hits the market here. I'm local to his warehouse, so I can just run by and pick up easily. I wouldn't bother with buying from him if I had to deal with ship costs and delays (as that eats into a lot of the value). And, yes, overall he does better with picking whites (and rose) than reds.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Michael
Michael

Tom W

#3749 Post by Tom W » June 26th, 2020, 9:34 am

M Mager wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:20 am
Brian Glas wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:40 am
I've purchased a number of their Mystery offers. Mostly just 1 or 2 bottles, and partly because I am just interested to see which wineries/distributors are turning to him to move pallets of wine for a discount. Overall, I've been pleased at the value I've received for the mystery wines I've purchased at the prices I've paid. They've for the most part been wines I've enjoyed, and the prices are almost always below what I could find at retail here in PacNW. I would guess that, on average, they are offered at 20-30% below "normal retail" around here. No where near the value hype that "J Peterman" writes about, but a good deal nonetheless.

I've found a few rules of thumb that help cut thru the thick layer of the flowery bullshit that Rimmerman writes:

1) In reading the offer e-mails, simply completely disregard anything that can't be objectively verified. If the offer says it's a 2018 Cotes du Rhone from producer X that he's offering at $15, that's probably true. Anything that's in any way subjective, or not easily verified, just discard it -- all of it. The "discount price hype", the rambling stories about tooling around the back roads of France, the "one-man band winemaker living in a hut", the BIO/organic blather, etc. Delete it mentally as you read it. It's all just about getting you to think about something other than the wine he's actually offering.
2) That is especially true for Mystery wines. If he says "... it's not 2015, 2016, 2018, or 2019 vintage ...", don't then make the assumption it's 2017 vintage. Just know it's not one of the vintages listed. That's all. Don't try to fill in the lines and infer information not stated. That's what he's trying to get you to do -- and he knows you'll likely fill it in with the most positive interpretation (which it generally isn't).
3) Most importantly -- the quality of the wine, and the related value at his offer price, is almost always inversely proportional to the length of the offer. When he knows he's selling "steak" (good wine at good price), he just lets the steak sell itself. For example, his Huet offers (which are a decent amount below Huet retail here) are short and sweet. On the other end of the spectrum, he'll sell "sizzle" when he's not sure he has steak. Those are his multiple page wandering blathers that spend most of the verbage talking about everything but the wine itself. Major red flag.

That all being said, the wines he offers are generally good value (in my experience). Pretty much always at prices below other retail here in Seattle area. And he brings in a lot of stuff that otherwise never hits the market here. I'm local to his warehouse, so I can just run by and pick up easily. I wouldn't bother with buying from him if I had to deal with ship costs and delays (as that eats into a lot of the value). And, yes, overall he does better with picking whites (and rose) than reds.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Michael
Great post, and all of it is broadly applicable well beyond Rimmerspeak and wine. Image all the people... practicing healthy skepticism... when faced with hype and blabber...

Aside, re: "his Huet offers ...are short and sweet". Not always, some of them are semi-sweet ;)
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3750 Post by PeterH » June 26th, 2020, 10:08 am

The Billecart-Salmon "Cuvee Louis" currently offered is a deal at $129. As always, and not just with Garagiste, you have to ask yourself if that is a wine you really want.

I had to move about 20 cases of wine to make room for a home repair project, and those were all overflow from my cellar, so I'm thinking what I really need is less wine, not more.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Return to “Wine Talk”