Gourmet houses still shipping

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Gourmet houses still shipping

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 16th, 2020, 7:13 am

This would be a good place to let people know where you can order. Probably will need continual updating.

D’Artagnan is offering free shipping, and there is a special deal on their excellent cassoulet kit.
Flannery is still shipping.
ITB

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Gourmet houses still shipping

#2 Post by Joshua Kates » March 16th, 2020, 8:28 am

Good to know, Mark,
Thanks!
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong » March 17th, 2020, 5:00 am

Bean casseroles, via online delivery? I wonder if they can throw in a few rolls of toilet paper, as pairing. pileon
WineHunter.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 18th, 2020, 11:03 am

Still shipping but short on choice.
PlanoWino

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Robert Dentice » March 19th, 2020, 2:36 am

SOS Chefs is hurting bad. As you can imagine when restaurants shut down their business went to close to zero. We live close by and my wife picked up some stunning Morels yesterday. Support them if you can. It is an amazing store that has survived 911, the financial crisis etc. but this is the worse.

https://sos-chefs.com

Stan Y.

#6 Post by Stan Y. » March 19th, 2020, 7:05 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 2:36 am
SOS Chefs is hurting bad...Support them if you can.
20 bucks for a standard-size bottle of rice vinegar that I buy from our local mom-and-pop Thai / Vietnamese store for under 4 bucks?

https://sos-chefs.com/collections/vineg ... ce-vinegar
S. Y @ t € s

Sarah Kirschbaum

#7 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 19th, 2020, 7:33 am

Stan Y. wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 7:05 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 2:36 am
SOS Chefs is hurting bad...Support them if you can.
20 bucks for a standard-size bottle of rice vinegar that I buy from our local mom-and-pop Thai / Vietnamese store for under 4 bucks?

https://sos-chefs.com/collections/vineg ... ce-vinegar
Try finding high quality fresh morels or white asparagus or Persian pistachios at your local mom and pop store. So this isn't the place to buy rice vinegar - I don't buy paper towels at the gourmet store either. Robert is trying to promote an amazing business most of whose inventory is NOT redundant to the local bodega. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. But please, this isn't the time for such negativity.

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Br1an Th0rne » March 19th, 2020, 8:38 am

Holy Grail is still shipping; ordered some from Cameron (Flannery too) over the weekend when they were both having sales. Does anyone know if Holy Grail still has a discount code for Wine Berserkers? The Berserker20 code no longer works.

Stan Y.

#9 Post by Stan Y. » March 19th, 2020, 9:01 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 7:33 am
Try finding high quality fresh morels or white asparagus or Persian pistachios at your local mom and pop store. So this isn't the place to buy rice vinegar - I don't buy paper towels at the gourmet store either. Robert is trying to promote an amazing business most of whose inventory is NOT redundant to the local bodega. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. But please, this isn't the time for such negativity.
What you see in the store is not what I'm seeing on the website, it is unfortunate. $4 vinegar for $20 doesn't reflect well on the business.
S. Y @ t € s

Sarah Kirschbaum

#10 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 19th, 2020, 11:41 am

It is also unfortunate that, at a time when many of us are trying to exercise generosity of spirit, you choose to take time out of your day to point out a shortcoming of this business that is fighting for its life.

It is your right to do so. But maybe right now is a time to choose not to.

Scott G r u n e r

#11 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 19th, 2020, 11:46 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 7:13 am
This would be a good place to let people know where you can order. Probably will need continual updating.

D’Artagnan is offering free shipping, and there is a special deal on their excellent cassoulet kit.
I got a d'Artagnan shipment literally a month ago. Though the cassoulet is tempting- I would have to figure out how to split it with just the four of us, though it actually does freeze reasonably well I have learned from the past- does dry out a bit.
//Cynic

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 19th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 11:46 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 7:13 am

I got a d'Artagnan shipment literally a month ago. Though the cassoulet is tempting- I would have to figure out how to split it with just the four of us, though it actually does freeze reasonably well I have learned from the past- does dry out a bit.
I ordered the full size for 2, maybe 4. Lots of cassoulet over the weekend.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 19th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Murray’s cheese is shipping. A few cheeses unavailable, but got most of what I wanted.
ITB

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 20th, 2020, 12:26 pm

We ordered from d'Artagnan and have had terrible results with shipping most likely because FedEx and other package delivery companies are besieged. We received one box today (a day late) that had part of our order in it. We then received a tracking email that said another box would be delivered on Monday. This was all in one order. I can't imagine the part of the order that won't be delivered until Monday will be safe to eat. My wife call d'Artagnan and explained the problem. There were hesitant but agreed to send the rest of the shipment on Monday for Tuesday delivery.

Our Costco order also came three days late because Costco was backed up but we did get an email from them on the day of the expected delivery saying they were delayed. The supply chain is getting hammered.
PlanoWino

Dale Williams

#15 Post by Dale Williams » March 20th, 2020, 1:14 pm

We got D'Artangan (duck breasts) today on schedule. Sure delivery system is hammered but NJ to NY probably easier than Texas.
I thought about Flannery or Holy Grail, but looking at DJIA maybe my "splurge" should be Rancho Gordo.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 21st, 2020, 6:29 am

Had a one day shipping delay, went out a day late.perfectly understandable and it was shipped overnight. Delicious food but I made a mistake ordering the full 12 person version.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 21st, 2020, 7:54 am

Gustiamo an Italian supplier in the Bronx is still shipping.

Very expensive but top notch products. The tomato concentrate is amazing, a far better substitute for tomato paste and will keep in the fridge for a year.
ITB

Stan Y.

#18 Post by Stan Y. » March 21st, 2020, 11:29 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 7:54 am
Gustiamo an Italian supplier in the Bronx is still shipping.

Very expensive but top notch products. The tomato concentrate is amazing, a far better substitute for tomato paste and will keep in the fridge for a year.
I have a case of Martelli pasta arriving from them Tuesday. If you haven't tried Martelli, highly recommended, very distinctive flavor and texture.
S. Y @ t € s

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by RyanC » March 21st, 2020, 11:33 am

I've been ordering pasture-raised/grass-fed meat from local farms. No lines, door-to-door delivery, great meat, and it supports small business.

I know that some of the bigger beef purveyors (44 Farms, Flannery) are also still shipping.
C@ughey

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by J a y H a c k » March 21st, 2020, 2:35 pm

I do not make cassoulet because the carbs are too high, but I can speak up for the d'Artagnan cassoulet kit because I had it once when someone else made it and it was outstanding.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Robert M yers » March 21st, 2020, 3:36 pm

I’ve been looking for Fermin Iberico de Bellotta pork for awhile now since our local grocer stopped carrying it. I finally found a source and put in an order. Seriously takes pork to the next level, the fat is just insane. Best bacon I’ve ever had as well, but the other cuts are really the highlight.
As a bonus they carry el bulli “Olives”. I’ve heard about them but since I never made it to Spain I figured why not, if we are going to be shut in, might as well do it right.

https://ibericousa.com/

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 23rd, 2020, 5:32 am

https://wholey.com/
Good seafood.
ITB

Ramon C

#23 Post by Ramon C » March 23rd, 2020, 7:47 am

Not shipping, but I'll still add for those who can run out and pick up supplies.

DiPalo's in NYC will receive call-in orders, which is what we always do in any case to avoid the long wait lines to buy stuff, and usually can be picked up asap.
@brera

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 25th, 2020, 6:39 am

https://wholey.com/

Seafood house. Just bought colossal crab which is pasteurized and will keep in fridge for several months.

Also bought kippers (smoked herring) which are delicious and will therefore be consumed in two days.
ITB

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 25th, 2020, 11:28 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 12:26 pm
We ordered from d'Artagnan and have had terrible results with shipping most likely because FedEx and other package delivery companies are besieged. We received one box today (a day late) that had part of our order in it. We then received a tracking email that said another box would be delivered on Monday. This was all in one order. I can't imagine the part of the order that won't be delivered until Monday will be safe to eat. My wife call d'Artagnan and explained the problem. There were hesitant but agreed to send the rest of the shipment on Monday for Tuesday delivery.

Our Costco order also came three days late because Costco was backed up but we did get an email from them on the day of the expected delivery saying they were delayed. The supply chain is getting hammered.
We finally received the rest of our order after four days. Not too sure if any of it is good. The first shipment arrived on Thursday. The last on Monday. My wife contacted d'Artagnan on Friday about the missing items. They said that they would reship on Monday for Tuesday delivery. It is Wednesday. No shipment. No tracking. No communication. Yesterday, the day the shipment was supposed to arrive, my wife sent them an email about the missing shipment. No response yet. The caution here is that given the crazy times don't expect your shipment to arrive in its entirety or at all for that matter.
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 25th, 2020, 11:30 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:35 pm
I do not make cassoulet because the carbs are too high, but I can speak up for the d'Artagnan cassoulet kit because I had it once when someone else made it and it was outstanding.
I will second that. We have had the kit on three occasions now. The first kit was prepared by a friend of ours from La Rochelle, France who was in town for a two month holiday visit. My wife made it once and then our friend from La Rochelle came back and made it the third time. All three times, it was outstanding. However, our friend made some minor modifications which my wife incorporated into her preparation.
PlanoWino

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 29th, 2020, 9:33 pm

British food depot is shipping some of my favorite foods. If you have never had Cadbury’s flake, now is your chance. I warn you the English baked beans are not good.
ITB

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Siun o'Connell » March 30th, 2020, 8:48 am

Just discovered a very cool listing of small Chicago businesses that will ship and it included a favorite of mine, Long Table Pancakes. They make three delicious pancake mixes and carry really good maple syrup (try the ginger root infused one!) One of the mixes is even gluten free and yet tastes great! http://longtablepancakes.com

The website with the listing is a project of UofC and there's an awful lot of neat stuff including food options. - https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/30 ... 69cd8189b3

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Joshua Kates » May 15th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Reviving this thread, as I have been having lots of luck with this place:https://www.regalisfoods.com/

They are throwing in an 1oz of Kaluga with every order over $100. We had their Carabinieres (spanish red prawns) flash frozen, which were as close as you can get to being in Barcelona, and their San Diego Uni, also now on sale I believe, is really delicious. Mushrooms--porcini/morels--also very good and lots of other stuff. They are not very communicative--no phone or email--but they have always been spot on with orders.

Sorry, btw, to hear about troubles with D'Artagnan. I have alway had great customer service from them and we order relatively frequently.
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”