Wine Refrigerators

A section for those relatively new to wine, 'geeks in training', and for common wine topics
Message
Author
J@redC
Posts: 52
Joined: March 9th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#101 Post by J@redC » March 9th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
April 20th, 2015, 1:11 pm
The company with the best reputation for customer service is Le Cache.
The company with the worst reputation for customer service is Vinotemp.

I've had a no frills Avanti for the last 18 years that just keeps chugging along. No idea if they are still of the same quality.
Second Le Cache customer service. Phenomenal.
0 h e n

A.Khanna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20
Joined: February 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#102 Post by A.Khanna » March 10th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Lonnie F. wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 6:14 pm
A.Khanna wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 7:15 pm
Anyone have experience with this WE fridge available at Costco on sale at the moment?
https://www.costco.com/wine-enthusiast- ... 78590.html

I have been searching for a 300+ bottle fridge at a decent price point and would love to get a few suggestions.
Thanks for looking around. I just ordered this one. 300 bottles for less than $7 per bottle plus electricity. I just got tired of the Craigslist grind and I like the idea of white glove delivery.
You are welcome. Let me know so that I can get one for myself
Akshit Khanna

Barry T
Posts: 5
Joined: October 20th, 2019, 6:29 am

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#103 Post by Barry T » March 12th, 2020, 8:59 am

I think I pretty much figured out the answer to my question (some time ago). At this point I don't plan on keeping any wine any longer than 4-5 years so my GE Monogram Wine Cooler should be just fine, I think. I've lost some storage space due to adjusting the shelving. It's maintaining a constant 55f. Right now I don't think I really need to invest in a EuroCave.
Barry Trub

User avatar
tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 68
Joined: November 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#104 Post by tpetty » March 15th, 2020, 8:18 am

I just ordered an Allavino wine frig. I was very limited in the dimensions that would fit in my bar. We designed a gap in the bar cabinets/counter for a beer kegerator when we built the house. Now replacing that with some wine storage. Went with this, Allavino's newest model and supposedly more quiet and more consistent temps. Only holds 100 bottles, but given my space I was very limited - not only with width but with depth (and still able to get the door open, because it's in a weird angled area.)
https://www.beveragefactory.com/refrige ... ellar.html
Just a $1000. Yep, I'm a high roller.
T o d d *** P e t t y

Vince L.
Posts: 127
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#105 Post by Vince L. » April 13th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Artevino 3 at Costco is on sale. $200 off till mid May.
Wish I had a place to put it.
l e r t

User avatar
Troy Stark
Posts: 453
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#106 Post by Troy Stark » April 14th, 2020, 5:20 am

We love our Artevino 3s. Maintains temp and humidity perfectly. Compressors are pretty quiet - I have them both in my office and am on the phone all day and the noise never bothers me.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Vince L.
Posts: 127
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#107 Post by Vince L. » April 15th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Troy Stark wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 5:20 am
We love our Artevino 3s. Maintains temp and humidity perfectly. Compressors are pretty quiet - I have them both in my office and am on the phone all day and the noise never bothers me.
Glad to know; Did you purchase more shelves? I don't like how Costco displays them stacked up 2x-3x per shelf.
l e r t

User avatar
Troy Stark
Posts: 453
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#108 Post by Troy Stark » April 15th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Vince L. wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Troy Stark wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 5:20 am
We love our Artevino 3s. Maintains temp and humidity perfectly. Compressors are pretty quiet - I have them both in my office and am on the phone all day and the noise never bothers me.
Glad to know; Did you purchase more shelves? I don't like how Costco displays them stacked up 2x-3x per shelf.
Yep we did. You can order them from Wine Enthusiast. They'll know exactly which ones you need.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

User avatar
Troy Stark
Posts: 453
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#109 Post by Troy Stark » April 15th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Also ordered carbon filters from Wine Enthusiast.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Vince L.
Posts: 127
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#110 Post by Vince L. » April 15th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Thx good to know for when we close on our own place and I convince the wifey to drop $2K on a wine fridge. lol
l e r t

User avatar
Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 11:18 am

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#111 Post by Steve L Gellman » April 15th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Waiting too see if Le Cache is going to have any type of sale

Ed L
Posts: 1
Joined: April 15th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#112 Post by Ed L » April 16th, 2020, 9:57 am

Hi Berserkers!

Love the information given on this forum. I found a place on craigslist selling open box/new/maybe damaged wine fridges in fremont/Newerk area. Anybody have experience with buying from these places (has 30+ fridges)?

Practicing safe social distancing, I am going to check them out in person. What are things I should check when buying a fridge? Because these are expensive and cash only, I don't want to buy a faulty product.

thanks for all the help.
-Ed
L i u

User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
Posts: 153
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#113 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » April 16th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Vince L. wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Thx good to know for when we close on our own place and I convince the wifey to drop $2K on a wine fridge. lol
Roll it into the mortgage and maybe she'll never find out. :)
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

And I'm proud to be a Berserker but not enough to join the Crü
And I won’t forget the Chardonnay that they poured down the loo
And my bottles stand up! the night before, to keep sediment away
Cause there ain’t no doubt, I'm on this board for Wine Berserker Day

User avatar
Alex O
Posts: 23
Joined: May 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#114 Post by Alex O » May 20th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Ed L wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 9:57 am
Hi Berserkers!

Love the information given on this forum. I found a place on craigslist selling open box/new/maybe damaged wine fridges in fremont/Newerk area. Anybody have experience with buying from these places (has 30+ fridges)?

Practicing safe social distancing, I am going to check them out in person. What are things I should check when buying a fridge? Because these are expensive and cash only, I don't want to buy a faulty product.

thanks for all the help.
-Ed
I saw the post as well. I'm skeptical of it. If the units needed simple repairs why wouldn't they repair them and selling them for $1500+
I drink, therefore I am.
0radei

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 100
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#115 Post by HoosJustinG » May 23rd, 2020, 7:35 am

I was between a Le Cache and a Eurocave to store our more special bottles and complement our Wine Enthusiast brand fridge that does OK but doesn’t control humidity and has a decent amount of variation front to back... about ready to pull the trigger on a $5k ... and then called an audible and decided to pay for offsite professional storage instead.

For one, the offsite locker has a much larger capacity (and ability to grow with my collection). Also, just financially on a per bottle basis, the fridge was going to be WELL out of warranty by the time the break even point hits, so there’s no guarantee it would actually be cheaper at all if a problem arises ... and frankly the possibility of a fridge going rogue and freezing always really bothered me. It still bothers me with the fridge we have, but I’d much rather freeze a $40 bottle than a $400 bottle. Lastly in terms of actual aging, the fridges really haven’t solved the humidity control especially well. The Eurocaves have a built in hydrometer, but the actual humidity management is still DYI ... you can’t just leave town for 3 months without just hoping for the best.

Anyway ... just something to consider.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

User avatar
Troy Stark
Posts: 453
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#116 Post by Troy Stark » May 23rd, 2020, 7:55 am

I poured 1 cup of water in our artevino IIIs when we bought them and the humidity has never gone below 50%. [shrug.gif]
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Dennis_L
Posts: 3
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 10:26 am

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#117 Post by Dennis_L » May 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Alex O wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Ed L wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 9:57 am
Hi Berserkers!

Love the information given on this forum. I found a place on craigslist selling open box/new/maybe damaged wine fridges in fremont/Newerk area. Anybody have experience with buying from these places (has 30+ fridges)?

Practicing safe social distancing, I am going to check them out in person. What are things I should check when buying a fridge? Because these are expensive and cash only, I don't want to buy a faulty product.

thanks for all the help.
-Ed
I saw the post as well. I'm skeptical of it. If the units needed simple repairs why wouldn't they repair them and selling them for $1500+
I pulled the trigger on one right before the lockdown.

I threw in a wireless tag to check temp and humidity and it's been super steady to where I've set it and humidity hovering around 56%.

Only thing is some corners of the gasket had a gap. I contacted Eurocave France (HQ) who referred me to their US Distributor Wine Enthusiast tech support. After a bit of the old hair dryer heat up trick the suggested it was fine; in parallel, they also sent me a gasket that I've not yet had to throw on.

Happy with taking the risk and YMMV but certainly would check their stock again I needed a second fridge.
Dennis

User avatar
Alex O
Posts: 23
Joined: May 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#118 Post by Alex O » May 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Dennis_L wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Alex O wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Ed L wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 9:57 am
Hi Berserkers!

Love the information given on this forum. I found a place on craigslist selling open box/new/maybe damaged wine fridges in fremont/Newerk area. Anybody have experience with buying from these places (has 30+ fridges)?

Practicing safe social distancing, I am going to check them out in person. What are things I should check when buying a fridge? Because these are expensive and cash only, I don't want to buy a faulty product.

thanks for all the help.
-Ed
I saw the post as well. I'm skeptical of it. If the units needed simple repairs why wouldn't they repair them and selling them for $1500+
I pulled the trigger on one right before the lockdown.

I threw in a wireless tag to check temp and humidity and it's been super steady to where I've set it and humidity hovering around 56%.

Only thing is some corners of the gasket had a gap. I contacted Eurocave France (HQ) who referred me to their US Distributor Wine Enthusiast tech support. After a bit of the old hair dryer heat up trick the suggested it was fine; in parallel, they also sent me a gasket that I've not yet had to throw on.

Happy with taking the risk and YMMV but certainly would check their stock again I needed a second fridge.
Thats awesome, happy to hear it worked out. Which model were you able to grab? Did they have a as many units as they're advertising?
I drink, therefore I am.
0radei

Dennis_L
Posts: 3
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 10:26 am

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#119 Post by Dennis_L » May 25th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Alex O wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm
Dennis_L wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Alex O wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 4:54 pm


I saw the post as well. I'm skeptical of it. If the units needed simple repairs why wouldn't they repair them and selling them for $1500+
I pulled the trigger on one right before the lockdown.

I threw in a wireless tag to check temp and humidity and it's been super steady to where I've set it and humidity hovering around 56%.

Only thing is some corners of the gasket had a gap. I contacted Eurocave France (HQ) who referred me to their US Distributor Wine Enthusiast tech support. After a bit of the old hair dryer heat up trick the suggested it was fine; in parallel, they also sent me a gasket that I've not yet had to throw on.

Happy with taking the risk and YMMV but certainly would check their stock again I needed a second fridge.
Thats awesome, happy to hear it worked out. Which model were you able to grab? Did they have a as many units as they're advertising?
a Premiere L.. I just tried to search, didnt see it, maybe they're locked down for SIP? They had quite a few of all the usual suspect brands, but only a handful of Eurocaves. Two others either had IMO pretty significant damage. 1.) the front glass was shattered and held by the film 2.) a crack on the top corner. Guy there was pretty transparent about what's what. Also, they're all plugged in so you could check it out.
Dennis

Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 329
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#120 Post by Lonnie F. » May 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm

A.Khanna wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Lonnie F. wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 6:14 pm
A.Khanna wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 7:15 pm
Anyone have experience with this WE fridge available at Costco on sale at the moment?
https://www.costco.com/wine-enthusiast- ... 78590.html

I have been searching for a 300+ bottle fridge at a decent price point and would love to get a few suggestions.
Thanks for looking around. I just ordered this one. 300 bottles for less than $7 per bottle plus electricity. I just got tired of the Craigslist grind and I like the idea of white glove delivery.
You are welcome. Let me know so that I can get one for myself
Akshit,

This was a great purchase for me. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Lonnie
Attachments
20200525_211055.jpg
Lonnie Fuller

A.Khanna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20
Joined: February 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#121 Post by A.Khanna » May 25th, 2020, 6:49 pm

That looks great.
Akshit Khanna

Vince L.
Posts: 127
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#122 Post by Vince L. » May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Wow right next to a bed?

Doesnt the heat dissipate from the rear/sides? Also must be pretty darn quiet.
l e r t

User avatar
Alex O
Posts: 23
Joined: May 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Wine Refrigerators

#123 Post by Alex O » May 27th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm
Wow right next to a bed?

Doesnt the heat dissipate from the rear/sides? Also must be pretty darn quiet.
Lmao. A more entertaining alternative to "midnight snack"
I drink, therefore I am.
0radei

Post Reply

Return to “Wine 101: The Basics”