Aged Cali Cab

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
John Danza
Posts: 1532
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#151 Post by John Danza » February 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 12:12 pm
'84 and '87 are highly underrated vintages, and worth seeking out for all the names listed above - the '87 Montelena is still one of my all time favorite Cabs with a little bottle age -
I grab 1984 vintage whenever I can get them at a decent price, since it's the year my wife and I were married. I even ran into a Maryland Cabernet from the 1984 vintage and it was still "ok" (barely) 10 years ago.
John Danza

User avatar
Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 290
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#152 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » February 12th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Cali Cab from the mid to late 80s that I've opened in the past 3-4 years and that has been more than superb:

Beaulieu GDL
Beringer Private Reserve
Burgess Vintage Selection
Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill, Gravelly Meadow
Dunn (both HM and Napa)
Heitz Martha's
Ridge Monte Bello
Spottswoode
IG: @arntfieldwines

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#153 Post by JDavisRoby » February 14th, 2020, 5:18 am

I have a 2001 Forman Cab I intend on opening tonight. Been standing up for a couple days now. Any recommendations on decant time? This will be the oldest Forman I’ve opened by about five years.
Joshu@

User avatar
Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1789
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#154 Post by Ed Steinway » February 14th, 2020, 6:10 am

Thomas Keim wrote:
'84 and '87 are highly underrated vintages, and worth seeking out for all the names listed above - the '87 Montelena is still one of my all time favorite Cabs with a little bottle age -
Both are excellent vintages for California Cabernet. The 1984 Ridge Monte Bello we had a few years ago was one of the best bottles of wine I have been fortunate enough to drink.

Ed

User avatar
Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1217
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 8:36 am
Location: Philly

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#155 Post by Brian Lynch » February 14th, 2020, 11:21 am

Jim Clary wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:26 am
Recently drank a ‘59 Charles Krug at Press in St. Helena that someone purchased off their list and sent over to the table for me as a gift. It was the wine of the night, a real feat considering we had an ‘89 Haut-Briton and several other treasures sitting on the table. What struck me the most was how youthful it seemed. Really thrilling stuff.
It could have been the MacDonald fruit
The Waterboys

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5862
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#156 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 14th, 2020, 11:27 am

75 Charles Krug at Berns was nice.

User avatar
John Danza
Posts: 1532
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#157 Post by John Danza » February 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:27 am
75 Charles Krug at Berns was nice.
I had a 1979 Charles Krug Zinfandel at Berns a couple of years ago that cost $29 for the bottle. It was outstanding and nowhere near over the hill. I know it's not a Cab, but it shows the ability for these older wines to stay the course over time.
John Danza

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#158 Post by Howard Cooper » February 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm

John Danza wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:27 am
75 Charles Krug at Berns was nice.
I had a 1979 Charles Krug Zinfandel at Berns a couple of years ago that cost $29 for the bottle. It was outstanding and nowhere near over the hill. I know it's not a Cab, but it shows the ability for these older wines to stay the course over time.
I had a 1978 Ridge Geyserville a couple of years ago that also was fabulous.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36017
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#159 Post by Anton D » February 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm

I think we are entering the age where more and more people discover the splendid beauty of aged Cali cabs.

Great thread.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Lee Braem
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 169
Joined: March 17th, 2009, 4:21 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#160 Post by Lee Braem » February 16th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Just drank a bottle of Michel-Schlumberger Reserve 92. Good cork, color still on red side, adequate fruit and great nose. A very good bottle of wine.

Andy Sc
Posts: 163
Joined: August 2nd, 2019, 4:20 am

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#161 Post by Andy Sc » February 17th, 2020, 1:58 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm
John Danza wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:27 am
75 Charles Krug at Berns was nice.
I had a 1979 Charles Krug Zinfandel at Berns a couple of years ago that cost $29 for the bottle. It was outstanding and nowhere near over the hill. I know it's not a Cab, but it shows the ability for these older wines to stay the course over time.
I had a 1978 Ridge Geyserville a couple of years ago that also was fabulous.
I can second that. I've found the 1972 Geyserville on a restaurant list last year and it was singing. The head sommelier (of a 3 star restaurant) mistook it for a 20y+ old high-end Richebourg. [swoon.gif]
Andrew Scheppler - I make wine disappear

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7488
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#162 Post by Mark Golodetz » February 17th, 2020, 3:03 am

I have been part of several old Zinfandel tastings, and frankly the percentage of disappointments was incredibly high. The only two consistent producers were Ridge and Joseph Swan.
ITB

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 8591
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#163 Post by Dennis Atick » February 17th, 2020, 3:26 am

Andy Sc wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 1:58 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm
John Danza wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:30 pm


I had a 1979 Charles Krug Zinfandel at Berns a couple of years ago that cost $29 for the bottle. It was outstanding and nowhere near over the hill. I know it's not a Cab, but it shows the ability for these older wines to stay the course over time.
I had a 1978 Ridge Geyserville a couple of years ago that also was fabulous.
I can second that. I've found the 1972 Geyserville on a restaurant list last year and it was singing. The head sommelier (of a 3 star restaurant) mistook it for a 20y+ old high-end Richebourg. [swoon.gif]
Ridge Zins from the mid-70s served blind were the best wines of my most recent Berns trips in '16 and '18. Amidst some serious competition.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#164 Post by Howard Cooper » February 17th, 2020, 4:17 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:03 am
I have been part of several old Zinfandel tastings, and frankly the percentage of disappointments was incredibly high. The only two consistent producers were Ridge and Joseph Swan.
Frankly, the only Zins I drink are from Ridge (at any age), although I would like to try Swan.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#165 Post by Howard Cooper » February 17th, 2020, 4:20 am

Anton D wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:56 pm
I think we are entering the age where more and more people discover the splendid beauty of aged Cali cabs.

Great thread.
I hope that this is not happening at a time when some classic producers (like Phelps) who made wines for a long time that aged very well have moved to the dark side.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#166 Post by Howard Cooper » February 17th, 2020, 4:22 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:18 am
I have a 2001 Forman Cab I intend on opening tonight. Been standing up for a couple days now. Any recommendations on decant time? This will be the oldest Forman I’ve opened by about five years.
How was the wine?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 8:46 am
Location: San francisco

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#167 Post by Mel Knox » February 17th, 2020, 11:39 am

As I recall the old C Krug Vintage Selects were based on fruit from the See Ranch, now part of Silverado
ITB

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#168 Post by JDavisRoby » February 17th, 2020, 11:51 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 4:22 am
JDavisRoby wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 5:18 am
I have a 2001 Forman Cab I intend on opening tonight. Been standing up for a couple days now. Any recommendations on decant time? This will be the oldest Forman I’ve opened by about five years.
How was the wine?
It was great! The dusty, cassis and tobacco nose and complex texture I love on older Bordeaux varietals. But, still enough fruit up front and acid in the mid palate which I believe says it had lots of life left. Cork was in great shape.

Opened a 2014 Angelus No 3 after. What a huge difference!
Joshu@

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19097
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#169 Post by Victor Hong » May 19th, 2020, 1:56 pm

The early-1990s stuff has really disappeared from auction and retailer sites. Note the observation in Commerce Corner.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=169982

I wonder why.
WineHunter.

User avatar
John Danza
Posts: 1532
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#170 Post by John Danza » May 21st, 2020, 1:29 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 1:56 pm
The early-1990s stuff has really disappeared from auction and retailer sites. Note the observation in Commerce Corner.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=169982

I wonder why.
My go-to for this stuff is typically Winebid. There seems to be a decent number of lots available this week.
John Danza

NED VALOIS
Posts: 6217
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#171 Post by NED VALOIS » May 21st, 2020, 2:25 pm

'74/'78 Mondavi Reserve !

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19976
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#172 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am

Just a joyous bottle which made up for some duds on the actual birthday.

This wine had real energy, both sweet & tart fruit easily appreciated, length without bitterness. Tannins resolved but not completely absent yet. Delicious bottle.
A3C8C12C-7AE7-4CB6-9F30-C7C260671F4A.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion
Posts: 4664
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: Back in the Burgh

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#173 Post by Dave McIsaac » May 22nd, 2020, 11:04 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am
Just a joyous bottle which made up for some duds on the actual birthday.

This wine had real energy, both sweet & tart fruit easily appreciated, length without bitterness. Tannins resolved but not completely absent yet. Delicious bottle.

A3C8C12C-7AE7-4CB6-9F30-C7C260671F4A.jpeg
Birth year wine, G?? [wink.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

William Anzalone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 77
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 2:04 pm
Location: Northeastern PA

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#174 Post by William Anzalone » May 22nd, 2020, 12:41 pm

Last nights RIDGE Monte Bello with Age Roundtable featured the 1990, 2001 and 2002. This event has been talked about in another chat but below I attached a link to the 1990 bottle 375 ml that can be purchased directly from Ridge. Its expensive but in-line with the 1 and only 1990 bottle found on Wine Searcher. Since the event was last night, I believe this bottle will only be available for a very brief time. It was for sale for last night's event but its still on the website. Its $190 and if you are a member of any of the Ridges programs you get 10% off ($171). There is also free 2 day shipping.

I drank the 1990 last night and it was a beautiful wine.

https://shop.ridgewine.com/shopping_car ... 375ml.aspx
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.-Ben Franklin

2020 WsOTY:
1990 Ridge Monte Bello
2014 Bevan Cellars Tench EE
2008 Dom Perignon

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19976
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#175 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 22nd, 2020, 5:45 pm

Dave McIsaac wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:04 am
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 10:41 am
Just a joyous bottle which made up for some duds on the actual birthday.

This wine had real energy, both sweet & tart fruit easily appreciated, length without bitterness. Tannins resolved but not completely absent yet. Delicious bottle.

A3C8C12C-7AE7-4CB6-9F30-C7C260671F4A.jpeg
Birth year wine, G?? [wink.gif]
1/2 way.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1163
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#176 Post by AD Northup » May 22nd, 2020, 6:59 pm

Ed Steinway wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 6:10 am
Thomas Keim wrote:
'84 and '87 are highly underrated vintages, and worth seeking out for all the names listed above - the '87 Montelena is still one of my all time favorite Cabs with a little bottle age -
Both are excellent vintages for California Cabernet. The 1984 Ridge Monte Bello we had a few years ago was one of the best bottles of wine I have been fortunate enough to drink.

Ed
Been absolutely loading up on these two vintages this year as they are my wife and my birth years. Will start popping them open in June over the next few decades, but appreciative of all the positive notes.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 496
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#177 Post by Br1an Th0rne » May 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm

I buy the ‘92 Togni whenever I see it at a decent price...for me, Togni is one of the few CA Cabs that evolves and significantly improves and develops complexity with age. And the ‘92 is at the top of that short list.

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4763
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#178 Post by T. Altmayer » May 22nd, 2020, 8:01 pm

I have had some good luck recently at auction with aged Cal Cab. Picked up early to mid 90s Whitehall Lane which has been lovely. Also has some Staglin and Merryvale profile from the late 90s that has really exceeded expectations. All bought on Winebid and not a bad bottle yet.
Tom

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19976
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#179 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 22nd, 2020, 9:01 pm

84-87 are the greatest four year run in CA history.

Underrated?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 654
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:26 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#180 Post by Scott Jameson » May 23rd, 2020, 8:01 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:01 pm
84-87 are the greatest four year run in CA history.

Underrated?
I might argue with "greatest" but these years are definitely in the discussion, and are far from "underrated".

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19976
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#181 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 23rd, 2020, 3:11 pm

Exactly. 91-94 as good perhaps.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
S. Stevenson
Posts: 681
Joined: February 4th, 2016, 3:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#182 Post by S. Stevenson » May 28th, 2020, 11:15 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:01 pm
84-87 are the greatest four year run in CA history.

Underrated?
'67 to '70 was better.
Stan

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19976
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#183 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 29th, 2020, 9:48 am

No way. The case can be made for 91-94 but not those four vintages.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1620
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#184 Post by Mike Maguire » May 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I would include 95 to the 91-94, so really stellar ones that are still drinking great.

Marek Hnatyk
Posts: 39
Joined: March 27th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Location: Bielsko-Biała, Poland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#185 Post by Marek Hnatyk » May 29th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm
I would include 95 to the 91-94, so really stellar ones that are still drinking great.
I would also add 97, all wines I had from this vintages were at least outstanding or great ( Newton , Ahlgren, Diamond Creek VH, Forman, Staglin). I also read many good opionions on www.cellartracker.com about Napa cabernets from 1996 so in fact vintages 1991-1997 would be the greatest period for Northern California Cabernet Sauvignon. [cheers.gif]
M a r e k


Wine blog ( mainly in Polish)
www.realdealswines.blogspot.com

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7488
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#186 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 29th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
I buy the ‘92 Togni whenever I see it at a decent price...for me, Togni is one of the few CA Cabs that evolves and significantly improves and develops complexity with age. And the ‘92 is at the top of that short list.
A man of rare taste and intelligence. champagne.gif
ITB

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7488
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#187 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 29th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Depends on the type of wine you like. Very few wines post 1990 that I have found developing the interesting stuff I look for in aged wine.
ITB

Marek Hnatyk
Posts: 39
Joined: March 27th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Location: Bielsko-Biała, Poland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#188 Post by Marek Hnatyk » May 29th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
I buy the ‘92 Togni whenever I see it at a decent price...for me, Togni is one of the few CA Cabs that evolves and significantly improves and develops complexity with age. And the ‘92 is at the top of that short list.
A man of rare taste and intelligence. champagne.gif
I had almost 2 years ago Togni 94, very nice wine however without "wow" factor which I hoped for.
M a r e k


Wine blog ( mainly in Polish)
www.realdealswines.blogspot.com

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 496
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#189 Post by Br1an Th0rne » May 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
I buy the ‘92 Togni whenever I see it at a decent price...for me, Togni is one of the few CA Cabs that evolves and significantly improves and develops complexity with age. And the ‘92 is at the top of that short list.
A man of rare taste and intelligence. champagne.gif
Clearly a case of great minds thinking alike [cheers.gif]

Jay Opperman
Posts: 54
Joined: August 5th, 2019, 4:17 am

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#190 Post by Jay Opperman » May 29th, 2020, 3:10 pm

1951 BV
1974 Heitz Martha’s
1978 Ridge Montabello

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19097
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#191 Post by Victor Hong » June 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Even older bottles of Kendall-Jackson grocery store wines are catching strong bids.
WineHunter.

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 181
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#192 Post by Mark Thompson » June 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Marek Hnatyk wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 1:48 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm
I buy the ‘92 Togni whenever I see it at a decent price...for me, Togni is one of the few CA Cabs that evolves and significantly improves and develops complexity with age. And the ‘92 is at the top of that short list.
A man of rare taste and intelligence. champagne.gif
I had almost 2 years ago Togni 94, very nice wine however without "wow" factor which I hoped for.
Perhaps another decade or two?

Marek Hnatyk
Posts: 39
Joined: March 27th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Location: Bielsko-Biała, Poland

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#193 Post by Marek Hnatyk » June 8th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Mark Thompson wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:17 pm
Marek Hnatyk wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 1:48 pm
I had almost 2 years ago Togni 94, very nice wine however without "wow" factor which I hoped for.
Perhaps another decade or two?
I do not think that this particulary bottle which I opened had potencial for further substantial improvment. It was lack of enough concentration of flavours or extra depth to give feeling of multidimensions.
It was ourstanding ( I ranked it 94/100) but not enought good to be ranked as Great Wine. I had two times Dalla Valle 1994 Cabernet Sauvignon and both bottles I ranked 95/100, like only 1 point of difference (compare to Togni 94) but for me Dalla Valle was clearly better wine. Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill 1994 ( which I had in 2014) I would also put in the same range as Dalla Valle 1994.
M a r e k


Wine blog ( mainly in Polish)
www.realdealswines.blogspot.com

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19097
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#194 Post by Victor Hong » June 16th, 2020, 9:42 am

Prices continue to tighten. Ugh.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#195 Post by Howard Cooper » June 17th, 2020, 4:40 am

William Kelley wrote:
July 17th, 2016, 12:36 am
Nathan Smyth wrote:
For Togni, don't forget that he was at Chappellet for a long time before setting out on his own - maybe as long as the late 1960s through the early 1980s, and he would have had a hand in making almost all of the Chappellet wines of the 1970s [which are still almost affordable].

http://www.sfgate.com/wine/thirst/artic ... 396208.php

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chappellet
While I would eagerly drink any 1970s Chappellet, Philip had already left by at least 1975; by '83 their winemaker was Cathy Corison. Never been able to get a definite answer as to who made the '75, which is an amazing wine, but a number of candidates have been suggested.
Loved the 1975 and 1980 Chappellet Cabs.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#196 Post by Howard Cooper » June 17th, 2020, 4:48 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:30 am
I vote for 1974 as the vintage of the second half of the last century for Cali Cabs. I have one bottle of the 1974 Fetzer generic cabernet left from a case I bought in 1977. $2.50 a bottle by the case. The last one I drank was in 2002. I keep one as a curiosity, planning to open it at a Berserkerfest at my house, but I always forget. Too much sediment to travel. Color looks pretty ugly and the storage was horrible for at least the first 9 years. BUT if I have a chance to buy a 1974 in good condition, I grab it.
1974 was a great vintage, but so were 1970, 1978, 1984, and 1991. I really like 1991. Not sure it is better than the others, but I have had a bunch of really good ones.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20086
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#197 Post by Howard Cooper » June 17th, 2020, 4:52 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm
I would include 95 to the 91-94, so really stellar ones that are still drinking great.
If you are going to extend the range, just go all out and say 1990-1997. Not a dud in the bunch.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

P. Dias
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#198 Post by P. Dias » June 17th, 2020, 6:47 am

I was recently bitten by the wine bug, probably after an amazing trip to Tuscany, joined this forum, and have been doing a good amount of reading. Similarly to the OP, I also wanted to taste some aged cali cabs. Given my sister's 30th bday was canceled and she's visiting me in NYC this weekend, I figured I'd open a couple of bottles.

- 90 S Anderson Cab Richard Chambers, 1.5L
- 90 Kenwood Artist Series

Do you recommend decanting these? If so, how long? Any other tips?

Thanks!
P e d r o

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19097
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#199 Post by Victor Hong » June 17th, 2020, 8:41 am

P. Dias wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:47 am
I was recently bitten by the wine bug, probably after an amazing trip to Tuscany, joined this forum, and have been doing a good amount of reading. Similarly to the OP, I also wanted to taste some aged cali cabs. Given my sister's 30th bday was canceled and she's visiting me in NYC this weekend, I figured I'd open a couple of bottles.

- 90 S Anderson Cab Richard Chambers, 1.5L
- 90 Kenwood Artist Series

Do you recommend decanting these? If so, how long? Any other tips?

Thanks!
Chill them before serving. Use a tea or coffee mesh to filter out any broken cork bits.
WineHunter.

P. Dias
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36
Joined: May 6th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Aged Cali Cab

#200 Post by P. Dias » June 17th, 2020, 9:47 am

Victor Hong wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:41 am
P. Dias wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:47 am
I was recently bitten by the wine bug, probably after an amazing trip to Tuscany, joined this forum, and have been doing a good amount of reading. Similarly to the OP, I also wanted to taste some aged cali cabs. Given my sister's 30th bday was canceled and she's visiting me in NYC this weekend, I figured I'd open a couple of bottles.

- 90 S Anderson Cab Richard Chambers, 1.5L
- 90 Kenwood Artist Series

Do you recommend decanting these? If so, how long? Any other tips?

Thanks!
Chill them before serving. Use a tea or coffee mesh to filter out any broken cork bits.
Thank you, Victor!
P e d r o

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”