Short Ribs

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

Short Ribs

#1 Post by JDavisRoby » February 10th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Was gifted a few pounds of American Wagyu short ribs from the personal stash of the local rancher that raises them.

Found lots of references to Wagyu short ribs meals or prime short ribs recipes led or techniques on the site. But no recipe or technique for Wagyu.

Which option is your favorite? Least likely to screw up? Thinking this might be a Valentine’s Day dinner in on Friday night.

Sous vide? Traeger? Weber kettle? Cast iron? Reverse sear? Braise? Some combo?
Joshu@

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Short Ribs

#2 Post by mike pobega » February 11th, 2020, 2:22 am

I myself find a low slow braise works best for these. 3 hours at 300 is perfect. Let chill over night, remove fat and 30 minutes roasted at 375-385 and these will just fall apart.
I like to braise in red wine (Barolo?) after a decent salting and a roll in flour and quick brown all sides. Baby carrots or other root veggies go well in the mix.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#3 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 11th, 2020, 4:55 am

Braise or pressure cooker. Like Mike, I also like to let them sit overnight and defat the next day, but if you are pressed for time, you can pour off most of it after a short cool down just by eyeballing. Daniel Boulud's years old recipe with celery duo is an excellent all purpose prep.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mark Golodetz » February 11th, 2020, 6:00 am

Could try Kalbi. Not sure how the extra fat would work, but have been using some incredible marbled but not Waygu ribs, and they were amazing.
ITB

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by JDavisRoby » February 11th, 2020, 6:36 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:55 am
Braise or pressure cooker. Like Mike, I also like to let them sit overnight and defat the next day, but if you are pressed for time, you can pour off most of it after a short cool down just by eyeballing. Daniel Boulud's years old recipe with celery duo is an excellent all purpose prep.
Threw the pressure cooker and rice maker out when we got the Instant Pot. Have you used one for short ribs?

For you and Mike, when you set overnight do you wrap or seal them up in the refrigerator?
Joshu@

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JDavisRoby » February 11th, 2020, 6:38 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:00 am
Could try Kalbi. Not sure how the extra fat would work, but have been using some incredible marbled but not Waygu ribs, and they were amazing.
I will confess to not sure being confident I have the knife skills to pull off Kalbi. I’m like a kid trying to cut bread with a spoon with knife in my hand.
Joshu@

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris Blum » February 11th, 2020, 6:45 am

I sear in a nonstick, do a 45/15 instant pot and then I roast in the oven for another 30-45 minutes.

My go to is Guinness and beef stock for braising, skim the resulting fat, flavor with tomato paste and molasses. Thicken and use as your sauce.

This time I did the sauce different... I used the braising veg and immersion blended to thicken.
Attachments
17809DD3-C22F-4515-813E-1E0B53D32E2D.jpeg
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian Tuite » February 11th, 2020, 6:49 am

Instant pots/crock pots pulverize the meat and you lose the flavor and crust that comes from slow braising in a good liquid. I always braise short ribs in port/red wine with a mirepoix of onions, carrots, garlic, some red wine vinegar, chicken broth and honey. Separate the fat from the braising liquid and reduce to make a sauce. Just did this Sunday.
59DF1070-DB5A-4465-AF04-01DB7B042AFA.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Gary Schulte » February 11th, 2020, 7:05 am

WOW ! Love the idea Brian. Was looking for an idea for a beef dish on Friday and when I saw your pic that sealed it. I take it's wilted spinach on the bottom? Does the proportion of the braising ingredients matter much?

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by mike pobega » February 11th, 2020, 7:11 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:36 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Threw the pressure cooker and rice maker out when we got the Instant Pot. Have you used one for short ribs?

For you and Mike, when you set overnight do you wrap or seal them up in the refrigerator?
I put in a large bowl and cover.
The fat is easily removed next day. I find it almost imperative to do this step. Same day ribs can have the weird oily mouthfeel.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by JDavisRoby » February 11th, 2020, 7:40 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:49 am
Instant pots/crock pots pulverize the meat and you lose the flavor and crust that comes from slow braising in a good liquid. I always braise short ribs in port/red wine with a mirepoix of onions, carrots, garlic, some red wine vinegar, chicken broth and honey. Separate the fat from the braising liquid and reduce to make a sauce. Just did this Sunday.

That looks great!

Did you let it sit overnight as Mike and Sarah suggested?
Joshu@

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brian Tuite » February 11th, 2020, 7:49 am

Gary Schulte wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:05 am
WOW ! Love the idea Brian. Was looking for an idea for a beef dish on Friday and when I saw your pic that sealed it. I take it's wilted spinach on the bottom? Does the proportion of the braising ingredients matter much?
Spinach and Swiss Chard wilted in sautéed chopped Crimini Mushrooms.

Liquid for 4lbs of Short Ribs
1 bottle red wine (I used Sangiovese)
2 bottle ruby port
2C Chicken broth
1/2C red wine vinegar
1/2C honey

Mirepoix
3 lg onions
6 carrots
2 heads garlic sliced in half
Couple sprigs of Thyme

The liquid matters because you need enough that it does not all cook off in the oven.

I brown the meat in a large pot, remove and sweat the veggies in same pot. Add liquid, bring to boil, transfer to large roasting pan, add meat, 325 for 3hrs turning meat once about 1/2 way through.
Last edited by Brian Tuite on February 11th, 2020, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian Tuite » February 11th, 2020, 7:50 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:40 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 6:49 am

That looks great!

Did you let it sit overnight as Mike and Sarah suggested?
No, I dig right in.

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian Tuite » February 11th, 2020, 7:52 am

mike pobega wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:11 am
JDavisRoby wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

The fat is easily removed next day. I find it almost imperative to do this step. Same day ribs can have the weird oily mouthfeel.
I pull the meat and let it sit in a covered dish while I reduce the sauce. Haven’t experience the oily feel. Maybe the excess drops off?

2019 WOTY...

ERPark

#15 Post by ERPark » February 12th, 2020, 10:56 am

If boneless, I've done American Wagyu short ribs on my Traeger for several hours (longer isn’t a problem), then seared on all sides in a hot cast iron. My family loves this prep, but we tend to like things more beefy and iron-y than most......
GEN3

J. Rock

#16 Post by J. Rock » February 12th, 2020, 9:57 pm

I've never done Wagyu, but for normal short ribs, I sear then braise in the steam oven uncovered. If I was using a traditional oven, I'd cover for for most of the braising and uncover towards the end to get a bit of texture on the outside. Let us know how yours turn out.
J o r d a n

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by JDavisRoby » February 13th, 2020, 4:18 am

Looks like my grand plan was overruled so these are going to wait for another time. Will keep everyone posted when I do make them.
Joshu@

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Gary Schulte » February 13th, 2020, 6:19 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:49 am
Gary Schulte wrote:
I brown the meat in a large pot, remove and sweat the veggies in same pot. Add liquid, bring to boil, transfer to large roasting pan, add meat, 325 for 3hrs turning meat once about 1/2 way through.
Brian - In the past I've always done with short ribs on the bone but have you done this recipe boneless? I'm thinking the bones might add flavor. How many short ribs per person? I'm also think boneless gives more space in dutch oven for more ribs.
Last edited by Gary Schulte on February 13th, 2020, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Joe B » February 13th, 2020, 6:19 am

Braised short ribs with a nice mushroom risotto is my all time favorite dish.
J W@ll @ce

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jay Miller » February 13th, 2020, 6:43 am

This thread has pushed me into making short ribs for valentines day dinner (which will happen on 2/16 for reasons).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian Tuite » February 13th, 2020, 7:24 am

Gary Schulte wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 6:19 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 7:49 am
Gary Schulte wrote:
Brian - In the past I've always done with short ribs on the bone but have you done this recipe boneless? I'm thinking the bones might add flavor. How many short ribs per person? I'm also think boneless gives more space in dutch oven for more ribs.
I’ve done it both ways but I prefer bone-in. Normally 1-1/2 ribs per person since that’s all I can easily stack while plating. The bones slip right out so getting that portion is easy. I use a large roasting pan as it holds more. In my dutch oven the meat would be completely submerged and I like the crust I get leaving a portion exposed to dry heat during cooking.
69835198-87FB-4D0C-81CB-1EFBCB5DD945.jpeg

2019 WOTY...

Alex N

#22 Post by Alex N » February 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm

I'd think braising and pressure cooking cause a lot of the good fat/marbling to render into the braising liquid it's cooking in(?) which is why I tend to not buy wagyu for for short ribs or anything that takes long cook times, unless doing something like bbq low and slow.
@13x N1ch•!z

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian Tuite » February 14th, 2020, 5:47 am

Alex N wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm
I'd think braising and pressure cooking cause a lot of the good fat/marbling to render into the braising liquid it's cooking in(?) which is why I tend to not buy wagyu for for short ribs or anything that takes long cook times, unless doing something like bbq low and slow.
I agree, I did Flannery boneless in ths recipe once and afterwards wondered who I spent the extra money.

2019 WOTY...

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Brandon R » February 14th, 2020, 8:23 am

mike pobega wrote:
JDavisRoby wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

I'm with Mike and Sarah on this. It's really nice to be able to almost lift off the disc of fat with such ease. I also think the sauce benefits from the flavors coming together overnight.
B. Redman

Chris Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Chris Johnson » February 14th, 2020, 7:40 pm

We either do the Keller recipe with mashed potatoes and caramelized carrots or this barbacoa recipe these days:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bar ... two-sauces

Both have their place and both are huge hits with our pickiest of eaters.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Brian Tuite » February 14th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Brandon R wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 8:23 am
mike pobega wrote:
JDavisRoby wrote:

I'm with Mike and Sarah on this. It's really nice to be able to almost lift off the disc of fat with such ease. I also think the sauce benefits from the flavors coming together overnight.
I separate the fat from the liquid before I even reduce it for sauce. There is not disc of fat atop my sauce when it cools. Different strokes.

2019 WOTY...

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Gary Schulte » February 15th, 2020, 6:09 am

Brian - Thank you for the recipe. I think we came close to your prototype picture. Pictures below for proof. A good friend went out of her way to make a caramel apple upside down pie for dessert. The wine of the night for the ribs portion was a 1993 Ridge Monte Bello. Absolutely fantastic for the meal. Thank you again, Gary
shortrib1.jpg
shortrib2.jpg
AppleDessert1.jpg

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Brian Tuite » February 15th, 2020, 6:37 am

Gary Schulte wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 6:09 am
Brian - Thank you for the recipe. I think we came close to your prototype picture. Pictures below for proof. A good friend went out of her way to make a caramel apple upside down pie for dessert. The wine of the night for the ribs portion was a 1993 Ridge Monte Bello. Absolutely fantastic for the meal. Thank you again, Gary

shortrib1.jpgshortrib2.jpgAppleDessert1.jpg
[highfive.gif] [wow.gif] Dejavu all over again. Glad you enjoyed it.

Takes a lot of Chard to pull this off doesn’t it?

2019 WOTY...

Gary Schulte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Gary Schulte » February 15th, 2020, 7:16 am

Brian - Yep. One full bunch of rainbow swiss chard and one bag of small spinach for 6 people. One of the group went back for more and there was not any greens left but plenty of mashed potatoes and short ribs. I would say that depending on the size of the short ribs it's safe to predict 1.5 ribs/person based on the 2/person I purchased......leftovers yes!

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Scott Brunson » February 15th, 2020, 7:17 am

[cheers.gif]
I have some in the Instant Pot right now.
Serving tonight over Risotto with lots of Chard.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » February 15th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 7:17 am
[cheers.gif]
I can be over in 15 minutes!

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Scott Brunson » February 15th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 1:38 pm
Scott Brunson wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 7:17 am
[cheers.gif]
I can be over in 15 minutes!
We'll talk about the next menu tomorrow. [cheers.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”