What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Jason Hagen

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#351 Post by Jason Hagen » January 27th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Alec Bradley - Black Market This one has been sitting in the humidor for 7 years.

Smoking very nicely. Absolutely perfect burn and draw. There was maple with a bit of wood and coffee. About a third of the way through it started to burn my tongue but that quickly went away. Not the most complex but a very enjoyable smoke. I smoked it to the nub but did not end up sticking it with a toothpick. I just picked up some Esteli, Vandal, and The Con. Now I am really looking forward to trying them. - A

Peace,

Jason

P.S. Had to break out the Bradley ashtray that I got as a freebie somewhere along the way.
Attachments
IMG_1670.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#352 Post by Jason Hagen » January 28th, 2020, 10:28 am

Oh, hello! One of the best cigars you can buy in the U.S. and all for $11 a pop. The Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Belicoso Box of 25

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1662.jpeg
IMG_1663.jpeg
IMG_1662.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#353 Post by Randy Bowman » January 28th, 2020, 5:28 pm

E. P. Carrillo Encore Majestic today. Revisiting 2018's cigar of the year. Starts off tea like on the cold draw and that tea flavor is up front for the first third. Some sweetness mingled in along with traces of fruit. Smooth smoke. Had to touch up the burn that got uneven after one third. Ash hanging on like glue. The tea fades at the half way mark yielding to some nuttiness that was soon replaced by some interesting woody notes. Some tart fruit notes drift in and out. Excellent to the end.
20200128_162924.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

#354 Post by Jason Hagen » January 28th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 5:28 pm
E. P. Carrillo Encore Majestic today. Revisiting 2018's cigar of the year. Starts off tea like on the cold draw and that tea flavor is up front for the first third. Some sweetness mingled in along with traces of fruit. Smooth smoke. Had to touch up the burn that got uneven after one third. Ash hanging on like glue. The tea fades at the half way mark yielding to some nuttiness that was soon replaced by some interesting woody notes. Some tart fruit notes drift in and out. Excellent to the end.
Nice. I still have never tried an E.P. Carrillo (IIRC). Would you say most of their lineup is solid?

Jason

Jason Hagen

#355 Post by Jason Hagen » January 28th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Diesel Rage - Toro Purchased in May for $3.85

A nice but uncomplex smoke. The burn and draw are great although I did have to relight at about 1/3 through. That said, I wasn't hitting it too much as I was steeped in reading The Late Show by Michael Connelly. The cigar was woody without much spice or fruit. More coffee and a bit of chocolate. Near the end, it did become a bit more creamy but there was also some heat. I enjoyed the cigar and going to let the others rest a few more months in the humi. B+

Happy smoking,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1692.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#356 Post by Randy Bowman » January 28th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Randy Bowman wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Nice. I still have never tried an E.P. Carrillo (IIRC). Would you say most of their lineup is solid?

Jason
What I've had of the E. P. Carrillo line have been good to excellent. I've had customers that shy away from Carrillo and A. J. Fernandez saying they all taste the same. I don't find that to be true but cigar blenders are like winemakers so it is highly likely they develop a style that is recognizable. They also try new stuff and blend tobaccos that shouldn't go together, you know, like Syrah/Cab blend, equates to the Black Market Filthy Hooligan having a barber pole wrapper of claro and maduro.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

LMD Ermitaño

#357 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 28th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Until just now, I hadn’t been aware of this cigar thread. I’ve been smoking cigars around 22 or 23 years, though, these days, not anywhere as frequently as before. Since I’m based in Manila, getting Cuban cigars was never an issue. That’s pretty much all I smoke. Though I still have a stash of some assorted puros purchased in/from the ‘90s, these days I usually just keep a stock of Ramón Allones Specially Selected, Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills & Montecristo 4s at home for whenever I feel like smoking. Most often, I smoke in my home office or in the garden.

When I used to smoke more often, my favourites were Partagas Serie D No.4, Cohiba Lancero & Siglo IV. It was one of the latter that got me hooked on cigars.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Jason Hagen

#358 Post by Jason Hagen » January 28th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard Luis. I hope you'll share when you light up.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Hagen

#359 Post by Jason Hagen » January 28th, 2020, 11:59 pm

More help, please. Again IIRC I have never had a Gurkha cigar. Any thoughts? Likes/Dislikes? I generally buy what I know I like but am wondering if I should give these a try.

TIA

Jason

LMD Ermitaño

#360 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 29th, 2020, 12:10 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 11:40 pm
Welcome aboard Luis. I hope you'll share when you light up.

Cheers,

Jason
Thank you, Jason. I certainly will. While I do take (and post) a lot of photos of my food & wine, I rarely do of my cigars. This is a recent one though - at my office at home.

Best,

N
Attachments
51E80599-35C3-4081-838D-2777B9BDCEFC.jpeg

GregP

#361 Post by GregP » January 29th, 2020, 1:01 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 11:59 pm
More help, please. Again IIRC I have never had a Gurkha cigar. Any thoughts? Likes/Dislikes? I generally buy what I know I like but am wondering if I should give these a try.

TIA

Jason
STAY. AWAY.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

LMD Ermitaño

#362 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 29th, 2020, 1:02 am

This is another of my usual ones; but, this particular box, purchased duty free on a stopover in Dubai airport, had several with rather difficult draws.
Attachments
C84294A7-D545-4032-997D-B27F3EF0BB5E.jpeg

LMD Ermitaño

#363 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 29th, 2020, 1:32 am

My current go-to: Ramón Allones Specially Selected (this one from a box purchased in Milan around a year ago or so). Excellent draws all from this box. Am running low. Should get another box or two soon.
Attachments
BE3559BD-AA66-4D95-9D5C-84EEC880D9F0.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#364 Post by Jason Hagen » January 29th, 2020, 11:29 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 1:02 am
This is another of my usual ones; but, this particular box, purchased duty free on a stopover in Dubai airport, had several with rather difficult draws.
Way to jump in my friend. Some very nice stuff.

As far as draw problems, this is a great product https://www.amazon.com/PerfecDraw-Preci ... 189&sr=8-1

It is always part of my kit. There lot's of versions out there that I have never tried but I am happy with the Perfect Draw.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#365 Post by Jason Hagen » January 29th, 2020, 11:29 am

GregP wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 1:01 am
Jason Hagen wrote:

TIA

Jason
STAY. AWAY.
Thanks!

Jason Hagen

#366 Post by Jason Hagen » January 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Arturo Fuente Rosado Sun Grown Magnum R 58 Torpedo Purchased in 2017

What can be said, Fuente makes great cigars. Rookie mistake as I dropped it on the concrete right after lighting it and it did cause a little split in the wrapper but it didn't seem to affect (or is it effect?) the smoke at all. The burn and draw were perfect. Lots of complexity and the flavors evolved/changed as the smoke went along. Flavors of cafe latte, leather, cedar, and spice. A light mixture of nutmeg and cinnamon. At the end it did unravel a bit but I think it was caused by me dropping it. I stuck it with my "Perfect Draw" which I rarely do. I can't seem to find more of this shape online :-( -- "A"

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1729.jpeg
IMG_1741.jpeg
IMG_1743.jpeg

R. Gaston

#367 Post by R. Gaston » January 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 1:32 am
My current go-to: Ramón Allones Specially Selected (this one from a box purchased in Milan around a year ago or so). Excellent draws all from this box. Am running low. Should get another box or two soon.
I’m with you in regards to RASS. One of my favorites. I don’t understand why more in the US don’t purchase Cubans. Feds never bother and you can get guaranteed shipping. They are priced right and are at another level than most. I am currently working through some Bolivar Belicosos Finos. Another amazing smoke.
Ryan

LMD Ermitaño

#368 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 29th, 2020, 7:44 pm

R. Gaston wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm
I am currently working through some Bolivar Belicosos Finos. Another amazing smoke.
Nice. Yes, I know that smoke. Full-bodied, earthy, old leathery stuff. Thanks for reminding me about it. Should get some of that again.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#369 Post by Randy Bowman » January 29th, 2020, 8:06 pm

GregP wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:

TIA

Jason
STAY. AWAY.
Unfortunately, I must agree. I did sell the boxes they came in for $25 each so I broke even on what I sold, what I paid and what I had to replace because they were bad.

LMD Ermitaño

#370 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 29th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Arturo Fuente Rosado Sun Grown Magnum R 58 Torpedo Purchased in 2017

What can be said, Fuente makes great cigars. Rookie mistake as I dropped it on the concrete right after lighting it and it did cause a little split in the wrapper but it didn't seem to affect (or is it effect?) the smoke at all. The burn and draw were perfect. Lots of complexity and the flavors evolved/changed as the smoke went along. Flavors of cafe latte, leather, cedar, and spice. A light mixture of nutmeg and cinnamon. At the end it did unravel a bit but I think it was caused by me dropping it. I stuck it with my "Perfect Draw" which I rarely do. I can't seem to find more of this shape online :-( -- "A"

Jason
I’ve only ever had the Fuente Fuente Opus X, a box given to me as a gift many years ago. I can’t remember exactly when; but it was during a time when the rolling in Cuba took a noticeable dip in quality. Then and now, the cigars in said box, in my mind, had probably the best draws I’ve ever experienced. Not a single dud or weakling at all.

Jason Hagen

#371 Post by Jason Hagen » January 29th, 2020, 11:22 pm

R. Gaston wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm

I don’t understand why more in the US don’t purchase Cubans. Feds never bother and you can get guaranteed shipping. They are priced right and are at another level than most. I am currently working through some Bolivar Belicosos Finos. Another amazing smoke.
Agreed. Although my buddy did get a threating letter. He refused the shipment and I am sure the Feds had a great evening. But the company still fulfilled the order and he had no issues the second time.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#372 Post by Jason Hagen » January 30th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Diesel Unlimited d.5 Natural Robusto 5.5 X 54 - Purchased in May 2019 for $3.85

More Diesel. You can always find crazy prices on these. A nice looking cigar with a great burn and easy draw. At first, it was woody and leathery. As it smoked there was pepper and cookie. Full-bodied and strong flavors but the flavors were not overly intriguing but still a very nice smoke. Not a lot of nuance but if you are looking for something bold and barely sweet, this could work well for you. B+

Jason
Attachments
Image-1.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#373 Post by Randy Bowman » January 30th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Diamond Crown Julius Caeser. Cold draw was coffee and pepper. After lighting the cigar I paused to let settle, expecting coffee and maybe some powdered chocolate. It tasted like I was burning tree bark. The flavor was unchanged when I set it down while I helped some customers and it went out. I relit the cigar and instead of wood, I got the coffee notes. Orange zest makes an appearance followed by some white pepper. Rats, more customers. The cigar went out and it is just a little past the half way mark of the cigar. The relit cigar starts with wood and white pepper. The wood is giving way to the pepper and as it cools from relighting it, some coffee notes return. At the end of the second third the orange zest returns intermittently. Combinations of the described flavors make an interesting finish of the cigar. Will have to try it again. The ash in the photo landed in my lap right after l took the picture.
20200130_165425.jpg

Jason Hagen

#374 Post by Jason Hagen » January 30th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Diamond Crown Julius Caeser. Cold draw was coffee and pepper. After lighting the cigar I paused to let settle, expecting coffee and maybe some powdered chocolate. It tasted like I was burning tree bark. The flavor was unchanged when I set it down while I helped some customers and it went out. I relit the cigar and instead of wood, I got the coffee notes. Orange zest makes an appearance followed by some white pepper. Rats, more customers. The cigar went out and it is just a little past the half way mark of the cigar. The relit cigar starts with wood and white pepper. The wood is giving way to the pepper and as it cools from relighting it, some coffee notes return. At the end of the second third the orange zest returns intermittently. Combinations of the described flavors make an interesting finish of the cigar. Will have to try it again. The ash in the photo landed in my lap right after l took the picture.
Thanks for the note. I have been seeing these all over and was wondering about them. And the damn ash in your lap on you is the worst. I got nailed with one today. And it was hot ash. Hot ash is not the spelling I'm looking for when something is on my lap [wow.gif]

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#375 Post by Randy Bowman » January 30th, 2020, 7:50 pm

They are supposed to be very good and that was the first one I had tried. There's a back story to it for name, etc., but I believe Fuente makes them.

GregP

#376 Post by GregP » January 30th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 7:50 pm
They are supposed to be very good and that was the first one I had tried. There's a back story to it for name, etc., but I believe Fuente makes them.
Newman co., made for them by Fuente. I think Ashton is theirs, too, they added Diamond Crown later. Never bought any of their cigars since the days of old ASC cigar board in mid to late '90s (where I met Saka, online, and a number of other now famous characters). Wasn't impressed with their son, he never missed an opportunity to bad mouth competitors. He caught a lot of flack back then, from many experienced smokers, and I am sure I am not the only one not missing their products since. Probably good cigars (though not sure based on your TN above and its price point), but I have low tolerance for any company bashing competitors instead of focusing on their own products' virtues/positives.

Jason Hagen

#377 Post by Jason Hagen » January 31st, 2020, 3:41 pm

Marrero Bellartes - Gran Robusto - Purchased in 2016

I bought this from a shop in Jacksonville FL that had an interesting selection. I said I wanted to try some new things that would impress. I bought 2 cigars and the first was Meh, so I just stuck this one in the humi. I saw it today and thought it was time to try. This is an absolutely killer cigar. Great draw and perfect burn. It starts off with cedar, white pepper, and leather. Great medium flavor and body. With the last third, some fruit showed up. Not like citrus fruit but I couldn't place it. Along with coffee and caramel. I need to find some more of these. Loved it. 90 minute smoke. A+

Cheers,

Jason
Attachments
bellartes.jpg
IMG_1805.jpeg
Last edited by Jason Hagen on January 31st, 2020, 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GregP

#378 Post by GregP » January 31st, 2020, 3:55 pm

Jason Hagen

#379 Post by Jason Hagen » February 1st, 2020, 2:17 pm

Diesel Unlimited d.5 - Maduro 5.5 X 54 Purchased in May 2019 - $3.85

Revisiting my Diesels now that they have a little time on them. Another perfect draw and burn. This a bold and Medium/Full power. Powerful but easily enjoyable. Coffee and leather but more just a power smoke. Very slightly sweet. The amount of smoke this stick produces is amazing. I am sure the entire neighborhood could smell this and the aroma was great. I smoked until the very end when it started to get a little too hot for me. Easily a 100 minute smoke. - A

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1866.jpeg
IMG_1853 2.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#380 Post by Randy Bowman » February 1st, 2020, 2:33 pm

Ordering the Diesel Unlimited D5 Maduro on Tuesday with some other new stuff. You keep posting about the Diesel and in the last couple days I've had several people call asking what Diesels I have in stock. Out with old. In with the new.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Randy Bowman » February 1st, 2020, 6:59 pm

Esteban Carrerras Mr. Brownstone Maduro Boolit. Small cigar I can finish in about 45 minutes. Medium in strength. The burn is smooth and straight and the ash looks like a stack of dimes. A lot going on with tobacco flavors, powdered chocolate, some espresso notes and light white pepper finish. At one third there are occasional hints of sweet vanilla. The flavors are consistent through the second third. A little heat towards the end from my continuous puffing as I chased flavors.
20200201_182246.jpg
20200201_183336.jpg

Jason Hagen

#382 Post by Jason Hagen » February 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 2:33 pm
Ordering the Diesel Unlimited D5 Maduro on Tuesday with some other new stuff. You keep posting about the Diesel and in the last couple days I've had several people call asking what Diesels I have in stock. Out with old. In with the new.
Cool. I hope they sell well. They are not an everyday smoke for me as they are fairly big but a fun smoke. I think 8 to 12 months resting in the humi is good for them. Still big and powerful but they show more complexity. They have a lot for the money.

I haven't tried an Esteban Carrerras. What price range are these?

Jason

Jason Hagen

#383 Post by Jason Hagen » February 1st, 2020, 8:06 pm

I have no idea what this is. It has been sitting in my humidor for years. I think it is a Tatuaje but I can't find it anywhere. Any help? Even with my reading glasses is was tough to figure out the label. Something like Selection Special.

At the beginning it was okay but then started show leather, white pepper, and a little hot cocoa. A bit harsh until halfway through. Nice draw with good tension. The burn was totally even but I did have to relight it once. Got smoother about 2/3 through. Big and bold. Something I would have loved 25-15 years ago but now I like a mellower more complex smoke. This was like a big hoppy beer. The finish was long with lots of cinnamon and white pepper. - B

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1875.jpeg
IMG_1871.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#384 Post by Randy Bowman » February 1st, 2020, 8:31 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm
Randy Bowman wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 2:33 pm
Cool. I hope they sell well. They are not an everyday smoke for me as they are fairly big but a fun smoke. I think 8 to 12 months resting in the humi is good for them. Still big and powerful but they show more complexity. They have a lot for the money.

I haven't tried an Esteban Carrerras. What price range are these?

Jason
Jason, they are reasonably priced. With our 65 percent tax I can sell a robusto for $7.25. A CAO or Padron robusto is $10, Fuente Chateau is $9. The Diesel D-5 will probably be around $10 and change.

Jason Hagen

#385 Post by Jason Hagen » February 1st, 2020, 10:09 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 8:06 pm
I have no idea what this is. It has been sitting in my humidor for years. I think it is a Tatuaje but I can't find it anywhere. Any help? Even with my reading glasses is was tough to figure out the label. Something like Selection Special.

I think I found it. Still Pete Johnson but I think it is the L'Atelier Selection Speciale. The L'Atelier bit of the label must have fallen off.

J

LMD Ermitaño

#386 Post by LMD Ermitaño » February 1st, 2020, 10:25 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 8:06 pm
GregP wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:

TIA

Jason
STAY. AWAY.
Unfortunately, I must agree. I did sell the boxes they came in for $25 each so I broke even on what I sold, what I paid and what I had to replace because they were bad.
This? It was given to me by a friend.
CFFCB071-2604-46E6-B8A1-8B0F589BDC43.jpeg
The comments are so bad, I may just light it up out of sheer intrigue.

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#387 Post by Larry Chmel » February 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am

Not a big smoker but when I do, I prefer a medium or so smoke. I'm sure most of the people on this thread go with the stronger stuff. I've liked Rocky Patel Vintage 1990/1992 in the past. Any other suggestions?

Jason Hagen

#388 Post by Jason Hagen » February 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am

Larry Chmel wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am
Not a big smoker but when I do, I prefer a medium or so smoke. I'm sure most of the people on this thread go with the stronger stuff. I've liked Rocky Patel Vintage 1990/1992 in the past. Any other suggestions?
I think there is a mix here. It is just less heated than wine discussions. Of course, like wine and sometimes beer, some fuller, bigger cigars has such a great sense of balance that you think of them as medium or mild. But like wine and beer, there are some cigars that are meant to blow your head off and get your attention.

Here are a few that are more on the medium/mild side IMO and generally priced very well.

CAO Black & CAO La Traviata - a great deal on the La Traviata https://www.famous-smoke.com/cao-la-tra ... ?pid=30935

Southern Draw - Rose of Sharon

I haven't tried yet but based on Greg P's reco I have some arriving next week. Ave Maria Immaculata.

Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva I would stick to the natural rather than the maduro.

Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal The Con There a number of Black Market cigars but go for The Con.

Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Series

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos More pricey but an absolutely fabulous cigar.

Alec Bradley Project 40 Got a lot of attention because it made the Top 25 Cigar Aficionado list for 2019..

Others can add a lot to this list (or disagree) but I would also recommend finding a reputable, knowledgable, and serious cigar store. Find the right person to talk to and put together a little sampler.

I can't stress enough on letting them rest for at least a few weeks if you order online. In a humidor, herf-a-dor, or a homemade tupadore. You can buy cheap cedar planks from amazon for the latter two. And you'll need a Hygrometer and just use Boveda packs for humidity. I like the Boveda 69.

Happy smoking!

Jason

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#389 Post by Jud Reis » February 2nd, 2020, 10:36 am

Larry - I would add the H. Upmann Banker cigars to the list Jason gave you. One of my go to cigars for friends who don’t smoke that much and want something on the milder side.

Jason Hagen

#390 Post by Jason Hagen » February 2nd, 2020, 6:30 pm

PRE-GAME SMOKE

Elogio Serie LSV - Torpedo Purchased around 2016 from my guy in Franklin TN. I have never seen them anywhere else although they list a store right next to my house as a retailer.

At the start, there is black cherry but no sweetness. Very mild. The burn is perfect and the draw is easy although it does not produce a lot of smoke. About midway through this goes from mild to medium. Black cherry, leather, and non-sweet creme brulee. Pleasant long finish. 100 minute smoke. - B+

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1885.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#391 Post by Randy Bowman » February 2nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

Had an A. J. Fernandez Bellas Artes with the first half of the Super Bowl. It was stellar.

Larry,

The Arturo Fuente Chateau and Double Chateau are the prime example of "medium," plus they have sticks with a natural, sun grown and maduro wrapper that will give you the opportunity to see the difference of flavor provided by each of those wrappers on a cigar with the same filler and binder. When I compare cigars for strength, they are based on Fuente's Chateau line as being medium. Padron thousand series is a step up from medium but lovely while, the original, old world Romeo e Juliet is a step down slightly less than medium.

Macanudo Caviar cigars are the stalwart of old world mild and at our store, purchased by customers mostly 60 years or older, as do a number of older brands. The new kids making cigars have come up with blends providing exceptional flavors that have made many of the old stalwarts obsolete. My Father, A. J. Fernandez and E. P. Carrillo have been stepping out with unusual and interesting blends for cigars, following Drew Estates' expansion into blends, infused and flavored cigars.

Jason Hagen

#392 Post by Jason Hagen » February 3rd, 2020, 3:12 pm

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Belicoso (5.3"x52) Purchased in December 2019

Strong winds today so it was the first smoke in the cold for the last few weeks.

Normally I wait a little longer to smoke a mail-order cigar but I just needed this today. Such a wonderful cigar. Right at the front is plum, black cherry, and citrus. Then there is a nutty spice element. Smooth and medium flavors and body. There is power but never at the sacrifice of flavor or ease of smoking. 90 smoke. - A

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1923.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by Randy Bowman » February 3rd, 2020, 7:30 pm

Lovely cigar Jason. Friday and Saturday I put tables out for the 70 degree weather. Yesterday and today low 50s and gusty winds driving the wind chill to the low 40s. Fortunately, I have the indoor lounge. If were to actually get home early enough and/or had a day off, I'd build or buy a man cave in the back yard.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#394 Post by Randy Bowman » February 4th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Alec Bradley Prensado robusto this afternoon. Haven't had one for several years now. Smooth flavors on start up and was expecting it to be stronger. Leather dominates with hints of cocoa and spices. It feels loosely rolled and started burning crooked so I had to ash the cigar and touch it up some. Coffee and cedar are added to the flavor profile after the touch up. The cedar melts away after the cigar cooled down from the touch up. Should have had the box pressed torpedo. I remember it having richer flavor and cleaner burn.
20200204_160255.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#395 Post by Randy Bowman » February 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Jason, just got word that neither distributor I deal carry the Diesel D5 Maduros.

Jason Hagen

#396 Post by Jason Hagen » February 4th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm
Jason, just got word that neither distributor I deal carry the Diesel D5 Maduros.
Bummer. I think it would sell well.

J

Jason Hagen

#397 Post by Jason Hagen » February 4th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz Robusto Purchased sometime around 2016 from my guy outside of Nashville in Franklin.

Such a lovely cigar. Oily and gritty. Great construction. The burn is great although it did go out once when I stepped away for a few minutes. Sweet on the lips and savory on the palate. Had a nice oolong tea element to it. Very long finish that I couldn't totally place but then settled on a well seasoned grilled rib eye steak. With pepper, cayenne and a sprinkle of thyme. The other elements would be dark chocolate and pepper. Smooth, pleasurable and medium to full strength. for 20 years I went to Nashville 4 to 6 times a year. Now I have to find a buddy to ship me a box since that was my last one. 90 minute smoke - "A+"

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1938.jpg

Jason Hagen

#398 Post by Jason Hagen » February 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Ave Maria Argentum Robusto Purchased in January 2020 - $3.83

This has only had one week in the humi but I wanted to try it. I'll wait another 6 weeks before the next.

Nice looking cigar although at times the construction was a little shakey. That said it burned perfectly even but I did have to relight twice. The draw is great as are the aromas. For the first quarter, there was a little mango right at the front. Interesting and pleasant. Then is was leather and chocolate. I loved the finish although it was a bit hot. I was pretty impressed with this cigar and looking forward to the next one. @$3.83 there is a lot to like. - A-

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1960.jpg

Jason Hagen

#399 Post by Jason Hagen » February 5th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Cohiba Red Dot Robusto - Purchased January 2020 - $4.78

With new packaging. Another stick recently off the truck but I wanted to try one. Very easy smoking cigar. Perfect burn and draw. Mild to medium flavors. Somewhat simple. Beefy, leathery with a nutty sweetness. Also showing black pepper. Plus a pcture of a plane going by leaving a nice vapor trail ... But not as nice as mine. I'll let the others rest for awhile. 60 minute smoke. - A-

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1972.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#400 Post by Randy Bowman » February 5th, 2020, 7:25 pm

My Father La Opulencia Toro. Nice looking cigar. Cold draw doesn't give away much. Some earthiness and a little cocoa. The burn is even and the ash solid to an inch and came off as one piece when I ashed. Starts off with earthy tobacco notes and a hint of cocoa. Some woodiness adds to the flavors as it approaches the one third mark. Moving towards the half way mark, the flavors are increasing like when a wine starts to open up. There is some sweetness appearing and it is changing the cocoa to chocolate. There are some spices intermingling at the two third mark and I'm chasing them trying to identify them. What an interesting and tasty cigar.
laopulencia.jpg

Return to “Beer and Spirits”