Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New Breville Pizzaiolo electric pizza oven looks kinda amazing

#51 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 27th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 7:21 pm
Looks good, I’ll guess no Keto diet for you.
I just scrape the toppings off.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#52 Post by Joe Chanley » December 28th, 2019, 5:32 am

Nice work!

That cheese steak pizza looks great Bill.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#53 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » December 28th, 2019, 7:43 am

FWIW. for less that that price you can get a Waring electric pizza oven....a small one. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search ... pizza.html
I've had the "commercial" double decker in my garage for the last 4 years...and love it...it goes up to 800 degrees, though I cook at 550-600....pizzerias in Philadelphia use the single for re-heating and making pies in a pinch....
Last edited by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow on January 2nd, 2020, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 28th, 2019, 8:46 am

Pizza #2: 650°F/500°F/5 x 4 min. Same dough batch as #1 but after a 36 hr cold ferment, which was harder to stretch into a perfect circle (dough temp was 71°F after 1 hr tempering). Rotated the pizza at 3 min and added the basil. Bottom still doesn't have the speckled charring I'm looking for, but getting a bit closer.

Cranked the "Top Control" all the way to the right to 5 just as I launched the pizza, based on something I saw in an Anthony Falco video.
Attachments
IMG_5344.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

ybarselah

#55 Post by ybarselah » December 28th, 2019, 8:53 am

ken - those look great. for the super dark spots, i find that 3-days in the fridge does the trick for the dough. it gets super hydrated and enables the most amount of proteins and sugars to be available.
Yaacov (ITB)

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 28th, 2019, 8:54 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
FWIW. for less that that price you can get a Waring electric pizza oven....a small one. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring ... SsEALw_wcB

I've had the "commercial" double decker in my garage for the last 4 years...and love it...it goes up to 800 degrees, though I cook at 550-600....pizzerias in Philadelphia use the single for re-heating and making pies in a pinch....
There's also the P134H, which will hit 850°F, although it needs a 220V power supply.

https://www.gastrovens.com/en/home/1-p134h.html

I've seen people on PizzaMaking.com measure the deck on the Breville hitting 820°F. My IR thermometer doesn't go that high so I haven't measured mine yet. Pre-heating (~15 min) and re-heating seems to be amazingly fast.
Cheers,
/<evin

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 28th, 2019, 8:59 am

ybarselah wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:53 am
ken - those look great. for the super dark spots, i find that 3-days in the fridge does the trick for the dough. it gets super hydrated and enables the most amount of proteins and sugars to be available.
I've got 1 ball left, so I'll try again tomorrow...
Cheers,
/<evin

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Michael O'Brien » December 28th, 2019, 11:42 am

Bill Ackerman wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 10:19 am
Michael O'Brien wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 9:59 am
We make pizza in our oven. No separate appliance required. We have a Wolf series M oven and a 16.5 lb.Wolf pizza stone made of cordierite. It works amazingly well. Worth every nickel.
Sounds great What style of pizza are you making? How hot does the stone get? My Wolf dual-fuel range has a "stone" baking mode which I use with a FibraMent stone, but in "stone" mode, which cycles fans and elements on and off, the stone never gets over ~575F. Fantastic for breads. Not so good for the kinds of pizza I like. OTOH, the Breville has changed the way I make and enjoy pizza.
My wife makes all kinds of pizzas from homemade pizza dough. We prefer a thinner crust that gets a little crisp. She follows Wolf's instructions for pizza, Stone Mode, 450 degrees. We have never taken the temperature of the stone. We have trusted the oven and so far so good. She has tested making pizza at higher temperatures but in the M series oven, that results in slight burning on the edges of the crust before the pizza is properly cooked. So back to following directions for us. I don't know if the oven in your unit is an M series or a different one. There are differences in the design of the different series so outcomes will likely be different too.
PlanoWino

RKatz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by RKatz » January 13th, 2020, 6:26 pm

I have the Wolf M and the stone. I do enjoy it. Prefer 550 for an OK char. 800 on my Blackstone outside is far better, but the Wolf is OK in a pinch. Make sure the dough is more hydrated and proofed for a day till tacky. Dust with flour before and during hand stretching as needed to release just enough from your skin, and dust the peel well so it slides off. I use Stone mode and let it heat for an extra 30-45 minutes before starting. Bottom level of the oven works for us. lightly charred edges are OK. Done in 6.5 minutes typically in the oven, 2 mins in the Blackstone..

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Jay Selman » January 15th, 2020, 1:55 pm

is anyone else here a fan of using a baking steel over a baking stone?

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by SeanHarding » January 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I have two ovens, one with a baking steel and one with a stone in it. Sometimes I will use both, to cook two pizzas in parallel. If I compare side-by-side, I can see minor differences, but at least for the stuff I bake, it doesn't seem noticeable when eating.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 15th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Jay Selman wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 1:55 pm
is anyone else here a fan of using a baking steel over a baking stone?
There have been a couple of posts on the Breville Pizzaiolo threads at Pizzamaking.com and the Breville Pizzaiolo Facebook group where people have been playing recently with putting a round steel on top of the stone or cutting a round steel to replace the stone.

My impression is they are getting a crispier crust (if that is what you want), but it takes a long time to heat the steel which obviates one the the advantages of this oven that it heats very rapidly.
Cheers,
/<evin

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Robert M yers » January 15th, 2020, 9:22 pm

That a big part of reason one of these would really appeal to me. It takes the steel so long to heat and then recovery time after is frustrating too.

apilinariosilvia

#64 Post by apilinariosilvia » January 19th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Electric pizza ovens are good if you don't like to work with wood fire. But honestly, I like wood-fired pizza. I have a wood-fired oven in my backyard and I am a regular user of this. Apart from the pizza I also cook other food as well. Here is the wood-fired baked pizza.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 20th, 2020, 12:25 am

Uh, guys, this thread is about the Beville Pizzaiolo oven, not your Wolfs or wood-fired ovens. Let's stay on topic. [cheers.gif]

Still experimenting to find exactly the right balance between the deck and top temp for the dough I'm using, but this oven is very easy to use.

Heffernan dough: 7.75hr RT; 200g balls; 17hr CF; temper 24m to 60°F; 750/500/3>5 x 4min (turn at 3m, add cheese, basil)
Attachments
2020-0101 Breville Pizzaiolo #5.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

Diane W

Re: New Breville Pizzailo electric pizza oven looks kinda amazing

#66 Post by Diane W » February 13th, 2020, 2:31 pm

geoffpm wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 6:05 am
I watched this video and the amount of smoke the Breville produces would not be fun in my kitchen. Also, for $799, I could buy a real ooni wood fired pizza oven for $400 and spend the rest on good pizza wine.

I have owned and Uuni or ooni for 3 yrs and since we are empty nesters, I use it for much more than just pizza. MY stone hasn't cracked and it has weathered 3 New england winters outdoors.
Sorry to be late to this party-and this may be a thread hijack. My kids got me an Ooni Pro for Christmas and I haven't used it yet because of all the warnings about not getting it wet, damp etc. I live in the Chicago area where all we are right now is wet and damp. Do you keep it outside all the time? Does it work okay out there? No issues? Thanks for your advice!
Diane Kennedy

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New Breville Pizzailo electric pizza oven looks kinda amazing

#67 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » February 13th, 2020, 3:39 pm

geoffpm wrote:
December 15th, 2018, 6:05 am
I watched this video and the amount of smoke the Breville produces would not be fun in my kitchen. Also, for $799, I could buy a real ooni wood fired pizza oven for $400 and spend the rest on good pizza wine.

I have owned and Uuni or ooni for 3 yrs and since we are empty nesters, I use it for much more than just pizza. MY stone hasn't cracked and it has weathered 3 New england winters outdoors.
Replying to an old post, but since I own one now, I can definitely say it doesn't produce much smoke under most conditions. What you are seeing in the videos is probably mostly steam.

However, obviously, if you use a malted flour in your pizza or on your peel to launch, and run it at 750°F, the flour will burn because it is not intended for that temp. But it's a very portable oven, so if you insist on doing that, just stick it under your kitchen hood. I just cooked a pizza (pic) with malted KABF at 750°F and didn't notice much smoke, although I used Caputo on the peal.

It's a brilliant little oven. Suddenly, I have much less interest in ever getting a wood-fired oven.
Attachments
2020-0210 Breville Pizzaiolo #3.1a.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by mike pobega » February 14th, 2020, 2:28 am

Kevin, your pizzas look amazing!
Bravo!

Matt Thomas

#69 Post by Matt Thomas » February 14th, 2020, 4:52 am

This is my next kitchen gadget. Didn’t have the space before, but will in a few months with our kitchen remodel.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » February 14th, 2020, 3:03 pm

mike pobega wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 2:28 am
Kevin, your pizzas look amazing!
Bravo!
Thanks, but Bill's the one who is making the amazing pizzas (see the thread at pizzamaking.com). I haven't made many pizzas previously in my life, so I'm enjoying learning all the in's and out's. Still a ways to go...
Cheers,
/<evin

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”