PSA: Kinda ridiculous Bonny Doon sale

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: PSA: Kinda ridiculous Bonny Doon sale

#101 Post by David Glasser » November 3rd, 2019, 6:16 pm

Tried the 2013 X-block Syrah tonight. Too much oak for my palate. I guess time will tell if it integrates with cellaring. I have doubts but can’t complain at $16/bottle.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Ron Slye » November 3rd, 2019, 7:54 pm

I did not really remember curry. I will have to keep that in mind when I open the next bottle. I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of a subtle sherry. Definitely for the adventurous. But I did not pour any of my first bottle down the drain. It is a nice aperitif sipping wine. Also went well with Asian food.

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by joeduncan » November 7th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Cracked a sparkling Vermentino tonight. Nothing crazy complex but enjoyable, particularly for the price. Apple and lemon lime, went well with our Thai dinner.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#104 Post by Robert M yers » November 10th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Had the Sparkling Vermentino and found it very fine for the $14. Very fresh and bright with balanced acid but definitely crisp. Citrus fruits But not enamel stripping. Nice for an porch sipper or mimosa maker.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Paul Miller » November 10th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Got my shipping notice to Chicago

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Nate Simon » November 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Opened a sparkling Vermentino this evening with paella. I really like this one for the money. Actually drinks better at a cool room temp with some time to let the effervescence calm down. Nice creamy apple, lime, biscuit notes.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Rich Brown » November 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 7:42 pm
Opened a sparkling Vermentino this evening with paella. I really like this one for the money. Actually drinks better at a cool room temp with some time to let the effervescence calm down. Nice creamy apple, lime, biscuit notes.
Popped the cap on one of these tonight and totally agree. A really nice wine, especially for the price. Lots of bright lime and lemon notes with a bit of bread, and a slightly bitter (in a good way) finish. Would have crushed these by the pool all summer long.

Word to the wise, this bottle opened up ANGRY! Just a ton of effervescence that spilled out onto the counter for a good 40 seconds.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » November 15th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Just got mine, and opened a 375 of 2014 Cigare Volant. Really nice, especially for $9.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Rich Brown » November 15th, 2019, 4:47 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 4:45 pm
Just got mine, and opened a 375 of 2014 Cigare Volant. Really nice, especially for $9.
$9. That just makes me smile.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Nate Simon » November 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
Popped the cap on one of these tonight and totally agree. A really nice wine, especially for the price. Lots of bright lime and lemon notes with a bit of bread, and a slightly bitter (in a good way) finish. Would have crushed these by the pool all summer long.

Word to the wise, this bottle opened up ANGRY! Just a ton of effervescence that spilled out onto the counter for a good 40 seconds.
Yeah, no kidding! When I popped it, I had to check myself to think if I had unnecessarily agitated the bottle or something. I found the wine a lot more enjoyable after it had calmed down a bit.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Rich Brown » November 15th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 5:06 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Nate Simon wrote:

Yeah, no kidding! When I popped it, I had to check myself to think if I had unnecessarily agitated the bottle or something. I found the wine a lot more enjoyable after it had calmed down a bit.
Right! I'd never seen anything like it. Just literally wouldn't stop pouring out the top of the bottle. Good stuff though, especially after being open for a bit.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » November 28th, 2019, 11:03 am

Anyone know the land speed record for a bottle of the sparkling Vermentino?

Keyser Söze bottle. Poof, it was gone.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Nate Simon » November 28th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:03 am
Anyone know the land speed record for a bottle of the sparkling Vermentino?

Keyser Söze bottle. Poof, it was gone.
Agreed! This is the consummate porch wine.

Return to “Wine Talk”