Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line up

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Jonathan Sirot

Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- ONE SPOT OPEN !: Check out the line up

#1 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 4th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Hi folks
I think I can confidently say our PDH.dinner last month was a resounding success. I will only take a small amount of credit as it was the convivial crowd with delicious food and some incredible wines that made it happen
After much positive response.from the gang and requests for future gigs let's see if we can squeeze one in before year end.
If people dont object would like to keep theme pretty similar. For anyone who didnt attend last one please look at list of wines at PDH last offline.if folks want to go a bit less high end that's ok give the word. I personally would prefer to stay at a similar caliber as last time. It's important everybody is comfortable though.

Am happy to do PDH again or if others dont mind trying another good Chinese place Wus Wonton King is in Chinatown grearnfood free corkage. Am certainly not enthused w $40 corkage and expensive meals. Just too much esp when I factor in my travel.

Monday Dec 2nd is the date and Wu's Wonton King is the locale. 6:30 start time

Attendees;

1. Jonathan- 2000 Roberto Voerzio Rocche dell Annunziata Torriglione Barolo + 2006 Taittinger Cdc
2. Julie- 1998 Gaja Sori Tilden
3. Dinesh- 2000 Leoville Las Cases
4. Chris- 2014- Pegau CDP Blanc Cuvee A Tempo
5. Tom- 1986 Chateau L'Angelus
6. Mike C -2005 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Goulots
7. Dennis- 1995 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin Grand Cru
8. Windy- 1971 PJ Valkenberg Beerenauslese

Waitlist:

1.Siddhant- cant make it
2. Jay- Not a clue if he wants to attend doesn't answer my message from yesterday afternoon ? JH call home !

Last edited by Jonathan Sirot on December 1st, 2019, 2:05 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: Can we squeeze another NYC dinner before Turkey day or early Dec ?

#2 Post by Chris L » November 5th, 2019, 3:47 am

I may be able to make it... Mondays are usually best, but my pre-holiday calendar is filling up quickly!

I liked PDH but am happy to try Wu's to avoid the corkage fee.

I will watch this thread and try to keep those dates free.
...andon

CliftonD

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: Can we squeeze another NYC dinner before Turkey day or early Dec ?

#3 Post by CliftonD » November 5th, 2019, 9:17 am

Watching this thread [cheers.gif]
D - o - n - g

Juliec

#4 Post by Juliec » November 5th, 2019, 1:36 pm

I’m in. Thanks Jonathan for organizing.
hung

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Tom Reddick » November 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

I will be in the City from December 10th to the 15th. The 10th and 13th are spoken for on the wine dinner front, but just in case this event ends up happening on Wednesday the 11th or Thursday the 12th, I would be interested.

While in town, I am retrieving a nice selection of old Figeac and champagne from a London broker- so could pull a couple of bottles out of that to bring.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Jonathan Sirot

#6 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 5th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Chris L wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 3:47 am
I may be able to make it... Mondays are usually best, but my pre-holiday calendar is filling up quickly!

I liked PDH but am happy to try Wu's to avoid the corkage fee.

I will watch this thread and try to keep those dates free.
Chris
I did recall Mondays are good for you and possibly others, but if possible would like to be able to include Tom whom I have wined and dined with previously

Can Weds Nov 11th work for you and other participants ?

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris L » November 6th, 2019, 3:40 am

Wed 12/11 does not work for me for dinner (although I might be able to make it for a quick drink early on...)

Don't worry about me -- if you choose the 11th, I will join you some other time.
...andon

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 6th, 2019, 3:59 am

Jonathan

Looking forward to it.

Dec 11th wouldn’t work but 18th, 2nd or 9th are all ok.

I am fine with whatever restaurant you end up picking. Probably a very small preference for food that would support a wide variety of wines.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by TGigante » November 6th, 2019, 4:40 am

Dec 2 or 9 are good for me
Nov 18 or Dec 11 are not
Cheers,
Tony

Mike Reff

#10 Post by Mike Reff » November 6th, 2019, 7:41 am

Will watch as well...

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Tom Reddick » November 6th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Thank you for your kind words Jonathan. Looks like my availability conflicts with what most are able to do- and I completely understand. Please don't shift it around just on my account- and if it organically works out where I can come, great. But if not- I will be back in the spring for a couple of visits and hope to see you all then.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Jonathan Sirot

#12 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 6th, 2019, 10:34 pm

It looks like Dec 2nd so far appears to be a date that could work out for most of us. My usual modus operandi is to choose a date that works for the largest amount of participants.

Lets try one last possible date ; Maybe Wednesday the 12, works out for the group ? if we do find half or more of us, It would be great to include Tom travelling from Dallas. Of not that's ok I will try to include him in the next event.

So can Wednesday the 12 work for folks ? If not good for most will stick with the original tentative date of Dec 2nd.

To Clifton and and Mike: If you are available I would urge you to commit fairly soon. The event was posted 2 days ago and it likely half full already. Almost all were attendees from PDH last time and were excited enough they asked me when I was doing the next one.

The only requirement to attend is the dinner cost ,and a special bottle if your collections don't have many high end bts would be happy to
trade to acquire one.

One of the few differences in this dinner vs many NY offlines is that I have become VERY adverse to $40 corkage fees and expensive food. Although we will rotate through various restaurants my goal is to have dinner tax and gratuity come in at under $100. At PDH with very good food plenty of it and tax and a generous tip was $70 per person. tough to beat that in NYC.

So we have about half of the last gang already responding, but certainly welcome all new members to the party !

Karl K

#13 Post by Karl K » November 6th, 2019, 10:39 pm

I am from out of state but could likely do the 12th.

Plus ones or no?
K a z a k s

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Chris L » November 7th, 2019, 3:59 am

*Thurs* Dec 12 does not work for me, but Monday 12/2 is good...
Last edited by Chris L on November 8th, 2019, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
...andon

Thomas Rippe

#15 Post by Thomas Rippe » November 7th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Check the date....Dec. 12 is a Thursday.

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chris L » November 8th, 2019, 3:21 am

Good catch. We determined that Wed 12/11 wasn't good earlier. I edited my post above -- Thurs 12/12 is not good for me either.
...andon

Jonathan Sirot

#17 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 8th, 2019, 4:36 am

Its is great to see a strong response from both attendees at our last event as well as a few new folks. In a perfect world would love to find a date that works for all who have responded. Since peoples schedules will start filling up soon time is of the essence. As 4 of the past group, as well as myself are available, Monday December 2nd will be the date of this next event.

I did like Wu's Wonton King when I last attended a dinner there, so if others are amenable would like to have it be the locale. Excellent food good service and zero corkage ! Does anyone object and if so am happy to take any suggestions. As the wines were so great last time lets keep the same theme. For those who attended last event and don't know how to interpret "special bottle" pretty much entails bring any kind of wine from any country which you are proud to share. The general range for anyone new to this event is generally btls in the $200-$300 range {or higher if you insist !}

The group of 8 that we had last time seemed perfect as everybody was able to get decent pours with enough left to revisit the wines as the evening progressed. Will be happy to expand the group size to 10 people maximum if enough interest.

For the few folks that are following the thread with interest and thinking of attending, I would urge you to join us and not hesitate as we already have 5 spots filled for the event and it was only posted 3 days ago. Yes the wine contribution is not small, but the opportunity to try so many other world class wines is rare and the dinner cost will be VERY modest for the city.

Last time the line up was mostly old world wines with a few exceptions like the 04 HSS I brought. Would like to have as many old world wines as possible although nobody will be refused if they bring a classic Napa Cab . I will profess a weakness for To Kalon wines as I have never had one I didn't like.

If anyone has any further questions feel free to ask on this thread or PM me.

For those who are just seeing this and wish to see the caliber of wines we enjoyed last time please check out the PDH thread to check out the line up. It was well worth the 2 hour train for me to attend, so for those close by should be an easy choice as long as you own a few gems in the cellar.

So now that a date has been chosen, who else would like to jump into the deep end of the pool to enjoy another very special evening ?

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 8th, 2019, 4:44 am

Thanks Jonathan. I can do Monday, 2nd December. Wednesday 11th December is the only day that definitely doesn’t work.

Looking forward to it.

Thomas Rippe

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux:: NYC Holiday Gala Mon. Dec 2nd

#19 Post by Thomas Rippe » November 8th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Thanks Jonathan, I'm in for all of it. Dec 2 at Wu's Wonton King and the theme.

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 9th, 2019, 8:31 am

Jonathan, shall we start gathering the list of wines?

Mike Reff

#21 Post by Mike Reff » November 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm

I will attend, is this on the 2nd? and I am not sure what I am bringing as of yet..

YLee

#22 Post by YLee » November 10th, 2019, 3:58 am

Watching this thread as well since I missed the last one due to injury. If the date you guys pick and if not chinese food, I am in but as of now looks like I will need to attend a future gathering.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jonathan Sirot

#23 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 10th, 2019, 4:23 am

Mike Reff wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm
I will attend, is this on the 2nd? and I am not sure what I am bringing as of yet..
Mike
Yes it is indeed on Dec 2nd and glad that you decided to join. Welcome to our humble little group !
No worries about being undecided, we have 3 weeks till the event, but if possible let's all try to declare our wines in the next 7 to 10 days so that folks who are fluctuating can see what gaps they might want to fill . I have already spent an hour or two trying to decide, but know that I will definitely bring a Champagne, as I adore it and have been constantly trying new small growers and am now a certified Envoyer frequent flyer. I will also bring a red as a second bottle, because it's what I do and I need the space.

If anyone else is on the fence, please jump in the pool, the water is warm.
Would like to max out at 10 folks and response has been great so far. We are currently at 7 attendees. If there are folks that would like to join but cannot make the date, no problem, I am going to try to make the trek to the city from my tiny Ct farm town and arrange these special dinners every second month if there is enough interest which I think there is.

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 10th, 2019, 4:44 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:23 am
Mike Reff wrote:
We are currently at 7 attendees. If there are folks that would like to join but cannot make the date, no problem, I am going to try to make the trek to the city from my tiny Ct farm town and arrange these special dinners every second month if there is enough interest which I think there is.
Only every other month [scratch.gif]

Jonathan Sirot

#25 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 10th, 2019, 7:20 am

Dinesh Goyal wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:44 am
Jonathan Sirot wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 4:23 am
Mike Reff wrote:
We are currently at 7 attendees. If there are folks that would like to join but cannot make the date, no problem, I am going to try to make the trek to the city from my tiny Ct farm town and arrange these special dinners every second month if there is enough interest which I think there is.
Only every other month [scratch.gif]
It is a bit of a haul for me so I can be certain to easily do every other month. I am not terribly close to NY the part of the state I am in, as I do not live in Fairfield County which has many towns a half hour away from the city. My quaint little town is smack dab in the middle of the state. So, half hour drive to New Haven train station, then almost precisely two hours of travel time on the express train. So a 3 or 4 hour offline which most are is a total of 9 or 10 hours of total time including travel time. I also do have my own Ct group where we hold them in W Hartford w great restaurants a half hour from home.

However if our core group all agrees that we want to try to do them every month, I could easily be persuaded. Especially as our group has such great palates and are often exposing me to wines that I have never tasted and have often wanted to. For example the Selosse Substance that Julie brought last time was one of the few classic legendary Champagnes that was on my bucket list and it was truly unique and unlike any Champagne I have ever tried and I drink a lot of bubbly. A real treat.

Mike C.

#26 Post by Mike C. » November 11th, 2019, 9:35 am

Count me in

(Jonathan—thanks for the email nudge)

Jonathan Sirot

#27 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 11th, 2019, 10:28 am

Mike C. wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 9:35 am
Count me in

(Jonathan—thanks for the email nudge)
Fantastic Mike ! Glad you can join again. Refreshing to see we have 7 out of 8 of the original group returning, and we now have filled our quota of people named Mike, as Mike Reff is also joining this time. Gonna be another great evening.

Jonathan Sirot

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- Please Start Posting Wines

#28 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Ok folks we are full at 10 folks. Dennis and Windy are part of my regular group for the past 2 years and are joining us from South Joisey.

Mike C.

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- FULL, Please Start Posting Wines

#29 Post by Mike C. » November 11th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Am thinking one of these:

2005 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Goulots
2006 Cayuse Bionic Frog
1969 Viuva Gomes Colares

Any preferences?

Jonathan Sirot

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- FULL, Please Start Posting Wines

#30 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 11th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Mike, Thanks for providing multiple choices. I think the Fourrier would be the best pick, as Dennis is bringing a 1995 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin. This way we can have a Burgundy flight with two classic producers, 10 years apart and try a Premier Cru as well as a Grand Cru. Should be a great flight.

The Frog is a great wine also. I don't get to try them too often, but just had it at a crazy 4 day event in Charleston. 3 nights in a row of world class wines. Then a double blind lunch Sunday. Amongst 10 wines were 97 Montelena, 02 Ridge MB, 1985 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace, and a 95 Chave. I have generous friends.

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Chris L » November 12th, 2019, 3:45 am

Wu's Wonton King is at 165 E Broadway, New York, NY 10002, right?

What time will we be meeting?
...andon

Michael Mahle
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#32 Post by Michael Mahle » November 12th, 2019, 7:26 am

Please add me to the waitlist for Dec. 2. Thanks!
Michael Mahle
Private Client Services
Zachys
mmahle@zachys.com
914-874-8027

Need Wine? Need to Sell Wine? I've got you covered.

Jonathan Sirot

#33 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 12th, 2019, 8:25 am

Michael Mahle wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:26 am
Mike
Thanks for the interest. You have been added to the waitlist on the number 1 spot. If you dont make this one please keep your eyes on the board as we had so much fun at my first event I will be doing them at least every 2nd month and possibly every month as a few of the gang have urged me to !

Jonathan Sirot

#34 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 12th, 2019, 8:29 am

Chris L wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 3:45 am

Yes you are correct !The address is 165 E Broadway New York NY 10022

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Chris L » November 12th, 2019, 8:42 am

I will bring:
2014 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Cuvée A Tempo
...andon

Jonathan Sirot

#36 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 12th, 2019, 8:44 am

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
Chris L wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 3:45 am

Yes you are correct !The address is 165 E Broadway New York NY 10022
Start time is 6:30

Please bring your own stems

Juliec

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- PLEASE POST WINES

#37 Post by Juliec » November 13th, 2019, 9:33 am

It's hard to choose. I'll likely bring a 1998 Gaja Sori Tilden.
hung

Mike Reff

Re: Bring a Special Bottle part deux: NYC Holiday Gala: Dec 2nd, Wu's Wonton King- PLEASE POST WINES

#38 Post by Mike Reff » November 15th, 2019, 9:58 am

Can I brown bag mine and let everyone guess, and then I can shake the hand of the person who gets closest to guessing?

Dinesh Goyal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Dinesh Goyal » November 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Bringing a 2000 Leoville Las Cases courtesy Jonathan’s cellar.

Mike Reff

#40 Post by Mike Reff » November 16th, 2019, 4:24 am

Folks,
Something came up and I am not going to be able to attend.

Have fun.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by J a y H a c k » November 16th, 2019, 7:47 am

Please put me on the wait list as this date now looks good. If Jonathan is going to bring a 2000 Voerzio, how about if I bring the 2000 Aldo Conterno Granbussia if I make it to the adult table. :)
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jonathan Sirot

#42 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 16th, 2019, 10:57 am

Michael Mahle wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:26 am
Mike Reff is unable to make it. Michael you are in. Please confirm you are still interested, and if so declare your wine at the earliest convenience. Our line up is looking glorious. Can't wait

phil.lukeman

#43 Post by phil.lukeman » November 17th, 2019, 7:14 am

I'm now available. In case of dropouts, I'd love to come and bring an Albert Boxler Pinot Gris Grand Cru Sommerberg 2007 (and yes: it ain't as fancy as the esteemed lineup above, but IMHO is special....)

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by TGigante » November 17th, 2019, 8:43 pm

2005 Joseph Phelps Insignia
Cheers,
Tony

Michael Mahle
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Michael Mahle » November 18th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Thank you! I'm in. Suggestions being sent to Jonathan via PM.
Michael Mahle
Private Client Services
Zachys
mmahle@zachys.com
914-874-8027

Need Wine? Need to Sell Wine? I've got you covered.

Ian S

#46 Post by Ian S » November 19th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Mike Reff wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 4:24 am
Folks,
Guess that saves one brown bag.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Jonathan Sirot

#47 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 19th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Ian S wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Mike Reff wrote:
Folks,
Excellent ! We saved a small tree's life...

Mike Reff

#48 Post by Mike Reff » November 19th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Ian S wrote:
Mike Reff wrote:
Folks,
Have to say Ian, for someone who is not involved with this event, the need to comment amazes me.

Mike Reff

#49 Post by Mike Reff » November 19th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Jonathan Sirot wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 3:26 pm
Ian S wrote:
Mike Reff wrote:
Folks,
Excellent ! We saved a small tree's life...
I could have used aluminum foil but that might upset the proponents of climate change

Jonathan Sirot

#50 Post by Jonathan Sirot » November 19th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Mike Reff wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Ian S wrote:
Mike Reff wrote:
Folks,
Have to say Ian, for someone who is not involved with this event, the need to comment amazes me.
I guess some peoples lives are mundane enough they live vicariously through others !

Return to “Offline Planner”