Shipping companies hates me

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
YLee

Shipping companies hates me

#1 Post by YLee » November 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

With the shipping season in full effect, does anyone else get angry delivery man? Seems some of these deliver people get angry at me for delivering two to four boxes of 12 wines per box. I could be wrong but seems FedEx usually lies and states they try to deliver but nobody was home even though somebody was home all day.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jeff_M.

Re: Shipping companies hates me

#2 Post by Jeff_M. » November 8th, 2019, 1:51 pm

All my wine ships to an offsite so I don't have to deal with the shipping crap. I used to have UPS always deliver wine at the end of the day after it had sat on a hot truck. No thanks
Jeff M 0 l l

dave kammerer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by dave kammerer » November 8th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I always tip my UPS and Fedex delivery persons. Never a problem.

GregT

#4 Post by GregT » November 8th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I don't get it. Their job is to deliver packages. You get one, your neighbor gets one, and three other neighbors get one each. How is that better or worse than delivering five to you? You're providing a job for the guy.

As far as tipping, he's doing his job. He gets paid for it. He should be tipping you for keeping him employed.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm

GregT wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 2:39 pm
I don't get it. Their job is to deliver packages. You get one, your neighbor gets one, and three other neighbors get one each. How is that better or worse than delivering five to you? You're providing a job for the guy.

As far as tipping, he's doing his job. He gets paid for it. He should be tipping you for keeping him employed.
Your neighbor gets a pair of slacks; you get 50 lbs of wine (every other day for several weeks for some of you!). I can see it getting old
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by joeduncan » November 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 1:51 pm
All my wine ships to an offsite so I don't have to deal with the shipping crap. I used to have UPS always deliver wine at the end of the day after it had sat on a hot truck. No thanks
Agreed. One of the absolute best things about my offsite is their handling of shipments. Mine just receives the boxes into a holding locker within the storage area (temporarily assigned to me), and I can go pick them up / transfer them to my main locker at my convenience (they ask within a month or so).

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by mattcitrang » November 8th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Business address v. private home. Big difference.

Many of these problems/complaints are localized to particular employees that don’t care about their job and just want to finish their route ASAP.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Michael O'Brien » November 8th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I don't have an off-site wine storage facility and I am retired. Home is the place. UPS is the worst for me because if I have to pick it up, their location is 30 miles away. FedEx and LSO (a Texas thing) have local offices.
PlanoWino

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by John Glas » November 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm

With the shipping season in full effect, does anyone else get angry delivery man? Seems some of these deliver people get angry at me for delivering two to four boxes of 12 wines per box. I could be wrong but seems FedEx usually lies and states they try to deliver but nobody was home even though somebody was home all day.
Don't you have FedEx Office as an option?

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Frank Drew » November 8th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm
GregT wrote:

Your neighbor gets a pair of slacks; you get 50 lbs of wine (every other day for several weeks for some of you!). I can see it getting old
That was my first thought, too.

dave kammerer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by dave kammerer » November 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Both Fedex and UPS will deliver to a local holding point. For me it is a Walgreens or the local UPS store, both close.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by alan weinberg » November 8th, 2019, 4:22 pm

GregT wrote:

+1

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by PaulMills » November 8th, 2019, 4:31 pm

All of my wine is delivered to my office. I have had both UPS and FedEx people complain about deliveries and tell me there are options in town for buying wine. I tried explaining to the first few that the wine I buy is not what i can get locally. I finally gave up.

My clients do not give me tips or bonuses for doing my job, my employer does.

Peter C.

#14 Post by Peter C. » November 8th, 2019, 5:32 pm

YLee wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Had a Cellaraiders order delivered today* that was set for delivery by EOD Thursday, so I feel your pain.

* Not Cellaraiders fault, this was Fedex Ground per my choice, delivered via a Budget truck.
( z y ® y ( @

T. Williams

#15 Post by T. Williams » November 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm

We generally don’t have any problems. Our delivery drivers are dropping off 3-6 amazon packages a week anyway so what is a few more!

They do get slightly confused by how much wine is incoming around this time of year. They must think we throw a hell of a Thanksgiving party.

TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

J. Rock

#16 Post by J. Rock » November 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm

The FedEx, UPS, GSO people deliver to my office and use a hand cart and the elevator, so I don't think they have too much to complain about. My assistants have never said anything about them being grumpy.

My home UPS guy often doesn't even ring my bell (for normal packages), presumably because of my dogs... but I wish he would so I know when the packages arrive.
J o r d a n

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by JFPelletier » November 8th, 2019, 5:42 pm

I get all my deliveries at my office, but I make sure to give a bottle to the shipping department guy at the end of the season since it is not a work related delivery.

JF

Dale Williams

#18 Post by Dale Williams » November 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm

If I read the OP correctly, there is not actually evidence of an angry driver, just a "tried to deliver" when someone was actually home. I've had those on deliveries of quite light items , so think there's some projection going on here. Plus, most routes have same driver, so delaying a delivery doesn't save any lifting, though it may get driver home a few minutes earlier on a particular night. But he'll need to deliver next day. He may have to unload at end of day anyway for rescan.

I'm lucky enough to have an office where I can get my wine deliveries In 20+ years no driver has ever seemed grumpy about wine cases (though there have been some generally grumpy drivers). As a general rule I've found if you are pleasant to drivers they are nice to you. At years end I have tipped those who are regular and helpful (in the case of the one who was interested in wine with wine). I didn't regard it as a "fee", but as an appreciation of good service.
It's good to know if I need a urologist he will tip me as I am providing his job.
Last edited by Dale Williams on November 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YLee

#19 Post by YLee » November 8th, 2019, 6:14 pm

John Glas wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Don't you have FedEx Office as an option?
You mean Fedex dropoff location? I do but get this, for some reason whenever I do that my wines get delivered 3 days later.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by M. Dildine » November 8th, 2019, 6:15 pm

dave kammerer wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 2:04 pm
I always tip my UPS and Fedex delivery persons. Never a problem.
I do too. We're on the best of terms and I get fantastic service.
Cheers,

Mike

YLee

#21 Post by YLee » November 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm
If I read the OP correctly, there is not actually evidence of an angry driver, just a "tried to deliver" when someone was actually home. I've had those on deliveries of quite light items , so think there's some projection going on here. Plus, most routes have same driver, so delaying a delivery doesn't save any lifting, though it may get driver home a few minutes earlier on a particular night. But he'll need to deliver next day. He may have to unload at end of day anyway for rescan.

I'm lucky enough to have an office where I can get my wine deliveries In 20+ years no driver has ever seemed grumpy about wine cases (though there have been some generally grumpy drivers). As a general rule I've found if you are pleasant to drivers they are nice to you. At years end I have tipped those who are regular and helpful (in the case of the one who was interested in wine with wine). I didn't regard it as a "fee", but as an appreciation of good service.
It's good to know if I need a urologist he will tip me as I am providing his job.
Maybe I didnt write it clearly. Problem #1 is grumpy or angry delivery guy. Just had one today. He was very pissed and annoyed I had 4 boxes. Problem #2 stating nobody was home when someone was. On the same day UPS delivered something and had no issues.

Also, I dont know how UPS or Fedex works where I live but I see new faces very frequently.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Dan Kravitz » November 8th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Our FEDEX driver loves us because he loves our dog, and our dog loves him and the cookies he brings. Doesn't matter to him if it's four boxes of white anchovies in one package weighing 5 pounds or four boxes of wine weighing 35 - 55 pounds (the latter if it's Champagne or wine bottled in war clubs).

But I live in Maine and the pace and tenor of life is different here. This makes me extremely happy.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

PeterJ

#23 Post by PeterJ » November 8th, 2019, 6:58 pm

J. Rock wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm
My home UPS guy often doesn't even ring my bell (for normal packages), presumably because of my dogs... but I wish he would so I know when the packages arrive.
Interesting. The shipper is paying extra to have an adult signature taken and to not break the law.
Peter J@ckel

Victor Hong

#24 Post by Victor Hong » November 8th, 2019, 7:45 pm

GregT wrote:
..... As far as tipping, he's doing his job. He gets paid for it. He should be tipping you for keeping him employed.
I dare you to sit down for service at my shop. The only tip which you would ever get from me would have been chopped off a tail.
WineHunter.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#25 Post by Robert M yers » November 8th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Ive had some annoyed looking drivers for sure. I always go out to meet them at the truck and help ect. When I see them. But I’m not tipping the fed ex guy. I have a feeling they get annoyed because of the signature though. I wouldn’t want to unload 4 cases either before I knew someone was home, so they have to make two trips to get it done I guess.

GregT

#26 Post by GregT » November 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 7:45 pm
GregT wrote:
..... As far as tipping, he's doing his job. He gets paid for it. He should be tipping you for keeping him employed.
I dare you to sit down for service at my shop. The only tip which you would ever get from me would have been chopped off a tail.
[wow.gif]

OK, maybe he doesn't tip. But if he's bitching or annoyed because you keep getting packages that are fifty pounds, he needs to get a new job. It's like working at some drive-thru window and getting annoyed because some guy keeps ordering cheeseburgers instead of just taking the plain hamburger. WTF? People are supposed to take into account the personal preferences of delivery guys now?

"I'd really love to order a case of this wine but my delivery guy doesn't like the full cases, so I'll just take three bottles."

The fake attempt to deliver is really irritating though. I've waited at home with the door open and when I called UPS I was told that the driver attempted delivery! Of course there was no door tag since he didn't even bother to drive by. I assume he just drove home, went to sleep, and then filled out a bunch of dummy door tags.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Tom Reddick » November 8th, 2019, 9:48 pm

YLee wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Also, I dont know how UPS or Fedex works where I live but I see new faces very frequently.
Depends on the route, but in busier areas there are often temporary workers used to help with higher volume. You see that a lot this time of year as well with the holidays coming- most city routes will have temporary drivers doing extra runs.

For my part, I agree with the sentiments of most in this thread. Delivery drivers are unionized and do just fine for themselves compared to many other workers. I consider myself a generous and frequent tipper- but I only ever do it for UPS or Fed-Ex when they are delivering a LOT of boxes and I need them to bring them up to my condo rather than leave them at the front desk.

That said, last year I just started having everything sent to my business PO box at a UPS store. Not just wine, in the instances where I can even have it shipped here, but anything of value. A couple of years ago when the rash of doorstep thefts happened in my area in Dallas, $2400 in ostrich hides were taken from my front door in a secured condo building with a doorman and security. Happened to tons of people before the guys were caught.

The package had been marked for signature required, but the UPS driver did not care. UPS paid out the full insurance claim, but less than a month later I came home again to find another 4-figure box of animal hides sitting in front of my door. Not stolen that time, but clearly UPS is being very slack in policy enforcement- I would imagine some of my fellow MBAs did the math and figured it was cheaper to pay out claims than take the time required to follow their own terms of service when people pay a premium for signature required and other services.

Many wines are far harder to replace than raw materials for making wine bags, so I just use the UPS store option and avoid all the difficulties and perils of home deliveries when someone is not usually home during the day. Very much worth the $25 a month.

This was a UPS story, but Fed-Ex is no better. Especially during the holidays when volume picks up.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Arv R

#28 Post by Arv R » November 8th, 2019, 10:17 pm

GregT wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 7:45 pm
GregT wrote:
[wow.gif]

OK, maybe he doesn't tip. But if he's bitching or annoyed because you keep getting packages that are fifty pounds, he needs to get a new job. It's like working at some drive-thru window and getting annoyed because some guy keeps ordering cheeseburgers instead of just taking the plain hamburger. WTF? People are supposed to take into account the personal preferences of delivery guys now?

"I'd really love to order a case of this wine but my delivery guy doesn't like the full cases, so I'll just take three bottles."

The fake attempt to deliver is really irritating though. I've waited at home with the door open and when I called UPS I was told that the driver attempted delivery! Of course there was no door tag since he didn't even bother to drive by. I assume he just drove home, went to sleep, and then filled out a bunch of dummy door tags.
I think the the whole 'I tried to deliver but they weren't home' schtick is harder to pull off now, given that so many people have HD cameras all over their house approaches. Or Ring devices.

If people can get deliveries to a Walgreen's, I have found that works pretty well.
R_@_0

Dale Williams

#29 Post by Dale Williams » November 9th, 2019, 4:44 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:48 pm
Delivery drivers are unionized and do just fine for themselves compared to many other workers.
UPS drivers are unionized, Fedex aren't. But they are comparatively well paid.
If I driver was rude or angry simply because I had heavy boxes, I'd report to management.
Arv R wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:17 pm

I think the the whole 'I tried to deliver but they weren't home' schtick is harder to pull off now, given that so many people have HD cameras all over their house approaches. Or Ring devices.
Plus I believe most of the trucks have GPS, so if driver is not at least on the street management will know if there's a pattern

Albert R

#30 Post by Albert R » November 9th, 2019, 4:55 am

I have 99% of my wine delivered to the local FedEx Store. They are great! During the holidays I get the manager and some staff if they have been there long enough gift cards.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Steve Crawford

#31 Post by Steve Crawford » November 9th, 2019, 5:59 am

ok boomer

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by mattcitrang » November 9th, 2019, 6:22 am

Albert R wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:55 am
I have 99% of my wine delivered to the local FedEx Store. They are great! During the holidays I get the manager and some staff if they have been there long enough gift cards.
What do you do for UPS shipments?

Albert R

#33 Post by Albert R » November 9th, 2019, 6:33 am

mattcitrang wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 6:22 am
Albert R wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:55 am
What do you do for UPS shipments?
Matt, UPS is horrific in South Florida. If the winery or vendor does not ship FedEx I don’t purchase. One exception-The Black Cat Lady. I then have it shipped to my work.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

JBucholz

#34 Post by JBucholz » November 9th, 2019, 6:37 am

I developed a good relationship with my FedEx guy, to the point where we had an agreement that he would sign for me and leave my wine if I weren’t home (where we lived it was always protected from the elements and safe from porch pirates). He mentioned to me that he had a couple of other regular wine buying customers for which he did the same thing. I asked him if the others received as much shipped wine as I did and he grinned and said, “Brother, you’re the king!”
J 1 m B u c h 0 l 2

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Brian Tuite » November 9th, 2019, 7:13 am

Most all the drivers know me and know there are only adults living here. I have an agreement with them. They can put deliveries in my garage. No problem. They get a nice tip every year. This week I had a FedEx Delivery notice in my email. I left the driver a note, signature and instructions on my front door but came home to a door tag. I left him a new note asking him to leave it at the package store in Podunk. Next day I have a delivery exception when I checked tracking. I contact FedEx and ask that the package be reconsigned/redirected to the package store. They decline and say the closest place they can bring it is the Walgreens in Santa Rosa 10 miles away. Seeing that the shipping was generated on and billed to my FedEx acct I would have thought that I am the one who decides where it goes. Apparently not.
Luckily the driver heeded my note and left it at the package store.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#36 Post by larry schaffer » November 9th, 2019, 7:33 am

JBucholz wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 6:37 am
I developed a good relationship with my FedEx guy, to the point where we had an agreement that he would sign for me and leave my wine if I weren’t home (where we lived it was always protected from the elements and safe from porch pirates). He mentioned to me that he had a couple of other regular wine buying customers for which he did the same thing. I asked him if the others received as much shipped wine as I did and he grinned and said, “Brother, you’re the king!”
The problem with this and someone above who said that the UPS driver just left their boxes without a signature is that it's totally illegal - and you'll have zero recourse in the case that there are any 'issues'. It always cracks me up how some folks have an affinity for a specific shipping company because their driver does stuff like this and takes care of them - it's great until something goes sideways, and unfortunately, it may at the end of the day. I get it, but this is one of the reasons why it's as expensive as it is to ship alcohol in this country.

And as far as delivering to a UPS or Fed Ex drop off, remember that one shipping company may not deliver to the other's locations, so be careful about this.

As far as the original OP, wine is heavy - much heavier than a lot of things that are shipped these days. This can get people cranky for sure . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Mattstolz » November 9th, 2019, 9:22 am

i just have all of mine held at the local Fedex/UPS shipping centers or shipping stores. i dont have to wait for it and they dont have to carry it around. seems to make everyones life easier.

JBucholz

#38 Post by JBucholz » November 9th, 2019, 7:44 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 7:33 am
JBucholz wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 6:37 am
The problem with this and someone above who said that the UPS driver just left their boxes without a signature is that it's totally illegal - and you'll have zero recourse in the case that there are any 'issues'. It always cracks me up how some folks have an affinity for a specific shipping company because their driver does stuff like this and takes care of them - it's great until something goes sideways, and unfortunately, it may at the end of the day. I get it, but this is one of the reasons why it's as expensive as it is to ship alcohol in this country.

And as far as delivering to a UPS or Fed Ex drop off, remember that one shipping company may not deliver to the other's locations, so be careful about this.

As far as the original OP, wine is heavy - much heavier than a lot of things that are shipped these days. This can get people cranky for sure . . .

Cheers.
You’re absolutely right... it is illegal. And for that reason, I had agreed with the driver that I would not tell anyone what he was doing. At the time though, I was still working and because I couldn’t arrange to be home when the shipment came it was worth the risk to me. I never did have a problem, but if I did I was resigned to eat the loss. The time and effort that I saved in redirecting the shipment to where I could physically pick it up on another day was worth far more than a potential lost shipment.

I’m sorry for all the additional shipping dollars you have incurred because because I made this choice.
J 1 m B u c h 0 l 2

GregT

#39 Post by GregT » November 9th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Oh they totally refuse. I inadvertently did that a few times. Forgot that a package was coming UPS and entered the FedEx store for delivery. When I got PO'd and checked, I realized it was my mistake. So I got PO'd at someone for something else - no use wasting a good pissed off mood!

But as far as the home doorbell cameras - you'd think that would be the case. And also for apartments. And yet, within the last six months, twice I've had the UPS guy claim to have made a delivery that never happened. Once at an apartment which is staffed all day - he claimed he was there around 2:00. Not true. The next at my house where I left the front door open and specifically stayed in the house, kitchen, or front yard garden. Again, it was a ghost delivery.

The thing about the Fed Ex people is that some are corporate and others are private franchises. Used to be the ones with green lettering were private, those with orange lettering corporate. The private guys were generally better about things because if they make an extra trip, it was on them.
G . T a t a r

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Randy Bowman » November 9th, 2019, 8:08 pm

So far we have had good relations with our UPS drivers. We've had four different drivers over the last 6 years so there's a learning curve with each new driver. We have the cell number of our regular driver so we can notify him to get help when we are shipping for the holidays, have other large shipments or nothing to ship. When our regular driver is off we've been fortunate to have very good service from fill in drivers. The largest shipment we've stuck him with is 60 six packs and 3 cases. We helped load and everything went smooth. Yes, he is tipped well and worth every penny.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by David Glasser » November 10th, 2019, 8:16 am

Dale Williams wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 4:44 am

UPS drivers are unionized, Fedex aren't. But they are comparatively well paid.
If I driver was rude or angry simply because I had heavy boxes, I'd report to management.
The driver would have to make me feel pretty uncomfortable, and more than once, for me to report them to management. Everyone has a bad day. Never had a "ghost" delivery but that would annoy me more than a grumpy driver.

Heavy boxes, having to wait for a signature (my guys play by the rules)... sure it's not forced labor but wine boxes have to be among the more annoying parts of a job that isn't exactly inspirational to start with. Occasionally the delivery guy is in a hurry and a bit gruff, but not often.

I give them a tip every year around the holidays. They're totally surprised and pleased every time. They say it's not necessary and it's their job. I doubt it makes any difference in their service but it sure cheers them up.

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Tom DeBiase » November 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm
GregT wrote:

Also up 3 flights of stairs because you live in a 3rd story apartment [cheers.gif]

GregT

#43 Post by GregT » November 10th, 2019, 11:52 am

Yeah but the elevator worked most of the time!

And these guys have hand trucks to wheel the heavy stuff. Not to mention that a case only weighs around forty pounds. If that's heavy, the guy should probably retire.

We did get a bunch of cases once. My wife said the Fed Ex guy was laughing. He came up first to make sure we were home before he schlepped them up. Two days later we had another delivery. He asked if we were opening a business. And my wife said he wouldn't let her take them - he put them in the apartment for her. Good guy.

And that was basically it - we don't get boxes all the time.

By and large the delivery guys are pretty good. I take boxes for neighbors sometimes so the delivery guys don't have to make a return trip. Plus it helps create some sense of community with the neighbors.
G . T a t a r

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Mattstolz » November 11th, 2019, 2:53 pm

your UPS/Fedex guys are lucky. Mine has to deal with wine shipments AND orders from Rogue Fitness. having to deliver a box filled with olympic kilo plates? I'll take the case of wine any day.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » November 11th, 2019, 3:43 pm

But are the tippers, tipping the full 20%?

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Mattstolz » November 11th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:43 pm
But are the tippers, tipping the full 20%?
oh no here we go. [popcorn.gif]

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#47 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » November 12th, 2019, 5:44 am

When I lived in NJ, I had the same UPS guy for 20+ years. He was a total pro, very kind about carrying the heavy boxes for me (he knew to unload near garage, put on handcart and bring to cellar). I tipped him every Christmas, which I think was appropriate, considering he went well beyond just doing his job to help me.

In contrast, I had a revolving door of Fed Ex drivers, including some who I am sure didn't even bother to ring the bell when I had multiple boxes, just left a missed delivery tag. Didn't ever tip those guys.

YLee

#48 Post by YLee » November 12th, 2019, 5:58 am

In my experience, the UPS guys were better at their job than FedEx.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

John Danza

#49 Post by John Danza » November 12th, 2019, 6:22 am

J. Rock wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:37 pm
I set up online accounts with both UPS and FedEx. There's no cost. One of the advantages would solve J's problem, because I get texts when the package is out for delivery and when it has been delivered. No need for the doorbell to ring.
John Danza

John Danza

#50 Post by John Danza » November 12th, 2019, 6:26 am

YLee wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 5:58 am
In my experience, the UPS guys were better at their job than FedEx.
I would agree with that based on my experience last week with FedEx Ground (the worst shipper ever, or since DHL). I had four boxes coming from WineBid. When it hit the local depot to go on trucks for delivery (to my office), the local depot managed to put two boxes on one truck and two on another truck. Truck #1 delivered his two boxes just fine.

Truck #2 reported they tried to deliver at 1:30pm and "no one was around". It's a 10-story office building. There's always someone around. I was there waiting for the guy. Basically, the driver lied. He never tried to deliver. I finally had to have the boxes held at a facility 15 miles away so I was assured of getting them.

My bad for not having these redirected to the local FedEx store.
John Danza

Return to “Wine Talk”