I have become the Wine Nazi!

A forum for and about wine retailing. Consumer questions, retailer rants, etc. All are welcome to post
Larry Kaplan

I have become the Wine Nazi!

#1 Post by Larry Kaplan » November 8th, 2019, 9:34 am

So Yesterday I poured what was probably my 5,000th tasting. This was a Charity tasting to help a local group aiding the elderly and poor. We handed out booklet listing each and every wine being poured, and the tables. Each table had the actual bottles set up on the table and in the order they were being poured. There were signs on the tables Identifying table and the person pouring. Yet, 90% of these f*ck people approached and asked what do you have. NO, just NO, f*ck you! If you are to lazy or stupid to have to ask this question then no wine for you! Come back when you get a clue. NEXT!! Also when you walk up and say just give me a red or something sweet fine I will pour it for you but if you had no interest in what you are drinking do not expect me to engage or then answer the question hey what is this. NO OK I feel mildly better end of rant!
The Wine Cellar

ODERINT DUM METUANT
The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. A.Einstein

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I have become the Wine Nazi!

#2 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

So what were you pouring?

Victor Hong

Re:

#3 Post by Victor Hong » November 8th, 2019, 10:13 am

Like people who walk into my shop, and ask what is good.
WineHunter.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Re:

#4 Post by Doug Schulman » November 12th, 2019, 9:02 am

Victor Hong wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:13 am
Probably the most common question I get when pouring at consumer tastings is "anything good today?". I've taken to saying, "no, all crap today." I say it with a smile, and they always chuckle, probably not realizing that I have drawn attention to how silly their question was.
ITB - retail sales and education

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jay Selman » December 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Larry Kaplan wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:34 am
So Yesterday I poured what was probably my 5,000th tasting. This was a Charity tasting to help a local group aiding the elderly and poor. We handed out booklet listing each and every wine being poured, and the tables. Each table had the actual bottles set up on the table and in the order they were being poured. There were signs on the tables Identifying table and the person pouring. Yet, 90% of these f*ck people approached and asked what do you have. NO, just NO, f*ck you! If you are to lazy or stupid to have to ask this question then no wine for you! Come back when you get a clue. NEXT!! Also when you walk up and say just give me a red or something sweet fine I will pour it for you but if you had no interest in what you are drinking do not expect me to engage or then answer the question hey what is this. NO OK I feel mildly better end of rant!
I know at times, I have trouble (I need reading glasses) reading the signs , bottles, etc because the type is too small or people are blocking my view. Asking to try a red Vs something more specific does not necessarily translate to lack of interest, sometimes is simply more efficient. I think you should consider giving the taster the benefit of doubt.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mark Y » December 4th, 2019, 2:43 pm

A charity tasting.. so people are probably there to have fun.. and most people aren't there to study a booklet?

wow..
Y.e.

Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Re:

#7 Post by Jay Selman » December 4th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 9:02 am
Victor Hong wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:13 am
Probably the most common question I get when pouring at consumer tastings is "anything good today?". I've taken to saying, "no, all crap today." I say it with a smile, and they always chuckle, probably not realizing that I have drawn attention to how silly their question was.
Yikes! I could see myself saying "I think this one is drinking particularly well today. Tell me what you think?"

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by T. Altmayer » December 7th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I think all of these people are just trying to politely start a conversation rather than just say "pour me the pinot." Seems pretty harmless to me.
Tom

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by CJ Beazley » December 8th, 2019, 11:53 am

Larry Kaplan wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:34 am
If you find this bothersome, DO NOT get in the golf business!
It's C(raig)

Return to “Wine Pimps”