$300 Chinese Wine Arrives In America

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by John Morris » August 4th, 2017, 9:04 am

Arv R wrote: Additionally I find the TW concierge email offerings to be simply embarrassing. Whoever sends those out ought to be professionally ashamed.
TW?
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Eric Egan

#52 Post by Eric Egan » August 4th, 2017, 9:09 am

I've actually tried this and, for what it is, it's really a very good wine. Not my style at all, so i won't be buying it, but it's basically in the same league (and style) as a high quality modern Napa Cab. As they can command significantly higher prices I don't see a problem with $300 for this.
Composer and Lecturer | UK

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by k s h i n » August 4th, 2017, 10:56 am

Eric Egan wrote:I've actually tried this and, for what it is, it's really a very good wine. Not my style at all, so i won't be buying it, but it's basically in the same league (and style) as a high quality modern Napa Cab. As they can command significantly higher prices I don't see a problem with $300 for this.
I thought this is equivalent of $30-50 Napa cab. The fruit is distinctively red and there is a hint of green bell pepper, very unique and I wouldn’t associate with the high end Napa cabs.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Eric Egan

#54 Post by Eric Egan » August 5th, 2017, 2:06 am

k s h i n wrote:
Eric Egan wrote:I've actually tried this and, for what it is, it's really a very good wine. Not my style at all, so i won't be buying it, but it's basically in the same league (and style) as a high quality modern Napa Cab. As they can command significantly higher prices I don't see a problem with $300 for this.
I thought this is equivalent of $30-50 Napa cab. The fruit is distinctively red and there is a hint of green bell pepper, very unique and I wouldn’t associate with the high end Napa cabs.
Fair enough. I thought the green pepper blew off quickly and got darker berries (blackcurrant (leaf and fruit) as well as hints of blackberries and plumbs) as well as some red fruit. I was served this blind and immediately went to Napa, as did the other person I was tasting with - we both thought it was a high quality modern (though not excessively extracted) wine. May be that there's some bottle variation though, or it could just be a matter of taste I guess.

I don't really think it's worth $300 but then there are a lot of other $300 wines that I don't think warrant more than a $30-50 price mark. As such, though overpriced, I don't think it's out of line with the type of wines that it's associating itself with. To reference the title of the thread, there are plenty of $300 US wines in China that I would consider to be similarly overpriced.
Last edited by Eric Egan on August 5th, 2017, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Breitenmoser

#55 Post by Marc Breitenmoser » August 5th, 2017, 2:17 am

A Ballin wrote:Count me in as someone who has tried it and also purchased it.

The wine is very good, exceeded all expectations, and the story and hardships endured by the winemaking team are something else.

A fascinating, entrepreneurial wine.
I placed an order at ARVI (Switzerland) a few months ago. The order via their site was never processed. They still have a stock of approximatively 400 bottles as they've had on release if memory serves. I too find it an interesting story and am certain to try it and stash a few bottles away.

I thought the prices was quite excessive at the moment I placed an order for 12 bottles. Probably why I didn't press them on execution a few weeks later. I don't expect them to fly off the shelves and considering the remaining stock at ARVI allone, I'll wait until they'll discount them.
@wine.rocks
@swissrhonerangers

k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by k s h i n » August 9th, 2017, 6:21 am

Eric Egan wrote:Fair enough. I thought the green pepper blew off quickly and got darker berries (blackcurrant (leaf and fruit) as well as hints of blackberries and plumbs) as well as some red fruit. I was served this blind and immediately went to Napa, as did the other person I was tasting with - we both thought it was a high quality modern (though not excessively extracted) wine. May be that there's some bottle variation though, or it could just be a matter of taste I guess.
I somehow missed that it was served blind. That would have been a very good guess.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Ed Steinway » August 9th, 2017, 6:49 am

John Morris wrote:
TW?
I believe Arv is referring to Total Wine. They send out concierge emails with offers from time to time.

Thanks,
Ed

Eric Egan

#58 Post by Eric Egan » August 9th, 2017, 11:44 am

k s h i n wrote:
Eric Egan wrote:Fair enough. I thought the green pepper blew off quickly and got darker berries (blackcurrant (leaf and fruit) as well as hints of blackberries and plumbs) as well as some red fruit. I was served this blind and immediately went to Napa, as did the other person I was tasting with - we both thought it was a high quality modern (though not excessively extracted) wine. May be that there's some bottle variation though, or it could just be a matter of taste I guess.
I somehow missed that it was served blind. That would have been a very good guess.
I didn't say it was (blind), in my first post. In retrospect I noticed that it had a faint and unusual (though not unpleasant), almost bitter clove-like edge to it. It was unlike most Chinese wines I've had, though when I knew what it was it did remind me of a bottle of Chateau Reifeng-Auzias 2010 that I had in at the wine ship in Schipol airport a few years ago, which was also very good. They were selling that for €150 or so at the time I think. The next time I passed through I bought a few of those at a discount because they couldn't shift them all. I suspect that it might also happen to this wine in the end, once the initial hype has worn off.

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: $300 Chinese Wine Arrives In America

#59 Post by Geoff F. » November 7th, 2019, 6:57 pm

I tried the 2014 at an LVMH event last night. Pyrazines for daaaaays. I didn't know what it was when I tried it but I thought to myself that it was a red wine that would go strangely well with Chinese food, then learned it was Chinese. And then saw the price. I agree with everyone else that it's worth $50-100. It's a well made wine with a cool story and there's a novelty factor there. But I've also had $20 Sonoma meritage blends with similar profiles.

They were really proud of the wooden case too, and said it was important for the gift giving culture of their Chinese clientele.

Looking ahead, if this is the first attempt at serious wine in China, none of them are going to buy Bordeaux in 30 years. They're going to discover national pride before then and focus their buying inwards.
F r a n z

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by John Glas » November 7th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Appellation is China? Dam that is a big country. Can't you come up with some catchy vineyard???

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Geoff F. » November 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm

John Glas wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Appellation is China? Dam that is a big country. Can't you come up with some catchy vineyard???
They claim its from Shangri-la 😂
F r a n z

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Mark Y » November 7th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm
John Glas wrote:
It’s from yunnan province. I think the village is called shangri-la.
Y.e.

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Geoff F. » November 7th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Mark Y wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Geoff F. wrote:
John Glas wrote:
Yep. Yunnan is the size of California though. They really play up the Shangri-La location because it sounds exotic and expensive (the city was renamed from Zhongdian 中甸县 in 2001). I believe the vineyards are scattered around Yunnan, so they could pretty much pick whatever "host" city they wanted for the vineyard.
F r a n z

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Mark Y » November 7th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Mark Y wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 9:20 pm
Geoff F. wrote:

Yep. Yunnan is the size of California though. They really play up the Shangri-La location because it sounds exotic and expensive (the city was renamed from Zhongdian 中甸县 in 2001). I believe the vineyards are scattered around Yunnan, so they could pretty much pick whatever "host" city they wanted for the vineyard.
Hahahah oh yah. I’m sure it’s marketing driven! [wow.gif] [wow.gif]
Y.e.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Anton D » November 7th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 6:57 pm
I tried the 2014 at an LVMH event last night. Pyrazines for daaaaays. I didn't know what it was when I tried it but I thought to myself that it was a red wine that would go strangely well with Chinese food, then learned it was Chinese. And then saw the price. I agree with everyone else that it's worth $50-100. It's a well made wine with a cool story and there's a novelty factor there. But I've also had $20 Sonoma meritage blends with similar profiles.

They were really proud of the wooden case too, and said it was important for the gift giving culture of their Chinese clientele.

Looking ahead, if this is the first attempt at serious wine in China, none of them are going to buy Bordeaux in 30 years. They're going to discover national pride before then and focus their buying inwards.
I’m not likely to ever get to try this wine, so thanks for the mental note.

“Pyrazines for days” is very evocative and, I think, well described. I wonder if I could guess this wine blind, just based on your post!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

jgreco
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by jgreco » November 8th, 2019, 4:22 am

They had this at an event showing off the Moet portfolio about 6 months ago in NYC. It showed poorly and everyone was floored by the ridiculous price. It was equivalent in quality to a $50 Napa cab blend with few defining characteristics. It seems to have a single target audience only: rich Chinese living in North America who want to have a trophy wine from their homeland.
Cheers, Jim

Return to “Wine Talk”