Willamette wineries to visit in October???

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Willamette wineries to visit in October???

#51 Post by R M Kriete » November 2nd, 2019, 10:51 am

Erica,
Couldn’t your daughter have hitchhiked 😜

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Mark.Ricca » November 2nd, 2019, 11:47 am

We just got back a two weeks ago.
I kept our itinerary loose and flexible, with visits limited to no more than 3 appointments a day. Doing my homework beforehand I made notes on who was by appointment only, and who was walk in welcome.

Usually we had only 2 appts. per day which left us able to add more walk in visits if desired.

Had a great time with Jim at PGC, and Doug Tunnell at Brick House, and also Jim Prosser at JK Carriere. Love the opportunity to sit and talk with folks who are hands on, and taste and chat about the wines.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#53 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 2nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

[quote="Erica Landon" post_id=2839590 time=1572708408 user_id=16028

Stuart, I feel that it is important to share how difficult it is for small wineries to host appointments during harvest, as we have modest crews juggling an incredible amount of work. We feel that it is such a special time of year, so we make it a priority to share the process with our guests. During this time of year, we limit appointments to once each day, 5 days a week, where we combine a few groups together and show them all that is happening in the winery. Had you made the appointment directly with Walter Scott I would have communicated that punctuality is VERY important as you are tasting with others AND due to it being Harvest, our team's schedule is incredibly tight. Our appointments were full in the morning of your visit, and because Seth requested on your behalf we made an exception to host a second group that day which quickly filled up. The appointment was scheduled to begin at 1:30 in the afternoon. Ken and the other guests waited for 15 minutes for your group to arrive. At 1:45 I began texting Seth to try and reach you and determine if you were still coming to the winery that day. At 2:10 Seth responded that he was not sure, as he was out of the state. By that time, the tasting was well underway and we asked Seth to tell you we no longer able to see you, as it would require us to host the 3rd appointment and that wasn't possible. Your group arrived 2:40 just as I was leaving the winery to collect our daughter from school.

As a note to all who visit small producers during harvest, or really any time of year, please keep in mind that they are incredibly busy running their small businesses and they rearrange their entire schedules and open wine to host you. Making sure to stay on schedule and respect everyone who has made it a priority to host you is so important. Communicating with the wineries what your schedule is so they can help keep you on schedule and get you out to your next appointment, as well as not overbooking your trip is important etiquette.
[/quote]

Erica,

My apologies for the visit at my place taking longer than anticipated. I should have asked on arrival what the day held, and kept the visit on track. I checked in over at Cristom to let them know that we had run long, and they were just on a general visit. I should have checked in with you as well.

Harvest is a chaotic time for all of us, and I am sorry both that you were inconvenienced and that Stuart missed your wines.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#54 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » November 2nd, 2019, 2:36 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am
Thanks for all your nice comments, invites and pm's....

I am hoping to spend a day in the Willamette Valley on Monday October 21. Will be staying in Portland with family for 3 days, so one day visiting and tasting is max. Really looking forward to this, a long time goal. (I've never been to CA wineries and am going to skip them for this). Will focus more on the specifics as time gets closer. Lots of great opportunities.

Wonder what I should bring along as wampum?
Stuart,

It was really lovely to meet you, your wife, and friends. It’s always a pleasure to spend a bit of time with someone as knowledgeable as you. While time got away from me, the opportunity meet you was a highlight.
Your generosity with wampum is also VERY appreciated. I hope that the Willamette Valley wines you took home are highlights for you in the coming years as well(and an indication that the terroirs in the Willamette Valley are worthy of the early hopes).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#55 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Erica Landon wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 8:26 am
Tasting with Marcus was as good as it gets as far as education and curiosity. However, the time flew, and our schedule was irretrievably broken. [oops.gif wrote: Marcus, we though, was calling our next two appointments: Walter Scott and Cristom. But, when we arrived at Walter Scott, we were (probably justifiably) greeted by a decidely annoyed winemaker who said we were an hour late and to come back "next time." (There is not likely to be a next time, sadly) I had been particularly interested in tasting their wines, and am still curious, but......
Stuart, I feel that it is important to share how difficult it is for small wineries to host appointments during harvest, as we have modest crews juggling an incredible amount of work. We feel that it is such a special time of year, so we make it a priority to share the process with our guests. During this time of year, we limit appointments to once each day, 5 days a week, where we combine a few groups together and show them all that is happening in the winery. Had you made the appointment directly with Walter Scott I would have communicated that punctuality is VERY important as you are tasting with others AND due to it being Harvest, our team's schedule is incredibly tight. Our appointments were full in the morning of your visit, and because Seth requested on your behalf we made an exception to host a second group that day which quickly filled up. The appointment was scheduled to begin at 1:30 in the afternoon. Ken and the other guests waited for 15 minutes for your group to arrive. At 1:45 I began texting Seth to try and reach you and determine if you were still coming to the winery that day. At 2:10 Seth responded that he was not sure, as he was out of the state. By that time, the tasting was well underway and we asked Seth to tell you we no longer able to see you, as it would require us to host the 3rd appointment and that wasn't possible. Your group arrived 2:40 just as I was leaving the winery to collect our daughter from school.

As a note to all who visit small producers during harvest, or really any time of year, please keep in mind that they are incredibly busy running their small businesses and they rearrange their entire schedules and open wine to host you. Making sure to stay on schedule and respect everyone who has made it a priority to host you is so important. Communicating with the wineries what your schedule is so they can help keep you on schedule and get you out to your next appointment, as well as not overbooking your trip is important etiquette.
Erica, it sounds like there was a "failure to communicate"-- all around here. We had no idea of the details you list. We had no number to call; and were told that time wasn't of the essence and that someone would be calling you to confirm we'd be there.

Making sure to stay on schedule is a great concept, IF you know it's important to do so. (My experience in Burgundy and other places is that it only sometimes is, but that's irrelevant.) It's all about communications....and we were all "guilty" here. (I guess Seth should have given you a phone number or email or whatever...or told us to call to confirm-- IF he knew the need for punctuality.

Of course, it is impossible to hold tastings at a small winery during harvest, and we therefore, understood. But, frankly, we didn't know much about Walter Scott or that the harvest was even ongoing.

This was not a matter of "etiquette"; we would have been happy to comply. But, it is also incumbent on a winery, I think, to make clear what it expects from visitors. And, other than a time and location, we were told nothing, and didn't even think it necessary to call when we were running late, due to some misinformation about such things in the Willamette. Maybe we just slipped through the cracks and you do communicate with other visitors.

It is a shame, as your operation was very intriguing to this Burgundy-lover. I hope someday to be able to taste one of your wines....

#56 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 4th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 2:36 pm
August 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am
Thanks for all your nice comments, invites and pm's....

I am hoping to spend a day in the Willamette Valley on Monday October 21. Will be staying in Portland with family for 3 days, so one day visiting and tasting is max. Really looking forward to this, a long time goal. (I've never been to CA wineries and am going to skip them for this). Will focus more on the specifics as time gets closer. Lots of great opportunities.

Wonder what I should bring along as wampum?
Stuart,

It was really lovely to meet you, your wife, and friends. It’s always a pleasure to spend a bit of time with someone as knowledgeable as you. While time got away from me, the opportunity meet you was a highlight.
Your generosity with wampum is also VERY appreciated. I hope that the Willamette Valley wines you took home are highlights for you in the coming years as well(and an indication that the terroirs in the Willamette Valley are worthy of the early hopes).
Marcus, you are a great ambassador for the Willamette Valley, and your wines a wonderful indication of the potential of the region for all of the varieties of grapes. I really look forward to see the evolution of the wines we bought. Thanks again.

p.s. The biggest problem we had that day was the number of single plots, with singular (and sometimes confusingly similar names). But, then we realized that the vineyards of Burgundy are organized the same way...with simple names that meant something to somebody at some time in the past. It sounds more memorable in French, but....

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#57 Post by Jim Anderson » November 4th, 2019, 4:01 pm

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]

😐😐😐
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mark Y » November 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Ken’s Artisan Pizza
terrible place.. people need to stay away!!

good god it's already 1.5-2 hour wait normally!! (kidding aside it's awesome)..
Y.e.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Mark Y » November 4th, 2019, 4:18 pm

November 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm
This was not a matter of "etiquette"; we would have been happy to comply. But, it is also incumbent on a winery, I think, to make clear what it expects from visitors. And, other than a time and location, we were told nothing, and didn't even think it necessary to call when we were running late, due to some misinformation about such things in the Willamette. Maybe we just slipped through the cracks and you do communicate with other visitors.
Wait.. wha?? No offense meant Stuart but the post sounds a bit entitled.. [wow.gif]

The winery flexes their schedule to get a party in during a super busy time of year, and it's incumbent ON THEM to tell the visitors to be ON TIME? what are we, 6 yr olds?? you get an appointment's time/location and what else do you need? We need to be TOLD to be on time? that's bizarre, seems common sense no? Keep the schedule lose, and be on time for appointments.. that's kinda common courtesy?

Curious when you are late in Burgundy, do you not call? When i visited we always called even if we are 15 mins late. not only burg, piedmont, bdx, napa, basically anywhere.. just seemed right (even tho it's long distance calling most of the time, always call unless the phone number just doesn't work).

November 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm
It is a shame, as your operation was very intriguing to this Burgundy-lover. I hope someday to be able to taste one of your wines....
Try the Chards.. some of the best in Oregon.
Y.e.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#60 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 4th, 2019, 6:35 pm

November 1st, 2019, 12:10 pm
Tasting with Marcus was as good as it gets as far as education and curiosity.

We finished with Bethel Heights...Their pinot noirs were very impressive, as were Marcus', and though it was out of my price comfort zone, I could not resist a particular one, the 2015 "Shallows", which I thought was like a Vosne Beaumonts...or even Cros P:....So, I think I paid as much as I ever had a for single bottle of wine. I plan to have it rest until 2025. For me, it was as good as any Oregon wine I've tasted.

The wines from the region have come a huge distance from the large tasting in NYC (with winemakers) I went to in 1985
Yes, a tasting with Marcus is "as good as it gets".

Price comfort zone? Have you priced any Vosne Beaumonts or Cros P in the past 10 years? Bethel Heights really does make some lovely Pinots. I almost always wish I'd bought more.

Sorry the Walter Scott visit didn't work out. Frankly, they're "killing it". I'm sure Ken and/or Erica would have appreciated your "wampum" and impressed you with their own offerings.

WV Pinots have indeed covered a huge distance since the 1980s...and only getting better.

RT

mmeyers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by mmeyers » November 4th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I have no stake here although I am a customer of all of the wineries mentioned. Wouldn't normally comment....probably shouldn't now either. But the response to Erica's post was suitably annoying to make it difficult to ignore. The initial post about the visit to Oregon had its own special tone, but the most recent was in a league of its own.

Perhaps I have the details wrong, but it seems to me that a winemaker from a small production winery in Oregon, someone who you didn't previously know, went out of his way to make a couple suggestions and connections for you and set up some appts. But somehow it was his responsibility to tell you to be on time for the visits and now he's called out for not providing any information to you? Were you expecting a detailed itinerary and written instructions? How is punctuality anything other than common courtesy? You spend the prior day tasting with him.....did the topic of the next day really not come up? Did you not bother to look at the Walter Scott web site even cursorily? Would have taken all of 2 minutes to review their request to visitors. Seems you found an address...might have also been good to have jotted down a phone number ahead of time.....or looked one up while at your previous location?.....or ask you prior host to look up a number if you happened to not have a smart phone? Even if we accept your premise that others were responsible, was it necessary to paint the interaction with the winery you were late to in the tone you did? What was the point? Why not just omit comment or make it more conciliatory.....since you were the one who was late? Was there something to be gained?

Apology for all the questions. Perhaps I misunderstood the details and am just a bit confused.
Mike

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#62 Post by Jim Anderson » November 4th, 2019, 8:34 pm

[popcorn.gif]

Wishing there was more but feeling like I’m at the Marvel movie wondering if there is another teaser trailer buried in the credits.

How much does a BH The Shallows cost?!?!??? Someone may need to alert a certain winery here in Oregon if the answer is...I don’t know, way more than I would think?

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Geoff F. » November 4th, 2019, 11:39 pm

...wampum? What do you bring as wampum?

Jim - according to Cellartracker, that bottle goes for around $85-90. Enough to give one pause but not enough to convince Domaine Serene to hike their prices to stay on top again.
F r a n z

#64 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 5th, 2019, 8:01 am

Sorry if my response seemed "entitled". Perhaps it was. Entitled to communication to understand the "etiquette" is indeed the issue. Everyone is "entitled" all around to know the rules/mores/"etiquette". We were clueless. Perhaps because third parties were involved; perhaps because we are. But, as a first time visitor to the region, we had no idea what to expect. At three places we visited the visits worked out very well. At one it didn't happen. We were not on time-- for sure. So, my only point is that communications are necessary all around; and, that "communications" is not posting something on a website (which I had looked at)....or thinking intuitive "etiquette" should rule. Not sure what we would have enquired about, as we were told by two people that punctuality for visits is not essential. That worked..until it didn't work. Wish we had known more.

This all reminds me of our first trip to Burgundy, on our honeymoon in 1983. My wife had lived in Paris for a few years, and I was depending on her to be the communicator, gps and translator. There was no gps then. We faltered and had huge blowout over it. It is so much easier to communicate in 2019 than 35 years ago...and, obviously, to find places. Communication serves everyone's purpose.

In all my years of visiting Burgundy (both before and after GPS and with and without my translator), only one person expressed annoyance for our tardiness: Guillaume d'Angerville. He had just taken over, in 2007, from his father and we were lost in Volnay, as usual. I remember it only because it was unique. It never seemed to me that anyone at artisanal wineries cared about the clock. In fact, when we did call....they often laughed at us for calling.

All this is to say that in a wine region, it is important for the visitor, as well as the person visiting, to have a specific idea of the "etiquette" and considerate behavior. That "entitlement" is universal. I hope others visiting the area learn from our faux pas....as it is certainly a wonderful area to visit and explore, with wines that are VERY impressive from all varieties (ok, maybe except viognier [stirthepothal.gif] .

[cheers.gif]

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#65 Post by Todd Hamina » November 5th, 2019, 8:10 am

People are late all the time. I wouldn't worry about it since a sale from someone who showed up late is still better than no sale at all.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#66 Post by c fu » November 5th, 2019, 8:38 am

November 5th, 2019, 8:01 am
Sorry if my response seemed "entitled". Perhaps it was. Entitled to communication to understand the "etiquette" is indeed the issue. Everyone is "entitled" all around to know the rules/mores/"etiquette". We were clueless. Perhaps because third parties were involved; perhaps because we are. But, as a first time visitor to the region, we had no idea what to expect. At three places we visited the visits worked out very well. At one it didn't happen. We were not on time-- for sure. So, my only point is that communications are necessary all around; and, that "communications" is not posting something on a website (which I had looked at)....or thinking intuitive "etiquette" should rule. Not sure what we would have enquired about, as we were told by two people that punctuality for visits is not essential. That worked..until it didn't work. Wish we had known more.

This all reminds me of our first trip to Burgundy, on our honeymoon in 1983. My wife had lived in Paris for a few years, and I was depending on her to be the communicator, gps and translator. There was no gps then. We faltered and had huge blowout over it. It is so much easier to communicate in 2019 than 35 years ago...and, obviously, to find places. Communication serves everyone's purpose.

In all my years of visiting Burgundy (both before and after GPS and with and without my translator), only one person expressed annoyance for our tardiness: Guillaume d'Angerville. He had just taken over, in 2007, from his father and we were lost in Volnay, as usual. I remember it only because it was unique. It never seemed to me that anyone at artisanal wineries cared about the clock. In fact, when we did call....they often laughed at us for calling.

All this is to say that in a wine region, it is important for the visitor, as well as the person visiting, to have a specific idea of the "etiquette" and considerate behavior. That "entitlement" is universal. I hope others visiting the area learn from our faux pas....as it is certainly a wonderful area to visit and explore, with wines that are VERY impressive from all varieties (ok, maybe except viognier [stirthepothal.gif] .

[cheers.gif]

Clearly didn’t look very hard

https://www.walterscottwine.com/contact

I like that you were 70 minutes late and keep giving yourself excuses. At no point do you apologize publicly to the winery for your excessive tardiness.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Mark Y » November 5th, 2019, 8:52 am

D9FF1680-7FDF-4E77-B7E8-4E0CBCC7BB02.png
Took me 15 seconds on Google Maps. Tells me the address, phone number, and even how long it will take to get there by driving from where I am.

Being on time is common sense. Not “regional etiquette”.
especially if a person is new to a place. Being on time has to be the assumed behavior not vice versa?

FWIW I’ve spent the day the exact same way. Visit with Marcus in the morning. Visit with Walter Scott after a bite of lunch. And then cristom. It’s not that hard to stay on schedule. Altho Marcus is super hospitable and will get you hammered before lunch if you aren’t careful ;).
Y.e.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#68 Post by Jim Anderson » November 5th, 2019, 9:01 am

c fu wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 8:38 am

[cheers.gif]

Clearly didn’t look very hard

https://www.walterscottwine.com/contact

I like that you were 70 minutes late and keep giving yourself excuses. At no point do you apologize publicly to the winery for your excessive tardiness.
Someone please turn out the lights. Nothing left to see here.

Martin Steinley

#69 Post by Martin Steinley » November 5th, 2019, 9:12 am

When I opened this thread, my thought was this is not going to end well, expecting something BeauneHeaded. Sure enough. The situation does not call for some spin regarding etiquette and communication; rather, it calls for a simple apology for failing to show common decency (everyone everywhere knows that being late, especially excessively late, demonstrates disrespect for the others involved). Also, it's bullshit that it's of no consequence being late for a visit to a Burgundy producer. I know several parties in good positions to arrange visits to highly-regarded domaines who refuse to do so any longer because inconsiderate people have arrived late or have not shown up for scheduled visits, after the producers have arranged their schedules to accommodate them.
ITB

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Mark Y » November 5th, 2019, 9:34 am

We were clueless.
About sums it up. [rofl.gif]
Y.e.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by dsGriswold » November 5th, 2019, 10:50 am

Hi Stuart, to see what you missed with Erica and Ken @ WS, Dan and Chas did a couple of podcasts of their Pinot and Chard on "Wine is Serious Business"http://wineisseriousbusiness.com/home/about/ a year or so back. They are a wonderful insight into the wines and personalities. I have recommended them to several who have shown interest. They are entertaining to watch as well as informative and a reason I buy wine from those who frequent these forums. Do visit the area again.
DennisG

#72 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

I clicked on the link, but it doesn't take me to a podcast. Is there a more specific link?

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Jason T » November 5th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Mark Y wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 8:52 am

FWIW I’ve spent the day the exact same way. Visit with Marcus in the morning. Visit with Walter Scott after a bite of lunch. And then cristom. It’s not that hard to stay on schedule. Altho Marcus is super hospitable and will get you hammered before lunch if you aren’t careful ;).
Weird. I’ve done same.
J@son Tr@ughber

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 6th, 2019, 11:13 am

Jason T wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Weird. I’ve done same.
Pro tip. Spit and listen.

RT

Daniel Hutchison

#75 Post by Daniel Hutchison » November 6th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Very well stated Erica!

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by dsGriswold » November 7th, 2019, 9:40 am

November 5th, 2019, 11:43 am
I clicked on the link, but it doesn't take me to a podcast. Is there a more specific link?
Episode 342 [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#77 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » November 7th, 2019, 10:21 am

Just catching up here. I'm pretty flexible as a wine producer, I know Walter Scott is as well. Is it news that being over an hour late to an appointment is bad form? Much less, is it news that October is harvest time in Oregon? Ok I'm done.
Vincent - ITB

#78 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 7th, 2019, 11:55 am

dsGriswold wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 9:40 am
November 5th, 2019, 11:43 am
Episode 342 [cheers.gif]

Thanks. Just watched the whole episode. My loss confirmed.

Pretty geeky stuff about the vineyards and their ownership history; not as much about the wines themselves.

Passion for sure.

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Bill Mauger » November 7th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 10:21 am
Just catching up here. I'm pretty flexible as a wine producer, I know Walter Scott is as well. Is it news that being over an hour late to an appointment is bad form? Much less, is it news that October is harvest time in Oregon? Ok I'm done.
I hope to avoid pitfalls and bad form on my upcoming trip to WV. I have booked seven appointments over three days and I am very excited for each visit. To schedule the desired visits was easily accomplished given the responsiveness of each party. One winery I was hoping to visit with could not accommodate us on our desired date and reached out hoping to do it the following day. We were unable to visit as we will be visiting other wineries in another AVA. Oh well, we will try next time. Knowing what is possible to schedule with the quality of the experience desired and the logistics of how far apart many of the wineries are from one another takes thoughtful consideration.

I do think it is worth mentioning that this is also a two way street. Four years ago we did a similar trip with two other couples and I organized the trip. We travelled from CO. We left our morning visits and went back to a lovely house we had rented in the Dundee Hills on a vineyard. We were very content and even discussed cancelling a visit we had scheduled in McMinnville. Well, I rallied the troops because I thought it would be bad form to blow off the appointment. When we arrived the winery was locked up and no one was there. We were blown off. I texted the winemaker and received a curt reply - “sometimes things just happen”.

Well talk about embarrassing and all it would have taken was a text to say “Hey Sorry I need to cancel”. I did call this person out on BD and he has offered to make it right. It still has left a bad taste in my mouth, however. I probably need to get over it as I am sure I am missing out on a persons wines that have “soul”.

I did eat at Nicks a couple years later when taking my daughter to visit colleges in the Pacific North West. One of his wines was on the list from the excellent 2010 vintage. I ordered it and was very impressed yet I still have never bought his wines.

This trip I did not want to schedule to much and the list of wineries that were the priorities got scheduled and I will miss the chance to taste his wines again. There are also numerous other producers with witch I have a desire to visit including many of the folks that so graciously participate on this board.

Oh well, I just wish Stuart and the winemaker could both just show some humility from the outset. To the winemaker’s credit he ultimately did.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 8th, 2019, 6:47 am

Bill,

Cameron has an effective way of dealing with these problems.

RT

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Bill Mauger » November 8th, 2019, 8:09 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 6:47 am
Bill,

Cameron has an effective way of dealing with these problems.

RT
Ha Richard,

Love the wines! As Marcus pointed out in an earlier thread this year (that also had some nastiness) two must try vineyards are Cos Electrique and Abbey Ridge. Funny thing though - my wife who has a better palate than me enjoys feeling a personal connection to the wine - brings back good memories. Hard, not impossible, to do with Cameron. But I understand why a person may make this decision and do not for a second fault them for doing so. Anyway, I didn’t reach out to them [snort.gif]

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#82 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » November 8th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Bill Mauger wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 10:21 am
I hope to avoid pitfalls and bad form on my upcoming trip to WV. I have booked seven appointments over three days and I am very excited for each visit. To schedule the desired visits was easily accomplished given the responsiveness of each party. One winery I was hoping to visit with could not accommodate us on our desired date and reached out hoping to do it the following day. We were unable to visit as we will be visiting other wineries in another AVA. Oh well, we will try next time. Knowing what is possible to schedule with the quality of the experience desired and the logistics of how far apart many of the wineries are from one another takes thoughtful consideration.

I do think it is worth mentioning that this is also a two way street. Four years ago we did a similar trip with two other couples and I organized the trip. We travelled from CO. We left our morning visits and went back to a lovely house we had rented in the Dundee Hills on a vineyard. We were very content and even discussed cancelling a visit we had scheduled in McMinnville. Well, I rallied the troops because I thought it would be bad form to blow off the appointment. When we arrived the winery was locked up and no one was there. We were blown off. I texted the winemaker and received a curt reply - “sometimes things just happen”.

Well talk about embarrassing and all it would have taken was a text to say “Hey Sorry I need to cancel”. I did call this person out on BD and he has offered to make it right. It still has left a bad taste in my mouth, however. I probably need to get over it as I am sure I am missing out on a persons wines that have “soul”.

I did eat at Nicks a couple years later when taking my daughter to visit colleges in the Pacific North West. One of his wines was on the list from the excellent 2010 vintage. I ordered it and was very impressed yet I still have never bought his wines.

This trip I did not want to schedule to much and the list of wineries that were the priorities got scheduled and I will miss the chance to taste his wines again. There are also numerous other producers with witch I have a desire to visit including many of the folks that so graciously participate on this board.

Oh well, I just wish Stuart and the winemaker could both just show some humility from the outset. To the winemaker’s credit he ultimately did.
There are no pitfalls or bad form. Just be on time or communicate, like with any appointment or deadline.

Of course it goes both ways.

Are you suggesting the producer was in the wrong? Stuart called her out after being invited to their residence and showing up super late. Tough crowd.
Vincent - ITB

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#83 Post by Todd Hamina » November 9th, 2019, 12:18 am

No, he's talking about me. Since Bill's appointment I forgot, I immediately stop and log it into my calendar on my phone.
-BiggioHamina

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Bill Mauger » November 9th, 2019, 10:24 am

Let me just say OR has become our favorite wine producing region. In large part this is due to the producers who so willingly participate and offer so much insight into the region on this board. I'm a longtime lurker and do not post much although I am an enthusiastic participant on BD's. This is in part due to my novice knowledge about wine making.

In planning our upcoming trip I had a list of 22 producers. I also had a priority of four. After successfully scheduling those four appointments I was able to secure three more where the logistics were sensible. I learned a lot after our first visit and subsequent quick hits through McMinnville visiting colleges and attending West Region diving competitions.
Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Are you suggesting the producer was in the wrong? Stuart called her out after being invited to their residence and showing up super late. Tough crowd.
Vincent you are one of the 22 - and I will add high on the list. I think our next visit will include more producers in your locale and hope to taste and meet you. I am not sure how if you read my post you thought I was calling out Erica and Ken in anyway. Quite the opposite - and even though Stuart did not have knowledge of the valley it is no excuse. Hats off to Marcus for trying to diffuse the situation gracefully. Walter Scott was one the four and I look forward to our visit and being on time! Thank you for your active and insightful participation on this forum.
Todd Hamina wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:18 am
No, he's talking about me. Since Bill's appointment I forgot, I immediately stop and log it into my calendar on my phone.
Todd, I really am over it - no way I was calling you out. I thought about seeing if you had time on the afternoon of 11/16. I did not reach out only because I think my wife will be over my obsession after running her ragged on Thursday and Friday. We are going down to Amity for a late morning visit on 11/16 and plan to have lunch down there but nothing scheduled after that. Perhaps we can meet but can we play it by ear a bit - and I understand if you are not available. I really do want get to know your wines - as I am sure they have soul. Also, I want your opinions on how the valley is changing as you alluded to in a prior post not in a positive light.

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Bill Mauger » November 9th, 2019, 10:48 am

Mark Y wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 8:52 am
Altho Marcus is super hospitable and will get you hammered before lunch if you aren’t careful ;).
I'm glad he is my last appointment of the day and I can walk to dinner and accomadations [wink.gif]

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#86 Post by Todd Hamina » November 9th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I'm in France currently, then Italy until the 21st. Next time!

And I'll put it in my phone!!!
-BiggioHamina

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Bill Mauger » November 9th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 3:04 pm
I'm in France currently, then Italy until the 21st. Next time!

And I'll put it in my phone!!!
Awesome - enjoy the travel. Will be a priority on the next trip!

Return to “Wine Talk”