Fires in Sonoma...again - Geyserville

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Fires in Sonoma...again - Geyserville

#151 Post by Siun o'Connell » October 27th, 2019, 10:04 am

Friend was evacuated twice overnight ... ended up with dogs, chickens and relatives in a La Quinta in Berkeley ... sounds horrible. Brian, Paul and all the WB's ... hoping for best possible news for you all.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Ed Steinway » October 27th, 2019, 10:17 am

New fire near the Carquinez Bridge, according to KTVU. Best of luck to everyone in the Bay Area!

Ed

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by Brian Tuite » October 27th, 2019, 10:18 am

101 shut down again btw Arata and Dry Creek Rd due to visibility.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by David Glasser » October 27th, 2019, 10:19 am

Wishing safety and preservation of property for all of our WBs. Hard to imagine what it’s like based on some of the images and videos, just horrible.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by Brian Tuite » October 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

Ed Steinway wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 10:17 am
New fire near the Carquinez Bridge, according to KTVU. Best of luck to everyone in the Bay Area!

Ed
Good thing about that fire is that is is blowing South East to the Bay where it will autoextinguish. California Maritime Academy was threatened but not damaged. New fire cropped up on the otger sude of the Carquinez Straight near the Cummings Skyway exit.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by Casey Hartlip » October 27th, 2019, 10:23 am

I texted Nate Weis as I saw Soda Rock winery burn. That's across the street from their Alexander Valley operation. He said so far so good.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#157 Post by larry schaffer » October 27th, 2019, 11:27 am

Casey Hartlip wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 10:23 am
I texted Nate Weis as I saw Soda Rock winery burn. That's across the street from their Alexander Valley operation. He said so far so good.
I saw on Facebook that they lost a few sheds but nothing else. Let's hope it stays that way . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Good friends lost their house in the last bad fire... and got evacuated again at 05:30 this AM. I don’t know how much god is listening, but we’re praying :/
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by Ed Steinway » October 27th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Looks like the fire has spread to Windsor. Thoughts and prayers to everyone up there.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Ed Steinway » October 27th, 2019, 12:56 pm

NBC Bay Area news has live coverage in Windsor, near Arata Lane. Trees caught fire in that area and the Fire Department put it out very quickly. No damage to homes as of now.

Marc Hauser

#161 Post by Marc Hauser » October 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Evac advisory for Calistoga just issued.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Nevin Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Nevin Miller » October 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Great coverage and accurate information is on Twitter. The media is so far behind this story.

Live, front lines, photos and video’s. Additionally thermal maps, wind speed indicators, wind predictions, etc.

#Kincadefire for news
#564Firephoto for live streaming video on the front lines

You can also listen to the fire dept scanners. Links on the Kincadefire feed.
Last edited by Nevin Miller on October 27th, 2019, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nevin Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by Nevin Miller » October 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Marc Hauser wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Evac advisory for Calistoga just issued.
Heard this is untrue from multiple sources. Would be sad to be wrong, however.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by R. Frankel » October 27th, 2019, 2:54 pm

There is an Evac Advisory for Calistoga. This is a great official resource for Calistoga updates:

https://local.nixle.com/city/ca/calistoga/

BTW an Advisory is not an order to evacuate. It's a warning to prepare for possible evacuation. Seems like Calistoga is without power as well.
Rich Frankel

dougwilder

#165 Post by dougwilder » October 27th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Tom DeBiase wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 11:53 am
I am perplexed that the state doesn't clear brush in these areas. Its sad to see these fires devastate every year.
Jeff, the area where this “Kincaid” fire started is DESOLATE. Even a experienced hiker would have trouble hiking to the area where this fire started no less have brush cleared.
The problem is with 60 MPH winds the fire goes from desolate to populated pretty damn quick.

Tom
So they can't allow cows or sheep to graze the hillsides to help cut down on the brush? There has to be a better way to manage these desolate areas so they can't erupt into fireballs.
California has millions of acres of terrain like this. Where do you suggest a good place to start and what about the ecology impact of what is cleared? 90% of this area has no roads, so where do you pack out thousands of tons of brush that grows back after a couple rain seasons. Luckily where the fire stopped a mile from my house in 2017 is still pretty bare so even though we evacuated (again) the fire will need to find a better path.
itb

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Jason T » October 27th, 2019, 3:18 pm

All of this is so sad and I feel for everyone involved. The Soda Rock news is in particular sad because that was the very first winery we ever joined - it was the third winery we visited that day on my very first trip to Sonoma in 2012. I think we were members only for a couple of years but of course the memories live on.

Sad to think that now it’s only the memories that will live on. Good luck to all of you in that area.
J@son Tr@ughber

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by brigcampbell » October 27th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Kind of quiet... A little nervous.

Updates?

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by Brian Tuite » October 27th, 2019, 7:20 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Kind of quiet... A little nervous.

Updates?
No news is good news. They hit the southwestern edge of the fire hard all day yesterday and today and for the most part the fire did not advance closer to the populated areas. Considering how hard the wind was blowing it’s a freaking miracle.

Tomorrow is another day though.
94EBC34A-F3E4-48FA-A396-718338693720.jpeg
Firefighters from Riverside, Glendale etc... thank you for your service!
0030BF91-BC67-4D50-A086-89486B26FB53.jpeg

2019 WOTY...

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#169 Post by JonathanG » October 27th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Mandatory evacuation goes as far as Sebastopol, which is crazy to think about.

And for Jeff M, when I moved here I was surprised that there was so much dead grass everywhere in the summer. Even in the bay area, all around Stanford off I-280, on the drive up to Tahoe, etc. Mother Nature dealt this area a hard hand, and without taxing the crap out of everyone even moreso than they are, there is no good easy answer.

I am mid-peninsula, and I am now smelling smoke big time. I really hope they contain the Kincaid fire soon,
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Jeremy C » October 27th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Good luck to you all who are directly impacted by this. I do hope that it gets contained soon.
Cuth.bert.son

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Brian Tuite » October 27th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Jeremy C wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Good luck to you all who are directly impacted by this. I do hope that it gets contained soon.
Containment isn’t expected for 2 weeks.

2019 WOTY...

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Jeremy C » October 27th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Jeremy C wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Containment isn’t expected for 2 weeks.
I’m sorry to learn that. I do sincerely hope that the destruction is on the low end of the potential.
Cuth.bert.son

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by Brian Tuite » October 27th, 2019, 8:52 pm

A good Twitter follow is Kent Porter a photographer for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kentphotos

2019 WOTY...

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#174 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » October 27th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Thanks to everyone for sharing great info and your well wishes - to all my fellow people in Sonoma County I wish you the best. We are in Santa Rosa just south of downtown, about half a mile from the mandatory evac zone, a few minutes from the county fairgrounds, which is currently being used as an evacuation center, not only for people but also for large animals.

Traffic on the 101 and the 12 has been pretty good most of today, the local gas stations still have fuel, and we even have power at home. Friends evacuating south mostly made it to San Francisco within a couple of hours. Those of us just outside the evac zone have all had full couches but even here our presence feels tenuous - we are packed up and ready to go at a moment's notice. The thing would have to burn through city hall and a lot of vegetation-lite/asphalt-heavy town before it got to our apartment but we're not taking anything for granted. Some of the winds this morning were shocking.

I went in to the winery yesterday morning but we're closed up at least for the next couple days so I'll probably walk over to the fairgrounds tomorrow morning and see if I can be helpful in any way.

Stay safe everyone, and reach out if you need help.
ITB...or at least on my way...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Brian Tuite » October 28th, 2019, 7:26 am

Spent the morning driving back and forth between Forestville and Santa Rosa picking up an empty gas can, refueling the generator and then refilling the can and bringing it back to the house. Perfect driving conditions. Nobody on the roads. Power in Larkfield so I didn’t have to go far for fuel. Food in freezer is still frozen wine still cold. One plant casualty from the winds, otherwise just smoky.
Supposed to be another wind event Wednesday. Will probably sleep in my own bed the next couple nights.
Now to take a cold shower. Brrr!!!!

2019 WOTY...

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by brigcampbell » October 28th, 2019, 7:53 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 7:26 am
Spent the morning driving back and forth between Forestville and Santa Rosa picking up an empty gas can, refueling the generator and then refilling the can and bringing it back to the house. Perfect driving conditions. Nobody on the roads. Power in Larkfield so I didn’t have to go far for fuel. Food in freezer is still frozen wine still cold. One plant casualty from the winds, otherwise just smoky.
Supposed to be another wind event Wednesday. Will probably sleep in my own bed the next couple nights.
that's positive news. Let Dava know we're thinking of everyone.

The poor cal fire incident website is even having a bad day, it's down...

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Mike Grammer » October 28th, 2019, 8:03 am

As in 2017 event, so appreciate you taking time to update us so rigourously Brian, and you as well Tom and others. Wishing and praying for all our WB friends to be safe and sound during all this.

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by Alan Rath » October 28th, 2019, 9:33 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Brian, I'm curious if you feel obligated, or safer, having evacuated? In your situation, unless I was being smoked out badly, I probably would have stayed, at least until I saw things getting a lot worse than they are moving in your direction.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by Brian Tuite » October 28th, 2019, 9:55 am

Alan Rath wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 9:33 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
Brian, I'm curious if you feel obligated, or safer, having evacuated? In your situation, unless I was being smoked out badly, I probably would have stayed, at least until I saw things getting a lot worse than they are moving in your direction.
Being a good citizen. I originally told Dava I would stay until
I saw flames and she wouldn’t have any of that. She said the way I sleep I’d sleep right through the fire and die. She has a point.

The idea behind it all was they don’t want to spend time saving lives when they could be fighting fires. During the Tubbs Fire they couldn’t fight the fire because protecting the public comes first. If there is one thing we learned from 2017 it’s that resources should be spent protecting property and people should heed warnings and stay the fu¢k out of the way.

There was no power and my generator was only for essentials. Got to spend some quality time with the grandkids. No regrets, other than picking the wrong bottle of wine to take with me.

2019 WOTY...

Jeff_M.

#180 Post by Jeff_M. » October 28th, 2019, 9:57 am

dougwilder wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 3:09 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Tom DeBiase wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Jeff, the area where this “Kincaid” fire started is DESOLATE. Even a experienced hiker would have trouble hiking to the area where this fire started no less have brush cleared.
The problem is with 60 MPH winds the fire goes from desolate to populated pretty damn quick.

Tom
So they can't allow cows or sheep to graze the hillsides to help cut down on the brush? There has to be a better way to manage these desolate areas so they can't erupt into fireballs.
California has millions of acres of terrain like this. Where do you suggest a good place to start and what about the ecology impact of what is cleared? 90% of this area has no roads, so where do you pack out thousands of tons of brush that grows back after a couple rain seasons. Luckily where the fire stopped a mile from my house in 2017 is still pretty bare so even though we evacuated (again) the fire will need to find a better path.
Doug, living in SoCal I see much of the same as you guys up north. I think down here there is much more construction of new housing tracts right up into indefensible hillsides from these types of fires. We've been fortunate down here that there haven't been more structure loss in our fires compared to what NorCal has had. I wish there was a magic answer as to how to clear this brush. We live in a beautiful state that loves to tax us dearly for that and yet we such strict control on environmental.

Here are some of my idea's:

More grazing could be an answer but as others stated, these are plants that may not get eaten or aren't accessible easily. Controlled burns earlier in the season to create a buffer between the wilderness that is largely inaccessible and homes would probably be the best answer. We have road side crews who clean up freeways for community service sentences, why not add raking out some of these hillsides that are accessible by foot?

There isn't a 100% solid answer that fixes this brush issue. Any of us living in this state have seen the devastation created by fire. It just saddens me that the state isn't more proactive v being reactive to fires.
Jeff M 0 l l

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by PeterH » October 28th, 2019, 10:06 am

The forest service does controlled burns in eastern Washington, but there are numerous limitations to the effectiveness.
The first is the sheer number of square miles of fuel laden forest and brush lands.
Next it the severe under-funding of the national and state forest services, coupled with the cost of recent fires eating up the entire budget within months of intense activity.
The third is public dislike of the smoke created. Even if they have lived through months of hazardous air quality during forest fire season, they don't perceive the temporary smoke created by the burns to be directly connected to less smoke during fire season. People are just like that.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Brian Tuite » October 28th, 2019, 10:07 am

Yesterday a fire broke out along Interstate 80 in Vallejo it burned right to the shores of San Pablo Bay at the Carquinez Bridge.

3 miles away on the other side of the bridge a fire broke out along the Cummings Skyway from
embers of the Sky Fire in Vallejo.

I don’t care how many goats you put out there. Goats don’t eat trees and goats don’t fly. Burning embers can fly for miles before landing and starting spot fires that create new embers that blow miles away to start more spot fires.

Sometimes you just have to take your hat off to Mother Nature and understand that you cannot prevent this type of thing you can only prepare for it. They prepared well for the Kincade Fire and have done a great job minimizing damage.

2019 WOTY...

Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Charles Kersten » October 28th, 2019, 10:09 am

Wow they have lots of air attack building defensive control line with retardant drops today - 8 tankers working the mountains with ground crews and dozers following up.
East of Windsor helicopters are hitting it hard.
Amazing the coordination of all agencies involved.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by Alan Rath » October 28th, 2019, 11:50 am

Charles Kersten wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:09 am
Wow they have lots of air attack building defensive control line with retardant drops today - 8 tankers working the mountains with ground crews and dozers following up.
Charles, where are you seeing this? I've been watching this site, which right now shows one VLAT on scene. The most I've seen today was 2, and much of the time they have not been shown flying.

https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview ... -122.55/10

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by brigcampbell » October 28th, 2019, 11:53 am

Charles Kersten wrote:
Yeah, it's very well coordinated. The western states put a lot of effort into the join response effort. I know Oregon firefighters were dispatched to Norcal this weekend and Socal guys are always the first call.

Kind of like the east coast when there's a hurricane, it always amazes me the line of trucks full of workers ready to restore the power from states far and wide.

Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Charles Kersten » October 28th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Alan
I have been listening to the radio traffic on the fire. They requested and got 4 "regular" tankers and 4 very large tankers (vlat)
The global was in a couple times, a dc10 or two and a c130 along with the smaller tankers. They are cycling through to avoid too much air traffic but earlier they were lined up pretty good. Numerous rotor dropping water along with two blackhawks.
I also noticed they did not all show on that radar sight even though they were over the fire dropping. Not really sure why.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/20854

Brian Girard

#187 Post by Brian Girard » October 28th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Just watched the two DC-10s and C-130 take off near my house in Sacramento. Last time I saw this many flying was the big fire in Redding a few years back. It's encouraging every time I see one in the air.

Ron Erickson

#188 Post by Ron Erickson » October 28th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 11:50 am
Charles Kersten wrote:
Charles, where are you seeing this? I've been watching this site, which right now shows one VLAT on scene. The most I've seen today was 2, and much of the time they have not been shown flying.

https://www.flightradar24.com/multiview ... -122.55/10
There seems to be 3 large tankers(heavy designation so probably dc-10's) right now working in a cycle out of an airport NE of Sacramento. Not sure of their refilling ground time.

Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by Charles Kersten » October 28th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Wild listening to radio and hearing set up this am when they got started. Planning where to enter canyons and where to pull up and out. Crazy
Sounds like they are having visibility problems with smoke now.

Two dc10's on now and gst944 the supertanker inbound along with an MD-87

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by Jay Miller » October 28th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Good luck and best wishes to everyone in the area. Stay safe!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by Alan Rath » October 28th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Some good news for the western Sonoma county folks:

"2:13 p.m. Cal Fire downgrades some evacuation orders to warnings: Cal Fire officials said evacuation orders for all areas affected by the Kincade Fire west of East Side Road throughout the Russian River Valley to Bodega Bay had been reduced to warnings. Evacuation orders for areas south of Occidental Road had also been reduced to warnings. The following areas are now allowed to repopulate: Bodega, Bodega Bay, Carmet, Muniz Ranch, Sebastopol, Occidental, Freestone, Camp Meeker, Forestville, Rio Nido, Hacienda, Monte Rio, Cazadero, Guerneville and Valley Ford."

Ron Erickson

#192 Post by Ron Erickson » October 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Sounds like two wineries have lost the facilities (Soda Rock and Fieldstone), but has there been any word on vineyards?
What a mess.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Curious...

#193 Post by TomHill » October 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Kinda curious..any reports on fire damage to that Indian casino up there on the mountain?
Tom

R Roberts

#194 Post by R Roberts » October 28th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Not to downplay the losses or grief at all, but I'm both impressed and relieved with the relatively low amount of damage reported so far. Given the conditions, I was expecting far worse by now. I know this is no where near over, but I have tons of respect for the crews putting themselves out there. They are doing an amazing job.
R.ama

Roy Piper

Re: Curious...

#195 Post by Roy Piper » October 28th, 2019, 6:49 pm

TomHill wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Kinda curious..any reports on fire damage to that Indian casino up there on the mountain?
Tom
As far as I hear, none. Literally burned their landscaping the first day but no buildings.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Brian Tuite » October 28th, 2019, 7:00 pm

It’s nice to be home on my easy chair with the hum of the generator in the background. Enough power for all the refrigeration. I shut off the cellar as the temp outside is 62° and dropping and diverted that power to my router so we can communicate and keep up on the latest news. Dava is using up the last of the hot water so it will be sponge bath in the morning. Oh boy. Still nice to be home.

2019 WOTY...

David Baum

#197 Post by David Baum » October 28th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Great to hear and hope it only gets better

Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#198 Post by Charles Kersten » October 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm

St Helena Camera 28 750.JPG
Mt St Helena camera north
Fire marching east in the mountains. Lots of hand crews up there working this tonight along with dozers. Hopefully it doesnt jump too many spots over the defensive lines from tanker drops today. Crossed a couple places already from embers blowing ahead of the fire that they are working.

Markus S

#199 Post by Markus S » October 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:07 am
I don’t care how many goats you put out there. Goats don’t eat trees and goats don’t fly. Burning embers can fly for miles before landing and starting spot fires that create new embers that blow miles away to start more spot fires.

Sometimes you just have to take your hat off to Mother Nature and understand that you cannot prevent this type of thing you can only prepare for it. They prepared well for the Kincade Fire and have done a great job minimizing damage.
I feel for you guys living daily with the threat of fire, but how did the native indigenous population deal with it, as fire is endemic to this part of the country? I'm pretty sure they didn't have a population of 40 million to deal with.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#200 Post by Glen Gold » October 29th, 2019, 10:38 am

Markus S wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 10:30 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 10:07 am

I feel for you guys living daily with the threat of fire, but how did the native indigenous population deal with it, as fire is endemic to this part of the country? I'm pretty sure they didn't have a population of 40 million to deal with.
They also didn't have PG&E.

Return to “Wine Talk”