What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
User avatar
John Draper
Posts: 211
Joined: March 4th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16251 Post by John Draper » September 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Brilliant collaboration between Cerebral and Modern Times. Triple with gewurtz juice?!?! Hopped with citra, nelson sauvin, and Idaho 7.
Mango and papaya for days, no hint of the 11.2%
Straight up quaffable
Attachments
0229B264-111D-4359-B5DD-FCCE5F45E619.jpeg
liberstein

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16252 Post by BRhoades » September 12th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Image

RiiP Beer Co. Bob In The Fog DIPA. 9.4% ABV. Hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops. This is the NE style take on a long time RiiP west coast favorite Raider Bob. The Mosaic is evident in the expressive aromatics, there's a dank floral juiciness to the nose along with really ripe tropical fruits. Sweet orange citrus dominates the flavor profile initially before the mid palate transitions to sweet berry, melons, peach and apricot.The beer finishes long and dry with a pop of bitter citrus pith at the very end. Available at the brewery only for pours and fills.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16253 Post by J. Rock » September 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm

ERPark wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:21 am
Just reupped my Ambassadors of Sour membership for 2020 with The Rare Barrel.
I just joined for the first time and am very excited. Rare Barrel might be my favorite producer of beer, but I have some trouble finding their beer in LA and have never had their AoS releases.
J o r d a n

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16254 Post by J. Rock » September 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 8:13 pm
2 from Modern Times:
Blanc on Blanc on Blanc
Wave Sweeper

Wave Sweeper is 100% Nelson and I've been waiting for what feels like for-ev-er for this to come on tap. And it is DE-LISH!!!
Wow, I didn't realize MT brews a 100% Nelson beer. Is Wave Sweeper widely available in LA (e.g., Total Wine, BevMo, etc.) or did you need to go to the brewery or a specific shop?
J o r d a n

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16255 Post by BRhoades » September 18th, 2019, 5:48 pm

J. Rock wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 8:13 pm
2 from Modern Times:
Blanc on Blanc on Blanc
Wave Sweeper

Wave Sweeper is 100% Nelson and I've been waiting for what feels like for-ev-er for this to come on tap. And it is DE-LISH!!!
Wow, I didn't realize MT brews a 100% Nelson beer. Is Wave Sweeper widely available in LA (e.g., Total Wine, BevMo, etc.) or did you need to go to the brewery or a specific shop?
Wave Sweeper is a special release that was brewed by the MT LA team and is available only at the DTLA location. You can grab growlers and crowlers, if you love Nelson Sauvin like I do I highly recommend it, it's an amazing beer.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

jbray23
Posts: 2706
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16256 Post by jbray23 » September 18th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm
Surprised to see Surly has made its way to WA state distribution.

Enjoying a Surly Todd the Axe Man on tap at the moment, with several 4 packs of that and Furious to take with me. Overpriced relative to the competition, but Axe Man isn't bad beer.

Quick update: bar guy said this was a “one time thing” and that there was no plans to carry Surly in the future. Seemed a little strange.
Cigar city as well... but that’s what happens when you sell....
Jason, back itb

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16257 Post by Scott Tallman » September 19th, 2019, 1:34 am

CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16258 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 19th, 2019, 6:25 am

What a ghastly party! Vegan food and lambic. *shudder*

Tried to get into a Modern Times Ghost Mountain last night, but just wasn't happening. Doesn't have the over-the-top juice bomb profile of some of their other limited releases, but I kept getting a flat flavor from the malt that just didn't excite me. Hoping this is a one-off or just some bad luck with the cans from Total Wine (believe the canned date was ~4 weeks ago, but would have to look), as I generally really enjoy MT beers.

UPDATE: MT Ghost Mountain continued to underwhelm and I just poured the 2/3 of a can out, rather than drink the calories. Canning date was 8/23/2019, so less than a month. Here's hoping it was a bad 4 pack or worse, a bad release, because if MT goes to crap like Fremont did, I'm going to pretty irritated.
Last edited by Andrew Kotowski on September 19th, 2019, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16259 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Drinking a 2019 Rueben's Crikey Fresh Hop and it's fantastic. I've always enjoyed the Rueben's line-up, but I've never been blown away by one of their beers. Still not THERE, but this is pretty damn good and is a massive improvement over last year's release.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6077
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16260 Post by Paul Miller » September 19th, 2019, 3:36 pm

IMG_3009.JPG

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16261 Post by Scott Tallman » September 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Drinking a 2019 Rueben's Crikey Fresh Hop and it's fantastic. I've always enjoyed the Rueben's line-up, but I've never been blown away by one of their beers. Still not THERE, but this is pretty damn good and is a massive improvement over last year's release.
I’ve always found Ruben’s beers - across the lineup- very underwhelming despite trying them many, many times.

I love fresh hop season, but will stick with the tried and trues - Holy Mountain, Stoup, Fremont, and a few of the Oregon breweries that make their way up here. Thus far have enjoyed HM Cone & Cone, Fremont Summer Ale w/ fresh Amarillo hops, and Fremont Field to Ferment Citra & Amarillo. Did not enjoy the Fremont Field to Ferment Centennial & Simcoe.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16262 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 19th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Drinking a 2019 Rueben's Crikey Fresh Hop and it's fantastic. I've always enjoyed the Rueben's line-up, but I've never been blown away by one of their beers. Still not THERE, but this is pretty damn good and is a massive improvement over last year's release.
I’ve always found Ruben’s beers - across the lineup- very underwhelming despite trying them many, many times.

I love fresh hop season, but will stick with the tried and trues - Holy Mountain, Stoup, Fremont, and a few of the Oregon breweries that make their way up here. Thus far have enjoyed HM Cone & Cone, Fremont Summer Ale w/ fresh Amarillo hops, and Fremont Field to Ferment Citra & Amarillo. Did not enjoy the Fremont Field to Ferment Centennial & Simcoe.
I LOVE this time of year. Am going to the gym three times a week now, so hoping to offset all of this fresh hop goodness. Try the Crikey Fresh Hop and tell me what you think! Just hit me as a classic Pac NW IPA style with the up-front pine, balance malt and a decently bitter finish, but not over-the-top like some of the So Cal stuff.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16263 Post by Scott Tallman » September 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Drinking a 2019 Rueben's Crikey Fresh Hop and it's fantastic. I've always enjoyed the Rueben's line-up, but I've never been blown away by one of their beers. Still not THERE, but this is pretty damn good and is a massive improvement over last year's release.
I’ve always found Ruben’s beers - across the lineup- very underwhelming despite trying them many, many times.

I love fresh hop season, but will stick with the tried and trues - Holy Mountain, Stoup, Fremont, and a few of the Oregon breweries that make their way up here. Thus far have enjoyed HM Cone & Cone, Fremont Summer Ale w/ fresh Amarillo hops, and Fremont Field to Ferment Citra & Amarillo. Did not enjoy the Fremont Field to Ferment Centennial & Simcoe.
I LOVE this time of year. Am going to the gym three times a week now, so hoping to offset all of this fresh hop goodness. Try the Crikey Fresh Hop and tell me what you think! Just hit me as a classic Pac NW IPA style with the up-front pine, balance malt and a decently bitter finish, but not over-the-top like some of the So Cal stuff.
I’m done wasting my $ on Ruben’s, but will gladly tell you my thoughts on the new HM Strata Fresh Hop IPA tomorrow and Fremont’s Cowiche Canyon when released next week. [snort.gif]
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
William Gladstone
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 499
Joined: June 12th, 2013, 2:34 am
Location: new york, honolulu, hong kong

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16264 Post by William Gladstone » September 19th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Just returned from 3 weeks of traveling England, my Girl Friend is more beer drinker than wine so she would try whatever beer sounded interesting, no matter if it was a basic Pub or fine dining and OMG, was I taken aback by the quality and delicious flavors.
I am not knowledgeable about beer. Guiness draft is a treat when I travel England or Ireland, but this other stuff, an Indian restaurant with Mango flavor! So many fruit combinations and exotic flavors, I'm certain you all know about this, but for me it was a real eye opener.
It is not like the Raspberry or Cherry or Strawberry or Chocolate flavored beer we buy at WHOLEFOODS... No, this is something quite different. And I love that Swedish (I think) brand of Cider with fruit flavors, lower alcohol which suits me fine..

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 6889
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16265 Post by Dennis Atick » September 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Question for Anyone (Bud)- How much do most Monkish cans cost at the brewery? Can't seem to find that info online.
Thanks.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18201
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16266 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 20th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 6:25 am
What a ghastly party! Vegan food and lambic. *shudder*

Tried to get into a Modern Times Ghost Mountain last night, but just wasn't happening. Doesn't have the over-the-top juice bomb profile of some of their other limited releases, but I kept getting a flat flavor from the malt that just didn't excite me. Hoping this is a one-off or just some bad luck with the cans from Total Wine (believe the canned date was ~4 weeks ago, but would have to look), as I generally really enjoy MT beers.

UPDATE: MT Ghost Mountain continued to underwhelm and I just poured the 2/3 of a can out, rather than drink the calories. Canning date was 8/23/2019, so less than a month. Here's hoping it was a bad 4 pack or worse, a bad release, because if MT goes to crap like Fremont did, I'm going to pretty irritated.
It wasn't a bad four pack, Andrew; that's just how that beer is. I don't dislike it as much as you do, but I'll say this: I bought one 4 pack, and continue to pass it over as it continues to be available in my market.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18201
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16267 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 20th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Beachwood - "Hopsonata" IPA
Tasted, and looked, much like the Pale Ale that Richard posted about in his Pale Ale? thread. This Hopsonata IPA is awfully thin on the palate. It does have some nice orange citrus notes on the Nose, but it falls flat on the palate. Will definitely not be buying again.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1554
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16268 Post by ClarkstonMark » September 20th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Question for Anyone (Bud)- How much do most Monkish cans cost at the brewery? Can't seem to find that info online.
Thanks.
$5-6 per can generally.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6208
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16269 Post by Mel Hill » September 20th, 2019, 4:09 pm

This could be interesting
74F80511-D67C-4F8F-8D23-7ADF7D34DB81.jpeg
Picked the 4pk up without tasting it

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16270 Post by Scott Tallman » September 20th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Holy Mountain Coffee/Coconut/Vanilla Midnight Still Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout - what can I say, I really like a balanced coconut BBA Stout and this was outstanding. Bottles sold out fast, but really enjoyed my two pours of this

Holy Mountain Wood Fired & Candied Maple Pecan Midnight Still Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout - to sweet and candied for my tastes
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 6889
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16271 Post by Dennis Atick » September 20th, 2019, 5:15 pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 2:24 pm
Dennis Atick wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Question for Anyone (Bud)- How much do most Monkish cans cost at the brewery? Can't seem to find that info online.
Thanks.
$5-6 per can generally.
Thanks, Mark.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16272 Post by BRhoades » September 20th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Question for Anyone (Bud)- How much do most Monkish cans cost at the brewery? Can't seem to find that info online.
Thanks.
Dennis, most are 20-24 per four pack depending on DDH'ing ABV etc.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 6889
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16273 Post by Dennis Atick » September 21st, 2019, 4:17 am

BRhoades wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Dennis Atick wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Question for Anyone (Bud)- How much do most Monkish cans cost at the brewery? Can't seem to find that info online.
Thanks.
Dennis, most are 20-24 per four pack depending on DDH'ing ABV etc.

Cheers,

Bud
Thanks, Bud [cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

GMcCarthy
Posts: 304
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16274 Post by GMcCarthy » September 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 1:34 am
How did you and your friends like the Suarez beers?
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16275 Post by Scott Tallman » September 22nd, 2019, 1:14 pm

GMcCarthy wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 1:34 am
How did you and your friends like the Suarez beers?
A lot, which is amusing for the crew I drank with who typically chase/trade/drink lamb is, sours, BBA stouts, and hazy IPAs, but they were all clamoring to drink the Suarez Pils.

The Hecto Pale Ale was well balanced and delicious. The pilsner was spot on, and definitely one of the top 5 domestic pilsners I’ve tried.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16276 Post by Robert M yers » September 23rd, 2019, 11:02 pm

Not yet drinking but luckily ran across a stash of Tilquin Mure, Gris, and Pinot today. Nice haul

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4081
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16277 Post by Rick Allen » September 25th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Just got back from drinking beer with a number of Czech brewers who were out here for hop selection at one of the local hop farms/wholesalers. Lisa was bonding with the woman who brews for Pilsner Urquell, and I was talking to a number of brewers from other places. They really liked the three beers we brought. In particular, the woman from Pilsner Urquell really liked the Pils. We took twelve cans and the eight of us polished those off in short order. We also tried a couple lagers from Highland Park (?) that didn't go over quite as well, and two beers from Pivovar Clock - a 4% alcohol pale lager that was excellent for a beer of that ABV and a whiskey barrel-aged dark beer that was around 8% alcohol that was tasty - very thick and rich, with chocolate and sherry notes.

Lisa was headed up to have dinner in PDX with the group at Wayfinder. Hopefully we'll end up doing a collaboration with some of these brewers when they come out for hop selection next year. If nothing else, we have people to visit when we go to Czechia.

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16278 Post by Scott Tallman » September 25th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Just got back from drinking beer with a number of Czech brewers who were out here for hop selection at one of the local hop farms/wholesalers. Lisa was bonding with the woman who brews for Pilsner Urquell, and I was talking to a number of brewers from other places. They really liked the three beers we brought. In particular, the woman from Pilsner Urquell really liked the Pils. We took twelve cans and the eight of us polished those off in short order. We also tried a couple lagers from Highland Park (?) that didn't go over quite as well, and two beers from Pivovar Clock - a 4% alcohol pale lager that was excellent for a beer of that ABV and a whiskey barrel-aged dark beer that was around 8% alcohol that was tasty - very thick and rich, with chocolate and sherry notes.

Lisa was headed up to have dinner in PDX with the group at Wayfinder. Hopefully we'll end up doing a collaboration with some of these brewers when they come out for hop selection next year. If nothing else, we have people to visit when we go to Czechia.
Very cool! Even cooler if any collab is sent up here!

Been chasing fresh hop beers, but have all of your recent releases, a few Wayfinder, and will grab a few more lagers to replicate Oktoberfest PNW style!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4081
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16279 Post by Rick Allen » September 25th, 2019, 5:29 pm

We have another truck load headed your way Friday...

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16280 Post by Scott Tallman » September 26th, 2019, 9:15 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 5:29 pm
We have another truck load headed your way Friday...
Good to know, and I’ll be in McM M-W next week champagne.gif
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Seattle

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16281 Post by Adam Noble » September 27th, 2019, 5:24 pm

A nice malty Heater Allen Bobtoberfest. I always enjoy this one. Might be at a fresh hop fest in Portland tomorrow.

GMcCarthy
Posts: 304
Joined: November 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16282 Post by GMcCarthy » September 28th, 2019, 5:28 am

Scott Tallman wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 1:14 pm
GMcCarthy wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 1:34 am
How did you and your friends like the Suarez beers?
A lot, which is amusing for the crew I drank with who typically chase/trade/drink lamb is, sours, BBA stouts, and hazy IPAs, but they were all clamoring to drink the Suarez Pils.

The Hecto Pale Ale was well balanced and delicious. The pilsner was spot on, and definitely one of the top 5 domestic pilsners I’ve tried.
I ask as it's my favorite brewery in NY, as well as many of my friends. We all sort of mule for each other every few weeks as it's 2.5 hours north of Brooklyn. The pilsners are my favorites, but just about everything else has been further dialed in over the past year.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16283 Post by Scott Tallman » September 28th, 2019, 6:58 am

GMcCarthy wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 5:28 am
Scott Tallman wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 1:14 pm
GMcCarthy wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 12:30 pm


How did you and your friends like the Suarez beers?
A lot, which is amusing for the crew I drank with who typically chase/trade/drink lamb is, sours, BBA stouts, and hazy IPAs, but they were all clamoring to drink the Suarez Pils.

The Hecto Pale Ale was well balanced and delicious. The pilsner was spot on, and definitely one of the top 5 domestic pilsners I’ve tried.
I ask as it's my favorite brewery in NY, as well as many of my friends. We all sort of mule for each other every few weeks as it's 2.5 hours north of Brooklyn. The pilsners are my favorites, but just about everything else has been further dialed in over the past year.
I would happily drink their pilsners regularly if I had access. My wife brought their beer back from a work trip she took to upstate NY. My BIL is into beer and lives in Manhattan, so hoping I can convince him to send me some when he heads north.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16284 Post by BRhoades » October 1st, 2019, 5:43 pm

Image

Modern Times Beer. Wave Sweeper DIPA, 8.3% ABV. Hopped entirely with Freestyle Farms Nelson Sauvin from NZ. My favorite hop varietal and one of my favorite breweries, what can be bad ? It's got that dank dirty earthy vineous nose. Flavors show massive goose berry, pineapple, passion fruit and sweet green table grapes. Brewed at the Modern Times DTLA DOJO location and is available for pours and fills. If your a Nelson fan grab it before it's history.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Jhart
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 37
Joined: February 5th, 2013, 5:44 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16285 Post by Jhart » October 2nd, 2019, 6:18 am

4CD3D977-5FDC-4816-A2CE-5CC82DAFC50E.jpeg
36C5CEBC-B0B6-4ABA-B534-9ECDA914ACF2.jpeg
54286A07-AA19-426A-A9CA-7F3D3B60FCE7.jpeg
I’ve been doing more buying than drinking lately, but here are a few pics from a recent work trip to Brussels. I apologize about the sidewards photos. Can’t seem to figure it out on my iPhone.
John

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16286 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am

Continue to enjoy the Fort George Crysknife (collab with Our Mutual Friend Brewing), which blows away all three variants of the 3 Way this year.

Melvin 2x4 is back on the shelves, coming in at 9.9% for a DIPA.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16287 Post by BRhoades » October 2nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am
Continue to enjoy the Fort George Crysknife (collab with Our Mutual Friend Brewing), which blows away all three variants of the 3 Way this year.

Melvin 2x4 is back on the shelves, coming in at 9.9% for a DIPA.
9.9 % DIPA [wow.gif] They used to call those triples champagne.gif

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16288 Post by BRhoades » October 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm

Image

Sand Box Brewing Co.Fruit Box Series, Enigma. Fruited Sour Blonde Ale. Brewed with fresh Blackberry and Black Currant puree. 6% ABV. Tiny Sand Box Brewing out of Montclair Ca. is making waves in the " slushy " styled beers that Indiana's 450 North made famous. This is a sour blonde ale base beer with prodigious amounts of fresh pureed fruit added. Huge aromatics of fresh crushed black fruits, some funk from the sour blonde ale, but pretty much a blast of fresh fruit. I went into these rather skeptical, I attended an art event at the brewery over Labor Day and was introduced to the owner by my neighbor who had several of her pieces in the exhibit. After Jason tasted me through his small but well curated line-up he took out a can of the 450 North he had in the cooler and then cracked a can of his take on the style which was a beer called Toxic. This was my first foray into the deep dark world of slushy/smoothie styled beers and I loved them. These are fun unpretentious beers that are utterly refreshing, delicious and crushable at ABVs that hover around 4.5% to 6 %. Sand Box is TINY, as in his can releases are in the 15-25 case range. He brews a beautiful west coast pale ale, a great west coast IPA, a couple well made NEDIPA's but what's getting the most buzz are these fruited sour ales. Last Saturday Jason released two different fruited sour ales, this and one called Aftermath which is brewed with Pink Guava and Passion Fruit. I made the 50 minute drive last Saturday and grabbed two 4 packs of each. The line was minimal inside the small space, I was maybe the 15th in line, when I got to the counter they were almost sold out of cans, they did have crowlers available as well.In line I met folks who drove up from places as far away as San Diego to Santa Monica to grab some of these highly coveted beers, I guess it's a thing, and it's delicious.

These are fun !

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16289 Post by Scott Tallman » October 2nd, 2019, 8:42 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 5:24 pm
A nice malty Heater Allen Bobtoberfest. I always enjoy this one. Might be at a fresh hop fest in Portland tomorrow.
Had this last week and it is my fav version yet. The Heater Allen Harvest Lager is also delish, but the Rauch Helles is utterly stunning. For me, perfect level of smoke added to the already stellar Helles. Can’t wait for this to be canned!

Wayfinder Terrifica - new batch is great just like the prior ones

Fremont Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop Pale Ale - another really solid version of this beer. Not shre it will ever again reach the heights of its first few batches, but close enough is still an excellent and unique beer. The hazy version is even better!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16290 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 2nd, 2019, 8:54 pm

Crux Dr Jack Fresh Hop IPA - REALLY didn’t like this. Not sure what was off on it, but tasted like warm cigarettes at one point.

Bodhizafa Fresh Hop - super green and not recognizable when compared to the regular release. Enjoyed it, but like the normal version more.

MT Blazing World - supposedly amber, but largely confused imho. It’s ok, but there’s too much good beer out there to drink to settle with this.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16291 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 13th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Enjoying watching Seattle lose to the Browns while drinking:
* Ft George Fields of Green - usually a solid release and the latest is no exception. Lands somewhere between a hazy and a PacNW IPA, imho.
* Fremont Head Full of Hops - I do love this time of year and fresh hops are one of the few things that can make Fremont beers acceptable, similar to the note on Reuben’s above.
Attachments
64C70F95-C2DA-4C0B-83A7-D74EAE841B40.jpeg
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Scott Tallman
Posts: 2767
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Location: Seattle (Fremont), WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16292 Post by Scott Tallman » October 13th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 1:01 pm
Enjoying watching Seattle lose to the Browns while drinking:
* Ft George Fields of Green - usually a solid release and the latest is no exception. Lands somewhere between a hazy and a PacNW IPA, imho.
* Fremont Head Full of Hops - I do love this time of year and fresh hops are one of the few things that can make Fremont beers acceptable, similar to the note on Reuben’s above.
Had a can of the FOG yesterday with Crosby hops. Thought it was outstanding. My impression could have been influenced by my drinking it while standing on top of a 6,000 ft mountain. Would happily drink again.

Did not like Head Full of Hops, just like I have not enjoyed any of the Head Full of Dynamite series. But will be swinging by brewery later today to see if any Cowiche Canyon left!
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4436
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16293 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 13th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Head Full of Hops has a pretty aggressive bitter finish that I can totally see as a turn-off. I’m enjoying the green on this, which reminds me a lot of Pliny, minus any real malt.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6208
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16294 Post by Mel Hill » October 13th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am
Continue to enjoy the Fort George Crysknife (collab with Our Mutual Friend Brewing), which blows away all three variants of the 3 Way this year.

Melvin 2x4 is back on the shelves, coming in at 9.9% for a DIPA.
Big fan of OMF here in Denver

Melvin does great with high ETOH
DIPA’s my favorite has been their
Lambda Lambda Lambda
From The RIPA series, it hid it’s 10% very well.

Currently drinking some Cerebral Letters & numbers and Rare Trait and finishing up the stash of Treehouse from last weekend

User avatar
Tyler F.
Posts: 36
Joined: June 22nd, 2019, 10:41 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16295 Post by Tyler F. » October 13th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Got to try a bottle of 2018 Hill Farmstead Damon. Such a great beer. Liquid brownie and quite delicious!
Tyler Fabian

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18201
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16296 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2019, 12:14 am

Modern Times w/Bearded Iris - "Harvest of Memories" NEIIPA
Modern Times w/Pizza Port - "Gentle Reminder" hazy IPA
Deschutes - "Obsidian" Stout
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

robincooper
Posts: 4
Joined: October 15th, 2019, 2:04 am
Location: London

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16297 Post by robincooper » October 15th, 2019, 5:02 am

Brew Dog Dead Pony Club

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18201
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16298 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2019, 1:08 pm

robincooper wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:02 am
Brew Dog Dead Pony Club
Possibly the best session IPA I've had (iirc). It is about 3.6%, right?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18201
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16299 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Lagunitas - their 2019 "One Hitter series" hazy IPA. It's actually pretty good, but more an unfiltered IPA than a full-on NEIPA.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
BRhoades
Posts: 2338
Joined: February 8th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16300 Post by BRhoades » October 16th, 2019, 9:41 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Lagunitas - their 2019 "One Hitter series" hazy IPA. It's actually pretty good, but more an unfiltered IPA than a full-on NEIPA.
Are you referring to Born Yesterday ? The fresh hop pale ale ? That is great stuff !

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”