#1 Post by Dennis Atick » September 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

Just for fun. DFCS did not sign-off on this activity. [cheers.gif]

@decaturwinedude

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: At What Age Did You Start Cooking?

#2 Post by Brian Tuite » September 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I cooked my first dinner for my family when I was about 12. My. mom left me the recipe for Hamburger Stroganoff. I added all the ingredients to the pan at the same time. For some reason the meat never cooked right. ;-)
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#3 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 16th, 2019, 3:33 pm

The first time I started cooking creatively was at about 20 yo. Creative cooking became far more regular around the age of 25.

But first time I started cooking meals for the family was probably in middle school; I don't think I was yet cooking for the family when I was in 5th grade, but I might have been.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brian Tuite » September 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 3:33 pm
The first time I started cooking creatively was at about 20 yo. Creative cooking became far more regular around the age of 25.

But first time I started cooking meals for the family was probably in middle school; I don't think I was yet cooking for the family when I was in 5th grade, but I might have been.
My Mom worked for a neighbor doing school pictures. Usually spent three days or more a week in SLO or surrounding area. I am the youngest of 5 children. She’d shop for the week and each sibling had cooking duty one night a week.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 16th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Nice! Many hands ...

I was oldest of 2, and my younger brother -- for a variety of reasons -- never made dinner for the family, so that task fell to me a lot; I didn't mind.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by cjsavino » September 16th, 2019, 5:08 pm

When I was 14-15, dad worked and mom had passed a few years before this, so regularly started dinners. The days of shake and bake pork chops, cook till shoe leather then serve.
Chris

Sarah Kirschbaum

#7 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 16th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I started helping my mother in the kitchen when I was pretty young, maybe 7 or 8. I could make simple things myself soon thereafter. I am pretty sure I made my first real meal for the family around 11 or 12.

We try and involve my stepson (10) in cooking from time to time, but he is hopelessly uncoordinated. His fingers go right under the knife every time - he doesn't seem to see the upcoming consequences, and places them directly in danger to get a firm grip on whatever the thing is he wants to chop. We tried one of those knife guards, but he seemed unable to do anything at all with that on his fingers. I'd think he was just trying to get out of helping, except that he's almost equally hopeless cutting his own food at meals.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Craig G » September 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Here’s that kid grown up.

2E7DA208-6F99-47C0-A355-87F7CE3A8AF0.jpeg
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Adam Noble » September 16th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Microwave fudge when I was 7. Mac and cheese when I was 8. Coincidentally also visited the emergency room when I was 8 after spilling a pot of boiling water on myself. Started getting competent by 10 and cooking complicated stuff after Boy Scout camping trips. My 10 year old daughter has been cooking and baking with my wife and I for at least 3 years. My 7 year old son just started with peeling and cutting carrots. We love cooking.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Siun o'Connell » September 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I was helping in the kitchen by age 3 but my first full meal was for visiting relatives and was from the Betsy Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls - I made the Swedish Meatballs (which included two varieties of Campbells soup).

My daughter and her husband are both chefs and my three year old grandson often decides to make scrambled eggs himself - he's not allowed to turn on the stove so my dtr goes into the kitchen and does that and watches as he completes the eggs. He also can put together most of a batch of chocolate chip cookies. (On the playground he routinely prepares pretend food and then serves any child he sees sitting nearby ... he has FOH down)

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by David K o l i n » September 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm

7 or 8. I cover meals while my mom taught and worked on lesson plans. The meals were pretty simple

Victor Hong

#12 Post by Victor Hong » September 17th, 2019, 4:10 am

Child labor starts early in China and Chinatown. DCFS knows to stay out of our kitchen, especially because the Health Department and Animal Control inspectors already leave no elbow room there. Always underfoot and in the way, when we try to push dishes out of the kitchen.
WineHunter.

Dennis Atick

#13 Post by Dennis Atick » September 17th, 2019, 4:57 am

Fun thread, I wasn't actually looking for answers, just thought the video was cute! And kind of crazy!
@decaturwinedude

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Brian Tuite » September 17th, 2019, 5:22 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 4:57 am
Fun thread, I wasn't actually looking for answers, just thought the video was cute! And kind of crazy!
Oh, in that case I retract my previous statements. [snort.gif]

2019 WOTY...

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#15 Post by Joe Chanley » September 17th, 2019, 6:56 am

wasn't interested until i was grown, but my 6 year old daughter has a starter knife and is interested. we put her in a week of cooking camp this summer which was really just to get her interested in the process and she's going to take a class once a week. we'll see how she progresses, but solid at course dicing and cracking eggs.....

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by scamhi » September 17th, 2019, 9:18 am

I started cooking with my mother very young I would guess around 5 or 6.
She was an amazing cook.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Gil Bauer » September 17th, 2019, 7:37 pm

scamhi wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 9:18 am
She was an amazing cook.
The opposite of Suzanne, my mother was one of the world's worst cooks. My brothers and learned to cook at a young age in self defense.
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Randy Bowman » September 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:37 pm
scamhi wrote:
She was an amazing cook.
The opposite of Suzanne, my mother was one of the world's worst cooks. My brothers and learned to cook at a young age in self defense.
My mom was a horrible cook too. I discovered Swanson TV dinners. After that it was Hunt's Skillet Dinners. From scratch, 24 years old making Western Meal in One, a favorite our maid cooked for us in Japan. Not that it means anything but I am not allowed to cook in our home commercial kitchen. Something about kitchen challenged.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Kris Patten » September 17th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Baked cookies with my grandma when I was real young, first time I cooked I was around 10 or 11, simple things like hot dogs or mac and cheese that grew into a love for cooking, flavors and the failures and success that come with trial.
ITB

TimF

#20 Post by TimF » September 18th, 2019, 1:40 am

I was helping my mom cook when I was very young. I was so small that I would sit on the counter. I’d help measure things. It’s possible that’s my earliest memory. I started making eggs by myself when I was five or six. Cookies shortly after that.
Tim F@itsch

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Scott Brunson » September 18th, 2019, 3:23 am

TimF wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:40 am
I was helping my mom cook when I was very young. I was so small that I would sit on the counter. I’d help measure things. It’s possible that’s my earliest memory. I started making eggs by myself when I was five or six. Cookies shortly after that.
same
I was also child labor for my mother's mother, and for her mother as well.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#22 Post by Nola Palomar » September 18th, 2019, 4:45 am

Funny, I can remember at 3 helping my mom (well she probably had me banging a pot or something) and like Suin I also had the Better Homes and Garden Junior cookbook and was making dishes solo at about 5-6. I have an older sister which we were always compared against each other. I learned to cook she didn’t. To this day I’m the only one in the family who can make my grandmother’s recipes like she did, especially her Charlotte Russe.
Last edited by Nola Palomar on September 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Eric Ifune » September 19th, 2019, 12:56 am

Under 10. Would help my mom who was an excellent cook who learned from her mom who was a professional cook in Hawaii.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 19th, 2019, 8:39 am

Gil Bauer wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:37 pm
scamhi wrote:
She was an amazing cook.
^same. But in her defense, my father would eat almost nothing, very much meat and well... meat, so my mom had little incentive to be creative. She recognized that I liked it and encouraged me to cook, and for that I'm very grateful. Put me in some cooking classes for kids when I was probably 7 or 8 and allowed me to cook a lot at home.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by John Davis » September 19th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Young. I don’t specifically remember but as soon as I could sit on a counter and stir, crack eggs, etc... later westood on a stool. Myself and a couple of siblings learned to cook early.

JD
ITB

Magnus Solhjell

#26 Post by Magnus Solhjell » September 19th, 2019, 1:55 pm

A story about the Norwegian philosopher and mountaineer Arne Næss sr. comes to mind. During an interview with a student newspaper he was asked when he started climbing. His answer was "When did you quit?"

I have been helping (or should I say "helping") my mother for as long as I can remember. Now that I have kids of my own, it is a great thing to do together. My son is six and now he really can be a good help. My two year old daughter is less of an actual help, but she loves it.. I've also noticed that cooking with my kids has made me a better cook
It forces me to plan a little further ahead and cook more cleanly and organised.
Screenshot_20190919-174530.png
(This was taken when my son was a little more than two years old. He insisted on rolling the fresh pasta..

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”