What's you favorite Vegetarian-qualifying food?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

What's you favorite Vegetarian-qualifying food?

#1 Post by J a y H a c k » September 9th, 2019, 6:40 am

The reason for the question -

Loren Sonkin is coming to NY next weekend to see the Monday night Browns/Jets game, which is looking like the Loser Bowl after yesterday's debacles. Loren is a vegetarian. He will be attending our pre-game tailgate and I want to provide some vegetarian-suitable food. We cook in the parking lot, so this is not a matter of making something in advance, but we have lots of cooking equipment, so there are not a lot of restrictions other than from cutting up the raw materials to ready to eat should not exceed an hour.

I will definitely make shitake and oyster mushroom risotto. Cases of Shitake and Oyster mushrooms at Restaurant Depot are so cheap it would be a sin not to make them, and risotto in the parking lot is easy.

I could go with a pasta dish, but I am looking of an idea that is more vegetably - if that is a word. I am also pizza-challenged (making round dough never works, although I saw a trick with two silpats yesterday in the parking lot that might work), so I shy away from pizza. I was thinking about Eggplant Parm, but that seems to be cutting the timing a bit close. I will be in my office during the day, so prep work will all be at the Stadium.

PS - Pairing with red wine is also helpful because the risotto doesn't do a good job at that.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What's you favorite Vegetarian-qualifying food?

#2 Post by cjsavino » September 9th, 2019, 7:48 am

Caponata, heats well and can be served by itself or over other stuff
Chris

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by G. Keeler » September 9th, 2019, 8:53 am

Tomato tart can be made ahead of time and reheated or made on site with the right equipment. I make a version of this https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/annas-tomato-tart

I just use a store bought frozen pastry for the crust when I don't have time to make from scratch.
G L E N N

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jay Miller » September 9th, 2019, 9:19 am

Onion tart is also a classic, just leave off the bacon (I know, it hurts to just type those last 5 words).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brandon R

#5 Post by Brandon R » September 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

I've had several very good vegetarian chili recipes. I know the original is all about the meat, so think of it as a bean-heavy soup. I really like this version: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/veggie-chili/

The true kicker that really makes this version is the addition of 1/4 cup of masa. It really is excellent, and perfect for a tailgate. Not great with red wine though.
B. Redman

Barry L i p t o n

#6 Post by Barry L i p t o n » September 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Mushrooms are great. In particular, anything with porcini or chanterelle mushrooms (my Costco has chanterelles)

You could pre cook the eggplant at home the night before and bake the parm on site.

Spinach frittata.

Bean and beet veggie burgers (not meat imitators)

https://www.theroastedroot.net/beet-bla ... rrot-slaw/

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Paul Miller » September 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Wine

MBerto

#8 Post by MBerto » September 9th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Can't ever miss with a Caprese salad (could do it with cherry tomatoes and small mozz slices to make more tailgate friendly).

Also no non-yak-palated person has ever complained about baugette, olives, and a well curated selection of cheeses.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by PeterH » September 9th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Mushroom risotto makes a fantastic pairing for Sangiovese or Nebbiolo wines. Don't skimp on the butter and olive oil. Serve green beans, cooked al dente, on the side.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by AlexS » September 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Any decent Thai curry w/tofu, also love a good Indian veggie Korma (or most any Indian-style veggie curry). And speaking of Asian, a really great Chinese place near me makes a Sichuan-style salt & pepper dish dry fried w/tofu that's sooooo addictively yummy.

So many good pasta dishes it's hard to know where to even start...

Very hard to beat well-prepared bean tostadas with hot sauce.

Dang.

I'm getting hungry!
s t e w @ r t

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by PeterH » September 9th, 2019, 10:42 pm

AlexS wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Any decent Thai curry w/tofu, also love a good Indian veggie Korma (or most any Indian-style veggie curry). And speaking of Asian, a really great Chinese place near me makes a Sichuan-style salt & pepper dish dry fried w/tofu that's sooooo addictively yummy.

So many good pasta dishes it's hard to know where to even start...

Very hard to beat well-prepared bean tostadas with hot sauce.

Dang.

I'm getting hungry!
That could trigger a redux thread on red wine with spicy food. Then again, beer is the standard tailgate beverage.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

I. van de Laar

#12 Post by I. van de Laar » September 10th, 2019, 3:22 am

On our veg days I often make Indian red lentil curry with cauliflower. finish with coriander, yoghurt and lime and serve with Indian Naan bread.. One of those dishes where meat is absolutely not missed ;-)

Pair with riesling.
I = Ivor

Alex N

#13 Post by Alex N » September 10th, 2019, 8:09 am

I like the idea of Indian. There are so many good, easy dishes to make. Plus if you suck at making pizzas, naan is super easy and can be more forgiving with different cooking surfaces.
@13x N1ch•!z

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Eric Ifune » September 10th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Miso risotto. Can add mushrooms or asparagus. Actually miso anything would be good.

Lee Short

#15 Post by Lee Short » September 10th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Chanterelle tortilla. Made like spanish tortilla, but with chanterelles instead of potatoes. Like enough sauteed chanterelles to fill the skillet, and just enough egg to cover.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#16 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Ratatouille, if you are looking for something more on the actual vegetable side rather than more mushrooms, pasta or beans/legumes. There are simple versions which work very well for limited cooking facilities and it can work with a number of wines. Also works exceptionally well reheated.

Russell Faulkner

#17 Post by Russell Faulkner » September 10th, 2019, 11:19 pm

I’m always a little bemused by threads like this. As a (almost fully) vegetarian it’s rather hard to answer as there are literally thousands of options.

I’d generally advise just cooking more of whatever vegetable and side dishes you would normally cook. If you have the bbq going just wrap veggies in foil with herbs and spices and throw them on. Courgette and Marrow are in season here and ideal, just slice almost through finger wide and cram the slices. But don’t feel the need for meat substitutes, even on the form of ‘mushroom steaks’ etc.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 11th, 2019, 5:24 am

What is your stock for the risotto? Vegetable stock?

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by J a y H a c k » September 11th, 2019, 7:21 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm
Ratatouille, if you are looking for something more on the actual vegetable side rather than more mushrooms, pasta or beans/legumes. There are simple versions which work very well for limited cooking facilities and it can work with a number of wines. Also works exceptionally well reheated.
That is my preferred choice. I made some at the villa we rented after spending three hours at the farmer's market in Asti, where the vegetables were so good that the result was outstanding. I have to figure out if I can do it in the time period I have. Lots of cutting the way I do it and I like to do that and then sautee the vegetables first.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by J a y H a c k » September 11th, 2019, 8:25 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:24 am
What is your stock for the risotto? Vegetable stock?
Yes. I can't very well use Lobster stock, which is my preferred choice when making seafood risotto.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by J a y H a c k » September 11th, 2019, 8:42 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:19 pm
I’m always a little bemused by threads like this. As a (almost fully) vegetarian it’s rather hard to answer as there are literally thousands of options.

I’d generally advise just cooking more of whatever vegetable and side dishes you would normally cook. If you have the bbq going just wrap veggies in foil with herbs and spices and throw them on. Courgette and Marrow are in season here and ideal, just slice almost through finger wide and cram the slices. But don’t feel the need for meat substitutes, even on the form of ‘mushroom steaks’ etc.
I do not do meat substitutes. There is a chipotle black bean burger that they sell at Costco that I buy for myself because I like it and I may bring a few of those, but I do not consider them a meat substitute. They are just a good vegetable patty, like eating Pakoras made from ground up rather than whole sliced veggies.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 11th, 2019, 8:46 am

Make pesto and have at the ready. Serve with pasta, sides of cherry tomatoes, perhaps salad. None of this is real wine friendly, so just go with beer or Champagne.

All the Indian stuff sounds luscious but time-consuming and not beverage-friendly. I make pesto, stuff it in the freezer, and the day I want to use it, I just let it thaw on the counter. Can't microwave because the cheese will gum up. I know some people like to leave out the cheese and the oil and freeze in ice cube trays, but this creates small amounts and gives you more last minute work to do.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Sarah Kirschbaum

#23 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 11th, 2019, 2:14 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm
That is my preferred choice. I made some at the villa we rented after spending three hours at the farmer's market in Asti, where the vegetables were so good that the result was outstanding. I have to figure out if I can do it in the time period I have. Lots of cutting the way I do it and I like to do that and then sautee the vegetables first.
Yeah, the best versions would take a little too long, which is why I said a simplified recipe. Or do the cutting at home first. I've cut corners on it before and it's still be great as long as the vegetables you start with are good.

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Christine Huang » September 12th, 2019, 6:30 am

Brandon R wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:50 am
I've had several very good vegetarian chili recipes. I know the original is all about the meat, so think of it as a bean-heavy soup. I really like this version: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/veggie-chili/

The true kicker that really makes this version is the addition of 1/4 cup of masa. It really is excellent, and perfect for a tailgate. Not great with red wine though.
I make vegetarian chili all the time and the boys have no idea it's not meat based. To thicken it and make it hearty, I take an immersion blender to a can of beans and stir that in. I've also been known to add:

Peeled, chopped broccoli/cauliflower stems
Pureed roast beets for a touch of sweetness to temper heat
Leftover veggie burger or sausage patties chopped in the food processor to mimic beef

If anybody ever clues them in, we're going to have words [wink.gif]

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 12th, 2019, 8:01 am

Thomas Keller's summer vegetable gratin is excellent. Can also be made ahead and reheated.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”