Traveling Wine Glasses

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Lee Short
Posts: 1233
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Traveling Wine Glasses

#1 Post by Lee Short » September 4th, 2019, 8:27 pm

We're looking to get a few wine glasses for traveling. We don't normally like stemless, but for this application the space savings and the lack of a fragile stem are strong benefits, and the early frontrunners are from Schott Zweisel -- Forte Stemless Tumblers and Air Stemless Red Wine Glasses

Any others I should be considering? I don't like the sharp angles of the Schott Pure series.

EDIT: The most common use case will be going to a rental house, usually by driving rather than flying.

Steve Slatcher
Posts: 260
Joined: July 24th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#2 Post by Steve Slatcher » September 5th, 2019, 3:18 am

The Riedel O series is the obvious alternative to those you mentioned. I use them, and like them.

The only ones I have compared them to are much cheaper brands like Darlington Glass, and the Riedels are a lot better, though for occasional use I'd say the cheaper ones are OK too.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#3 Post by Russ Williams » September 5th, 2019, 8:57 am

If you’re driving I would recommend a wine glass carrying case and take your good glasses. No need to sacrifice when traveling.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

User avatar
Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion
Posts: 3605
Joined: November 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Location: Hudson, Ohio

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#4 Post by Dave McIsaac » September 5th, 2019, 9:08 am

Russ Williams wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:57 am
If you’re driving I would recommend a wine glass carrying case and take your good glasses. No need to sacrifice when traveling.
+1

Lee Short
Posts: 1233
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#5 Post by Lee Short » September 5th, 2019, 9:47 am

Russ Williams wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:57 am
If you’re driving I would recommend a wine glass carrying case and take your good glasses. No need to sacrifice when traveling.
When we are driving, we often take the convertible, where packing space is definitely at a premium. I suppose if we were only taking 2 stems, that wouldn't really be such an issue. But often we are getting together with family or friends, and I was planning on packing 6 glasses as a matter of course. And the cases that I've seen for 6 stems are really quite large.

Does anyone have any cases they recommend for 6 glasses -- either stemless, or with stems?

User avatar
Albert R
Posts: 640
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#6 Post by Albert R » September 5th, 2019, 10:00 am

Dave McIsaac wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:08 am
Russ Williams wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:57 am
If you’re driving I would recommend a wine glass carrying case and take your good glasses. No need to sacrifice when traveling.
+1
+3
Air, road or sea we always take our stems!
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8267
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#7 Post by Russ Williams » September 5th, 2019, 10:47 am

Albert R wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:00 am
Dave McIsaac wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:08 am
Russ Williams wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:57 am
If you’re driving I would recommend a wine glass carrying case and take your good glasses. No need to sacrifice when traveling.
+1
+3
Air, road or sea we always take our stems!
What do you use when traveling by air?
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

User avatar
Andrew Hamilton
Posts: 841
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 8:36 pm
Location: Perth, Western Austalia

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#8 Post by Andrew Hamilton » September 5th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 3:18 am
The Riedel O series is the obvious alternative to those you mentioned. I use them, and like them.

The only ones I have compared them to are much cheaper brands like Darlington Glass, and the Riedels are a lot better, though for occasional use I'd say the cheaper ones are OK too.
+1. I also use the "O to go" series. I think one of the best things about them is the cardboard cylinder case they come in which provides ample protection for travel.

Image
Don't be an idiot schmelt. It doesn't count unless you go bardownski.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2535
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#9 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 5th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Just arrived in Hong Kong with our Os in the carry-on. We even used them on the plane.

User avatar
Albert R
Posts: 640
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#10 Post by Albert R » September 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Russ Williams wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:47 am
Albert R wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:00 am
Dave McIsaac wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:08 am


+1
+3
Air, road or sea we always take our stems!
What do you use when traveling by air?
Over the years I’ve used many different methods with only one broken stem. A quality wine glass or wine bottle case works. I take my less expensive stems: Riedel, Schott Zwiesel or Stolze..... But they must have a stem. My stemless glasses are for water, beer or scotch. Just my preference.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8653
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#11 Post by Chris Seiber » September 5th, 2019, 6:29 pm

[scratch.gif] But ... travel shock ... can’t drink wine in hot weather ... wine too serious for vacation ... just drink beer and cocktails ...

User avatar
Yao C
Posts: 669
Joined: February 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm
Location: Portland-McMinnville / SF

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#12 Post by Yao C » September 5th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Lee fwiw I’ve used these plastic cups for tastings for years (used to hold them at work) and have found them to work pretty well


Chris Seiber wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:29 pm
wine too serious for vacation ...
What a novel idea
C h 0 o n 6

User avatar
David Baum
Posts: 675
Joined: August 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm
Location: Carlsbad CA

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#13 Post by David Baum » September 5th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Am I the only one here who keeps go vino glasses in his golf bag, beach bag, back pack and trunk. Unbreakable and more than adequate at an unbeatable price. Use it for a tailgate and your last roadie then toss it at the gate. Easy peasy

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4696
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#14 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 6th, 2019, 7:03 am

David Baum wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Am I the only one here who keeps go vino glasses in his golf bag, beach bag, back pack and trunk. Unbreakable and more than adequate at an unbeatable price. Use it for a tailgate and your last roadie then toss it at the gate. Easy peasy
I hope you’re cross posting to the philly sports thread .

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1477
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Traveling Wine Glasses

#15 Post by Steve Crawford » September 6th, 2019, 8:09 am

zaltos are great 👍🏼

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”