What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Ramon C

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#16201 Post by Ramon C » July 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Occasional beer drinker here and gets excited when had one that rocked my boat. This did - IPA, made-brewed in Japan, awesome orange color, good warm-or-cold weather beer, and terrific with crispy pig’s ears and tsukemen ramen at NYC’s Momosan.

Beer = Ozeno Yukidoke IPA

AD9A2502-7EEB-4B9C-B55C-7984295BC81D.jpeg
@brera

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16202 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 29th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Having my first Ft. George 3-Way this season and Andrew, you're wrong. This is delicious.
Am glad you like it; I had another pour on draft tonight and continue to believe it’s a confused beer, trying to find a middle ground between a hazy and a Pac NW IPA. I thought it was thin, missing malt in the middle and awkwardly bitter at the end. I think I’m usually pretty damn close to you, palatewise, so god only knows why we’re so off on this one.

Also had a HUB Ace of Spades, which continues to be a malt bomb. I’ve been drinking this for 15 years now and it has gone from one of my favorites to meh.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16203 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 29th, 2019, 9:44 pm

There are different 3-Ways this year, three of them! I don’t have the skinny but the one with Idaho hops is reportedly best.

Idaho 7, Citra, Cashmere are the hops this time around and there different batches.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

BRhoades

#16204 Post by BRhoades » July 31st, 2019, 6:09 pm

Tree House Summer DIPA. 8.1% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Amarillo and Magnum hops. Showcases that beautiful softness that Tree House is known for from the nose through the palate. It smells like fresh squeezed orange juice and ripe papaya. It tastes like a citrus sorbet and sweet stone fruits. There is just enough bitter citrus pith to balance it out and it shows on the wonderful long dry bitter sweet finish. A showcase of delicate austerity that somehow enables all the aromatic and flavor complexities to stand out on their own so seamlessly. Thank you Jorge.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#16205 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 1st, 2019, 5:56 am

Glad you got em Bud!
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16206 Post by Jim Stewart » August 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

Hill Farmstead Vera Mae 2018
"And now for something completely different". . . A couple of months ago my daughter brought me back two 750's from Hill Farmstead, Arthur and this one. I have had and enjoyed Arthur before and I gave it to someone who I thought might enjoy it. We opened the Vera Mae today. First sip was shockingly sour in a bad way and reminded us of our first taste of a lambic. Not like any "Saison" that we have had before. We decided to keep sipping away at it and are happy we did. As we adjusted to the fact that this beer did not meet our EXPECTATIONS, we began to enjoy this different taste. Lemony sour and tart. Refreshing. Kind of delicious. It is described on the bottle as a "Spring Blosson Ale brewed with flowers and honey and aged in wine barrels". The ingredients show the flowers to be dandelions!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16207 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm

Glenn will be proud of me :)
Attachments
8E8E56E8-60C5-494D-9372-CA7890E67C09.jpeg

BRhoades

#16208 Post by BRhoades » August 2nd, 2019, 4:19 pm

Tree House Doubleganger DDH DIPA 8.2% ABV, No hop bill listed. The epitome of a world class NEDIPA. So incredibly delicate and soft with layers of citrus, tropical and stone fruits galore. Beautifully balanced. Thank you Señor Henriquez for the amazing TH beer package and Fu for tossing this in for me as well.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

BRhoades

#16209 Post by BRhoades » August 2nd, 2019, 4:29 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
Nice..........

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16210 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 2nd, 2019, 6:53 pm

Modern Times pours:
"Techno Comforts" - NEIIPA. Hopped with Cashmere, Motueka, Centennial, Cascade, and Huell Melon. Plus tangerines and Sauv. Blanc. grape must.

I wouldn't normally order this, but I took it on recommendation, and I'm glad I did. It's pretty damn good! Can definitely taste the tangerines. Very citrusy. I'd order it again.

"Omni Void" - NEIIPA: hopped with Citra and Motueka.

This is excellent. My style of hazy, as it leans a bit more bitter and white grapefruity. Prefer this to the Techno Comforts.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16211 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » August 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am

BRhoades wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:29 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
Nice..........

Cheers,

Bud
Love everything Heretic!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16212 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm

Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Alpine Nelson IPA (Rye) - oh have the mighty have fallen

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16213 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 3rd, 2019, 3:43 pm

In the immortal words of the poet Juvenile...

Back that ass up!
Attachments
BE4BAE66-AEDB-4998-A38C-9453C76DDABC.jpeg

BRhoades

#16214 Post by BRhoades » August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm
Modern Times MT6! - nothing like the MT5 I remembered, exceedingly tart. Good beer after the tart bite wears off, but a let down after the epic beer that was MT5.

Modern Times Nova Colony - holy sourness. I did not enjoy, but Scott, Charlie, etc will likely think it’s their beer of the year.

Alavarado Street American IPA - good beer, no haze, but of a bite at the end. Nice on a warm day.

Completely agree with you Andrew on the MT6! It's good beer but far from the MT5! and the epic DDHMT5!, and yes, oh my, the mighty have fallen. I hope Fu isn't reading this yet as I gave him a bottle when we had lunch together this week. The last batch showed promise, so when I heard they were canning and bottling Nelson under Shawns leadership I held out hope this would get even closer, no such deal. It's not a bad beer as far as a unfiltered west coast IPA goes but it lacks any of the OG's traits.

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16215 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 3rd, 2019, 4:44 pm

Funny you wrote that re: Alpine, as the ONLY reason I ordered was that I have seen post after post from you on Alpine’s Nelson-hopped beers. I’d read your posts on the post-Green Flash decline, but was holding out hope for the Nelson beer.

I picked some other random beers up (mostly Alvarado Street, which is on a year out of Monterey) and will post if they’re any good. Staying down in Walnut Creek for a week and my brother restocked his bar after a tour in Africa... so we’ll be splitting time between IPAs, Rochioli and older Kosta Browne wines, and old school Havana Club daiquiris!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#16216 Post by c fu » August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm

BRhoades wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:

Completely agree with you Andrew on the MT6! It's good beer but far from the MT5! and the epic DDHMT5!, and yes, oh my, the mighty have fallen. I hope Fu isn't reading this yet as I gave him a bottle when we had lunch together this week. The last batch showed promise, so when I heard they were canning and bottling Nelson under Shawns leadership I held out hope this would get even closer, no such deal. It's not a bad beer as far as a unfiltered west coast IPA goes but it lacks any of the OG's traits.

Cheers,

Bud
drinking it now. it's not bad.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

BRhoades

#16217 Post by BRhoades » August 4th, 2019, 11:09 am

c fu wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm
BRhoades wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm
Andrew Kotowski wrote:

Cheers,

Bud
drinking it now. it's not bad.
Maybe can's will closer ? It's not a bad beer by any stretch and as it warms it tickles the memory slightly.

Cheers,

Bud

Dennis Atick

#16218 Post by Dennis Atick » August 5th, 2019, 5:20 am

Finally got to try Electric Brewing this weekend. Chapters of Repugnance is a DDH hazy NE-style IPA. Layers of creamy- milk sugar trop fruit goodness. Deserves its high praise. Up there with Treehouse and Monkish for my palate. Very good.
Attachments
IMG_20190802_200523_185.jpg
@decaturwinedude

BRhoades

#16219 Post by BRhoades » August 5th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Russian River and Karl Strauss Brewing. New California IPA. 6.5% ABV. Hopped with Pahto,Ekuanot, Amarillo and Idaho 7 hops. Utterly delicious crushable west coast IPA from these two veteran California breweries. It's piney with lots of bitter citrus pith and is hoppy AF and finishes bone dry just like this style should. There is a lot of RR DNA all over this baby.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16220 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 5th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Have been wading my way through a bunch of week old Pliny and Blind Pig, which were on the shelf at While Foods in Walnut Creek. That said, I REALLY enjoyed this one by Alvarado Street Brewery (Monterey/Salinas). Was shocked at how much this reminded me of the Modern Times juice bombs I’ve had.
Attachments
B1C92C5F-501F-4CBC-B772-6DBBD345CE16.jpeg

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16221 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 9th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Interesting experience with this one (Maine Beer Company, Another One) - just noticed that the stamped date on it is 12/25/2018. Was still a great beer, but I didn’t get any of the “New England IPA” notes from the BA comments (mango, passion fruit, etc). Still a great beer that was abnormally crisp.
Attachments
F1EDFC1C-8B2E-443A-91E0-73DF097C7C6B.jpeg

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16222 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16223 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
That beer is not supposed to be a NEIPA, Andrew. It's probably my favorite of their lineup. Or, more precisely, it's not supposed to be a "hazy", as the term is used these days.
I’m really enjoying it. Thought I was missing something based on the notes... Strikes me as the IPA I’d expect if Rick caved and made one.

Scott Tallman

#16224 Post by Scott Tallman » August 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm
I’m really enjoying it. Thought I was missing something based on the notes... Strikes me as the IPA I’d expect if Rick caved and made one.
Maine Beer Company makes what I consider the most balanced hoppy beers I’ve ever tried. Whether it’s Lunch, Dinner, this one, or Peeper, they are all just delicious.

Not sure where you procured this, but MBC and Oxbow are the two East Coast breweries that I really wish had distro in the PNW (caveat - I’ve seen and bought some Oxbow at bats in Seattle and bottle shops in Oregon, but very limited selection and quantities available).
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16225 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 9th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Case of it in the fridge at a liquor store in Lafayette at $6.99/bottle. Also scooped up a Modern Times/Pizza Port collab called Gentle Reminders that I’m looking forward to trying.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16226 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 11th, 2019, 1:12 am

Gentle Reminder is excellent. I particularly like it on the colder side.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16227 Post by Rick Allen » August 11th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 9:52 pm
Don't hold your breath.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16228 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm

LOL!!

Yeah, Rick has painted himself deeeep into the No IPA corner.

You know who else did that, once upon a time? Monkish. And now ... well ... you know. :)

Mel Hill

#16229 Post by Mel Hill » August 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm

38895A2D-88FD-418B-B4EE-72D7D61D2360.jpeg
East Coast Transplant, DIPA from New Image
This is the best batch (or, maybe the freshest)
I’ve had. These guys make a bunch of good beers!

Brian Lynch

#16230 Post by Brian Lynch » August 14th, 2019, 4:39 am

Mel Hill wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm

New Image. Sounds like a 90s boy band

Mel Hill

#16231 Post by Mel Hill » August 14th, 2019, 6:10 am

I’d rank them in the top five for NEIPA here in Colorado.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16232 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 14th, 2019, 10:15 am

Pizza Port - "Swami's" IPA
Firestone- "Mind Haze" NEIPA
Monkish - "Bloom and Blossom" NEIIPA

Dennis Atick

#16233 Post by Dennis Atick » August 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Treehouse continues to fire on all cylinders. Very Gggreennn is like Gggreen and Very Green on steroids. Fresh hop fragrance purs out the moment you pop the can. Super saturated mouthfeel. Powerful, but with that creamy Treehouse mouthfeel that is almost unparalleled. Treehouse does one of the best jobs with pushing DIPAs out there without them turning into Orange Julius slushies.
Outrageous stuff if you like style.

As Bud would say, "highly recommended"
Attachments
20190814_183724.jpg
@decaturwinedude

BRhoades

#16234 Post by BRhoades » August 17th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Monkish Brewing Co. Broadcasting Live DIPA. 2019 Vintage. Hopped entirely with Nelson Sauvin hops. 8.5% ABV. So Monkish pulls a silent release last Tuesday night featuring this, my favorite Monkish beer. Last released in October 2018, this without a doubt is IMHO the best single hopped Nelson beer brewed. I'm an unabashed Nelson whore and this is my trick. The nose is dirty dank dieselly earthy funk. The flavors are tropical and citrusy, it's also loaded with ripe stone fruits, melon and that grapy vinous streak you get from sticky ripe Nelson buds. Otherwordly, but you guys already knew I'd say that.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16235 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 17th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Well, hell ... nice pull, Bud!!

I'm having one of my Bloom & Blossom right now. It seems to have gone a little black licorice-y over the past week, which garners no complaints from me.

Ramon C

#16236 Post by Ramon C » August 18th, 2019, 11:27 am

Follina Giana, from the Veneto, with delicious seared full squid appetizer at Porsena in NYC. Beer was medium-bodied, refreshingly tasty, gulp-able amber ale. Liked!

9772DCF0-14E0-4277-AC51-601DF99F6C4E.jpeg
@brera

BRhoades

#16237 Post by BRhoades » August 18th, 2019, 3:39 pm

August 17th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Well, hell ... nice pull, Bud!!

I'm having one of my Bloom & Blossom right now. It seems to have gone a little black licorice-y over the past week, which garners no complaints from me.
Black Licorice ? thats a interesting flavor profile I've yet to encounter in a beer. I love this B&B, it is really opening up a week after canning, I'll look for that licorice note on my next can.

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16238 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 18th, 2019, 5:58 pm

I think black licorice is a hallmark of the Centennial hop.

ERPark

#16239 Post by ERPark » August 26th, 2019, 9:21 am

Just reupped my Ambassadors of Sour membership for 2020 with The Rare Barrel.
GEN3

John Draper

#16240 Post by John Draper » August 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm

love these guys. I'm also a big fan of their Coriolis Effect New Zealand Style Pale.

Re the Cerebral Scam Likely, I had very high hopes because I love 99% of their beers but I got a funky white pepper note on the back end, enjoyed everything but the finish. In fairness it was their inaugural release of Scam so maybe they have dialed things in a little; I'll need to revisit on their next can release.
liberstein

Mel Hill

#16241 Post by Mel Hill » August 26th, 2019, 7:50 pm

F89BFC3B-0EF1-4BD9-94C6-E2EFBC8C3D52.jpeg
My first 4pk of Hop Butcher, Cosmic Fountain
On first impression, kind of sweet but the second pint is better. Not terribly different than the NEIPA style beersI get in Denver.

This was “in the back” at my friend’s liquor store so it might be a current favorite of the local
Beer geeks...

At my Mom’s hence the lamp photo [swoon.gif]

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16242 Post by ClarkstonMark » August 26th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Hop Butcher is definitely near the top of the Chicago neckbeard’s wish lists
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16243 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Surprised to see Surly has made its way to WA state distribution.

Enjoying a Surly Todd the Axe Man on tap at the moment, with several 4 packs of that and Furious to take with me. Overpriced relative to the competition, but Axe Man isn't bad beer.

Quick update: bar guy said this was a “one time thing” and that there was no plans to carry Surly in the future. Seemed a little strange.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16244 Post by Rick Allen » August 28th, 2019, 7:03 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Enjoying a Surly Todd the Axe Man on tap at the moment, with several 4 packs of that and Furious to take with me. Overpriced relative to the competition, but Axe Man isn't bad beer.

Quick update: bar guy said this was a “one time thing” and that there was no plans to carry Surly in the future. Seemed a little strange.
This has become more common in the last couple of years. A brewery has excess inventory, so they sell it through a one time agreement with a distributor into a state where they don't normally do business. It is particularly annoying to see brands coming into your states on a one-time basis, especially during the slow (December - March) season. We've been approached about doing this in about a dozen central and east coast states. Since we can't keep up with demand in the three states where we sell, it's not something that we'll do any time soon.

Brian Lynch

#16245 Post by Brian Lynch » August 28th, 2019, 10:27 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Treehouse continues to fire on all cylinders. Very Gggreennn is like Gggreen and Very Green on steroids. Fresh hop fragrance purs out the moment you pop the can. Super saturated mouthfeel. Powerful, but with that creamy Treehouse mouthfeel that is almost unparalleled. Treehouse does one of the best jobs with pushing DIPAs out there without them turning into Orange Julius slushies.
Outrageous stuff if you like style.

As Bud would say, "highly recommended"
I went through about 8 Tree House labels in the last few weeks and found that most of the base versions of their beers were better than the versions they amped up or put on steroids as you say. Off the top, I found

Hurricane > Super Typhoon
Green > Gggreennn
Julius > Jjjuliuss

Dennis Atick

#16246 Post by Dennis Atick » August 28th, 2019, 10:47 am

Brian,
Funny you should this. My brother and I were just talking about this last night as I told him that Julius > jjjjuliuss. I actually was not all that enamored with JJJ. I do think Very Green is better than Green, but Green trumps the other Gggreeenns. Very Gggreeen becomes a bit much on the palate once you sit with it. I also think Doubleganger (fresh today!) is better than Doppleganger. It's hard to keep up some times as things begin to regress to a mean.
@decaturwinedude

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16247 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 28th, 2019, 11:56 am

Rick Allen wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 7:03 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

This has become more common in the last couple of years. A brewery has excess inventory, so they sell it through a one time agreement with a distributor into a state where they don't normally do business. It is particularly annoying to see brands coming into your states on a one-time basis, especially during the slow (December - March) season. We've been approached about doing this in about a dozen central and east coast states. Since we can't keep up with demand in the three states where we sell, it's not something that we'll do any time soon.
Strange to see Surly as a producer with excess inventory though, especially on a flagship beer like the Axe Man. That's like RRB dumping Pliny somewhere!

BRhoades

#16248 Post by BRhoades » August 28th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Modern Times Beer. Blanc On Blanc On Blanc. DIPA. 8.5 % ABV. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Hellertau Blanc hops with a big addition of Sauv Blanc wine must and New Zealand Sauv Blanc wine yeast. This is the second iteration of this recipe with the new "Blanc" addition with the Sauv Blanc wine yeast. Dank earthy musty nose with wisps of citrus and ripe tropical fruits. The flavors show ripe crushed pineapple, sweet tangerine, melon's and that wonderful vinous character from the Nelson hops and the Sauv Blanc must and yeast. The Sauv Blanc must pulls all the fruity deliciousness together into a cohesive delicious DIPA that allows the layers of complex flavors to shine. This was part of the August on-line sale and should still be available at most MT mini marts if your lucky enough to live close by one.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16249 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 30th, 2019, 8:13 pm

2 from Modern Times:
Blanc on Blanc on Blanc
Wave Sweeper

Wave Sweeper is 100% Nelson and I've been waiting for what feels like for-ev-er for this to come on tap. And it is DE-LISH!!!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16250 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 30th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I missed posting this one last week. Brought a couple of RRB beers over to Mark Y and he was gracious enough to open this before I ran home!
Attachments
EC69D556-C613-484B-A2F2-566274D27983.jpeg

Return to “Beer and Spirits”