Turks & Caicos

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

Turks & Caicos

#1 Post by Leonard Taylor » May 29th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Any recommendations for where to stay, villas to rent? We prefer the quieter places, not big on night life, ocean front, no all inclusive type resorts. Just the beach, nice restaurants, a place to recharge. We have been going to St. Barts for years and renting private villas through Wimco. We love SB but wanting to go someplace new to us.
Leonard Taylor

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Turks & Caicos

#2 Post by Ethan Abraham » May 30th, 2019, 4:17 am

Can't go wrong with seven stars. Great location near lots of restaurants and shops, they have an adult pool now too just check with them about how construction of the Ritz next door might affect your room We also like the Somerset, though it's a little further from the main restaurant strip. Both should be fairly quiet TBH there's been a not-insignificant amount of crime reported lately so I'd be wary of standalone villas.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by George Hejna » May 30th, 2019, 6:19 am

Grand Cayman.

:)

George

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mark Y » May 30th, 2019, 6:49 am

George Hejna wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 6:19 am
Grand Cayman.

George
Hotel/Airbnb rec for cayman?
We’ve been to Turks and Caicos 4 times in the last 5 years but thinking of changing to cayman next year.
Have 2 smallish kids.

At TC we stayed at Beaches resort which is super kid friendly but probably not what the Op is seeking ;)
Y.e.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Ethan Abraham » May 30th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Cayman always seems insanely expensive to me whenever I look at hotels there.

Really for a relaxed beach for a trip without kids I don't think you can beat cap jaluca in Anguilla.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by RichardFlack » May 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Grand Turk would seem to fit the brief. I’ll post more comments when I get to a keyboard.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by RichardFlack » May 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 4:17 am
Can't go wrong with seven stars. Great location near lots of restaurants and shops, they have an adult pool now too just check with them about how construction of the Ritz next door might affect your room We also like the Somerset, though it's a little further from the main restaurant strip. Both should be fairly quiet TBH there's been a not-insignificant amount of crime reported lately so I'd be wary of standalone villas.
That’s on Provo?

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by George Hejna » May 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Mark Y wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 6:49 am
George Hejna wrote:
Grand Cayman.

George
We’ve been to Turks and Caicos 4 times in the last 5 years but thinking of changing to cayman next year.
Have 2 smallish kids.

At TC we stayed at Beaches resort which is super kid friendly but probably not what the Op is seeking ;)
With small kids a condo is a must. There are many along 7mb from $1000+ a night to $250 in off season. The north side is quieter but a car is needed.

start here.

http://caymanvacation.com

https://caymanvacations.com

https://www.caymanvillas.com

George

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mark Y » May 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm

George Hejna wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Mark Y wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 6:49 am
George Hejna wrote:
Grand Cayman.

George
Have 2 smallish kids.

With small kids a condo is a must. There are many along 7mb from $1000+ a night to $250 in off season. The north side is quieter but a car is needed.

start here.

http://caymanvacation.com

https://caymanvacations.com

https://www.caymanvillas.com

George
Thanks George.. is Cayman just that much more expensive than everywhere else? I mean $1000+ per night? is that outrageous? hahaha

is there a reason for that? is there something special about cayman vs say Provo (T&C), Negril, bahamas, etc..?
Y.e.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by George Hejna » May 31st, 2019, 6:36 am

I don't think Cayman is that much more expensive than T&C. Certainly more than Jamaica but I think that is obvious. I have not been to Bahamas. Cayman has a very high standard of living for the Caribbean. Good hospitals, infrastructure and low crime.
The West side (7mile Beach) is very built up with large condos, resorts etc. The East end is much more rustic. There are no all inclusive resorts. Cayman is really all about the water, with fantastic diving and snorkeling. The island itself especially the interior is pretty scrubby and flat.

George

Ian H

#11 Post by Ian H » June 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

We just got back from Grand Cayman. Stayed at the Kimpton Seafire. Very nice. Lots of families and kids. Good service. Pretty good food. I'd go back, but also swayed by the fact I love golf and there a couple decent courses on the island. Rumor is a four seasons is being built on seven mile beach, but seems like at least a couple years away.

Turks & Caicos felt a little more natural and unspoiled to me, for sure, when compared to something like Grand Cayman. We stayed there maybe 10 years ago at the Cuisinart, which was surprisingly great given the resort is named after a blender.

St. Barts is probably my favorite ever Caribbean trip though. Also been about a decade since we've been there. Next to St. Barts, Mustique was phenomenal. Similar to St. Barts in that many people rent villas and there are some lavish ones on Mustique. For a hotel option, Cotton House is good.
@@S

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by adam landa » June 2nd, 2019, 9:00 pm

We also just returned from GC. Stayed at the Ritz...lots of families with kids of all ages...and the additional pool and kids play area helped to make it not seem crowded...only complaint is the beach, which we found to be very crowded compared to the Ritz Amelia Island.

I was unaware of a Kimpton location until we were there...would definitely look at as an option.

Compared to Bahamas, found prices to be high...is what it is.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Ethan Abraham » June 3rd, 2019, 4:28 am

The nice thing about Turks is that almost all of the hotels are actually privately-owned condos with a hotel company that runs services, takes care of renting the rooms, etc. So finding a multi-bedroom suite with a kitchen, etc is very easy and the upcharge is not as bad as at a normal hotel chain.

Also since owners don't have to rent out their rooms, hotels can be "full" with many empty rooms (so crowds don't get crazy). I know at the Somerset, for example, many of the largest suites are empty most of the time.

Dave Nerland

#14 Post by Dave Nerland » June 14th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Turks & Caicos are on my list to visit. Been going to Cayman almost 20 years, very safe. A lot of the island has been bought up by Ken Dart's companies. Dart Enterprises owns the Ritz, Seafire, Camana Bay, and I think the old Hyatt as well many commercial buildings/residential projects, etc. All his projects seem to be top notch...

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Ethan Abraham » June 17th, 2019, 8:44 am

I realize my.comments above are a bit off as there definitely seem to be a lot of condos available in GC at reasonable prices. Hotels seem pricey to me if you need suites. Of course I realize this as flights to GC are 1/2 that of Turks for my next trip, so I think we might give Cayman a try! Looking at Coral Stone club...

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by George Hejna » June 17th, 2019, 2:20 pm

If budget allows look at. http://www.caribclub.com

Really phenomenal, great location.

George

Jeff Johannsmeyer

#17 Post by Jeff Johannsmeyer » June 18th, 2019, 3:44 am

Kind of late to the party here, but we really enjoyed our stay at Seven Stars, located on Grace Bay beach on Provo. It's a condo-style property with large rooms and a fairly quiet vibe. We had a 1-br, 1.5-ba that was ~1800sq ft, and it was quite nice. I think the 2 and 3 br plans have the same core living area, but with more bedrooms on the other side of the main room. Be warned that "nice' restaurants weren't in ready supply when we were there a few years ago. I'd call it more "adequate", though prices remain on the higher end. We did enjoy Kitchen 218 at the Beach House resort, but the other popular spots were just ok.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Ethan Abraham » June 18th, 2019, 4:45 am

George Hejna wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 2:20 pm
If budget allows look at. http://www.caribclub.com

Really phenomenal, great location.

George
That's the other one we are looking at. Price isn't too bad, exactly the same as the similar setup we were looking at in Turks. Under 1k a night before tax for a 2 bed.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by George Hejna » June 18th, 2019, 6:21 am

I really like it. The condos are huge. Very high end. Plus you have a really nice restaurant called Luca in the bldg. They will do room service and they have waiters on the beach for drinks. It is a nice hybrid of hotel/condo. Parking is simple and included (IIRC) also

George

Randall McFarlane

#20 Post by Randall McFarlane » June 18th, 2019, 10:34 am

The Meridian Club on Pine Cay in the T&C is quite nice.

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Leonard Taylor » August 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm

What about taking wine in? I am hearing that it might cost as much as $50/case for good beer. If beer costs that much, wine must be crazy expensive. Thoughts.
Leonard Taylor

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Mark Y » August 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Leonard Taylor wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm
What about taking wine in? I am hearing that it might cost as much as $50/case for good beer. If beer costs that much, wine must be crazy expensive. Thoughts.
into Turks & Caicos?
we brought a 12 btl case on a wine check (mix of wine and beer). $0.
Y.e.

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Leonard Taylor » August 12th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Mark Y wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Leonard Taylor wrote:
into Turks & Caicos?
Yes, into T&C. Thanks Mark. This is our first trip into T&C for our anniversary. Usually go to St. Barts where you can get really good wine for not all that much. So thinking of taking a case of wine but didn't want to get soaked at customs.
Leonard Taylor

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Mark Y » August 12th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Leonard Taylor wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Mark Y wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Leonard Taylor wrote:
into Turks & Caicos?
Yes, into T&C. Thanks Mark. This is our first trip into T&C for our anniversary. Usually go to St. Barts where you can get really good wine for not all that much. So thinking of taking a case of wine but didn't want to get soaked at customs.
yah.. brought it 3-4 times now.. never had an issue or a question..
Y.e.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Buying any alcohol (or anything) on island in T&C is incredibly expensive as there is a huge import duty on everything. That and the tourism tax on hotels and restaurants are essentially the only two tax sources for the government. Alcohol is cheaper at the wine store than at the grocery store, but it's all relative.

We checked a 12-bottle wine shipper full of wine from our cellar, no problem, no cost. Highly recommended.

We did not do this but heard stories of people bringing in lots of groceries in checked luggage - e.g., Dad checked two bags, one clothes and one a case of wine - Mom checked two bags, one clothes and one a bag full of cereal, bread, pasta, etc. - Kid checked two bags, one clothes and one a cooler full of frozen meat. Depends on how much you intend to eat out. One local we spoke with said he goes to the States a couple of times a year and always checks a second, empty bag flying up and fills it with groceries or whatever from Costco or Sam's when he returns.

We enjoyed the island. We did not stay at Seven Stars but ate at their flagship restaurant (brought our wine in, of course) and had a fabulous, though certainly expensive, meal. Scuba and snorkeling were very good. Cab fare is exorbitant and they charge "per person" so taking the whole family gets crazy expensive.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 11th, 2019, 5:02 am

Just got back from our trip to Cayman (ok I know this is a Turks thread but it seemed to end up being a discussion of both). We stayed at a condo called the beachcomber which is in the same stretch of beach as the Ritz and the Caribbean club mentioned above. No amenities (ie food onsite, concierge) just a huge beautiful room, empty beach, nice pool with view to the ocean. Walkable to the Ritz or caribbean club for food (Luca at the cc had good food and a nice wine list with not-insane-for-islands prices) For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would stay at the Ritz. They pack em in like sardines on the beach...looking up and down seven Mile beach it's easily the most crowded spot. Can't even see the beach from the pool as there's so many chairs and cabanas blocking the view. We had lunch at the seafire one day and it was pretty similar. Condo is the way to go. If you need onsite food and drink service stay at the Caribbean club.

TBH we liked Cayman more than Turks (just comparing seven Mile beach to grace bay). The way we see it, Anguilla is always our favorite for it's low key, rustic luxury, local music, beach bar, and food scene, laid back, etc but we aren't going to schlep there with little kids. Grand Cayman seemed sort of soulless but immaculate. The grocery store we went to was brand new and would be too notch in the US. Roads were excellent, cel service good, no beach vendors, airport was clean and had proper air conditioning, etc. Obviously the huge financial sector plays a large part in this and there are plenty of other socioeconomic and historical reasons. Also water was calmer as it's proper Caribbean, not atlantic. Turks seemed a weird middle ground where it's not as well kept as Cayman but without the charm of Anguilla. I also liked that on seven Mile beach there are no dunes so the pools and restaurants have direct view of the beach, whereas the view on grace bay is somewhat blocked by scrubby dunes.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by George Hejna » November 12th, 2019, 6:35 am

Pretty good summary of Grand Cayman. You must have been to the new Foster's grocery store. I hear it is great. It's nice also that the airport construction is now mostly finished. They have to still lengthen the runway but that shouldn't really effect anyone.

Did you dive or snorkel?

George

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 12th, 2019, 6:43 am

We did a little snorkeling near stingray city, it was a blast.

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”