Kosta Browne

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jmigliano

Kosta Browne

#1 Post by Jmigliano » August 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm

This was probably my first list and one my first introductions to “higher end” wine. Had one of their Chardonnay tonight with dinner and can’t belive this is at the same price point as a ceritas or Aubert. Been slowly disappointed with their Pinot as well. May no longer be a buyer of their wines
J o h n

GregT

Re: Kosta Browne

#2 Post by GregT » August 2nd, 2019, 6:07 pm

Big ripe and sweet. But Aubert is too.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Jmigliano

#3 Post by Jmigliano » August 2nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

GregT wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 6:07 pm
Big ripe and sweet. But Aubert is too.
This was just acid and oak
J o h n

AndrewH

#4 Post by AndrewH » August 2nd, 2019, 8:19 pm

I bought some of the Chardonnay que it was first introduced. Realized not soon enough that it’s 180° opposite the style of Chardonnay I like (although I think it’s well made). Still like the Pinot noirs though - just getting a lot harder to afford.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by Adam Frisch » August 3rd, 2019, 12:46 am

I've only had it once, and I thought it was very good. But I've certainly had even better ones. Out of the classic Pinot producers, Williams-Selyem was the one I was least impressed with.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#6 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 3rd, 2019, 9:06 am

Where WBers used to be their core market, it is no longer, as they found the much larger, less picky market in the well-to-do wine hobbyists, who buy based on label status. MUCH bigger market, no fuss. The wine is made for that market - big, bold, unabashed, and gobs of profit.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Scott E.

#7 Post by Scott E. » August 3rd, 2019, 9:48 am

So I guess I'm not a WBer and I'm not fussy either... To each his own.
$.E$te$

John Ammons

#8 Post by John Ammons » August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am

Jmigliano wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm
Had one of their Chardonnay tonight with dinner and can’t belive this is at the same price point as a ceritas or Aubert.
Ceritas and Aubert are not at the same price point as one another.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by larry schaffer » August 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am

Had an interesting conversation with a somm friend who recently led a tasting of Kbs from both the 2007 and 2017 vintage. His comments on the pinots: the 2007s spoke of the 'house style', whereas the 2017's spoke a lot more of vineyard sources / AVA's.

I honestly have not had these wines for quite some time - truly curious if the opinions expressed here are based on 'generalizations from the past' or from current experiences, especially with the pinots?

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Jmigliano

#10 Post by Jmigliano » August 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm

John Ammons wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am
Jmigliano wrote:
Had one of their Chardonnay tonight with dinner and can’t belive this is at the same price point as a ceritas or Aubert.
Ceritas Chardonnay runs 65, Aubert about 80 and KN was 72. Pretty much same price point.
J o h n

Jmigliano

#11 Post by Jmigliano » August 3rd, 2019, 2:01 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am
Had an interesting conversation with a somm friend who recently led a tasting of Kbs from both the 2007 and 2017 vintage. His comments on the pinots: the 2007s spoke of the 'house style', whereas the 2017's spoke a lot more of vineyard sources / AVA's.

I honestly have not had these wines for quite some time - truly curious if the opinions expressed here are based on 'generalizations from the past' or from current experiences, especially with the pinots?

Cheers.
[/quot

The Pinots are still good IMO. Just think not as good as about 6 years ago. That being said I have been disappointed in their single vineyard wines especially at that price point.
J o h n

John Ammons

#12 Post by John Ammons » August 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

Jmigliano wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm
John Ammons wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am
Jmigliano wrote:
Ceritas Chardonnay runs 65, Aubert about 80 and KN was 72. Pretty much same price point.
Aubert vineyard designates are $100+ and more on the after market. Yes, they have appellation blends at $80 but those should be compared with the Marena from Ceritas, which is their vineyard blend and is around $50.

AlexB

#13 Post by AlexB » August 4th, 2019, 6:45 pm

A friend talked them up for months but I found their Pinot and Chardonnay disappointing. Similar to what you see with certain boring overpriced Burgundies.

I’d be curious to try some older vintages. These were both recent ones.

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 4th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 9:06 am
Where WBers used to be their core market, it is no longer, as they found the much larger, less picky market in the well-to-do wine hobbyists, who buy based on label status. MUCH bigger market, no fuss. The wine is made for that market - big, bold, unabashed, and gobs of profit.
“No fuss” is such a good way to put it.

I’m all about the fuss and people who care about what they’re drinking. Bring that on.
Vincent - ITB

Jeff_M.

#15 Post by Jeff_M. » August 5th, 2019, 7:17 am

Besides the prices jumping, the style of the wine has changed. I moved on from buying their wine.
Jeff M 0 l l

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Bud Carey » August 5th, 2019, 8:08 am

I switched to Cirq.
Budman

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chris Seiber » August 5th, 2019, 1:21 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 10:34 am

Cheers.
There is a pronounced "what you are supposed to say about KB" fashion on here, one that is more about generalizing about the kinds of people who buy and drink it, and the various ownership changes and valuations of the company, than about the wines themselves.

To the extent any discussion can get to the actual wine, most of the impressions are left over from the early years of KB, pre-2007, when they were making 15%-ish super ripe pinot. It's hard to get through all that and have any actual conversation about their wines, and there seems to be little point to making the effort.

But since you actually seem interested, their style went from Martinelli-type max lush ripeness in the early 2000s to a medium-large style (14.5% or so) starting about 2007. For example, the 2011 Sonoma Coast pinot was 14.4%, 3.59 ph, 5.8 g/L TA. While I think they would hold on longer and better than the pre 2007 wines, they're still best in the first 5-6 years from the vintage, I think.

In the last vintage or two, they have dialed the style lower. Here are the specs for the 2017 Sonoma Coast pinot (KB has always done an excellent job of putting out detailed information about each wine):

Fermentation
84% Stainless Steel open tops / 8% Concrete open tops / 8% Wood open tops / 4% Whole Cluster

Oak
40% New French Oak for 17 months / 6% Concrete tank for 10 months / 15% Wood tank for 10 months

Alcohol
14.2%

pH

TA
5.62 g/L

I don't think I've opened one of the "newest" style pinots. I only buy a few a year. I should open one before the next ordering season, though, just to see whether I want to keep buying.

Return to “Wine Talk”