Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rory K.

Re: Bedrock Fall 2019 Release - Save the Date

#101 Post by Rory K. » July 24th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 12:00 pm
Matt K wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:03 am
Anything I absolutely have to get in this release? I have a massive allocation for some reason, so I should have an opportunity to grab anything. I'd like to keep it 12 bottles or under, however. Everything seems so tantalizing though...
Just click “Purchase Allocation” and be done with it.

newhere
lol! I tried clicking that button to see how much it would be...over 3 grand, decided to generously pass on much of my allocation to the wait list! [cheers.gif]
K i n n e a r

ITB

T. Williams

#102 Post by T. Williams » July 24th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 3:42 am
T. Williams wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 6:58 pm
Case of OVZ (year over year out #1 weeknight wine) and a mixed case of heritage red, evangelho, gambrels, and staves.

Wishlisted 6 magnums (almost hoping they don’t hit as that would put me at 3 cases!!!)
Tim, Based on your experience with the OVZ bottling, do you expect the '18 to be drinking well relatively soon? Thanks. -Jim

We like ours with about 3 years on them. Right now we are finishing ‘15s and half way through our ‘16s; both are right in the zone. I think they need about a year in the cellar to get rid of the baby fat.

Now, that’s not to say I won’t “accidentally” open one right away just to check in. In those cases, they are very drinkable right out of the gate too.

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Mark Maddox » July 24th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Case and a half, and that’s after buying 2 cases when we visited them in June. [truce.gif]

David B

#104 Post by David B » July 24th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Ordered some Carlisle, Bedrock Heritage, Grenache, and Compagni Portis. Bedrock has great release emails. Very educational with some personal touches. I really enjoy reading them.
Last edited by David B on July 24th, 2019, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B|um

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by JeremyMullman » July 24th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I took Bedrock and Old Hill Heritage, plus some OVZ, of course. So hard to go bigger with Carlisle hitting at the same time and my relatively limited storage.

I'm tempted to shift to buying from the winter allocation of one and the fall allocation of the other. Is there any consensus on which is the stronger mailer for each? (I concede, of course, that they are all great and I'll be missing out on some great juice either way).

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Nate Simon » July 24th, 2019, 9:35 pm

"Buying freeze" means I stuck to just about a case. OVZ is a no-brainer...so is Evangelho.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Bryan Price » July 24th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Anyone pick up 3 cases of the OVZ?!!
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

M@tt G.

#108 Post by M@tt G. » July 24th, 2019, 9:57 pm

JeremyMullman wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I'm tempted to shift to buying from the winter allocation of one and the fall allocation of the other. Is there any consensus on which is the stronger mailer for each? (I concede, of course, that they are all great and I'll be missing out on some great juice either way).
The first wrinkle in that plan is that Bedrock does three releases: a Spring (Feb), Fall (July) and Winter (November).

The second wrinkle is that while some wines are released consistently in one of the releases, Morgan often shifts wines between releases for a variety of reasons. For example, the Bedrock Heritage and OVZ are consistently in the Fall release but the Bedrock Carlisle vineyard tends to move around between the Fall and Winter releases.

In each offering there are always some gems. I tend to prefer to go a little more shallow and participate in all three releases than to focus on one.
G3y3r

briangager

#109 Post by briangager » July 25th, 2019, 2:57 am

Yikes. 2 cases of OV Zin and 2 mixed cases of all the heritages, zins (minus Esola ) and a couple whites. Normally order 15 OVZ and always wish I had bought more.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Michael Martin » July 25th, 2019, 5:24 am

M@tt G. wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 9:57 pm
JeremyMullman wrote:

The first wrinkle in that plan is that Bedrock does three releases: a Spring (Feb), Fall (July) and Winter (November).

The second wrinkle is that while some wines are released consistently in one of the releases, Morgan often shifts wines between releases for a variety of reasons. For example, the Bedrock Heritage and OVZ are consistently in the Fall release but the Bedrock Carlisle vineyard tends to move around between the Fall and Winter releases.

In each offering there are always some gems. I tend to prefer to go a little more shallow and participate in all three releases than to focus on one.
Morgan always throws some surprises in each release. Just plan to buy some of all three and you won’t miss anything.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by JeremyMullman » July 25th, 2019, 5:41 am

M@tt G. wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 9:57 pm
JeremyMullman wrote:

Well there goes that plan. Sigh.

Gary Ahearn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Gary Ahearn » July 25th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Matt K wrote:
Anything I absolutely have to get in this release? I have a massive allocation for some reason, so I should have an opportunity to grab anything. I'd like to keep it 12 bottles or under, however. Everything seems so tantalizing though...
Not quite in the same situation, but I would like to limit it to just half a case, if possible--for a couple of reasons (I know, heresy.) I've only bought since the '16 vintage, but have not had a bottle yet (unbelievable, right?). In my heart of heart, I know I'll love them, though. So, if only six bottles, what should they be? Right now, I'm thinking 3 Heritage and 3 Old Ranch. Thoughts?? Thanks, WBs!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by joeduncan » July 25th, 2019, 3:16 pm

If I just signed up to the waiting list today should I expect an offer on the 30th (provided there's any left at all)?

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by AD Northup » July 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Gary Ahearn wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Matt K wrote:
Not quite in the same situation, but I would like to limit it to just half a case, if possible--for a couple of reasons (I know, heresy.) I've only bought since the '16 vintage, but have not had a bottle yet (unbelievable, right?). In my heart of heart, I know I'll love them, though. So, if only six bottles, what should they be? Right now, I'm thinking 3 Heritage and 3 Old Ranch. Thoughts?? Thanks, WBs!
Its a preference thing...I personally love any and everything made from Evangelho (Bedrock, Desire Lines, D&R...), so tend to go heavy on that and the Bedrock Heritage while leaving the straight zins alone. Also HAVE to stock up on OVZ every year to leave my wife and friends stuff to drink at our house when I'm out of town (even though I do love it as well).
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2010 Ridge Lytton Springs
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Rich Brown » July 25th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Gary Ahearn wrote:
Matt K wrote:
If I was going all reds, that's 100% what I would do.....although you should at least grab an OVZ sometime to get a feel for the style (fairly easy to find at retail depending where you live).

YLee

#116 Post by YLee » July 25th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Never had Bedrock but own some. How long should I age their Evangelho?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by AlexS » July 25th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 6:41 pm
Gary Ahearn wrote:
Matt K wrote:
If I was going all reds, that's 100% what I would do.....although you should at least grab an OVZ sometime to get a feel for the style (fairly easy to find at retail depending where you live).
Agreed 100% with my bro Rich - fo sho buy the Bedrock Heritage & some Old Hill but be sure to grab the OVZ - OVZ truly is the essence/heart & soul of Bedrock that's all wrapped up in a convenient $19 package you can open anytime entirely free of guilt!!!
s t e w @ r t

Peter Valiquette

#118 Post by Peter Valiquette » July 25th, 2019, 7:50 pm

I haven't received my offer yet since I have not previously purchased from the winery directly. My only experience with Bedrock was through the 2015 OVZ which Wine Spectator built up with their 93 point rating and ranking as #12 on their top 100 wines of the year in 2017.

I'm afraid that WS built up my expectations more than the wine could deliver and I've not purchased another Bedrock wine since that bottle.

I've been a long time Ridge zinfandel drinker with a preference for their Geyserville bottling.

What would you all recommend if I'm going to give Bedrock another try?

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by JDavisRoby » July 25th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Anyone leave me any Syrah?
Joshu@

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by ykwon » July 26th, 2019, 4:42 am

You should be good. The allocations seemed really deep. Most were 12 or 24 for each of the wines!
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Steve Gautier » July 26th, 2019, 4:55 am

Peter Valiquette wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 7:50 pm
I haven't received my offer yet since I have not previously purchased from the winery directly. My only experience with Bedrock was through the 2015 OVZ which Wine Spectator built up with their 93 point rating and ranking as #12 on their top 100 wines of the year in 2017.

I'm afraid that WS built up my expectations more than the wine could deliver and I've not purchased another Bedrock wine since that bottle.

I've been a long time Ridge zinfandel drinker with a preference for their Geyserville bottling.

The Old Vine Zin has never been on WS list. It was the Bedrock Bedrock Vineyard Heritage. Very different wines.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by P Turk » July 26th, 2019, 5:42 am

In for a mixed case of zins and Syrah. Definitely looking forward to trying the old hill ranch and sky in addition to the regular offerings.
Phil

Josh H

#123 Post by Josh H » July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 4:55 am
Peter Valiquette wrote:

The Old Vine Zin has never been on WS list. It was the Bedrock Bedrock Vineyard Heritage. Very different wines.
Wrong, the OVZ was indeed on the list as stated.
Josh Higgins

Rory K.

#124 Post by Rory K. » July 26th, 2019, 8:11 am

Peter Valiquette wrote:

Overall maybe try Pagani (released in Spring), or the Bedrock Heritage (this release)? OVZ is solid, though I don't have the love many have for it either, I think it's just a good value for what it is; I would never let Wine Spectator be in charge of your expectations.

I have a strong preference (with both bedrock and ridge) for the blends with a lower Zin %. I think Geyserville is ~68%? The Bedrock Heritage is in the ~55% range I think. Lorenzo's might be a good one with a solid Petit Sirah component.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Michael Martin » July 26th, 2019, 9:34 am

Josh H wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am
Steve Gautier wrote:
Peter Valiquette wrote:

Josh is right WS gave the '17 OVZ a 93 which I think was over scored. The '17 was still great though, no doubt about it. More pepper, mineral driven than big fruit. So if it wasn't your style, what about it didn't you like?

MBerto

#126 Post by MBerto » July 26th, 2019, 9:53 am

While I appreciate the offer of 120 bottles of the OVZ, that's not going to happen this time. Let me make a small pitch for the Gewurt - really punches way above it's weight for this grape. A little steep at 32 but absolutely worth it. Best thing about it is like almost all Bedrock wines it's not Alsatian/German in style; it's uniquely Californian, but also delicious.

Morgan where are the hats?!?!?!
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Rich Brown » July 26th, 2019, 10:24 am

MBerto wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 9:53 am
While I appreciate the offer of 120 bottles of the OVZ, that's not going to happen this time. Let me make a small pitch for the Gewurt - really punches way above it's weight for this grape. A little steep at 32 but absolutely worth it. Best thing about it is like almost all Bedrock wines it's not Alsatian/German in style; it's uniquely Californian, but also delicious.

Morgan where are the hats?!?!?!
Love the Gewurtz! And really, all the whites Morgan makes. Dont sleep on em!!

Hoang Pham

#128 Post by Hoang Pham » July 26th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Thank god for the reminder email. In for a mixed case!

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Roger Ouellette » July 26th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Got a mixed case of mostly whites (love the compagni and the Waidhofen) that also included some syrah (have to keep the CFO pleased) and like most others here, got a case of OVZ. If you all haven't been to their new tasting "house" put it on your must do list next time you're in the area.

Albert R

#130 Post by Albert R » July 26th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Busy week, but I am finally in for two cases. We visited the new tasting "house" last month and it was awesome all around. Jackie was great and Chris popped in for an added bonus. A must visit.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Steve Gautier » July 26th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Josh H wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 5:45 am
Steve Gautier wrote:
Peter Valiquette wrote:

I stand corrected. I was mixing it up with a different year.

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » July 27th, 2019, 5:59 am

Aaaannnd... I bought. I started buying Bedrock last year. I have yet to try anything from them. Just going on Recs from here. I hope I like them!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 27th, 2019, 8:53 am

Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 5:59 am
Aaaannnd... I bought. I started buying Bedrock last year. I have yet to try anything from them. Just going on Recs from here. I hope I like them!
Open one. Decant it, drink. Put it away for the next day if it’s too tight, etc.

Albert R

#134 Post by Albert R » July 27th, 2019, 11:25 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 8:53 am
Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 5:59 am
Open one. Decant it, drink. Put it away for the next day if it’s too tight, etc.
^^^^^^ [winner.gif]
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 27th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Grabbed my usual mix of Zin/Field Blends, and wish-listed a couple bottles of the 2017 Evangelho Vineyard 'Areio e Vento e Amor'. Sounds like a fun wine.

Also put in a request to visit the new tasting room while my wife and are in in Sonoma next weekend.

These guys do great things.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

matt d

#136 Post by matt d » July 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I was offered two bottle of the sky syrah when i went to place my order today they disappeared and i can only wish list. It said allocation guaranteed so a little mad about that
M@tthew D@h@r

Matt Neumeyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Matt Neumeyer » July 28th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Allocations definitely change the longer you wait to place your order. I guess the good news for those of us who procrastinate is the wish list requests usually get granted. That being said, I need to start ordering earlier.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Michael Martin » July 29th, 2019, 4:20 am

If the allocation shows a drop down menu as 2 of 2, for example, you have an allocation. If the drop down says - of 2, you have an opportunity to wishlist up to 2. I never have seen an allocation “disappear.”

Brian Gilp

#139 Post by Brian Gilp » July 29th, 2019, 4:27 am

I have had allocations go up or down in the past if I wait to order. This has only happened on low allocations (1 or 2 bottles) and nothing for which there is an ample amount.

matt d

#140 Post by matt d » July 29th, 2019, 6:18 am

matt d wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm
I was offered two bottle of the sky syrah when i went to place my order today they disappeared and i can only wish list. It said allocation guaranteed so a little mad about that
i emailed them and they fixed it right up very good service
M@tthew D@h@r

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Chris H. » July 29th, 2019, 6:25 am

This release looks awesome, and so it was difficult to choose, and limit to a case. There are just too many releases coming out in the Jul-Aug time frame, and to maintain a semblance of a budget tough decisions had to be made :-)

This year I went with:

3 Bedrock Heritage
2 Limerick Lane
3 Old Hill Ranch
3 Staves of Waidhofen
1 Carlisle

I wish I could double or triple what I ordered, but am really looking forward to tasting the all the Bedrock goodness, but especially the Old Hill Ranch!
H a r r i s

S. Williams

#142 Post by S. Williams » July 29th, 2019, 6:56 am

One of this lists we stumbled into relatively early on via dumb luck as much as anything else. More Bedrock in our cellar than anything else and, frankly, I'm fine with that. Great wine, great prices and absolutely great people to work with.

Hard to find a better value, for better grapes, than their ~$20 Old Vine Zin, Sonoma Coast (nee North Coast) Syrah and the new Sonoma County Cab. If these aren't your house wines, you're missing out.

My favorites are probably the Heritage blends…But, as I say that, maybe it's the Carlisle (which, sacrilege, I know, I think is as good or better than Carlisle's Carlisle), or the Monte Rosso or the Weill a Way or the Griffin's Lair…You get the idea. While some thrill me more than others, don't think we've ever had a "bad" bottle of Bedrock, or even one where I wouldn't be happy to have it again.

Even though we're beyond full up on cellar space (and, for reasons longtime forum members might recall, we are NOT getting more storage space, ever), I still could barely keep myself to 4 cases, plus another half on waitlist, and that was after culling my original cart which was 6+ even without going all-in on my allocation.
$u$@n Wi!!i@m$

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 29th, 2019, 7:21 am

Buying freeze means 18 bottles for me. Plus a mag.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Nick T.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Nick T. » July 29th, 2019, 7:29 am

I went with:
2-Sky Syrah
2-Heritage
2-Carlisle
12-OV Zin (btw-didn't the price on this go down from $20 to $19 from last release?)
T=t0um@n!os

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Steve Gautier » July 29th, 2019, 7:59 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 7:21 am
Buying freeze means 18 bottles for me. Plus a mag.
I love, understand and identify with your definition of a buying freeze.

markjchambers

#146 Post by markjchambers » July 29th, 2019, 10:25 am

Just signed up a few weeks ago, so no offer yet. After dropping of so many lists, it strange to be trying to get on one. But if there was any list to be on in retirement, this is probably it. (Along with Carlisle which I'll never drop).

matt d

#147 Post by matt d » July 29th, 2019, 11:01 am

full wish list granted
M@tthew D@h@r

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by AD Northup » July 29th, 2019, 12:19 pm

matt d wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:01 am
full wish list granted
Anyone else hear back yet?
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2010 Ridge Lytton Springs
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Michael Martin » July 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm

AD Northup wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:19 pm
matt d wrote:
full wish list granted
I wished for one of the Vento's e Amores. Haven't heard yet.

matt d

#150 Post by matt d » July 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm
AD Northup wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:19 pm
matt d wrote:
full wish list granted
I wished for one of the Vento's e Amores. Haven't heard yet.
I think I heard back early because chris did mine personal because of a problem ordering. The wish list should go out today
M@tthew D@h@r

Return to “Wine Talk”