Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#51 Post by Todd Hamina » July 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am

Wine dinners with morons: blue cheese "fondue" over seared ahi tuna. Disgusting.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 1188
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#52 Post by Brandon R » July 23rd, 2019, 8:02 am

Todd Hamina wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 7:21 am
Wine dinners with morons: blue cheese "fondue" over seared ahi tuna. Disgusting.
[barf1.gif]
B. Redman

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#53 Post by Todd Hamina » July 23rd, 2019, 8:18 am

I told the rep it would be fine if they never scheduled me to do anything with that account ever again.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 941
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#54 Post by Jim Stewart » July 23rd, 2019, 8:55 am

Wine dinners with morons:
Hey, I resemble that remark!
blue cheese "fondue" over seared ahi tuna. Disgusting.
That's what makes the world so "interesting" (and so frustrating). The chef thought that this dish was "sexy".
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#55 Post by Todd Hamina » July 23rd, 2019, 9:48 am

I ate it... in my defense, having lived in the third world had taught me to be a polite eater.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#56 Post by Ian Brand » July 23rd, 2019, 11:28 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 10:05 pm
Mark Y wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Might be a dumb question, but the OP asked the wineMAKERs..

So.... Couldn't cleaning be oursourced to minimum wage workers? or is there some highly skilled cleaning that requires a wine MAKER to do?
No, there isn’t anything about the cleaning that requires highly skilled labor, but when I am getting ready to use the press at harvest, I have the potential for 100% of quality in the fruit(and about $15000 in fruit cost) per load going in to press, pump, and tank.
When I am racking barrels to tank for bottling, I have worked for nearly two years on the wine. Keeping it as close to 100% of quality as I possibly could have, sweating every detail and steadfastly doing everything I can to keep a spoilable product from going south. And 10 barrels(250 cases) of a vineyard designate is $108,000 in the tank.

I am just not going to leave that to some low wage temp making $14/hour. (A temp because I don’t need that body otherwise) I may not enjoy cleaning, but I am definitely not hiring it out.
I mean, if we thought of our winery staff as 'some low wage temp' and 'that body' we'd probably get half-ass work, too. Most people want to do great work if given the training, opportunity and support to do so. We work to find people that have an affinity for the process, and work to keep them year round and for several years. We find it takes about three full years on the crew before a cellarhand becomes pretty autonomous with their work.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1469
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#57 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 23rd, 2019, 12:04 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:28 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 10:05 pm
Mark Y wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Might be a dumb question, but the OP asked the wineMAKERs..

So.... Couldn't cleaning be oursourced to minimum wage workers? or is there some highly skilled cleaning that requires a wine MAKER to do?
No, there isn’t anything about the cleaning that requires highly skilled labor, but when I am getting ready to use the press at harvest, I have the potential for 100% of quality in the fruit(and about $15000 in fruit cost) per load going in to press, pump, and tank.
When I am racking barrels to tank for bottling, I have worked for nearly two years on the wine. Keeping it as close to 100% of quality as I possibly could have, sweating every detail and steadfastly doing everything I can to keep a spoilable product from going south. And 10 barrels(250 cases) of a vineyard designate is $108,000 in the tank.

I am just not going to leave that to some low wage temp making $14/hour. (A temp because I don’t need that body otherwise) I may not enjoy cleaning, but I am definitely not hiring it out.
I mean, if we thought of our winery staff as 'some low wage temp' and 'that body' we'd probably get half-ass work, too. Most people want to do great work if given the training, opportunity and support to do so. We work to find people that have an affinity for the process, and work to keep them year round and for several years. We find it takes about three full years on the crew before a cellarhand becomes pretty autonomous with their work.
And at 3 years if they’re being paid minimum wage, then there is a problem.

Most people do like to do good work, and if you’re production is high enough(or your price point is) to support a year round cellar hand, that’s great but I hope they make more than $10-12/hr(minimum wage for the moment). At 4000-5000 cases a full time cellar person doesn’t pencil out. So a “minimum wage” person on staff is either myself, my partner, or a temp. Harvest is a bit different, we have a small crew, most of whom have been a part of the process for years(and they still don’t get paid what they should, even though it’s over minimum wage).
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5451
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#58 Post by Jim Anderson » July 23rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 9:48 am
I ate it... in my defense, having lived in the third world had taught me to be a polite eater.
Yeah. They can be weird. I remember a course of Dill Pickle Soup once. Wow. Smelly fish is all too common as well.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#59 Post by Todd Hamina » July 23rd, 2019, 12:28 pm

Ian, you trying to put Marcus down for being realistic?
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 426
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#60 Post by Hank Victor » July 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm

They never tell you about the swarm of fruit flies during harvest....
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

David M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 563
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 8:18 pm

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#61 Post by David M. » July 23rd, 2019, 8:57 pm

Hank Victor wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 3:41 pm
They never tell you about the swarm of fruit flies during harvest....
I have a policy that all production staff must spend five minutes a day culling the fruit fly population with an electric fly swatter. Believe it or not it's one task that an intern has never complained about.

I'd like to add that fishing a stem bin out of the pomace bin/truck is never fun.
D. M l L n 3 r
ITB

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#62 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 9:20 am

Todd Hamina wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 12:28 pm
Ian, you trying to put Marcus down for being realistic?
Having been 'a body' and treated as such, I took umbrage with his characterization of the help available and how they should be treated and compensated. I reject the notion that you can't trust your help, even well trained and supervised temporary help, to properly complete repetitive tasks in the winemaking process. As our staff has expanded, our quality and consistency has only improved, though this may be construed as a statement on my cellar skills, I think the heights we've reached indicate otherwise. As such, in my experience, Marcus' statement was not realistic. Furthermore, I felt it was an opportune time to hold up a mirror to a noxious undertone of superiority in the thread. I'm sure Marcus' comments don't reflect how he normally treats people or his true character and am not trying to put him down, however, if as an employer, if there are failures in hiring, training or supervision, that's your responsibility.

To clarify, we've never paid minimum wage, stipends or accepted volunteers because, as someone who started in wineries as a low wage worker, I find the practices odious. It's also relevant that the core of our winery staff are people who started in wineries as low wage 'bodies' and were cast off as troublesome or lacking potential. That perspective forms the core of my response to Marcus', and others, comments in this thread.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#63 Post by Todd Hamina » July 24th, 2019, 9:37 am

You sound like you carry a clipboard.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7300
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#64 Post by K John Joseph » July 24th, 2019, 11:31 am

I kept waiting for someone to respond "Your mother" which would have been a sick burn.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#65 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 11:57 am

Actually, Todd, we have people that carry the clipboards, too. Not bad for someone that was a low wage hose dragger fifteen years ago.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#66 Post by Todd Hamina » July 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Have fun.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

James Kennedy
Posts: 161
Joined: August 9th, 2011, 9:23 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#67 Post by James Kennedy » July 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Not ITB, but a few years ago decided to humble myself by growing grapes and making wine in my Dallas backyard.

While on a biz trip this past week, the ~30lbs of grapes hanging were entirely eaten by squirrels. Had to vent. Now seeking local fruit so I can make something this year.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1469
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#68 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:57 am
Actually, Todd, we have people that carry the clipboards, too. Not bad for someone that was a low wage hose dragger fifteen years ago.
Ian, I get what you’re saying but I don’t think you read my original post correctly.

The comment I responded to was in regards to a previous post suggesting farming out cleaning to minimum wage “bodies”. My response was why we wouldn’t do that, i.e. cleaning in the winery needs training, care, and commitment(just like you said too!) And it had nothing to do with any kind of noxious superiority statement. Sorry if you read that into it. It did state pretty clearly, and I tried to reiterate, that as a small winery-I don’t budget for a full time cellar hand.

I didn’t list cleaning as a “least sexy” thing. I listed why Megan and I do it ourselves, and why we should do it ourselves or pay someone well above minimum wage to do it.

So-no clipboard carriers in my winery. No cellarhands in my winery. No winemakers hiring clipboard carriers in my winery. Just a couple of people who don’t mind getting dirty, and carrying their own hoses.

I worked my first harvest at Evesham Wood for $300 and a case of wine. I washed barrels for Jim Anderson and he paid me a bottle of Notorious(I would negotiate that deal a little better and get his Old Vine Estate next time.) I started my winery for $10,500, and I am the majority shareholder to this day, making 4000-5000 cases so that I don’t have to be a manager. I am super happy to still be the hose carrier at my winery, carboy sanitizer, tank scrubber, barrel washer, etc.

There are plenty of great, hard working, committed people working for lower wages in our industry. BUT, my point was that they should not be just “minimum wage bodies”. I get it that you did that at one point, but nowhere in my post did I comment that those people are a negative. I explained why I do my own cleaning. We should be clear on that now, right?


If my posts had a noxious feel to you. My apologies. Yours comes across to me as self righteous and not having really read what I posted in context to what I was addressing.(which might be on me for communication).
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on July 24th, 2019, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2433
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#69 Post by Brian Gilp » July 24th, 2019, 12:53 pm

James Kennedy wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Not ITB, but a few years ago decided to humble myself by growing grapes and making wine in my Dallas backyard.

While on a biz trip this past week, the ~30lbs of grapes hanging were entirely eaten by squirrels. Had to vent. Now seeking local fruit so I can make something this year.
I feel for you. I love my entire crop to squirrels in 2012 when I changed netting. Now I’ve gone to double netting the high pressure area closest to the tree line and back to the original netting on everything else. I couldn’t get replacement fruit locally that year so ended up with a small bit of frozen just to put up a few gallons.

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#70 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 1:55 pm

No worries. Like I said, I don't think it reflects the way you think of or treat people and I wouldn't have highlighted it if there wasn't already discussion of 'some minimum wage workers' etc. earlier in the thread. The 'noxious' comment pointed at the undertone, like we just hire some meat for pennies to do idiot work, and not your post specifically. I appreciate and understand the perspective with which you're coming at your craft, but, in contrast to Todd's opinion, it isn't the only way to address winemaking. From my perspective, having operated in that manner, it wasn't the best way for us and we actively built to not do that. I'd be happy to explain why offline if you're interested. Either way, the situation in the Willamette Valley isn't the same as the situation here, and the types of projects you'd build to work in and reflect those situations are equally different. Me dragging hoses, scrubbing bungholes and artificially boutiquing our project would mean I couldn't save old vineyards, help change perceptions of a multi-county region, push more holistic farming practices on a wider scale, help train and/or mentor the next generation in the region or work to keep more of our grapes in county (ok, I have a little bit of a background in community development). My feeling is those aren't pressing issues in places like the Willamette. They are here.

To bring it all the way back around, like many here, as the owner I take on the nastiest tasks when they need to be done. Which, as it turns out, is often not on the winery floor.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7300
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#71 Post by K John Joseph » July 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm

James Kennedy wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Not ITB, but a few years ago decided to humble myself by growing grapes and making wine in my Dallas backyard.

While on a biz trip this past week, the ~30lbs of grapes hanging were entirely eaten by squirrels. Had to vent. Now seeking local fruit so I can make something this year.
Lol, that sucks. I was looking forward to futures of your wine! Damnit!
J0hn-J-K4ne

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1469
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#72 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 24th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 1:55 pm
No worries. Like I said, I don't think it reflects the way you think of or treat people and I wouldn't have highlighted it if there wasn't already discussion of 'some minimum wage workers' etc. earlier in the thread. The 'noxious' comment pointed at the undertone, like we just hire some meat for pennies to do idiot work, and not your post specifically. I appreciate and understand the perspective with which you're coming at your craft, but, in contrast to Todd's opinion, it isn't the only way to address winemaking. From my perspective, having operated in that manner, it wasn't the best way for us and we actively built to not do that. I'd be happy to explain why offline if you're interested. Either way, the situation in the Willamette Valley isn't the same as the situation here, and the types of projects you'd build to work in and reflect those situations are equally different. Me dragging hoses, scrubbing bungholes and artificially boutiquing our project would mean I couldn't save old vineyards, help change perceptions of a multi-county region, push more holistic farming practices on a wider scale, help train and/or mentor the next generation in the region or work to keep more of our grapes in county (ok, I have a little bit of a background in community development). My feeling is those aren't pressing issues in places like the Willamette. They are here.

To bring it all the way back around, like many here, as the owner I take on the nastiest tasks when they need to be done. Which, as it turns out, is often not on the winery floor.
I appreciate your attempt to meet inthe middle.

Your next to last paragraph is your opinion but it still reeks of self righteousness.

If you think I don’t do all the things you listed, you’re completely incorrect. If you think you couldn’t do those things from a 2.5 person winery, you aren’t seeing the true possibilities.

I don’t “artificially” do anything, nor am I “boutique”. It’s a craft, and the size of your operation does not imply it being more correct, more “serious”, or more valuable to society as a whole.

I mentor people in all of the things you mentioned and in “building their own house” so they own it rather than collect a paycheck as well.

You should also stay away from foolish judgements about what other wine regions issues are pressing and which aren’t. Everything you listed is as important in the Willamette Valley as anywhere, and the implied elitism of your post is annoying as hell, even if unintentional.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

James Kennedy
Posts: 161
Joined: August 9th, 2011, 9:23 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#73 Post by James Kennedy » July 24th, 2019, 2:36 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm
James Kennedy wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Not ITB, but a few years ago decided to humble myself by growing grapes and making wine in my Dallas backyard.

While on a biz trip this past week, the ~30lbs of grapes hanging were entirely eaten by squirrels. Had to vent. Now seeking local fruit so I can make something this year.
Lol, that sucks. I was looking forward to futures of your wine! Damnit!
The first three people to signup for my futures program will receive the actual squirrels who ate the 2019 crop. Deliverable today!

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1469
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#74 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 24th, 2019, 4:00 pm

James Kennedy wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:36 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm
James Kennedy wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Lol, that sucks. I was looking forward to futures of your wine! Damnit!
The first three people to signup for my futures program will receive the actual squirrels who ate the 2019 crop. Deliverable today!
I’m in for your futures, but I am full up on squirrels so please utilize them for those without deep rodent options!
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#75 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Marcus,

You also make assumptions and misinterpret what I'm saying. For instance, to save a two acre plot of old vines, you have to make somewhere in the couple hundred cases. To save a 20 acre plot of old vines, you have to make somewhere in the couple thousand cases. It requires a different scale. To work in multiple vineyards of that size requires an even larger scale, more than I could handle as an individual winemaker. That's what's required to do the work we're discussing down here, from what you say it's a different story where you work. I don't think that more than half the fruit produced in the Willamette leaves the Valley, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think given the history here with large scale farming (like Almaden big) and land ownership based on the Mission land grants, we're probably dealing with different factors. I don't think anything like Almaden ever touched Oregon. Go back 20 years and we had the largest contiguous vineyard the world had seen at 10,000 acres in Monterey. What's the total Willamette acreage? Twice that? I think our winery is 7x yours. That was what seemed like the best juncture of efficiency and quality here. Just here.

It's funny to me that what I'm saying is eliciting the reaction you're having. That's pretty much the feeling I got from your post -- self-righteous and grating, a judgement on how I was conducting my work. I was pushing back against the idea that the approach you put forward was the only best approach. Perhaps your approach to winemaking (a neutral statement), or the right size for your place, or any number of factors means offering those sorts of jobs doesn't make sense for you. We have a murder rate in Salinas that rivals Oakland and Compton, and a poverty rate to match. Offering those sorts of jobs in a place where the median income is $17,000 was an important part of our plan. We plan on offering more of them, and are working to help other wineries set up shop here to leverage the work we're doing. That's the point of a value-added product.

I hope that context makes it sound a little less self-righteous. There's no judgement on what you're doing, only that if you're not hiring good help, it's not because there isn't good help to hire. You can trust someone to clean a press well. Or stack barrels, or scrub bungholes, or do inventory...
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#76 Post by Todd Hamina » July 24th, 2019, 4:43 pm

You are amazing.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#77 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Have fun, Todd.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Bruce G.
Posts: 90
Joined: March 11th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#78 Post by Bruce G. » July 24th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Standing up to my armpits in fermenting winery waste water trying to clear a blocked sump at 3 AM on a chilly Sunday morning at the end of a 21 hour work day was a particularly low point for me.

Different winemakers do different things.
Some spend most of their time in offices, tastings, etc.
I like the periodic wine dinner... gives me a chance to get out of the bubble and see what motivates and excites knowledgeable wine drinkers. And, unlike Todd apparently, I've mastered the art of re-arranging food on my plate so it looks like I've consumd most of a dish even if I haven't had any.

But I stay close to home, and most of my work is in vyd and in the cellar.
Biggest problems there are back aches and chronic athlete's foot.
And, of course, compliance paperwork sucks any time, anywhere.
Bruce Gutlove

Megan Joy
Posts: 6
Joined: January 9th, 2014, 1:11 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#79 Post by Megan Joy » July 24th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Ian Brand wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm
It's funny to me that what I'm saying is eliciting the reaction you're having. That's pretty much the feeling I got from your post -- self-righteous and grating, a judgement on how I was conducting my work. I was pushing back against the idea that the approach you put forward was the only best approach.
....
I hope that context makes it sound a little less self-righteous. There's no judgement on what you're doing, only that if you're not hiring good help, it's not because there isn't good help to hire. ...
Hi Ian,

Maybe if you wanted to talk about your model, you should have written your own post about why you do what you do, rather than quoting someone else’s statement about WHAT THEY DO and using it as a leaping off platform to defend/ explain/trumpet your choices?
Your post about what you do, the landscape you work in, and the model and importance of your business are all interesting and valid in their own identity. So why did you need to start it by attacking someone else’s?

Marcus’ original post was to someone not in the industry, about why he doesn’t just toss cleaning jobs off on “anyone”. When you responded, he pointed out that you were still talking about people you took care in training, and hopefully were not paying minimum wage. I.E. he was not in any way denigrating your winery or process, or denigrating the work of individuals starting out in the industry or working in your cellar.

As far as I can tell you still didn’t bother to re-read his post. He said that in order to remain small (his choice for his business and not related to your choices at all) he didn’t have full time work for anyone outside of the winemaking team. Admittedly he did not mention that the second member of his team started out in 2011 as a harvest intern with zero experience, worked elsewhere for 2 vintages, came back as Assistant Winemaker, and within 3 years was offered partnership in the winery. Obviously he doesn’t have a problem finding good help... the ladder up here is just maybe a bit steeper than in your cellar.

He did not say that this was the only way to run a winery, or compare himself to anyone else, or our winery model to anyone else’s, and certainly not to yours. You are the one doing the comparing. (Well, and me now too.) In a full page of comment about cleaning he only offered an economic explanation of why he (and his small personal team) did the cleaning, and the economic value of cleaning as being a part of his small team’s process and not something outsource-able.

He apologized to you for maybe not being clear (weird for me, since I felt this was one of his most clear statements) and you continued to denigrate his work and tout your own.

There are lots of models for wineries that work. You found the one that works for you. That’s great. If you don’t want to be seen as dismissive or critical of what someone else does, you should probably just write your own post about what you do. If you just shared what you did that would have been great, the board would have seen another model for a successful business in the wine industry, and you would have zero push back from Marcus and myself...

Todd I can’t really vouch for. newhere
ITB
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Temperance Hill Vineyard

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7175
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#80 Post by Mark Y » July 24th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Megan! 3 posts in 5 years Since joining the forum. Really glad you posted and hope you post more! Love ITB folks.

Appreciate the answer Marcus and others!
Y.e.

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5451
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#81 Post by Jim Anderson » July 24th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Marcus and Todd are notorious hot heads in these parts.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#82 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Megan,
I've reread the posts. At no point did I denigrate Marcus or your process. That certainly was not the intent. I pointed out that I thought the way he spoke about help was a shame, and having been treated as such in the past, I though that was in poor taste. I've made clear I don't think that is how you or he treat employees or people. I've made arguments for the value of good employees in the winery, and pointed out that if it's a priority for you, you can build with the vision of providing good jobs. Having been there, I don't think there's any glory in doing everything start to finish, and in my experience, the premise that stretching yourself in that way somehow makes your wine better is false. In our operation and in those I've watched grow, the addition of strong hires has improved quality and consistency across the board. Like I tried to make clear, this is a very different place than the Willamette. It's as silly a premise as the idea that small wineries inherently make better wine, or that more expensive wines are somehow worth more. Pointing out a false premise is in no way denigration, it's a point of debate. You and Marcus should be proud of what you built. I've had your wines. They're very high quality. That doesn't mean I have to fully endorse everything you do, and it doesn't mean you have to give a shit what I say. But if I see something silly, I'll call it out. I thought that post was silly.
Specifically, you should look back to where I spoke about 'artificially boutiquing' our project. I never said that in reference to what you do. Marcus took that as if I was referring to him, but if you read the post, I was talking about myself. In general, I was offering my narrative as a contrasting positive, not indicating that what you're doing is negative or wrong, just that you shouldn't assume that your model is the only best way. And no one should be referred to as 'that body' or 'some low wage temp', no matter how realistic Todd thinks that is.
Ian
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#83 Post by Ian Brand » July 24th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Marcus and Todd are notorious hot heads in these parts.
Yeah. I'll note that on my clipboard.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6036
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#84 Post by Markus S » July 25th, 2019, 6:11 am

Ian Brand wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm
... We have a murder rate in Salinas that rivals Oakland and Compton, and a poverty rate to match. Offering those sorts of jobs in a place where the median income is $17,000 was an important part of our plan....
And, being in California, housing in the Salinas Valley is still around $400,000 for a house. How do these people live there?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#85 Post by Todd Hamina » July 25th, 2019, 6:55 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Marcus and Todd are notorious hot heads in these parts.
Your mother.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5451
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#86 Post by Jim Anderson » July 25th, 2019, 9:15 am

K John Joseph wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:31 am
I kept waiting for someone to respond "Your mother" which would have been a sick burn.
You got your wish!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5451
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#87 Post by Jim Anderson » July 25th, 2019, 9:17 am

Todd Hamina wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 6:55 am
Jim Anderson wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 9:51 pm
Marcus and Todd are notorious hot heads in these parts.
Your mother.
Attachments
8AFA724D-8791-47D2-B8E4-E266E33D34DC.jpeg
8AFA724D-8791-47D2-B8E4-E266E33D34DC.jpeg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#88 Post by Todd Hamina » July 25th, 2019, 9:26 am

I fart in your general direction.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5451
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#89 Post by Jim Anderson » July 25th, 2019, 9:30 am

Todd Hamina wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 9:26 am
I fart in your general direction.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Ian Brand
Posts: 868
Joined: January 21st, 2010, 6:50 am

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#90 Post by Ian Brand » July 25th, 2019, 10:21 am

Markus S wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 6:11 am
Ian Brand wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm
... We have a murder rate in Salinas that rivals Oakland and Compton, and a poverty rate to match. Offering those sorts of jobs in a place where the median income is $17,000 was an important part of our plan....
And, being in California, housing in the Salinas Valley is still around $400,000 for a house. How do these people live there?
The same way people live all over the world, on the edge. California is an amazing place, not always in the positive sense.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#91 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 25th, 2019, 10:40 am

Hamina, was this you?...

I remember my first Berserkerday. I ordered from Todd, I think, or maybe Fritzsche. I call the phone number and it a mobile. I want to say you were at a bar getting a local cold beer, or something like that. Anyway, you got all of my info, hopefully on a drink napkin, called the next day and the rest is history. Not exactly sexy, but cool as hell.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 3865
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Winemakers: what's the least "sexy" part of what you do?

#92 Post by Todd Hamina » July 25th, 2019, 11:33 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:40 am
Hamina, was this you?...

I remember my first Berserkerday. I ordered from Todd, I think, or maybe Fritzsche. I call the phone number and it a mobile. I want to say you were at a bar getting a local cold beer, or something like that. Anyway, you got all of my info, hopefully on a drink napkin, called the next day and the rest is history. Not exactly sexy, but cool as hell.

Guilty as charged Mr. Carnes. You ready for another reorder?
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”