Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
CliftonD
Posts: 162
Joined: January 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#151 Post by CliftonD » June 25th, 2019, 1:26 am

SeanHarding wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Hi Robert. Yes! We're already booked in Septime for late September when we are back. As well as David Toutain.
Wait. What is your trick for booking Septime for late September? We’re going in early September, and were told they only accept reservations three weeks out. Is there a loophole I need to know about???
+1 for mid-August. Tell us!
D - o - n - g

User avatar
Andrew S.
Posts: 62
Joined: December 11th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#152 Post by Andrew S. » June 25th, 2019, 7:41 am

No, there's no loophole. They're lovely people, and like other places, there's always a chance of making a reservation in person when you've eaten there. Last time I went I only got in off the wait list because they are so rightfully busy.

User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 620
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC
Contact:

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#153 Post by SeanHarding » June 25th, 2019, 11:45 am

Looks like they moved up quite a few spots on the Best 50 list today, so I'm sure that won't help availability 😂 I will keep my fingers crossed, regardless. I have the dates I need to try to make reservations marked on my calendar.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#154 Post by M.Kaplan » June 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm

CliftonD wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:26 am
SeanHarding wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Hi Robert. Yes! We're already booked in Septime for late September when we are back. As well as David Toutain.
Wait. What is your trick for booking Septime for late September? We’re going in early September, and were told they only accept reservations three weeks out. Is there a loophole I need to know about???
+1 for mid-August. Tell us!
Closed in August.

I’ve also had the best success booking in person after a meal. Lunch is a much easier reservation. I’ve had reasonable success on their waitlist.

Do try Saturne for a similar experience. In my opinion, the delta between Septime and Saturne has narrowed significantly over the past couple of years. And Saturne is an easy reservation. Same with Chateaubriand (I like Septime better; service isn’t as rushed feeling).

Andrew S., are you Andy Sipes?
---Mark

Alain M
Posts: 362
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 5:25 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#155 Post by Alain M » June 25th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:13 pm
It has historically been near impossible to reserve. I had a friend who would have another friend who knew the Chef go to the restaurant to make a reservation. Has this changed?
We're going to try to book L'Abri for late September. Unfortunately currently I have no idea how to do so as I've never been able to reach them to book a reservation. :)
If I'm not mistaken, reservations are open for 5 days at the beginning of each month. I'll check with my friends and will confirm.

Alain
M ï c h € l

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#156 Post by Robert Dentice » June 27th, 2019, 11:33 am

Alain M wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:13 pm
It has historically been near impossible to reserve. I had a friend who would have another friend who knew the Chef go to the restaurant to make a reservation. Has this changed?
We're going to try to book L'Abri for late September. Unfortunately currently I have no idea how to do so as I've never been able to reach them to book a reservation. :)
If I'm not mistaken, reservations are open for 5 days at the beginning of each month. I'll check with my friends and will confirm.

Alain

If this is true it is new. From the Paris by Mouth website:


We have never been disappointed by the excellent modern bistronomy at Abri, but the only way that we have been able to go in the last year has been when someone else had a reservation they couldn’t use. No, they will not answer their phone. No, there is no secret strategy. Even if you go in person and ask for a reservation, any reservation, at lunch or dinner for any number of people at any time in the future, the answer will be no. So take it off your list, it’s not a functional restaurant if you can’t ever go.

— Meg Zimbeck, November 2014

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#157 Post by Robert Dentice » July 4th, 2019, 5:31 am

Made a very last second decision to go to Paris this past Saturday. Arrived Sunday just as the weather cooled. Had no time to prepare and make reservations so went mostly to old haunts with a few new ones.

Sunday Late Lunch - Clamato very good as always.

Followed by Cave Septime and Yard

Monday Lunch - Tan Dinh - Food is just ok. Primary purpose was to drink some white burgundy

Monday Dinner - Double Dragon - from the Le Servan crew. Very good. Extremely casual. Only quibble is it is really not the type of food I want in Paris.

Tuesday Lunch - Saturne - Great as always. Chef just cooked for us. Sadly the restaurant is closing in August if you have the chance to go I would.

Followed by quick a stop at Willis Wine Bar for some Chablis and a surprise Riesling

Tuesday Dinner - Restaurant A.T - Absolutely one of the most stunning meals I have ever had. His food continues evolve and it just gets better and better. Full disclosure I am friends with Chef Atsushi.


Wednesday Lunch - Septime - As always wonderful meal. Very happy for their recent placement (#16) on the Worlds top 50 list.

Wednesday Dinner - Le Saint Sebastien Fantastic new edition to my rotation. The Chef was the CDC at the Willows Inn (my favorite restaurant in the U.S.). It is a small casual place with lots of vegetable options. The wine list is excellent. It is Natural but also with a few classical choices so you are not forced to drink the same 10 producers that every restaurant in Copenhagen, Paris and NYC have on their all Natural wine list. Food was excellent albeit the portion sizes could be viewed as a tad small. It was perfect for us after lunch at Septime. I can't wait to go back.

https://www.lesaintsebastien.paris

Followed by Chambre Noire, a very nice natural wine bar with some interesting new to me choices.

User avatar
Andrew S.
Posts: 62
Joined: December 11th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#158 Post by Andrew S. » July 5th, 2019, 11:26 am

Hi Robert,

Saturne is closing permanently this August? That would be such a shame.

bruce curfman
Posts: 138
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#159 Post by bruce curfman » July 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm

I would like to bump this thread, as I was strongly considering Saturne for our trip to Paris/Burgundy in late September-early October. Their website states that they will be closing August 10th but will be reopening September 3rd. However, their online booking calendar only goes to August 9 and shows no dates in Sept.Oct. etc.

Anyone know the skinny on this?

User avatar
Andrew S.
Posts: 62
Joined: December 11th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#160 Post by Andrew S. » July 17th, 2019, 6:55 pm

bruce curfman wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm
I would like to bump this thread, as I was strongly considering Saturne for our trip to Paris/Burgundy in late September-early October. Their website states that they will be closing August 10th but will be reopening September 3rd. However, their online booking calendar only goes to August 9 and shows no dates in Sept.Oct. etc.

Anyone know the skinny on this?
Bruce, I believe it's literally still an unknown. Their booking calendar wouldn't be open for September anyway at this point.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#161 Post by Robert Dentice » July 18th, 2019, 3:13 am

bruce curfman wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm
I would like to bump this thread, as I was strongly considering Saturne for our trip to Paris/Burgundy in late September-early October. Their website states that they will be closing August 10th but will be reopening September 3rd. However, their online booking calendar only goes to August 9 and shows no dates in Sept.Oct. etc.

Anyone know the skinny on this?
I would start looking into other options.

bruce curfman
Posts: 138
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#162 Post by bruce curfman » July 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Oh yeah, lots of options! We may try Rigmarole or Shu, both look interesting. I also want to try Cezembre which is in our neighborhood, and may try to get in at Septime when reservation time comes around. Definitely Freddy's on our first night when an earlier to bed crash is probably inevitable. We rarely go for the big names when in Paris as we do plenty of that when in Burgundy and other regions in France.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#163 Post by Robert Dentice » July 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm

bruce curfman wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Oh yeah, lots of options! We may try Rigmarole or Shu, both look interesting. I also want to try Cezembre which is in our neighborhood, and may try to get in at Septime when reservation time comes around. Definitely Freddy's on our first night when an earlier to bed crash is probably inevitable. We rarely go for the big names when in Paris as we do plenty of that when in Burgundy and other regions in France.
Rigmarole is the hardest reservation to get so make sure you plan well ahead.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4353
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#164 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm
bruce curfman wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Oh yeah, lots of options! We may try Rigmarole or Shu, both look interesting. I also want to try Cezembre which is in our neighborhood, and may try to get in at Septime when reservation time comes around. Definitely Freddy's on our first night when an earlier to bed crash is probably inevitable. We rarely go for the big names when in Paris as we do plenty of that when in Burgundy and other regions in France.
Rigmarole is the hardest reservation to get so make sure you plan well ahead.
I picked up a Sunday reservation a month in advance, but it’s in August.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#165 Post by Robert Dentice » July 19th, 2019, 10:02 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm
bruce curfman wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Oh yeah, lots of options! We may try Rigmarole or Shu, both look interesting. I also want to try Cezembre which is in our neighborhood, and may try to get in at Septime when reservation time comes around. Definitely Freddy's on our first night when an earlier to bed crash is probably inevitable. We rarely go for the big names when in Paris as we do plenty of that when in Burgundy and other regions in France.
Rigmarole is the hardest reservation to get so make sure you plan well ahead.
I picked up a Sunday reservation a month in advance, but it’s in August.
Congrats! I have been once and it was excellent.

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2239
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#166 Post by G. Greenbaum » July 19th, 2019, 10:09 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm
bruce curfman wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Oh yeah, lots of options! We may try Rigmarole or Shu, both look interesting. I also want to try Cezembre which is in our neighborhood, and may try to get in at Septime when reservation time comes around. Definitely Freddy's on our first night when an earlier to bed crash is probably inevitable. We rarely go for the big names when in Paris as we do plenty of that when in Burgundy and other regions in France.
Rigmarole is the hardest reservation to get so make sure you plan well ahead.
I picked up a Sunday reservation a month in advance, but it’s in August.
Do sit at the counter and get the higher end tasting. Come hungry.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

Alain M
Posts: 362
Joined: December 16th, 2013, 5:25 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#167 Post by Alain M » July 21st, 2019, 2:44 am

Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm
We're going to try to book L'Abri for late September. Unfortunately currently I have no idea how to do so as I've never been able to reach them to book a reservation. :)
Hi Andrew,

Any idea what week you'll be there? Or even some days when you'd be available? I'm going next week so I'll try to book a table if you let me know the details.

Alain
M ï c h € l

User avatar
Andrew S.
Posts: 62
Joined: December 11th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#168 Post by Andrew S. » July 23rd, 2019, 4:31 pm

Alain M wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:44 am
Andrew S. wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 12:29 pm
We're going to try to book L'Abri for late September. Unfortunately currently I have no idea how to do so as I've never been able to reach them to book a reservation. :)
Hi Andrew,

Any idea what week you'll be there? Or even some days when you'd be available? I'm going next week so I'll try to book a table if you let me know the details.

Alain
How very kind of you to try, Alain. Thank you. I sent an email to you.

User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 620
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC
Contact:

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#169 Post by SeanHarding » August 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

So I guess while they're on August vacation, the Septime online reservations are also unavailable? 😕

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#170 Post by M.Kaplan » August 7th, 2019, 10:20 am

SeanHarding wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:58 am
So I guess while they're on August vacation, the Septime online reservations are also unavailable? 😕
Yes. This is often the case with Paris restaurants during their summer holiday.
---Mark

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1744
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#171 Post by Robert Dentice » August 7th, 2019, 10:32 am

Looks like Maison Sota is opening September 10th and now taking reservations.

Chef Sota was formerly the Chef of Clown Bar.

Can't wait to go.

User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 620
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC
Contact:

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#172 Post by SeanHarding » August 7th, 2019, 10:55 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 10:20 am
SeanHarding wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:58 am
So I guess while they're on August vacation, the Septime online reservations are also unavailable? 😕
Yes. This is often the case with Paris restaurants during their summer holiday.
I was assuming the online reservations would be automated, so wouldn't need a human present to make it work. Oh well. I guess I'll try to grab a reservation in the small window of time between when they return and I am in town.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4850
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#173 Post by M.Kaplan » August 7th, 2019, 11:31 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 10:32 am
Looks like Maison Sota is opening September 10th and now taking reservations.

Chef Sota was formerly the Chef of Clown Bar.

Can't wait to go.
Thanks, Robert. I booked for early October.
---Mark

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4233
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2019)

#174 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 7th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 10:32 am
Looks like Maison Sota is opening September 10th and now taking reservations.

Chef Sota was formerly the Chef of Clown Bar.

Can't wait to go.
Hope it goes through this time; not sure what happened previously, but he ended up back at Clown Bar fairly quickly, iirc.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4353
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated November 2018)

#175 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 15th, 2019, 11:00 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 10:02 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 1:52 pm


Rigmarole is the hardest reservation to get so make sure you plan well ahead.
I picked up a Sunday reservation a month in advance, but it’s in August.
Congrats! I have been once and it was excellent.
It was great and filling. The table next to us was worried about leaving hungry, they didn’t. I like the wine list and it’s well priced.
Robert I appreciate your willingness to share your finds here.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”