Americans dropping like flies...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jack Linden

Americans dropping like flies...

#1 Post by Jack Linden » July 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm

According to Bill Nanson and the local paper in Beaune, Alex Gambal is selling his business to Boisset. I assume neither of his children were interested in the wine business, as was the case with Domaine Dublere. It's a bit sad to see the efforts that went into creating these singular businesses rewarded only by cash, and not by continuity. That said, better that Gambal's (and Pethel's) kids do something with their lives that they'll enjoy rather than continue something they would find less rewarding out of a sense of duty. There are a lot of children of Burgundian families who are not given that choice.

GregT

Re: Americans dropping like flies...

#2 Post by GregT » July 9th, 2019, 11:36 pm

It's a bit sad to see the efforts that went into creating these singular businesses rewarded only by cash, and not by continuity.
But cash is why you start a business, no? Nobody starts a business because they want to be barely making a living after ten years.

The kids aren't interested, which is their choice. The parents didn't force it, so seems like it worked out.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 10th, 2019, 4:59 am

Jack Linden wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm
According to Bill Nanson and the local paper in Beaune, Alex Gambal is selling his business to Boisset. I assume neither of his children were interested in the wine business, as was the case with Domaine Dublere. It's a bit sad to see the efforts that went into creating these singular businesses rewarded only by cash, and not by continuity. That said, better that Gambal's (and Pethel's) kids do something with their lives that they'll enjoy rather than continue something they would find less rewarding out of a sense of duty. There are a lot of children of Burgundian families who are not given that choice.
What business is that?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Howard Cooper » July 10th, 2019, 5:16 am

Sometimes people should not make posts about motives without facts.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Bdklein » July 10th, 2019, 5:18 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 5:16 am
Sometimes people should not make posts about motives without facts.
But that’s no fun.
Bruce Klein

Adam Lee

#6 Post by Adam Lee » July 10th, 2019, 6:50 am

Without going into details, there are health issues involved in the Gambal situation.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

jhans

#7 Post by jhans » July 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

Strange title on this thread. I believe there were other considerations other than what was mentioned above. We tasted with Alex several years ago while we were in Beaune and he was always a very gracious host and a great winemaker. Hopefully he will get involved in something else.
John

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Morris » July 11th, 2019, 10:33 am

GregT wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 11:36 pm
But cash is why you start a business, no? Nobody starts a business because they want to be barely making a living after ten years.
Uh ... are you familiar with the wine business?
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

John Danza

#9 Post by John Danza » July 11th, 2019, 10:47 am

Jack Linden wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:25 pm
That said, better that Gambal's (and Pethel's) kids do something with their lives that they'll enjoy rather than continue something they would find less rewarding out of a sense of duty. There are a lot of children of Burgundian families who are not given that choice.
You need to explain this one a little more Jack. [scratch.gif]

I think a lot of the children of Burgundian families aren't given the choice to continue the wine business of their parents because of the confiscatory inheritance tax rates in France. I thought most of these businesses get sold because the family can't afford to pay the taxes.
John Danza

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by alan weinberg » July 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

I hope Alex and Diane are doing well. Had a great Burgundy tour w her.

Return to “Wine Talk”