The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 647
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3351 Post by NickRut » June 1st, 2019, 2:10 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 1:44 pm
NickRut wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 1:21 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 8:31 pm
Funny enough my local store had some goodies for me tonight, picked up a 18 GTS, 4R 130th LESB and the Old Fitz 13 year BiB

Cant wait for the 13 Fitz

Wow strong showing. What’d they charge for the old fitz?
$150
Not bad at all. I passed on a bottle for $199 today. I hate the upcharge on some of these bottles.
Rutkowski

james l moleberg
Posts: 319
Joined: October 8th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3352 Post by james l moleberg » June 1st, 2019, 3:56 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 8:31 pm
Funny enough my local store had some goodies for me tonight, picked up a 18 GTS, 4R 130th LESB and the Old Fitz 13 year BiB

Cant wait for the 13 Fitz
very nice, was a big fan of this year's GTS, and the 130th is my favorite LESiB since the 2013

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 1092
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3353 Post by Brandon R » June 6th, 2019, 8:27 am

Just had my first fingers of Booker's Kathleen's Batch last night. Definitely needed some water or ice because WOOO-WHEEE that was a burner! Great flavor, though.
B. Redman

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2893
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3354 Post by ERPark » June 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

Had a few snorts of Old Fitzgerald 11 year BiB. No regrets about ordering them.......
GEN3

User avatar
Dan Kimmelman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 515
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 8:53 am
Location: Moorpark, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3355 Post by Dan Kimmelman » June 14th, 2019, 3:34 am

Was in a little shop in Manhattan last night and they had Weller 12 for $250, 4R 130th for $500, 4R Elliot's for $400...

...and Parker's Heritage Wheated (8th ed iirc) for $130, which I would've snagged except how would I have gotten it home to socal today?
The only way to true guitar mastery is to buy more gear. The more expensive your gear, and the more you have, the better a guitar player you will be.

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3356 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 17th, 2019, 11:43 am

Another Bourbon rickhouse collapsed about midnight last night. The O.Z. Tyler Distillery in Owensboro, Ky., appears to have lost about 4500 barrels; I don't know if they attempt to salvage any in such a situation. Fortunately no people were hurt or killed.

Image

Image

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18133
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3357 Post by Alan Rath » June 17th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Holy crap. Is land so expensive around there they they have to resort to a "structure" like this?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3358 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 17th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I don't think the issue is land. Margins on Bourbon production used to be quite a bit lower than they are now. And building codes in decades past were pretty slack, compared to what they are now...so the structural supports in those rickhouses are all wooden (mostly oak), with no steel reinforcement. Since a barrel of Bourbon weighs about 520 pounds, if 4500 barrels fell, they represent 2,344,500 pounds of load, which seems a lot even for stout oak beams.

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3359 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Dan Kimmelman wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 3:34 am
Was in a little shop in Manhattan last night and they had Weller 12 for $250, 4R 130th for $500, 4R Elliot's for $400...

...and Parker's Heritage Wheated (8th ed iirc) for $130, which I would've snagged except how would I have gotten it home to socal today?
those weller and 4R prices are way out of whack, i bought same for $35 and $199 last week
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3360 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Holy crap. Is land so expensive around there they they have to resort to a "structure" like this?
Scary, where are the floors !!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3361 Post by Edward H. Earles » June 18th, 2019, 4:30 am

Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:40 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Holy crap. Is land so expensive around there they they have to resort to a "structure" like this?
Scary, where are the floors !!
They are splinters amidst the fallen barrels.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4198
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3362 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 28th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Adam Noble wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 4:34 pm
I saw the pot still for I think $80 post tax, and the Willet Rye small batch for around $100 also post tax. I didn't buy either one.
Total Wine in Bellevue has the 750 at $59.99 ($69), the 1.75 at $96.99 ($122.47) and the willett family estate Rye...
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 686
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3363 Post by JulianD » June 29th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Dan Kimmelman wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 3:34 am
Was in a little shop in Manhattan last night and they had Weller 12 for $250, 4R 130th for $500, 4R Elliot's for $400...

...and Parker's Heritage Wheated (8th ed iirc) for $130, which I would've snagged except how would I have gotten it home to socal today?
those weller and 4R prices are way out of whack, i bought same for $35 and $199 last week
Must be nice, I’ve never even seen them on shelves
Davies

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3364 Post by Alan Eden » June 29th, 2019, 11:03 pm

JulianD wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm
Dan Kimmelman wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 3:34 am
Was in a little shop in Manhattan last night and they had Weller 12 for $250, 4R 130th for $500, 4R Elliot's for $400...

...and Parker's Heritage Wheated (8th ed iirc) for $130, which I would've snagged except how would I have gotten it home to socal today?
those weller and 4R prices are way out of whack, i bought same for $35 and $199 last week
Must be nice, I’ve never even seen them on shelves
Neither have I, only way i get them is via a ten year relationship at same store buying regularly.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3365 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 3rd, 2019, 2:21 am

Major fire at Jim Beam bourbon warehouse in Woodford County

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Barre ... 56632.html

User avatar
Bill Buitenhuys
Posts: 104
Joined: March 15th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix metro

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3366 Post by Bill Buitenhuys » July 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 2:21 am
Major fire at Jim Beam bourbon warehouse in Woodford County

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Barre ... 56632.html
I hope Mila Kunis is safe
itb | @AZBittersLab

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3367 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 3rd, 2019, 9:32 am

45,000 barrels up in smoke...

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3368 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 3rd, 2019, 4:24 pm

Image

This is turning into an environmental disaster. The non-muddy liquid you see in this photo of the Kentucky River is cask-strength Bourbon, mixed with some water from the fire department, and charcoal. Millions of fish will die, and the tens of thousands of people whose water supply is drawn from the river downstream will experience....well, who-knows-what....

Image
(photo: Seattle Times)

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 686
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3369 Post by JulianD » July 5th, 2019, 8:20 am

Distillery will have to pay for cleanup/environmental costs, right?
Davies

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3370 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 5th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I imagine so. By the way, Jim Beam announced that those 45,000 barrels amounted to only 1% of their Bourbon inventory!!

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3371 Post by Alan Eden » July 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm

So they have 600 million bottles in inventory, the homeless of America will always have something to drink !!!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4044
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3372 Post by Kris Patten » July 6th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm
So they have 600 million bottles in inventory, the homeless of America will always have something to drink !!!
Think your number is a bit light.
ITB

User avatar
Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 7:58 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3373 Post by Chuck Miller » July 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm

It’s amazing how much bourbon prices can vary state to state, I assume mostly due to liquor taxes. In WA state we have some of the highest liquor taxes around. As an example, Basil Hayden can retail in Wa for well over $50. Costco sells it for about $44. I’m on a driving trip across the N. states, and bought a bottle for $54 in Missoula, Mt. A few days later, I bought a bottle in Brandon SD that was on the shelf at $27 plus tax, so just over $30 all in. Here in MN at my hometown liquor store, I think it’s around $30 on the shelf, so last year when I was here, I had them order 24 btls for me. They happily did so and gave me a case discount, PLUS a free bottle for every dozen btls of bourbon you buy, and I paid all in $26 inc. taxes and happily drove them home in my car. Saved well over $400 compared to Costco. I’m here again and plan to do it all over again.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4044
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3374 Post by Kris Patten » July 8th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm
It’s amazing how much bourbon prices can vary state to state, I assume mostly due to liquor taxes. In WA state we have some of the highest liquor taxes around. As an example, Basil Hayden can retail in Wa for well over $50. Costco sells it for about $44. I’m on a driving trip across the N. states, and bought a bottle for $54 in Missoula, Mt. A few days later, I bought a bottle in Brandon SD that was on the shelf at $27 plus tax, so just over $30 all in. Here in MN at my hometown liquor store, I think it’s around $30 on the shelf, so last year when I was here, I had them order 24 btls for me. They happily did so and gave me a case discount, PLUS a free bottle for every dozen btls of bourbon you buy, and I paid all in $26 inc. taxes and happily drove them home in my car. Saved well over $400 compared to Costco. I’m here again and plan to do it all over again.
WA has highest taxes in country. Almost 45% higher than #2.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2018032 ... uor-01.png
ITB

User avatar
PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3230
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3375 Post by PeterH » July 8th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 9:21 pm
Chuck Miller wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm
It’s amazing how much bourbon prices can vary state to state, I assume mostly due to liquor taxes. In WA state we have some of the highest liquor taxes around. As an example, Basil Hayden can retail in Wa for well over $50. Costco sells it for about $44. I’m on a driving trip across the N. states, and bought a bottle for $54 in Missoula, Mt. A few days later, I bought a bottle in Brandon SD that was on the shelf at $27 plus tax, so just over $30 all in. Here in MN at my hometown liquor store, I think it’s around $30 on the shelf, so last year when I was here, I had them order 24 btls for me. They happily did so and gave me a case discount, PLUS a free bottle for every dozen btls of bourbon you buy, and I paid all in $26 inc. taxes and happily drove them home in my car. Saved well over $400 compared to Costco. I’m here again and plan to do it all over again.
WA has highest taxes in country. Almost 45% higher than #2.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2018032 ... uor-01.png
Similar with cigarettes, sales, and inheritance tax. It all has to do with not having an income tax. I try to be relaxed in my attitude to WA state consumption taxes. I didn't feel that way back when I had below average income.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4044
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3376 Post by Kris Patten » July 9th, 2019, 8:47 pm

PeterH wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 9:21 pm
Chuck Miller wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm
It’s amazing how much bourbon prices can vary state to state, I assume mostly due to liquor taxes. In WA state we have some of the highest liquor taxes around. As an example, Basil Hayden can retail in Wa for well over $50. Costco sells it for about $44. I’m on a driving trip across the N. states, and bought a bottle for $54 in Missoula, Mt. A few days later, I bought a bottle in Brandon SD that was on the shelf at $27 plus tax, so just over $30 all in. Here in MN at my hometown liquor store, I think it’s around $30 on the shelf, so last year when I was here, I had them order 24 btls for me. They happily did so and gave me a case discount, PLUS a free bottle for every dozen btls of bourbon you buy, and I paid all in $26 inc. taxes and happily drove them home in my car. Saved well over $400 compared to Costco. I’m here again and plan to do it all over again.
WA has highest taxes in country. Almost 45% higher than #2.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2018032 ... uor-01.png
Similar with cigarettes, sales, and inheritance tax. It all has to do with not having an income tax. I try to be relaxed in my attitude to WA state consumption taxes. I didn't feel that way back when I had below average income.
Exactly, you're gonna get pinched one way or another, at least WA targets vices!
ITB

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 736
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3377 Post by Edward H. Earles » July 11th, 2019, 3:48 am

Jim Beam to face fines after fire leads to environmental problems

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Jim-B ... 47032.html

User avatar
Dan Kimmelman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 515
Joined: August 17th, 2009, 8:53 am
Location: Moorpark, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3378 Post by Dan Kimmelman » July 11th, 2019, 4:04 am

Edward H. Earles wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 3:48 am
Jim Beam to face fines after fire leads to environmental problems

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Jim-B ... 47032.html
"Those clowns at Beam don't know shit about corporate risk management!" - PG&E Exec, probably
The only way to true guitar mastery is to buy more gear. The more expensive your gear, and the more you have, the better a guitar player you will be.

JunoS
Posts: 3
Joined: July 11th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3379 Post by JunoS » July 11th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Had the latest pinhook cask strength purple wax and Four Roses Small Batch select. Bothe great bourbons without the hefty secondary markups
S o n g

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11475
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3380 Post by alan weinberg » July 15th, 2019, 8:55 am


User avatar
Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 974
Joined: July 29th, 2009, 7:36 am
Location: Chicago

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3381 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » July 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 8:55 am
Interesting story: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... li=BBnb7Kw
Funny, I’m sitting here with a copy of “Bourbon +” magazine (impulse purchase at the grocery store), and Uncle Nearest is the cover story. “Maple charcoal filtering” doesn’t sound like a recipe for a whiskey I’d enjoy, but it’s a good story.

User avatar
Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 974
Joined: July 29th, 2009, 7:36 am
Location: Chicago

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3382 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » July 19th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Drinking a barrel select Four Roses from Warehouse Liquors (Chicago). I think Four Roses single barrels may be the best deal going in bourbon right now. For my palate, which runs a little hot these days, only Bookers comes close.
Attachments
1CA66E67-2FF6-4ED7-9540-277ECD945BF0.jpeg

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”