What are you drinking in homage of the demise of eBob? 1995 Ch. Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre for me.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

What are you drinking in homage of the demise of eBob? 1995 Ch. Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre for me.

#1 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm

I chose a Bordeaux that he would certainly not like:

1995 Chateau Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre.

This is a fantastic wine. A throw-back to a different style of Bordeaux. An anachronism by today’s standards.

A gorgeous perfume of smoky tobacco, dried red fruits, and an earthy, barnyard note that I posit is not brett. Think worn saddle leather sitting on an old plank fence in the high sun of summer. Following a summer rainstorm. Petrichor. Palate is lithe like a quarter horse, sinewy strands of red fruits rippling like muscle. Blood orange citrus notes, crisp acid keeping the wine agile, in motion. Tannins mostly resolved.

Outstanding.

(94 pts.)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What are you drinking in homage of the demise of eBob? 1995 Ch. Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre for me.

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 1st, 2019, 5:12 pm

70430B0A-F53F-40AE-9FC0-9221362E02C3.jpeg

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What are you drinking in homage of the demise of eBob? 1995 Ch. Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre for me.

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

2007 CdP en magnum
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

With some uni?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jim F » July 1st, 2019, 5:32 pm

Maybe not the kind of answer you were looking for, but a 2014 Seavey cabernet. I decided I do not like these aged, so enjoying it for its youthful fruit and power. Black and red cherries, some fine tannins, maybe a hint of cola and/ or coffee beans.
Jim Freeman

Victor Hong

#6 Post by Victor Hong » July 1st, 2019, 6:13 pm

Something to pair with skewered and roasted beef.....a Japanese recipe, sort of....
WineHunter.

Fred Bower

#7 Post by Fred Bower » July 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm

I'm drinking 2013 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot from 500mL for no reason other than it was in reach and not a full 750mL. No homage here. I came to eBob through Squires eZine (was not on Prodigy). I loved the community and was never a Parker subscriber/acolyte so largely sat in the bleachers for the pro/con wars. I was irked that the notes I posted were black-holed upon erection of the paywall, but I moved on. I still remember the great wines, notes or no.

Honestly, I quit the Internet for awhile after the paywall. I lurked here for at least a year before picking up the keyboard again.

Cheers,
fred

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Julian Marshall » July 2nd, 2019, 12:47 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm

This is a fantastic wine. A throw-back to a different style of Bordeaux. An anachronism by today’s standards.

A gorgeous perfume of smoky tobacco, dried red fruits, and an earthy, barnyard note that I posit is not brett. Think worn saddle leather sitting on an old plank fence in the high sun of summer. Following a summer rainstorm. Petrichor. Palate is lithe like a quarter horse, sinewy strands of red fruits rippling like muscle. Blood orange citrus notes, crisp acid keeping the wine agile, in motion. Tannins mostly resolved.

Outstanding.

(94 pts.)
Excellent choice! I had one a couple of weeks ago - the perfect summer wine, full of wild strawberry and crushed raspberry, but elegant and restrained. Hard to go back to "normal" Bordeaux after drinking that.

I didn't open it on purpose, but the wine I enjoyed last night would also have given him the heebiejeebies - Clos de Turpenay 2012 from Château de Coulaine in Chinon - excellent and much the same idea as BAMA.

Actually I sometimes wonder whether or not he would have hated these wines: I think perhaps that back in the beginning before he took himself too seriously, he might well have at least appreciated their qualities, but towards the end, certainly not, since they represent everything he apparently came to despise: originality, non-conformism, taste fashioned by terroir as opposed to barrels. Now the Bastille has fallen into the hands of the Sans Culottes, it's somewhat ironic to see some people still championing the kind of ubiquitous straitjacket of taste that was fostered on us all by his acolytes the "consultants". Nobody has to like BAMA and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with those SHL/Pape Clément/Lascombes (add the name of your choice from the long list) wines, except that they all follow the same recipe.

Oh, but lest we forget, Domaine de Chevalier has just produced its best wine "ever", along with all the other clones. I suppose that's the ultimate irony - clones being judged perfect by a clone.

Vive la Révolution!

Carlos Delpin

#9 Post by Carlos Delpin » July 2nd, 2019, 5:27 am

Faiveley Clos de la Roche

markjchambers

#10 Post by markjchambers » July 2nd, 2019, 6:56 am

Yellow Tail Shiraz. He was all in on Aussie shiraz back in the day.

Gerhard P.

#11 Post by Gerhard P. » July 2nd, 2019, 7:13 am

I would nothing nothing at all to salute MS ... but a lot for RMPs retirement ... the latter has tought me lot about wine over the last 30 years ... [cheers.gif] ...
but I won´t miss MS and his board at all.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Blake Brown » July 2nd, 2019, 7:17 am

water
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Bob Kaminski

#13 Post by Bob Kaminski » July 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am

A declaration of independence from ebob was done some time ago, but the ebob board closing was always about when not if. I am surprised it lasted this long. Perhaps some Marquis Phillips Shiraz would be in order.

BobH

#14 Post by BobH » July 2nd, 2019, 7:46 am

The Wine Advocate actually has very nice things to say about this Chateau, which I will admit to not being familiar with.
hud@k

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Julian Marshall » July 2nd, 2019, 8:22 am

BobH wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:46 am
The Wine Advocate actually has very nice things to say about this Chateau, which I will admit to not being familiar with.
Really?! I'm no longer a subscriber, but I'd be very interested to know what they say! I know William Kelley is a fan, but I certainly didn't know that RMP ever was.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Anton D » July 2nd, 2019, 8:51 am

Popped a magnum of 1921 Château Petrus, Parker gave it 100 points!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Paul Miller » July 2nd, 2019, 9:07 am

2016 Sojourn Home Ranch Cab

Discovered Sojourn and met Craig through eBob.

Steen T Olsen

#18 Post by Steen T Olsen » July 2nd, 2019, 9:11 am

Probably one of the Léovilles or another Saint Julien or maybe Saint Éstephe in memory of the Worldwide Virtual Tastings back in the 00s on eBob, instigated by myself, Roel van Gestel and Adam Flint.. I seem to remember quite a few members from this Board participating back then. One could probably say that WB is the new eBob and has been for a while..
Last edited by Steen T Olsen on July 2nd, 2019, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tots Units Fem Forca

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Kevin Porter » July 2nd, 2019, 9:13 am

Some attenuated, weak-@ss swill only loved by the anti-flavor wine elite - perhaps something from Steve Edmunds. That, or '07 CNdP 'en magnum' with......

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 2nd, 2019, 9:49 am

BobH wrote:
William Kelley’s recent write-up?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by M.Kaplan » July 2nd, 2019, 10:37 am

Sierra Carche [cheers.gif]
---Mark

Walt Hoehler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Walt Hoehler » July 2nd, 2019, 11:49 am

A McManus Petite Syrah?
Perhaps Sierra Carche?
Maybe Emilio Morro or a Priorato?
Montille, Harlan, SQN, Clos de Papes?

Maybe just a raspberry milkshake.

Gareth Welch

#23 Post by Gareth Welch » July 2nd, 2019, 12:55 pm

Was it a Valtellina tasting many moons ago that got Roberto Rogness and many others apoplectic when Bob scored nothing above 78pts?

That would seem appropriate. champagne.gif

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J a y H a c k » July 2nd, 2019, 2:21 pm

2004 Las Rocas. My last bottle was lost at the back of my Morton's wine locker and when they closed, I assumed it was gone. A few years later, they reopened in another location. I made a joke to the manager and he told me he had an old box with my name on it. I brought it home and put it in the basement. This seems fitting, since Bob was a big Advocate of that wine

The truth is, I generally aligned with Parker's palate and except when he made stupid assembly errors, like when he issued a Bordeaux report and 100 of the reviews were identical, I liked his assessments. He seemed to have a bad habit of surrounding himself with people of dubious distinction at best and the organization and administration of the bulletin board left a lot to be desired, to say the least. As he got older, he also seemed to get cranky himself, which didn't help matters. At least if EBob dies, I won't have to worry about reading more bad legal advice from Mark Squires, who once even refused to shake my hand when we were introduced by an innocent wine distributor who didn't know the history.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by J a y H a c k » July 2nd, 2019, 2:22 pm

Gareth Welch wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 12:55 pm
. . . Roberto Rogness . . .
Speaking of which, whatever happened to him.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 2nd, 2019, 2:25 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:22 pm
Gareth Welch wrote:
Unfortunately he is unwell.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 2nd, 2019, 4:27 pm

Anton D wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:51 am
Popped a magnum of 1921 Château Petrus, Parker gave it 100 points!
Mine was the 1947 in magnum. I got like two cases.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by J a y H a c k » July 2nd, 2019, 6:33 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:25 pm
J a y H a c k wrote:
Gareth Welch wrote:
Unfortunate. I liked his posts, even when I disagreed with him.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Julian Marshall » July 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 9:49 am
BobH wrote:
WK is certainly a fan of BAMA and has written articles about it in the past, but as far as I can see, he hasn't done so for TWA. The only mention there of BAMA seems to be a tasting note of the 1970 by Neal Martin a couple of years ago. Perhaps Bob was thinking of Vinous, where as you know NM published an excellent report last year. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I was just curious.

William Kelley

#30 Post by William Kelley » July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am

Julian Marshall wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
BobH wrote:
WK is certainly a fan of BAMA and has written articles about it in the past, but as far as I can see, he hasn't done so for TWA. The only mention there of BAMA seems to be a tasting note of the 1970 by Neal Martin a couple of years ago. Perhaps Bob was thinking of Vinous, where as you know NM published an excellent report last year. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I was just curious.
That bottle of the 1970 that Neal tasted was from my cellar!

But no, I've never written about Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre for TWA, only for Noble Rot a few years back.
The Wine Advocate

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Julian Marshall » July 3rd, 2019, 7:45 am

William Kelley wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am
Julian Marshall wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

That bottle of the 1970 that Neal tasted was from my cellar!

But no, I've never written about Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre for TWA, only for Noble Rot a few years back.
Thanks for clarifying that, William - and for your regular contributions here, which are always much appreciated.

BobH

#32 Post by BobH » July 3rd, 2019, 1:28 pm

Julian Marshall wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:22 am
BobH wrote:
Really?! I'm no longer a subscriber, but I'd be very interested to know what they say! I know William Kelley is a fan, but I certainly didn't know that RMP ever was.
Neal Martin refers to it as a lost gem. Bob Parker only has a brief mention of it in his book, saying it is worthy of its status of a cru borgeois exceptionalle. I think the idea thrown up originally that he wouldn't like it is likely false and just a straw man, especially as he is clear that the old style Haut Brion my be his all time favorite wine. But I also know that I open myself to much derision by making such statements.
hud@k

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 3rd, 2019, 1:32 pm

I would be surprised if Uncle Bob, post-2000, liked this wine. At all.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

BobH

#34 Post by BobH » July 3rd, 2019, 1:37 pm

I only ever tasted with Uncle Bob one time back in 2003, but it was quite apparent to me that he appreciates the full and broad range of wines that are available. He seemed to be very catholic in his approach to wine, able to talk about what he liked about any wine that he considered a good wine regardless of style.
hud@k

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by David Glasser » July 3rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

We’re at the beach and I forgot to pack the wine bag. [blush.gif]

Fortunately there’s a good (but expensive) store 2 blocks away. I picked up a bottle from a quintessential big, buttery, oaky California Chardonnay producer that Parker introduced me to and which was a favorite back in my formative years: Kistler. They had the 2017 Noisetiers on the shelf. We'll drink it tomorrow on the balcony with a late dinner watching the fireworks and raise a toasty oak toast to the guy who made wine fun and exciting just when we were getting into it.

D. HEIN

#37 Post by D. HEIN » July 3rd, 2019, 9:27 pm

JH,

"At least if EBob dies, I won't have to worry about reading more bad legal advice from Mark Squires"

OR arrogant, demeaning, rude rants!

Pass the "2 Buck Chuck" please, the only apropos selection I can think of!
Donn Hein

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Howard Cooper » July 4th, 2019, 7:18 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 5:09 pm

Outstanding.

(94 pts.)
A 1995??? I thought they were all charmless. You should have had a 2019 - the best vintage yet. Or a 2003 Pavie.
Last edited by Howard Cooper on July 4th, 2019, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Howard Cooper » July 4th, 2019, 7:18 am

Carlos Delpin wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:27 am
Faiveley Clos de la Roche
[winner.gif]
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Howard Cooper » July 4th, 2019, 7:20 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
Gareth Welch wrote:
Sorry to read that.
Howard

Jürgen Steinke

#41 Post by Jürgen Steinke » July 5th, 2019, 4:28 am

I know it is senseless but anyway: To describe Parker as someone who gave high scores to modernists, blockbusters and overoaked plonk only is fake news and bad journalism. His favorite Bordeaux, as he said very often, is Haut Brion. Hardly a blockbuster and an over the top wine. His favorite Cru Bourgeoise were the 80th Meyney, Gloria and Poujeaux. As traditional as it gets. His favorite Northern Rhone was Chave. A traditionalist. His favorite CdP was Rayas. As traditional as it gets. His favorite Barolo producer was Giacosa. A traditionalist. I could go on and on ... .

Sure – he thought modernists like Valandraud, Gaja, Magrez, Pavie etc. make fine wines too in a different style. But what is wrong with that? You don't like these wines? That's ok. But it has nothing to do with Parkers abilities to taste.

Another story is his behavior on the old BB. I changed private Emails with him when he wrote I am too thin skinned because I complained about his sometimes aggressive tone in discussions. In fact I thought it was completely the other way round and he was too thin skinned and could not stomach even the slightest critic expressed by me or someone else. That was his weak side.

He answered when asked what wines he likes most: Anything good. That is a smart answer for a wine critic who tries to be as objective as possible and reaching a big as possible crowd.

I think fairness is important. Everywhere. Parker was and is not judged fair in many cases. He is human with advantages and disadvantages. This is something he shares with all of us. But he was a superb and successful wine expert and critic.

Jonathan Loesberg

#42 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » July 5th, 2019, 6:07 am

Jurgen is right that Parker did like some (I emphasize some) front line traditional producers. On another board, I once argued against using the principle that if Parker gave it a good review one should stay away as condemning one to stay away from too many great wines. But once one left those front line wines, that advice could be followed more safely. As an obvious example, if one was looking for great Loire reds, Parker was less than useless. Same really for grower Beaujolais, although in that case, the problem was mostly lack of coverage. And there was, of course, his review of Edmund St. John, which seemed largely motivated by a desire to get back at the fans of those wines for criticizing him. And his taste for over the top manipulated wine would have been more a matter of taste if one could tell from his tasting notes what kind of wine he was reviewing. Others have said they can. I must say I never could. And that was a lot of ands.

BobH

#43 Post by BobH » July 5th, 2019, 6:59 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 4:28 am
I know it is senseless but anyway: To describe Parker as someone who gave high scores to modernists, blockbusters and overoaked plonk only is fake news and bad journalism. His favorite Bordeaux, as he said very often, is Haut Brion. Hardly a blockbuster and an over the top wine. His favorite Cru Bourgeoise were the 80th Meyney, Gloria and Poujeaux. As traditional as it gets. His favorite Northern Rhone was Chave. A traditionalist. His favorite CdP was Rayas. As traditional as it gets. His favorite Barolo producer was Giacosa. A traditionalist. I could go on and on ... .

Sure – he thought modernists like Valandraud, Gaja, Magrez, Pavie etc. make fine wines too in a different style. But what is wrong with that? You don't like these wines? That's ok. But it has nothing to do with Parkers abilities to taste.
That was the exact point I made above. Just because he liked a wine that you don't like, does not mean he does not like the wines that you like. It seems the wine interwebz is too often oriented around 'My style of wine is better than your style of wine'. Bob Parker is someone who has the ability to appreciate wine in all of the many forms it may come in.
hud@k

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 5th, 2019, 7:31 am

Do you both think that was true in the later stages of his career? I do not. I followed Parker for years, say 1992-2000, then took a wine hiatus. I came back in/around 2005, joined eBob and reads his review, and either his palate was quite different, mine was, the market changed, or more likely, all of the above. Although, I think my palate from 92-99 is quite similar to where it is now. When I came back to the wine arena, I bought a lot of things blindly based on my prior perception of Parker, and many of those purchases turned out to be terrible for me.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

BobH

#45 Post by BobH » July 5th, 2019, 7:40 am

His last vintage of Bordeaux was 2010. That was a more classic old school type vintage (as opposed to 2009). He gave the wines raving high scores but that was kind of a gimme- everyone rated them high. But go back to 2008 and look at ratings for old school Bordeaux such as Haut Bailly which he gave 96 points. That is just off the top of my head I am sure there are more examples.
hud@k

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Howard Cooper » July 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 4:28 am

But it did make him much less valuable as a wine critic to me than he was in the early to mid-1980s. I don't really care whether a wine critic is right or wrong, whatever that means. I care whether following his recommendations helps me buy wines that I will enjoy. I stopped subscribing to the WA years ago because his reviews were not useful to me, and I really don't care whether he was right or wrong in some metaphysical sense.
Howard

Jonathan Loesberg

#47 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » July 5th, 2019, 8:27 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:31 am
Do you both think that was true in the later stages of his career? I do not. I followed Parker for years, say 1992-2000, then took a wine hiatus. I came back in/around 2005, joined eBob and reads his review, and either his palate was quite different, mine was, the market changed, or more likely, all of the above. Although, I think my palate from 92-99 is quite similar to where it is now. When I came back to the wine arena, I bought a lot of things blindly based on my prior perception of Parker, and many of those purchases turned out to be terrible for me.
Parker gave high points to front line traditionalists for as long as I read him (through maybe 05), and to the extent that I was aware, to the end. You might not have been that aware of that because you'd hardly need to read Parker to decide what you thought of Rayas, Chave or Haut Brion, if you were in the market for that level of wine. Even at the level below that, I would guess he liked Montrose or Pichon Lalande as much as you do. The reason you may be less aware of that is that you were probably looking at Parker to find you good wines that you didn't know about or read his view of the whole line up of bordeaux or whatever. And for that, if your tastes were AFWE, he was like a stopped clock. He could be right, but you couldn't depend on him.

I don't see that he had any responsibility to review for AFWE people. If his position had been this is the taste that mine, probably everybody would have accepted that. But that was never his tone.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 5th, 2019, 9:03 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 8:27 am
The reason you may be less aware of that is that you were probably looking at Parker to find you good wines that you didn't know about or read his view of the whole line up of bordeaux or whatever. And for that, if your tastes were AFWE, he was like a stopped clock. He could be right, but you couldn't depend on him.
There is some serious merit to that statement, though I still believe his palate changed significantly as he aged. I think his call on 2007 CDP and his canonization of Cambie, Rolland, et al., was symptomatic of that change. Incidentally, I experienced my father's palate changing the exact same way, same exact time. My Dad, who introduced me to classic French wines, once he hit his 70s, which was around the release of the 2007 CDP vintage, went hard right as well. More and more he started preferring bigger, more high-octane wines and being more appreciated of oak notes. My dad calls the 2007 Clos des Papes the greatest wine he has ever had. I served it to him a few years ago.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 5th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Timely note from the Oracle himself . . . .
7/5/2019 - KEITH LEVENBERG LIKES THIS WINE: 95 Points
Really glad I gave this wine another chance. A bottle I opened 2 or 3 years ago was not only entirely without fruit, it felt entirely without anything at all. This one, by contrast, not only has plenty of personality, it's actually quite friendly, barely needing any time at all to get into gear despite the horror stories I have heard about day-long decants. The texture and evolved state are reminiscent of a Lopez de Heredia - it's possible I've compared some Bordeaux to Heredia in the past, but it can't possibly have been more apt than it is here - with an array of characterful flavors built on a base of black... fruit? nah, well, it's blackish *something*... with almost Barolo-like botanicals. Most of the tannin seems to have melted away, leaving a slender figure with a slick and silky presence that's basically weightless and ridiculously easy to drink. This is real wine. To call it a throwback doesn't begin to capture it.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » July 5th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
Gareth Welch wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear that. He was entertaining, informative, and (in the best sense) opinionated. I bought a mixed case or two from him over the years as well, very idiosyncratic selections.

Return to “Wine Talk”