Mark Squires' BB to close for good - UPDATED (WA sold to Michelin)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jonathan Loesberg

Re: Mark Squires' BB to close for good

#51 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » July 1st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 12:18 pm
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:01 am
The kind of back and forth between Jeff Leve and Robert Alfert,
Do I have to choose between them???? [scratch.gif] [wow.gif]
Yes, absolutely. It would be a complete harshing of a perfectly good mellow to avoid further inciting their Abbot and Costello routine as much as humanly possible.
Last edited by Jonathan Loesberg on July 1st, 2019, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Anton D » July 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

Dude!

[worship.gif] "Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance".....Mark Squires
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

GregT

#53 Post by GregT » July 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

It's a real shame IMO. Pretty inevitable once they went subscription only.

Many of the people I "know" from this board I met over there. And Bob used to poke in once in a while to add to the discussion, as did a number of Europeans ITB, including a number of producers, although maybe that's just my faulty memory. Mark was never a left-wing liberal, so a lot of people disliked him simply for that, and he could be petty. As an individual though, he was funny and could be quite good company.

At some point people started disagreeing with Parker on various wines. Respectfully at first, but I think when he started adding other reviewers, that's when the big break came. When he hired Big Jay and said it was based on the fact that Jay was a friend, that was a bit much for many people. Jay may have been a perfectly fine guy, but he commanded zero respect as a wine critic. And Mark's pettiness grew increasingly bitter. To be sure, a lot of people started posting simply to bother him, and in fact, said as much. So Mark started banning those people, which in turn caused more criticism of the board.

And then people started outright disagreeing with and insulting Parker himself. A good deal of it was in response to his PWI rants and tweets, but he couldn't seem to take any criticism, which is ironic for a critic. I don't know if it was meds, hubris, age, intoxication, or whatever, but that affable guy kind of disappeared.

And I thought Mark took the hit for Bob a number of times. He started the site as a place to discuss wine, just like this place. Bob realized he should have a forum so asked Mark to host it for him. From what I've been told, Bob was the one who closed it down and wanted to do so earlier than he did, but Mark kept it open because it happened to be his baby, not Bob's. Maybe Bob figured that his name and reputation would keep subscribers, but in a single stroke, he destroyed what should have been a thriving forum contributing to a thriving business.

Too bad but hey, life goes on.

Any predictions as to how long the WA itself will continue as an enterprise? I give it maybe two years. I have nothing against the folks at the WA. I've always liked Joe and hope he's going to end up somewhere good.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2019, 3:01 pm

Henry Kiichli wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:10 am
What? It's still alive? I thought it died years ago...
It did. They’re finally getting around to burying it.
Pretty fast response IMO, especially if compared to their release of MyWines.

Snarkiness aside, it was a fun and vibrant board before moving to eRP. It grew rapidly with the move and suffered some growing pains. Thin skin and a heavy hand with moderation in response to the conflicts that arose started a downward spiral.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Frank Murray III » July 1st, 2019, 3:26 pm

That BB is where I started Falltacular 12 years ago, as well as planted the seeds for the wine network I enjoy now, one I am grateful for every day. The original friends I made on that BB, created the branches to meet others, and some of the truly finest people I know are part of this WBer forum and my friends today.

I never had any issues with the leadership on that BB but it has been apparent for some time that others did. It brings me back then to one key point, and one I know is missing in our culture today, and that is the importance of respect within leadership, and why diverse POVs matter. Turning a deaf ear, not listening to an alternative POV and humiliating others can only go on for so long before people turn away.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Victor Hong

#56 Post by Victor Hong » July 1st, 2019, 3:29 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:01 pm
Henry Kiichli wrote:

Snarkiness aside, it was a fun and vibrant board before moving to eRP. It grew rapidly with the move and suffered some growing pains. Thin skin and a heavy hand with moderation in response to the conflicts that arose started a downward spiral.
We sat at the same table, during the 2005 Robert Parker luncheon, in the Baltimore Inner Harbor.
WineHunter.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 1st, 2019, 3:40 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 1:06 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:01 am
The kind of back and forth between Jeff Leve and Robert Alfert,
Yes, absolutely. It would be a complete harshing of a perfectly good mellow to avoid further inciting their Abbot and Costello routine as much as humanly possible.
More like Oscar and Felix.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by M.Kaplan » July 1st, 2019, 3:48 pm

I met many real life friends through the Squires BB. Among those, The X-Pensive Winos have been having monthly dinners together and more for close to 15 years. I’m content to let the BB die in peace, although I won’t mourn its passing.

William Kelley is a fine wine writer and I wish him well. If he ends up writing for another platform, I’ll subscribe.
---Mark

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Scott Brunson » July 1st, 2019, 3:49 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:11 am
Wow, Todder gonna be a millionaire with all these new subscribers!

;)
[smileyvault-ban.gif]
neener
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Joel Pulver

#60 Post by Joel Pulver » July 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm

R.I.P.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2019, 4:30 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:29 pm
David Glasser wrote:
Henry Kiichli wrote:

We sat at the same table, during the 2005 Robert Parker luncheon, in the Baltimore Inner Harbor.
I remember it well, Victor. That was one of several memorable offlines, some with Bob Parker and others with Mark Squires and the Philadelphia and NJ crew back in the antebellum days. I met a lot of people through that board, a fair number in person and that I consider friends. I met Ron Kramer in person the first time when I offered him a room in our home for one of the MacArthur California barrel tastings. My wife was sure I’d connected with an internet axe murderer until she met him.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2019, 4:35 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 3:40 pm
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

Who is who?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

mike basile
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by mike basile » July 1st, 2019, 4:36 pm

The Squires board was a great place to learn about wine. I lurked there for many years when my taste for wine grew, just absorbing the vast knowledge that was given willingly by so many. I am grateful to all who participated. It did not matter if I agreed or disagree with their tastes or opinions. I would have never found all the wines I have tried without the Squires board. It was really an entertaining place to expand your knowledge and taste.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2019, 4:39 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:30 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
David Glasser wrote:

I remember it well, Victor. That was one of several memorable offlines, some with Bob Parker and others with Mark Squires and the Philadelphia and NJ crew back in the antebellum days. I met a lot of people through that board, a fair number in person and that I consider friends. I met Ron Kramer in person the first time when I offered him a room in our home for one of the MacArthur California barrel tastings. My wife was sure I’d connected with an internet axe murderer until she met him.
David, I remember meeting you at a tasting at Lavandou. It was either the first or second offline I ever did. I also met a lot of people from that board including a decent number of people in my current wine tasting group. It was sad to see what happened to it.
Howard

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2019, 4:47 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:39 pm
David Glasser wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:

David, I remember meeting you at a tasting at Lavandou. It was either the first or second offline I ever did. I also met a lot of people from that board including a decent number of people in my current wine tasting group. It was sad to see what happened to it.
I remember that one too. I’d have stayed more connected to the DC group if it weren’t for the drive.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 1st, 2019, 4:58 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:35 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:

Who is who?
Well, I should be embarrassed to admit this, but life has its humor. My frat pledge name was Felix. Apparently I had a reputation quickly developed that I was a silver spoon baby and needed to have things done for me. I never attended the pledge work parties and got a hallpass from the cool brothers because, allegedly, I brought hot chicks around. In my defense, I was much more studly than the name implies. And given that I am more of a finicky palate than my friend Leve, who likes goopy stuff - like a frat boy with nachos and industrialized beer - the choice is pretty obvious. ;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#67 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 1st, 2019, 5:01 pm

Jeremy C wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 10:47 am
For those of us who were not part of that board, how did it compare (during its heyday) to this one?
It was compelling. A wealth of knowledge and a real wide cast of characters. I joined it in 2005 and it was a real learning experience. I did not even know that chat or bulletin boards existed - I had been caught up with single-parenting a then-11 year old and with establishing my label. I never had run ins with Parker nor Squires, but plenty of people did. I made lots of friends on that board, although there is an entire cadre that has not followed over here.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2019, 5:06 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:58 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:35 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Who is who?
Well, I should be embarrassed to admit this, but life has its humor. My frat pledge name was Felix. Apparently I had a reputation quickly developed that I was a silver spoon baby and needed to have things done for me. I never attended the pledge work parties and got a hallpass from the cool brothers because, allegedly, I brought hot chicks around. In my defense, I was much more studly than the name implies. And given that I am more of a finicky palate than my friend Leve, who likes goopy stuff - like a frat boy with nachos and industrialized beer - the choice is pretty obvious. ;)
I assume that your frat brothers would read this as blah, blah, blah he "brought hot chicks around."
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2019, 5:07 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:47 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
David Glasser wrote:

I remember that one too. I’d have stayed more connected to the DC group if it weren’t for the drive.
Yes. It is a shame about the distance. We used to have George come from Baltimore all the time, but he has not come to DC in several years. We miss him.
Howard

Arnold Caplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

RIP Mark Squires Wine Talk BB......

#70 Post by Arnold Caplan » July 1st, 2019, 5:54 pm

Forum will permanently close in 2 weeks
07-01-2019, 11:00 AM
This forum stopped being principally oriented as a peer-to-peer sharing site perhaps a decade ago, and was intended primarily to be have a supporting role for the pay site since then. We have better software for that now, a comments section tied to individual articles by reviewers, and social media better fills other needs for us. Several threads make it clear that no real purpose is well served by the existing software, i.e., the forum, and that is our view.

We are going forward solely with the upgraded software previously announced--the comments section. That will better fill the role of support and contact software that the forum was supposed to have, but never really filled well. We will send an email with further instructions on how to use it, if you haven't already tried it. In any event, this forum will be permanently closed in two weeks.

That's an official statement. How do I personally feel? Great. Not a trace of nostalgia. I liked other incarnations when they seemed appropriate. Their time passed. As I've made explicit in numerous threads over the last few years. I like far more these days social media, and have for some years. I think most of the reviewers do. Feel free to follow my Instagram feed, or my Facebook feed (it is maxed out for "friends," but you can "follow" and wine posts are always public). I know some won't agree--as those numerous threads point out. So be it. We do feel that social media and the comments section strike the right balance.
2016 WOTY
2003 Schrader Beckstoffer To-Kalon
2015 WOTY
2002 Harlan Estate
2014 WOTY
2007 Saxum JBV
2013 WOTY:
2005 Saxum James Berry Rocket Block
2012 WOTY:
1996 Salon
2011 WOTY:
2006 Marcassin Chardonnay

Your are what you drink.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: RIP Mark Squires Wine Talk BB......

#71 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm

Merging
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jim Brennan

#72 Post by Jim Brennan » July 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm

Julian Marshall wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 8:51 am
Just FYI, it was announced earlier today that the Mark Squires' BB will close for good on or around July 15th (if someone else has already posted about this, my apologies). It had been limping along for several years, so no real loss, but I couldn't help feeling a little nostalgic when I read the news. That this should be planned for the day after the commemoration of the taking of the Bastille is, I'm sure, pure coincidence. There are still one or two quality reviewers, notably William Kelley, but TWA does increasingly look like the Norwegian Blue parrot.
Can Mark open it temporarily to the public for well wishers?

I'd look forward to telling that little Parker-ass-kissing-quisling MFer to go F himself.

Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Brad Kane » July 1st, 2019, 6:15 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:

I remember meeting a bunch of great folks at the "Cult wine" offline at Steve Levy's place, in September of 1999, followed the next day by the Bordeaux gig at Cafe Matisse. Believe it or not, Ed Assidio's webpage about it is still up, though some of the links there are broken, such as my tasting notes which linked to the old board. The pics are still up, though. The Cult Wine Offline
itb.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 1st, 2019, 6:19 pm

Jim Brennan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm
Julian Marshall wrote:
Just FYI, it was announced earlier today that the Mark Squires' BB will close for good on or around July 15th (if someone else has already posted about this, my apologies). It had been limping along for several years, so no real loss, but I couldn't help feeling a little nostalgic when I read the news. That this should be planned for the day after the commemoration of the taking of the Bastille is, I'm sure, pure coincidence. There are still one or two quality reviewers, notably William Kelley, but TWA does increasingly look like the Norwegian Blue parrot.

I'd look forward to telling that little Parker-ass-kissing-quisling MFer to go F himself.
Squires just decided not to open it up.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by brigcampbell » July 1st, 2019, 6:24 pm

WB needs cutting software that has a "comments field"

Instructions on how to use will be sent soon.

LOL

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 1st, 2019, 6:29 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:19 pm
Jim Brennan wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm
Julian Marshall wrote:

Squires just decided not to open it up.
Smart move by Mark, as numerous posts here prove.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm

My post about not opening it up was a joke.

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Ken V » July 1st, 2019, 6:35 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 12:03 pm
What’s going to happen to MyWines?
[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 1st, 2019, 6:45 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm
I rest my case.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Tom DeBiase » July 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm

Brad Kane wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:15 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
David Glasser wrote:

I remember meeting a bunch of great folks at the "Cult wine" offline at Steve Levy's place, in September of 1999, followed the next day by the Bordeaux gig at Cafe Matisse. Believe it or not, Ed Assidio's webpage about it is still up, though some of the links there are broken, such as my tasting notes which linked to the old board. The pics are still up, though. The Cult Wine Offline
That was an offline to remember as well as the one at Cafe Matisse the next day. Met many fine people from Mark's and this board. Steve Levy was a character and very generous. I remember toward the end of the evening Steve opening several gems because he was determined not to let his soon to be divorced wife get her share of the wine.

The Offline at Charleston with Parker was another nice gathering of people from every area of the US.

If anyone wanted to put together a similar offline on the East Coast in memory of those good times we would gladly fly in from California to attend.

Tom

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2019, 7:54 pm

Tom DeBiase wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm
Brad Kane wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:

That was an offline to remember as well as the one at Cafe Matisse the next day. Met many fine people from Mark's and this board. Steve Levy was a character and very generous. I remember toward the end of the evening Steve opening several gems because he was determined not to let his soon to be divorced wife get her share of the wine.

The Offline at Charleston with Parker was another nice gathering of people from every area of the US.

If anyone wanted to put together a similar offline on the East Coast in memory of those good times we would gladly fly in from California to attend.

Tom
I remember meeting Gary Vaynerchuck for the first time at the Cult Wine Offline at Steve Levy's. He made quite an impression, like a hyperactive 12 year old - incredibly enthusiastic but we wondered if he was of legal drinking age.

C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by C. Bowman » July 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm

It seems like closing was only a matter of time, it follows the path of RP's exit and not a big surprise with all the changes and new reviewers that there's little familiarity with for collectors (IMO) but I do appreciate the people that I met and have continued friendships with mostly because of that board, some I'm sorry I said "You should join WB" lol!

OH and if any of you still have pending buys, sells, etc you might want to go in and make note of all the info.
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Tom Reddick » July 1st, 2019, 8:44 pm

It was a great board and up until the very end I felt like Mark did a great job. What really upset me was having zero warning before the switchover- and waiting a long time before the archive was available so I could copy and paste several hundred TNs that I was behind in putting in my books. After all the knowledge I and others shared- which gave great value to the board- I felt like the zero warning was a real betrayal. But even so, I will always be grateful to Mark for all the good years I had on that forum plus all the friendships I made. Nothing done in the transition will ever outdo the great things that came to me from that place.

Took me a while to feel comfortable sharing so much info again, but I am grateful for this BB now- and it is the only place I actively follow and post on wine. I generally avoid the controversy- or try to most of the time- and so for me I have to say over the past few years this forum has become just as great a side as the old Squires BB was. If I looked deep, maybe I could find differences- but as hobby BBs in general go, both WB now and Squires BB of old are about as well run and geared toward calling down BS versus the "everyone's opinion matters" PC nonsense as it gets.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Gary York

#84 Post by Gary York » July 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm

Kind of hard to miss something that has been gone for a long, long time.
ITB

Mark Mason

#85 Post by Mark Mason » July 2nd, 2019, 7:41 am

I was quite active on his board in my early days of learning about wine. I wish he'd "open" it up for the last two weeks in read only so I could go back and try to capture my contributions. I'm not going to pay a subscription fee for that. It was fun for a while.
Hard water fisherman

Steen T Olsen

#86 Post by Steen T Olsen » July 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am

Just renewed my eBob subscription some months ago. Why? Because of the few, but brilliant TN posters there on the Bulletin Board. The reviews? Not my main reason for being there. Anyway, just posted this on eBob:

"For a member like me, who likes reading this message board and actually considers social media as almost completely irrelevant, this development is quite disappointing. I can only say that I will miss this Board and the people who participated. This also means I will not be renewing my TWA subscription as the reviews are not the main reason I am here".
Tots Units Fem Forca

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Julian Marshall » July 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am

Well Steen, their loss is our gain - good to see you over here!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by John Morris » July 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am

It seems like the perfect time to say, "OK, folks, move along. Nothing to see here."

Although, at the time of the migration from eBob to Beserkers, this better summed up the state of affairs:

"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#89 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am

Steen T Olsen wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am
Just renewed my eBob subscription some months ago. Why? Because of the few, but brilliant TN posters there on the Bulletin Board. The reviews? Not my main reason for being there. Anyway, just posted this on eBob:

"For a member like me, who likes reading this message board and actually considers social media as almost completely irrelevant, this development is quite disappointing. I can only say that I will miss this Board and the people who participated. This also means I will not be renewing my TWA subscription as the reviews are not the main reason I am here".
I think it is very unlikely that he actually 'prefers' social media, as it's quite obviously no substitute for a forum discussion, which is laid out for this exact type of purpose (discussion) and easily searchable and indexable, whereas social media is all over the place. Otherwise, you think young, hip bros like Charlie Fu would stick around??

Methinks it's the equivalent of someone breaking up with you and you then state that you were going to break up with him/her anyway
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Steen T Olsen

#90 Post by Steen T Olsen » July 2nd, 2019, 9:39 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am
Steen T Olsen wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am

I think it is very unlikely that he actually 'prefers' social media, as it's quite obviously no substitute for a forum discussion, which is laid out for this exact type of purpose (discussion) and easily searchable and indexable, whereas social media is all over the place. Otherwise, you think young, hip bros like Charlie Fu would stick around??

Methinks it's the equivalent of someone breaking up with you and you then state that you were going to break up with him/her anyway

Very well put, Todd. I can only agree. I am quite disappointed to see them closing the Bulletin Board but not surprised. However, I am quite happy to see practically all eBob members have emigrated here [cheers.gif]
Tots Units Fem Forca

Steen T Olsen

#91 Post by Steen T Olsen » July 2nd, 2019, 9:40 am

Julian Marshall wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am
Well Steen, their loss is our gain - good to see you over here!
Thank you, Julian. Happy to be here [cheers.gif]
Tots Units Fem Forca

Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Brad Kane » July 2nd, 2019, 2:50 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 7:54 pm
Tom DeBiase wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:58 pm
Brad Kane wrote:

Tom
I remember meeting Gary Vaynerchuck for the first time at the Cult Wine Offline at Steve Levy's. He made quite an impression, like a hyperactive 12 year old - incredibly enthusiastic but we wondered if he was of legal drinking age.
I remember a bunch of us having that conversation! Hyperactive was the key word, though I think we all came away with the feeling that he was good guy with a lot of knowledge and savvy for someone his age at that time.
itb.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Gus Siokis » July 2nd, 2019, 3:10 pm

Not sure if the two are related but I received an email last week that WA was stopping their print edition and converting me to a online version effective immediately.
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Gary York

#94 Post by Gary York » July 2nd, 2019, 3:25 pm

TWA is like a big old tree that has been slowly dying for a long time. Several branches started dropping some time ago. This is the latest branch to split, break off and hit the ground. Very soon the main part of the trunk will topple over and that will be it.
ITB

Jim Brennan

#95 Post by Jim Brennan » July 2nd, 2019, 3:49 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:45 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 6:31 pm
I rest my case.
Damn you Tom, I'm sure he would have opened it too, had you not made that joke. [snort.gif]

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Dan Kravitz » July 2nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

I was an early member and frequent poster on the Parker / Squires board. I think at one point I was in the top 5 (or at least top 10) for number of posts. I found it an incredible resource for wine lovers. While this board certainly has (now) a broader reach, I think the combination of breadth and depth to the Parker board at its best was incomparable.

I met Mark Squires multiple times. I know one should not speak ill of the dead, but I found Mark Squires to be dead the first time I met him and he never came to life. Dour, dull, humorless (which he tried to disguise with his shirts), prissy, priggish, fussy, frustrated, rigid, censorious... I probably should not post this, but I think it may well have been him rather than Parker who killed the board. He is obviously not stupid, but he apparently set his sights on a job with Parker, achieved that goal, but I do not think it made him happy. Happy is not a word I would associate with Mark Squires. It makes me sad just to think of him. A sad end to what was once an excellent enterprise.

I am deeply grateful for this board. I am not on it very often, but enjoy both the tone and the wealth of information it offers.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Greg Harter

#97 Post by Greg Harter » July 2nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

Gus Siokis wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:10 pm
Not sure if the two are related but I received an email last week that WA was stopping their print edition and converting me to a online version effective immediately.
I didn't renew about 2 years ago after having been a member for about 20 years.
I switched to the electronic version as there were many reviews that didn't make it into the print edition.
I was always disappointed in the poor quality of how they set up the electronic version. If I read a full review of a wine, it returned me to the first page of that section rather than where i was in the list of wines.
While I can download a e-book and read it offline, that also was not an option.
Reading many request and concerns on their board, the administators there just ignored them entirely.
Not sure how many more years TWA will be around.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Gus Siokis » July 3rd, 2019, 6:05 am

Greg,

I would love the option of downloading a PDF version since I am usually on a plane every week.....the sole reason I had a paper version.
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Kris Patten » July 3rd, 2019, 6:44 am

Title is a bit deceiving, while Mark may have hosted it, it was Robert Parker's board, and peaked back when Parker, Rovani, Galloni, Jeb and others were posting there regularly. The quality of info was incredible at a time when the internet wasn't what it is today, back in early 2000s. It was the best place to learn and get scoop on new producers.....like an unknown Scarecrow getting a 98 for their 2003.....or even better what Bordeaux to buy.

Now there is so much info, that board became fallow when they put up members wall and didn't realize the value was members posts.
ITB

ybarselah

#100 Post by ybarselah » July 3rd, 2019, 7:58 am

Jeremy C wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:59 am
Thanks, guys. Brad touched on what I had previously gathered to be a possible advantage it had over this one; namely, that there was more ITB participation.
there's a strange culture on this board that treats all ITB folks as a combo of the enemy, shilling, ulterior motives, etc. It's odd to say the least given that with very few exceptions, it's a rather familial group that is inherently interested in sharing and learning. i don't remember if it was materially different there, but regardless, this community would benefit from a more open culture from the "other side." a perfect example is the premier cru subject. i have no doubt that more people could have avoided losses had this community been a more accepting place for ITB.
Yaacov (ITB)

Return to “Wine Talk”