Total Wine-Winery and Spirits Direct Coupon

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bdklein

Total Wine-Winery and Spirits Direct Coupon

#1 Post by Bdklein » June 28th, 2019, 10:20 am

So we got our first Total Wine coupon .
Any winery or spirit direct recommendations?
Attachments
210968A5-D74F-4D5B-B54D-99BADFE6603D.jpeg
Bruce Klein

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Total Wine-Winery and Spirits Direct Coupon

#2 Post by TomHill » June 28th, 2019, 10:24 am

If it says Saranty Imports on the label..don’t buy...poor value.

Neal.Mollen

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 28th, 2019, 10:36 am

Bdklein wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 10:20 am
So we got our first Total Wine coupon .
Any winery or spirit direct recommendations?
Most of their non-first growth bdx is winery direct so eligible for the discount. In other categories, I can't help you. Poke around their website to see which producers are labeled winery direct
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Rich Brown » June 28th, 2019, 1:28 pm

As mentioned many times, selection varies big-time by location. If you're looking for higher-end/more limited production stuff (using limited production in the sense of non-grocery store wines), hit up a store that's located in what would be considered a higher-income area. Probably common sense but worth mentioning.

And the good news is lots if not most of their wine is winery-direct, so plenty to Choose from (as noted, especially with Bordeaux). Check out the stuff in the glass cases, but note the fine print about the coupon not applying to prices ended in a 7 (that means all the 1st growths and super high-end bottles arent an option).

I'm a fan of total wine if you go to the right location and use the coupons wisely.

Bdklein

#5 Post by Bdklein » June 28th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Thanks all. We don’t drink/buy a lot of high end stuff but will check it out.
Bruce Klein

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 28th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Bordeaux!!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

J. Rock

#7 Post by J. Rock » June 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I really love the 2014 Austin Hope GSM (from Paso). It's fruit forward and bold, but also had nice complimentary spice flavors.
J o r d a n

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Arv R » June 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm

If you have a Chase credit card, you might be eligible for Cardlytics Chase Offer. They have 10% off at TW live right now. I used up one last month*, and they reloaded mine again. You can stack that with the coupon as well. (BOA, WF and some others also use that backend. These are like sad weak tea versions of Amex Offers)

* I bought a bottle of Campari, which I then managed to shatter while putting away in the cluttered & cramped bar, thus making an incredible sticky, shard filled mess. Which the ignorant dog wanted to help by licking up. This is probably the first bottle of booze I can ever recall breaking.
R_@_0

John J
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by John J » June 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Bilicart Rose is winery direct
J. Johnson

Bdklein

#10 Post by Bdklein » June 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I thought TW direct are private brands (maybe wrong term) of which I have never heard ?? Am I mistaken/wrong ??
Bruce Klein

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by mmarcellus » June 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Arv R wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm
If you have a Chase credit card, you might be eligible for Cardlytics Chase Offer. They have 10% off at TW live right now. I used up one last month*, and they reloaded mine again. You can stack that with the coupon as well. (BOA, WF and some others also use that backend. These are like sad weak tea versions of Amex Offers)

* I bought a bottle of Campari, which I then managed to shatter while putting away in the cluttered & cramped bar, thus making an incredible sticky, shard filled mess. Which the ignorant dog wanted to help by licking up. This is probably the first bottle of booze I can ever recall breaking.
Keep in mind that the Total Wine store in NY is (by law) not affiliated with any other Total Wine retail entity, which means that partnership offers like this are not necessarily valid in NY. NYS law does not allow them to be be affiliated with any other retail location, in or out of state. The NY store also doesn't have a website other than a stub because they can't link into the corporate site. Personally, I think it's to their advantage to develop their own website to expose their inventory and enable selling to the whole state, but they don't seem to be interested in doing that. They are walking a fine political line, and playing the long game, so they may have good reasons for making that choice.

They do have access to the Direct wines, presumably because that's at the distributor level, not the retail level
M @ r k

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by mmarcellus » June 28th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Bdklein wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm
I thought TW direct are private brands (maybe wrong term) of which I have never heard ?? Am I mistaken/wrong ??
They're Direct Imports (a term that can apply to both foreign and domestic wines thanks to the peculiarities of the three tier system). I think there's always a real winery (or perhaps, sometimes, a negociant) behind them.
M @ r k

Bdklein

#13 Post by Bdklein » June 28th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Btw I’m in NY and would use the coupon there .
Bruce Klein

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Rich Brown » June 28th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Bdklein wrote:
Nope, winery direct wines are, just like they sound, wines they procure directly from the winery and are mostly well known brands....... Which I assume allows them better pricing and the ability to throw us common-folk a 20% off bone here/there :)

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Arv R » June 29th, 2019, 8:45 am

mmarcellus wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Arv R wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Keep in mind that the Total Wine store in NY is (by law) not affiliated with any other Total Wine retail entity, which means that partnership offers like this are not necessarily valid in NY. NYS law does not allow them to be be affiliated with any other retail location, in or out of state. The NY store also doesn't have a website other than a stub because they can't link into the corporate site. Personally, I think it's to their advantage to develop their own website to expose their inventory and enable selling to the whole state, but they don't seem to be interested in doing that. They are walking a fine political line, and playing the long game, so they may have good reasons for making that choice.

They do have access to the Direct wines, presumably because that's at the distributor level, not the retail level
The only thing I know about NYS wine laws is that Zachys is required to have the highest prices.
R_@_0

Anthony Iezzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Anthony Iezzi » June 29th, 2019, 12:44 pm

As said before I use mine solely for Bordeaux. Almost all in my area is winery direct.

Neal.Mollen

#17 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Bdklein wrote:
Nope, winery direct wines are, just like they sound, wines they procure directly from the winery and are mostly well known brands....... Which I assume allows them better pricing and the ability to throw us common-folk a 20% off bone here/there :)
I wouldn't take "winery direct" too literally. Most of the bdx are labeled WD and are almost certainly bought through negociants. I suspect it is just a designation of wines on which they have pretty fat margins and can offer the discount

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Rich Brown » June 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
Bdklein wrote:
I wouldn't take "winery direct" too literally. Most of the bdx are labeled WD and are almost certainly bought through negociants. I suspect it is just a designation of wines on which they have pretty fat margins and can offer the discount
That's probably spot on, especially in regards to Bordeaux - good call Neil!

Ron Erickson

#19 Post by Ron Erickson » June 29th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Is anyone familiar with their WD offering Tupinier Bautista? I have no experience with anything from the Mercurey appellation.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by David Glasser » June 30th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:
Bdklein wrote:
My guess is that Winery Direct means they direct import, skipping the importer markup. Like Macarthurs.

Neal.Mollen

#21 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 30th, 2019, 4:31 pm

David Glasser wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

My guess is that Winery Direct means they direct import, skipping the importer markup. Like Macarthurs.
But they call a bunch of domestic wines WD too. I just think it is a label they stick on stuff they are willing to discount

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by David Glasser » June 30th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 4:31 pm
David Glasser wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:

But they call a bunch of domestic wines WD too. I just think it is a label they stick on stuff they are willing to discount
Obviously no importing going on with the domestics. Still wouldn't be surprised if they direct imported in states that allow it.

Mike Kuller

#23 Post by Mike Kuller » June 30th, 2019, 8:49 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm
I really love the 2014 Austin Hope GSM (from Paso). It's fruit forward and bold, but also had nice complimentary spice flavors.
Their 2017 cabernet is highly rated and seems to have a similar fruit-forward profile for around $45.

Chuck Wagner is a part owner.
Last edited by Mike Kuller on June 30th, 2019, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Mike Kuller

#24 Post by Mike Kuller » June 30th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:
Bdklein wrote:
I think "Winery Direct" just means it has a yellow price tag.

No Vino Sin Cojones

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Rich Brown » July 1st, 2019, 9:06 am

Ha! Nice ;)

Markus S

#26 Post by Markus S » July 1st, 2019, 9:35 am

I always thought of Total for retail in the same vein as Southern for wholesalers: a beast you do not want to feed. pileon
$ _ € ® e . k @

Albert R

#27 Post by Albert R » July 1st, 2019, 4:10 pm

Markus S wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 9:35 am
I always thought of Total for retail in the same vein as Southern for wholesalers: a beast you do not want to feed. pileon
Yeap, I feed the beast on a very limited bases now! They keep sending me "We've missed you coupons"........
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Albert R

#28 Post by Albert R » July 1st, 2019, 4:11 pm

Winery direct means more of a direct profit.........
Cheers,

@. Re-go

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Glas » July 5th, 2019, 6:59 am

[quoteWinery direct means more of a direct profit.........][/quote] Well said!

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Well...

#30 Post by TomHill » July 5th, 2019, 7:13 am

Albert R wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 4:11 pm
Winery direct means more of a direct profit.........
Well....it's a well-know fact that the TW sales associates are instructed to push the wnry-direct wines because
they have the largest profit margins.
Tom

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Glas » July 5th, 2019, 9:30 am

Some of the winery direct wines we all have heard of however their biggest profit margins are the no name wineries they really push. This Pinot Noir is as good if not better than the one you are selecting sir and it is $4 cheaper.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yup...

#32 Post by TomHill » July 5th, 2019, 10:02 am

John Glas wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:30 am
Some of the winery direct wines we all have heard of however their biggest profit margins are the no name wineries they really push. This Pinot Noir is as good if not better than the one you are selecting sir and it is $4 cheaper.
Yup, John.....no-name wineries. Some of those unknown names, if you Google them, only show up on the TW websites. Stuff that has been bttld
just for TW. No way of knowing who made it or where. In theory, stamped on the case is supposed to be the bonded wnry # that you can supposedly look up.
For the imported stuff, that mostly all comes thru Saranty Imports in CT, the label often identifies, in fine print, the actual producer. Which are actual wineries,
though mostly unknowns. But the name on the label, Chateau Da-De-Da, is a made up name. My experience w/ these imported no-names thru Saranty,
has not been very good. Usually poor values.
They have a distributor here in NM (forget the name) that handles only the wines for the two TW's here in NM. By law, they must sell to other retailers
her in NM other than TW...at the same price. In theory, anyway. In practice...forget about it. The big 18-wheelers roll into NM, make a "stop" at the distributor
to "warehouse" the wines, and then immediately, after the paperwork exchange to make it legal, roll on out to the TW stores.
On the Wnry Direct wines, TW appears to mostly control the distribution all the way from the producer to the actual retail TW outlet.
Tom

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Scott Brunson » July 5th, 2019, 10:59 am

I am three bottles in from a Winery Direct purchase. All three have been horrendous.
The spirits are a bit better.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Neal.Mollen

#34 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 5th, 2019, 11:10 am

Total Wine is the Circuit City of wines. If you know what you want and look carefully, you can do yourself some good shopping there, but it is also a place where the unwary can get righteously fleeced.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Jeff Vaughan » July 5th, 2019, 12:25 pm

My TW purchases are limited to Bordeaux and Nada Fiorenzo (Barbaresco).
CT: outplaying

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Jim Stewart » July 5th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 11:10 am
Total Wine is the Circuit City of wines. If you know what you want and look carefully, you can do yourself some good shopping there, but it is also a place where the unwary can get righteously fleeced.
Good advice.
I have been led to some very mediocre bottles when I have asked a Total Wine associate an open ended question about wine? On the other hand, I have also picked up some good wine at good prices when I go there knowing exactly what I want. The stock of your local store is online, so just do your homework before going in.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by lleichtman » July 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 11:10 am
Good advice.
I have been led to some very mediocre bottles when I have asked a Total Wine associate an open ended question about wine? On the other hand, I have also picked up some good wine at good prices when I go there knowing exactly what I want. The stock of your local store is online, so just do your homework before going in.
The sales people at my local TW are totally useless. The only thing they seem to know about wines are that they mostly come in bottles. I have received wrong information about several bottles including not knowing what country they came from. I shop there own without engaging with the sales clerks. Few good deals now and then.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Yup...

#38 Post by Jim F » July 5th, 2019, 3:53 pm

TomHill wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 10:02 am
John Glas wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:30 am
Yup, John.....no-name wineries. Some of those unknown names, if you Google them, only show up on the TW websites. Stuff that has been bttld
just for TW. No way of knowing who made it or where. In theory, stamped on the case is supposed to be the bonded wnry # that you can supposedly look up.
For the imported stuff, that mostly all comes thru Saranty Imports in CT, the label often identifies, in fine print, the actual producer. Which are actual wineries,
though mostly unknowns. But the name on the label, Chateau Da-De-Da, is a made up name. My experience w/ these imported no-names thru Saranty,
has not been very good. Usually poor values.
They have a distributor here in NM (forget the name) that handles only the wines for the two TW's here in NM. By law, they must sell to other retailers
her in NM other than TW...at the same price. In theory, anyway. In practice...forget about it. The big 18-wheelers roll into NM, make a "stop" at the distributor
to "warehouse" the wines, and then immediately, after the paperwork exchange to make it legal, roll on out to the TW stores.
On the Wnry Direct wines, TW appears to mostly control the distribution all the way from the producer to the actual retail TW outlet.
Tom
Well, for these Winery Direct wines, there bascially is not a lot of competition, as well as little to no knowledge as to what is in the bottle. Let the buyer beware- they can charge whatever they want. BTW, it is not just Total Wine. Here in NJ, Bottle King, a big chain, has a ton of such stuff. And Gary’s “GF” wines series is the same thing.
Jim Freeman

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John Glas » July 8th, 2019, 2:22 pm

I usually buy very little from them but did have a nice $5 discount today. Not sure how the points equal up on money off but for the every day sparkler Mumm Brut Prestige it worked out.

Scott G r u n e r

#40 Post by Scott G r u n e r » July 9th, 2019, 7:22 am

I’m 90% convinced that a fair number of “winery direct” wines are essentially private label wines that have no business existing- think two buck chuck. Stick with known producers.
//Cynic

EHeffner

#41 Post by EHeffner » July 9th, 2019, 7:36 am

Substance cab and Billecart Salmon rose are the only wines I consistently buy using WD coupons, or bdx
E v @ n

Bdklein

#42 Post by Bdklein » July 9th, 2019, 9:05 am

We didn’t need any wine so we never ended up going to the store.
Bruce Klein

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by David Glasser » July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

Bdklein wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 9:05 am
We didn’t need any wine
I Googled this but remain at a loss. Can you explain?

Neal.Mollen

#44 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm

EHeffner wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 7:36 am
Substance cab and Billecart Salmon rose are the only wines I consistently buy using WD coupons, or bdx
Billecart Salmon is labeled as WD in your part of the woods? Sweet!

EHeffner

#45 Post by EHeffner » July 9th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm
EHeffner wrote:
It is. But the rose is still $89.99 before the discount. I usually just grab my bottles from Costco. My TW always has a ton of half bottles though which I prefer but a shame they do not discount 375’s for WD
E v @ n

Neal.Mollen

#46 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 9th, 2019, 12:37 pm

EHeffner wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 12:21 pm
EHeffner wrote:
It is. But the rose is still $89.99 before the discount. I usually just grab my bottles from Costco. My TW always has a ton of half bottles though which I prefer but a shame they do not discount 375’s for WD
VERY interesting. I had assumed that whatever WD meant, it meant the same thing for each store, and each would have the same listings. Not WD in my store. (And I have never seen a 375 BS rosé in my TW)

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by David Glasser » July 9th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Billecart Salmon Rosé isn’t Winery Direct in MD either. It’s $85, which makes it reasonable at $68 with the 20% off coupon.

Bdklein

#48 Post by Bdklein » July 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am
Bdklein wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 9:05 am
We didn’t need any wine
I Googled this but remain at a loss. Can you explain?
Funny
Bruce Klein

Return to “Wine Talk”