Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#651 Post by Blake Brown » June 11th, 2019, 7:22 am

Here's a beauty if you like rich and full bodied champagne that is in really good balance now and has so much potential for being a keeper for the long run:

2008 LEGRAS & HAAS BLANC de BLANC BRUT- Magnum; made from Grand Cru Chardonnay from Chouilly; this luscious wine was rich and full bodied with lots of depth and complexity to provide a complete sensory, mouth filing experience; its very robust and yet has some tameness that adds a degree of elegance; creamy lemon orange prevails along with a streak of fine acidity; its drinking quite well now and can be counted on for holding up for a few decades in magnum form especially.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_245f.jpeg
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#652 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 11th, 2019, 8:54 am

1997 Salon- Bought this at a restaurant. It is still holding strong. Bright, juicy, lively, creamy, apple peel, and a hint of citrus zest, with pretty mineral perceptions. This is wonderful Champagne!

Egly-Ouriet Rosé- This and Camille Saves are easily two of the best Bouzy Rosés out there today. I just copied my 3/20/2019 note: This is glowing light pink to red, with delicious full but light red berry fruit, apple skins, rose petals, toasted sweet bread, crunchy minerals, texture, creamy bubbles... delicious! I drink these as if, "the plane's going down!

Billecart Salmon Rosé- Restaurant purchase from half bottle. These are very fine in a pinch. Red fruit, with a hint of strawberry, and dusty clay road perceptions. Not as faceted as the Saves and Egly-Ouriet, but still very fine!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Sarah Kirschbaum

#653 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 12th, 2019, 8:29 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:54 am
1997 Salon- Bought this at a restaurant. It is still holding strong. Bright, juicy, lively, creamy, apple peel, and a hint of citrus zest, with pretty mineral perceptions. This is wonderful Champagne!

Egly-Ouriet Rosé- This and Camille Saves are easily two of the best Bouzy Rosés out there today. I just copied my 3/20/2019 note: This is glowing light pink to red, with delicious full but light red berry fruit, apple skins, rose petals, toasted sweet bread, crunchy minerals, texture, creamy bubbles... delicious! I drink these as if, "the plane's going down!

Billecart Salmon Rosé- Restaurant purchase from half bottle. These are very fine in a pinch. Red fruit, with a hint of strawberry, and dusty clay road perceptions. Not as faceted as the Saves and Egly-Ouriet, but still very fine!
Egly-Ouriet Rosé is special. I think of it as an Ambonnay wine, though, even though some of the grapes do come from Bouzy and Verzenay, I believe.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#654 Post by Warren Taranow » June 12th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
Charlie Carnes wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:54 am

Egly-Ouriet Rosé is special. I think of it as an Ambonnay wine, though, even though some of the grapes do come from Bouzy and Verzenay, I believe.
I love both the E-O and Saves rosés. The Saves is a lot less $, at least from my sources.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#655 Post by Frank Murray III » June 15th, 2019, 6:33 pm

From tonight, with Indian food.
  • 2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Terra, Blanc des Blancs - France, Champagne (6/15/2019)
    My second of two. Disgorged Sept 2017, 100% Chard and 1 g/l of dosage. I has a mixed feeling on the previous bottle, as I thought the wine was lean and tight. This one is similar, as it has structure, a minerally kind of thing, competing with the fruit that is here. I don't mind this racier expression, provided there is fruit to back it up. There is fruit here, which comes through as juicy apple, lime/grapefruit and a drizzle of honey before the structure kicks in. This is not on the same plane as Marguet Les Bermonts or Marie-Courtin Eloquence, which are both 100% Chard, farmed clean like Falmet, and no dosage. Those wines for me, especially the latter, bring fruit/balance to the overall texture and resulting wine, whereas this Falmet is just struggling some to find a bit more fruit, or perhaps given the other components, maybe a touch more dosage, dare I say that. Good, not great.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#656 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 16th, 2019, 8:08 am

Bereche & Fils Brut Reserve (disgorged 01/19)
Louis Roederer Rose 2012
Philipponnat Royale Reserve Brut (vintage base 2014)
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#657 Post by Warren Taranow » June 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:08 am
Louis Roederer Rose 2012
Hi Merrill,
I also opened this last night. I love the mix of intense red berries and citrus, but I think its apogee is a long way off.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#658 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 16th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Louis Roederer Rose 2012
Hi Merrill,
I also opened this last night. I love the mix of intense red berries and citrus, but I think its apogee is a long way off.
Cheers,
Warren
A friend brought it for immediate consumption. I served it in vintage hollow stemmed, gold encrusted Champagne coupes. Between the wine and the presentation, none of the 6 of us was unhappy. champagne.gif
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Yao C

#659 Post by Yao C » June 18th, 2019, 9:17 am

2012 Jean Milan Terres de Noel BdB

Spent a lovely summer evening with this bottle watching the Willamette River go by. Jean Milan's best holding in Oger with 70 year old vines. All finesse and balance in a charming, lighter aperitif style. Pear and yeast and a real sense of freshness without any enamel-stripping pucker. Then surprising weight on the mid-palate that hints at a lot of promise for the future. Next bottle in 10 years! Good plus with upside
C h 0 o n 6

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#660 Post by Warren Taranow » June 19th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Which Champagne am I NOT drinking? The horribly corked 2004 Pol Roger Champagne Vintage Brut I brought to the restaurant tonight. I ordered a NV Delamotte Brut off the menu, and it was an adequate but not exceptional replacement. Nice mouse and creamy mouthfeel, a little biscuit, grapefruit on the nose.

CT - WST

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#661 Post by Mike Evans » June 20th, 2019, 6:05 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Which Champagne am I NOT drinking? The horribly corked 2004 Pol Roger Champagne Vintage Brut I brought to the restaurant tonight. I ordered a NV Delamotte Brut off the menu, and it was an adequate but not exceptional replacement. Nice mouse and creamy mouthfeel, a little biscuit, grapefruit on the nose.
Ouch. Not intending to rub salt in your wounds, but I much preferred a 2004 Pol Roger to 2008 Dom Perignon and 2006 Veuve Grande Dame last week. The DP and Grande Dame were both quite nice, but I couldn’t get enough of the nutty, bready richness but with terrific verve delivered by the Pol Roger.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#662 Post by Warren Taranow » June 20th, 2019, 6:22 am

Mike Evans wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 6:05 am
Warren Taranow wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Ouch. Not intending to rub salt in your wounds, but I much preferred a 2004 Pol Roger to 2008 Dom Perignon and 2006 Veuve Grande Dame last week. The DP and Grande Dame were both quite nice, but I couldn’t get enough of the nutty, bready richness but with terrific verve delivered by the Pol Roger.
Mike,
All is not lost; I think I have a couple more. I hadn't opened one since 2015. It was good then. I'm happy to see your note confirming it's gotten even better with time.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#663 Post by alan weinberg » June 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm

gonna drink an 08 Guy Larmandier Signe François VV based on chet’s rec—tomorrow.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#664 Post by Russ Williams » June 21st, 2019, 7:34 am

alan weinberg wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm
gonna drink an 08 Guy Larmandier Signe François VV based on chet’s rec—tomorrow.
Please post notes.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

bob parsons alberta

#665 Post by bob parsons alberta » June 21st, 2019, 9:58 pm

Saturday night, will get the chance to taste La Rogerie..looking forward to it! Hope I can post this link?

https://www.thomasheinzecollections.com ... -rogerie-1

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#666 Post by Frank Murray III » June 23rd, 2019, 8:35 am

From last night. Paid $50 for this at Envoyer, FWIW. Dig it.
  • 2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Tentation Rosée - France, Champagne (6/23/2019)
    First of three bottles. Disgorged June 2018, 5 g/l with a 50/50 blend of PN/PM. The color on this is ruby, almost like a red wine. Consistent with the color, the wine itself has a texture and build of a red wine, too. Deep flavor of cherry, with a density that reminds me more of drinking Pinot that is still. While there is acidity here, which seemed to blossom as the wine aired, it does not show any of the lime skin or citrus that I find in a lot of Rose bubbly, but instead just a more powerful acid imprint. The wine also seemed to go still more quickly too, shedding off a lot of the CO2 more rapidly. And even with the dosage level of 5, I don't sense any of it, as it's well integrated with the parts. Overall, this is a cool, unique Rose, finishing with some chalky structure and good presence. Really enjoyed this.
20190622_171230.jpg
20190622_171246.jpg

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#667 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » June 24th, 2019, 11:48 am

Over the past week:

1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires
2002 Gosset Celebris Extra Brut

Both were superb. Regrettably, it was my last bottle of the '95 Heidsieck. Awaiting arrival of the 2004s.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#668 Post by Russ Williams » June 24th, 2019, 11:54 am

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 11:48 am
Over the past week:

Both were superb. Regrettably, it was my last bottle of the '95 Heidsieck. Awaiting arrival of the 2004s.
Envoyer just offered the 2004 today. The price however is $139.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#669 Post by Warren Taranow » June 24th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Over the past week:

1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires - Superb

Regrettably, it was my last bottle of the '95 Heidsieck. Awaiting arrival of the 2004s.
I drank one with an old friend on Saturday and concur; it's superb. I fell for this wine five or six years ago, despite reading several notes opining it was good rather than great. Over the next several years, I reloaded and purchased nearly 3 cases. I'm down to my last 4 or 5 bottles. I'm also waiting on the '04, but with the price increase, I won't buy nearly as many. I've read it's very different than the '95.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#670 Post by Steve Nordhoff » June 24th, 2019, 1:23 pm

08 Hebrart Special Club- nervy, dense and young. Excellent
06 Vilmart Grand Rubis-floral, suave and just hitting its stride. Also excellent.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#671 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » June 24th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Since last Tuesday -

'82 Dom Perignon - perfectly mature. Oysters, crudo and '82 DP is a trio that is close to perfection. Staggering Plus

Krug Grande Cuvee - '96 Base - can you get a better NV than this? Entering a mature phase with a couple of decades of great drinking to go. Staggering Minus

'96 Dom Perignon - if this continues to mature and develop as it has the past ten years it may rival the '82 and the great vintages of DP from earlier decades. Staggering

'88 Henriot Cuvee Enchanteleurs Mag - my favorite vintage of this Champagne in my favorite format. Staggering

'75 Veuve Clicquot - while previous bottles consumed 10+ years ago provided great pleasure, this bottle should have been opened with those too. Long in the tooth. Good minus

NV Eric Rodez Zero Dosage Disgorged 2017 - I'm not on the no dosage bandwagon, but this was definitely enjoyable. Some oxidative notes but balanced by crisp acidity. Excellent Minus.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#672 Post by Kris Patten » June 24th, 2019, 8:42 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 2:08 pm
'88 Henriot Cuvee Enchanteleurs Mag - my favorite vintage of this Champagne in my favorite format. Staggering
I still have one of these in cellar in magnum, any special treatment?

As for my latest, finally got a 2008 Dom Perignon, very linear and clean, very bright acidity. Will hunt down some more.
ITB

Yao C

#673 Post by Yao C » June 24th, 2019, 10:02 pm

1985 Jacquesson Degorgement Tardif: disgorged 2010; a promising, tantalizingly forward mature nose, all honeyed and yeasty with a touch of lemon, which combines nicely with the creamy mousse; then crushing disappointment as the palate drops out and you’re left with shrill acidity and not enough substance to balance it; left in a decanter for several hours and it filled out some but never quite came good; decent plus
C h 0 o n 6

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#674 Post by Jay Miller » June 25th, 2019, 7:34 am

2004 Pol Roger Winston Churchill was tight, tight, tight. After two hours open it displayed an impressive degree of chalkiness, minerality and acidity but IMO needs at least 5 years to start loosening up. A recent 2006 was much more enjoyable though I think I'll probably prefer this over the long term.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#675 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » June 25th, 2019, 8:34 am

Kris Patten wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 8:42 pm
R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 2:08 pm
I still have one of these in cellar in magnum, any special treatment?
Nothing too special; opened it about 45 minutes prior to serving.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Brad Baker

#676 Post by Brad Baker » June 25th, 2019, 8:53 am

Yao C wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 10:02 pm
1985 Jacquesson Degorgement Tardif: disgorged 2010; a promising, tantalizingly forward mature nose, all honeyed and yeasty with a touch of lemon, which combines nicely with the creamy mousse; then crushing disappointment as the palate drops out and you’re left with shrill acidity and not enough substance to balance it; left in a decanter for several hours and it filled out some but never quite came good; decent plus
Yao,

Bottle or magnum? The magnums were late disgorged 1985 BdB while the bottles were late disgorged 1985 Perfection Millesime. The bottles have always been not quite right to me, but the magnums were nice though still not thrilling.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Yao C

#677 Post by Yao C » June 25th, 2019, 10:35 am

Brad Baker wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:53 am
Yao C wrote:
Yao,

Bottle or magnum? The magnums were late disgorged 1985 BdB while the bottles were late disgorged 1985 Perfection Millesime. The bottles have always been not quite right to me, but the magnums were nice though still not thrilling.
Bottle

Have you liked other vintages? I'm not very familiar with Jacquesson and this was a toe in the water for me
C h 0 o n 6

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#678 Post by Russ Williams » June 25th, 2019, 11:09 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 8:35 am
From last night. Paid $50 for this at Envoyer, FWIW. Dig it.
  • 2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Tentation Rosée - France, Champagne (6/23/2019)
    First of three bottles. Disgorged June 2018, 5 g/l with a 50/50 blend of PN/PM. The color on this is ruby, almost like a red wine. Consistent with the color, the wine itself has a texture and build of a red wine, too. Deep flavor of cherry, with a density that reminds me more of drinking Pinot that is still. While there is acidity here, which seemed to blossom as the wine aired, it does not show any of the lime skin or citrus that I find in a lot of Rose bubbly, but instead just a more powerful acid imprint. The wine also seemed to go still more quickly too, shedding off a lot of the CO2 more rapidly. And even with the dosage level of 5, I don't sense any of it, as it's well integrated with the parts. Overall, this is a cool, unique Rose, finishing with some chalky structure and good presence. Really enjoyed this.
20190622_171230.jpg
20190622_171246.jpg
Thanks for the note as I just grabbed a couple from today’s offer.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#679 Post by Frank Murray III » June 25th, 2019, 11:59 am

Russ, glad to help. For $50, I liked this wine. I picked up another yesterday for this weekend, as I am helping host a party for a friend of mine. It will allow me to try it again and pen down another impression, too. I wasn't aware Greg was going to re-offer it so my note was coincidental.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Blair Ridley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#680 Post by Blair Ridley » June 25th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Have a Deutz NV on tap in the next hour or so. Gonna visit the winery in a couple of weeks. Love their stuff!

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#681 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » June 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Russ Williams wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 11:54 am
Over the past week:

Envoyer just offered the 2004 today. The price however is $139.
That was Envoyer's second go-round on the 2004, Russ. They originally offered it last November at $129.99 and I grabbed a bunch then.

Brad Baker

#682 Post by Brad Baker » June 25th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Yao C wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 10:35 am
Brad Baker wrote:
Yao C wrote:
Yao,

Bottle

Have you liked other vintages? I'm not very familiar with Jacquesson and this was a toe in the water for me
It really depends on what the wine is. Their better DT wines tended to be a late release vintage BdB or Signature. The DTs that were vintage Perfection are more hit or miss for me. Jacquesson now does a much better job at telling you exactly what is in their late disgorged bottles, but with most of the wines pre-1995 it can still be a guess in some years. The non-dose approach in a lot of the DT bottlings also isn't always the best choice IMO. I usually prefer their original releases with age over the DT series.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Yao C

#683 Post by Yao C » June 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Yao C wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 10:35 am
Brad Baker wrote:

Yao,

Bottle

It really depends on what the wine is. Their better DT wines tended to be a late release vintage BdB or Signature. The DTs that were vintage Perfection are more hit or miss for me. Jacquesson now does a much better job at telling you exactly what is in their late disgorged bottles, but with most of the wines pre-1995 it can still be a guess in some years. The non-dose approach in a lot of the DT bottlings also isn't always the best choice IMO. I usually prefer their original releases with age over the DT series.
Thank you Brad! My husband and I both love BdB so we might seek one out and give it a shot
C h 0 o n 6

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#684 Post by Frank Murray III » June 26th, 2019, 7:26 pm

• NV Etienne Calsac Champagne Les Rocheforts Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (6/26/2019)
    Same specs as the previous bottle. Disgorged 02/2017, 3 g/l with a base of 2014. 100% Chard. Finished this over 2 nights. This had a mix of green apple, citrus and some bitter notes. There was a solid energy to this bottle and it has a racy style that finishes lively. I like this bottle better than the bottle from late 2017, as while I perceived something sweet about that bottle, this one was driven by acidity, fruit and clean elements that I enjoyed. I have one more bottle remaining, although it may be a different disgorge/base, will see when it arrives later this year. For $45, this a nice Chardonnay bubbly.
20190626_174614.jpg

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#685 Post by Jason T » June 28th, 2019, 6:17 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:26 pm
  • NV Etienne Calsac Champagne Les Rocheforts Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne (6/26/2019)
    Same specs as the previous bottle. Disgorged 02/2017, 3 g/l with a base of 2014. 100% Chard. Finished this over 2 nights. This had a mix of green apple, citrus and some bitter notes. There was a solid energy to this bottle and it has a racy style that finishes lively. I like this bottle better than the bottle from late 2017, as while I perceived something sweet about that bottle, this one was driven by acidity, fruit and clean elements that I enjoyed. I have one more bottle remaining, although it may be a different disgorge/base, will see when it arrives later this year. For $45, this a nice Chardonnay bubbly.
20190626_174614.jpg
Frank, this is timely as I was recently hooked up with the UK importer for Calsac (A&B Vintners, who also happens to import Marcus Goodfellow's wines). I asked them to put together a mixed case of their Champagne offerings, and this happened to be among them, as did Calsac's L'échappée Belle Brut. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but your note makes me believe they are right up my alley.
J@son Tr@ughber

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#686 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 28th, 2019, 7:40 am

Just bought some Taittinger Comtes Roses in UK. Looking forward to getting and drinking.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

michael ottesen

#687 Post by michael ottesen » June 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
Bereche & Fils Brut Reserve (disgorged 01/19)
Louis Roederer Rose 2012
Philipponnat Royale Reserve Brut (vintage base 2014)
Bereche & Fils Brut Reserve is a very Nice
Bottle of Champagne for 40$ [cheers.gif]

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#688 Post by Warren Taranow » June 28th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 7:40 am
Just bought some Taittinger Comtes Roses in UK. Looking forward to getting and drinking.
What vintage? Should be great regardless.

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#689 Post by Howard Cooper » June 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Last night at our monthly Burg group dinner we started with two Champagnes. First, we had a 2010 Demiere "EGREG OR" Champagne that was 100% Pinot Meunier. This is the second wine I have had from this producer (same person brought it both times) and it was very good - lots of flavor, good acidity, a joy to drink.

Then, we were treated to a 1996 Taittinger Comte de Champagne Rose. I have had the 1996 Blanc twice this year but have never had the Rose before last night. This is clearly a wow wine, but I think I liked the Blanc even better. I think Comte de Champagne and Dom Ruinart are quickly becoming my favorite Champagnes.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#690 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 28th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 7:40 am
What vintage? Should be great regardless.

Cheers
Warren
2006 and 2007
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#691 Post by Howard Cooper » June 28th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Any idea when Taittinger will be releasing 2008s?
Howard

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#692 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 28th, 2019, 8:11 pm

The ‘07 was literally released on Wednesday, so figure a year.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#693 Post by Howard Cooper » June 29th, 2019, 4:44 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 8:11 pm
Interesting. I was at Taittinger last summer and tasted the 2007 while at the winery. Did not realize it had not been released, although I have the wine on order and have not gotten it yet, so I guess this makes sense.
Howard

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#694 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » June 29th, 2019, 6:31 am

N.V. Pierre Moncuit Champagne Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut

Big fan of this as a daily drinker Champagne. Super value. Lovely balance between the citrus and brioche, creamy texture, and just the right level of dosage for my taste.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#695 Post by Frank Murray III » June 29th, 2019, 11:11 am

Jason T wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:17 am
Frank Murray III wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:26 pm
20190626_174614.jpg
Frank, this is timely as I was recently hooked up with the UK importer for Calsac (A&B Vintners, who also happens to import Marcus Goodfellow's wines). I asked them to put together a mixed case of their Champagne offerings, and this happened to be among them, as did Calsac's L'échappée Belle Brut. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but your note makes me believe they are right up my alley.
Jason, great that I could lend some POV to your pursuit. I have not tasted much in their range, other than the Rosé de Craie, which is solid and I own some of it, too. They also make Clos des Maladries, which I passed on recently, as the bottle shape is very similar to the Special Club glass shape--just a PITA to keep in my cellar. For what modest room I have for odd-size bottles, those are being chewed up by Vilmart, Marie-Courtin and Chartogne-Taillet. blahblah

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#696 Post by Warren Taranow » June 29th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 4:44 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 8:11 pm
Interesting. I was at Taittinger last summer and tasted the 2007 while at the winery. Did not realize it had not been released, although I have the wine on order and have not gotten it yet, so I guess this makes sense.
The 2007 release was small due to the heat and early harvest. I doubt it will be as long a spread between the ‘07 & ‘08 releases as there was between the ‘06 & ‘07. Then no Comte until the 2012. I’m surprised they skipped 2009.

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Eric Sch

#697 Post by Eric Sch » June 29th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Last night on the back deck we popped some NV Caillez-Lemaire Cuvée Pur Meunier that was showing great. Really driving acid, slowly developing some red apple fruit as it opened up, and the dosage was very nice. Wish I had more of this, I really find myself drawn to varietal Meunier bottlings in general and this bottle hit the spot.

Tonight we're having some NV Billecart-Salmon Rosé with Flannery burgers and tater tots in duck fat.
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

bob parsons alberta

#698 Post by bob parsons alberta » June 30th, 2019, 8:20 am

tasting last night downtown..."Summer Bubbles". A very nice NV Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut but the 2009 Pol Roger Vintage Brut ($99.99) was a clear winner. Nicely matured and a terrific finish, some thought still young maybe?

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#699 Post by Frank Murray III » June 30th, 2019, 10:35 am

Warren, the Vilmart made me think of you. I ended up buying some of the 2009 Vinopolis recently and this was one those bottles that arrived a few weeks ago. It's good, reminding me some of the 2009 Cristal, with that more opulent character.
  • 2008 Larmandier-Bernier Champagne Grand Cru Vieille Vigne du Levant Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/30/2019)
    Disgorged September 2017. I believe this is dosed at 2 g/l. We polished through this pretty quickly. Lemon and yellow apple, with a good structure underneath it. I found the acidity and the fruit working well together and we enjoyed this again.
  • 2009 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (6/30/2019)
    Disgorged May 2016, 80% Chard, 20% PN. We pulled this on a whim and I blinded it for a few good palates, alongside the 08 Larmandier-Bernier Levant VV BdB. There is sufficient acid here in the Vilmart to match against the sexier fruit and more opulent style as compared to the 2008 L-B. So, as I think about the 2009-2011 CdC bottlings, all now having tried on separate occasions in the past few months, I prefer the 2009 best, followed by the 2010 and then the 2011.
  • NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Extra Brut Grains de Celles Rose - France, Champagne (6/30/2019)
    Disgorged April 2018, with a base of 2015. 50% PN, plus equal parts 25% Chard and Pinot Blanc. This seemed to fit a lot of different tastes, as the bottle was finished off. For me, it had a cool mix of fresh, ripe strawberries, some lime and good balance. Has a lightly candied finish of red fruit that makes it appealing. This was $99, and it worked for the setting perfectly.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#700 Post by Robert M yers » June 30th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Robert,

They normally always come wrapped in paper/plastic combo and then are inserted into a straw holder with the booklet in between. All bottles get it whether packed in a six pack (normally wooden) or a single wooden box. Each booklet corresponds to a particular bottle number in that release of the specific 1,911 bottles. If the straw was removed when you received them then the booklet would have also disappeared since nothing was there to hold it with the bottle.
Brad opened the six pack I ordered, but I’m doubtful that it’s the same as the last because they had to go to the distributor to “find” more. They did go out of their way to get me the insert though which I appreciated and here it is. Any insight you can give on this...or how to decode would be appreciated.
Attachments
6BC99160-72E6-4D5B-8A9E-361F99729570.jpeg

Return to “Wine Talk”