Wine country vacation suggestions.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Wine country vacation suggestions.

#1 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » May 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm

We have two unplanned weeks off September 14-29. We are really bad about planning ahead. We have done most of “Wine Country” in the USA (Napa/Sonoma, Paso Robles, Santa Cruz Mountains, Willamette Valley). Any suggestions for this time of year outside of the US? We would probably not go to Burgundy, but cannot rule it out.

Brian Glas

Re: Wine country vacation suggestions.

#2 Post by Brian Glas » May 26th, 2019, 7:10 pm

If you like Pinot, Willamette Valley in Oregon is a must.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mark Y » May 26th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Outside the US? ;)

It would depend on what you like. That’s a great time to go almost anywhere in Western Europe.
So Bordeaux. Burgundy. Rhône. Loire. Piedmont. Tuscany. Rioja. Etc.

Burg of course
But next up I vote for piedmont. Lovely place for a vacation.
Y.e.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Australia and New Zealand. Right in their spring.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Howard Cooper » May 26th, 2019, 8:46 pm

What are you looking for:

Impressive and iconic chateaus - go to Bordeaux
Great food at great places and small-town life - go to Burgundy
Beautiful vistas - have not been there, but I understand that is Barolo
Pretty vistas and picture book towns - Alsace.

In summary. What is your favorite type of European wine? Go there.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

C Wagner

#6 Post by C Wagner » May 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm

If you enjoy Alsatian wines, I would urge Alsace with as much fervor as I could muster.

To put it bluntly, I’ve never enjoyed a place quite as much as I’ve enjoyed it there. My wife and I visited a couple of weeks after the time of year you mention, but I would imagine that to be perfect.

You could also pair it with either Germany, Champagne, Burgundy, or Rhône. We paired it with Burgundy and while we enjoyed Burgundy Alsace stole the show.

I’d be more than happy to give suggestions on villages, restaurants, etc.
Chris

IlkkaL

#7 Post by IlkkaL » May 26th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Hard to go wrong in terms of weather. Obviously winery visits may be hard to arrange if the harvest is on the way, though.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jason T » May 26th, 2019, 10:35 pm

C Wagner wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm
If you enjoy Alsatian wines, I would urge Alsace with as much fervor as I could muster.

To put it bluntly, I’ve never enjoyed a place quite as much as I’ve enjoyed it there. My wife and I visited a couple of weeks after the time of year you mention, but I would imagine that to be perfect.

You could also pair it with either Germany, Champagne, Burgundy, or Rhône. We paired it with Burgundy and while we enjoyed Burgundy Alsace stole the show.

I’d be more than happy to give suggestions on villages, restaurants, etc.
Chris, what was it you enjoyed so much about Alsace?
J@son Tr@ughber

C Wagner

#9 Post by C Wagner » May 27th, 2019, 12:58 am

I enjoyed the well priced wine, the friendly folks, the beyond beautiful atmosphere, the surprisingly delicious food (this was a huge surprise in Alsace). I must really admit it was a home run on most accounts.

I would highly suggest centering on Riquewihr, Ribeauville, etc. that said we also spent a night or two in Colmar and it wasn’t wasted. I just think that the nights in the villages are much more idyllic.

Personally, if you gave me a week in Ribeauville and the surroundings, followed by a week in the Northern Rhône or Beaune I’d be a very happy camper.
Chris

Gerhard P.

#10 Post by Gerhard P. » May 27th, 2019, 1:18 am

Why not visit Styria in Austria - called the Austrian Toscana.
Great white wines, decent reds ... [cheers.gif]

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-d ... wine-route

https://www.steirischerwein.at/styria-land-of-vineyards
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by David Glasser » May 27th, 2019, 4:51 am

Agree with above responses highlighting some of the differences between regions. Of those mentioned, Alsace for the picturesque towns or Tuscany for the food and beauty of the countryside would be near the top of my list for a first international wine trip.

Since no one’s mentioned the Loire yet, I will. Quite a variety of wines depending on which region you visit. Friendly, receptive people. Some of the most exquisite Chateaux in France. French helps but basic tourist level is enough, unless you want an in-depth discussion of techniques at the wine tastings. Appointments recommended but we had no trouble getting them. We enjoyed a stay at Chateau de Noizay, off the D1 east of Vouvray.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jim Stewart » May 27th, 2019, 6:05 am

Jeff, that period is an ideal time to visit US or Western Europe. In Europe, we have always enjoyed wine touring when combined with some other interest of ours. We also have particularly liked having a "base" location and enjoying the local atmosphere and rhythm as part of the experience. Good suggestions above, but reflect a bit about your and your wife's interests and maybe consider picking an interest/hobby vacation (painting, photography, volunteer, cooking) to complement the wine touring. Enjoy! -Jim
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » May 27th, 2019, 6:11 am

For those saying this is a perfect time to visit, isn’t it harvest time in many regions? Won’t small wineries be swamped and not seeing visitors? Note, I have never visited a wine region in September, so I thought I would ask.
Howard

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Josh Grossman » May 27th, 2019, 7:16 am

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm
We have two unplanned weeks off September 14-29. We are really bad about planning ahead. We have done most of “Wine Country” in the USA (Napa/Sonoma, Paso Robles, Santa Cruz Mountains, Willamette Valley). Any suggestions for this time of year outside of the US? We would probably not go to Burgundy, but cannot rule it out.
I assume you've already made the arduous two hour journey to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario? Can't recommend Pearl Morissette enough.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 27th, 2019, 7:42 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 7:16 am
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm
I assume you've already made the arduous two hour journey to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario? Can't recommend Pearl Morissette enough.
No tastings since July 2018.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Scott Brunson » May 27th, 2019, 8:22 am

Mark Y wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 7:45 pm
Brian Glas wrote:
Outside the US? ;)
So,New Mexico? champagne.gif
Gerhard P. wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 1:18 am

and scenery, and food, and great people...
Big +1
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » May 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

We have visited Niagra-on-the-Lake, North Fork of Long Island and the Finger Lakes. The only other unexplored area in the US that is on our to-do list is the Santa Barbara area; however, we probably do not need devote two weeks in that area. I have always wanted to see the Yosemite valley but that is a long way from Santa Barbara.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Josh Grossman » May 27th, 2019, 10:13 am

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 9:53 am
[/quote]

We have visited Niagra-on-the-Lake, North Fork of Long Island and the Finger Lakes. The only other unexplored area in the US that is on our to-do list is the Santa Barbara area; however, we probably do not need devote two weeks in that area. I have always wanted to see the Yosemite valley but that is a long way from Santa Barbara.
[/quote]

I've been wanting to hike the Lost Coast Trail and do Anderson Valley. Broke my leg last summer when I was planning to do it. Heading to Tuscany and Amalfi Coast this summer.

IlkkaL

#19 Post by IlkkaL » May 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 6:11 am
For those saying this is a perfect time to visit, isn’t it harvest time in many regions? Won’t small wineries be swamped and not seeing visitors? Note, I have never visited a wine region in September, so I thought I would ask.
On several occasions when I've tried to arrange a visit for late August or early September I've been told that I am welcome if the harvest has not started.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jim Stewart » May 27th, 2019, 10:50 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Howard, you make a very good point, especially if someone is looking for winemaker interaction at smaller wineries. We bumped into a bit of this when we visited Oregon last year in about this same time frame, but the weather and other tasting opportunities that time of year can still be pretty good, but as you say maybe not "perfect". [cheers.gif] -Jim
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by lleichtman » May 27th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Mark Y wrote:
Brian Glas wrote:
Outside the US? ;)

It would depend on what you like. That’s a great time to go almost anywhere in Western Europe.
So Bordeaux. Burgundy. Rhône. Loire. Piedmont. Tuscany. Rioja. Etc.

Burg of course
But next up I vote for piedmont. Lovely place for a vacation.
I would +1000 on that. What a lovely place with great wine and food. flirtysmile
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by lleichtman » May 27th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 8:22 am
Mark Y wrote:
Brian Glas wrote:
Outside the US? ;)
So,New Mexico? champagne.gif

Last time I checked we were in the US even if our president doesn't think so. [snort.gif]
Gerhard P. wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 1:18 am

and scenery, and food, and great people...
Big +1
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » May 27th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
We did this last summer. Had too much of a good time. Purchased 5 cases of wine.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by P Intag » May 27th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Mosel Valley in Germany would be a good choice. Lots of great Riesling, quaint towns, riverboat tours, great hiking, and castles.
Paul

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Howard Cooper » May 27th, 2019, 5:16 pm

IlkkaL wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 10:21 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
On several occasions when I've tried to arrange a visit for late August or early September I've been told that I am welcome if the harvest has not started.
But he is talking about late September, not late August. I would think at that time you would want to go somewhere like Bordeaux or Champagne where you can visit larger estates with established tasting programs and not places like Burgundy, Alsace, Barolo, etc., where family farmers won't have time for you.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Howard Cooper » May 27th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 10:50 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Howard, you make a very good point, especially if someone is looking for winemaker interaction at smaller wineries. We bumped into a bit of this when we visited Oregon last year in about this same time frame, but the weather and other tasting opportunities that time of year can still be pretty good, but as you say maybe not "perfect". [cheers.gif] -Jim
Jim,

He is going when he is going - we cannot always make our trips at perfect times for wine visits. But, as I said in my prior post, and as you say here, he need to take into consideration when he is going when he is figuring out WHERE to visit.
Howard

IlkkaL

#27 Post by IlkkaL » May 27th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 5:16 pm
IlkkaL wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 10:21 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
But he is talking about late September, not late August. I would think at that time you would want to go somewhere like Bordeaux or Champagne where you can visit larger estates with established tasting programs and not places like Burgundy, Alsace, Barolo, etc., where family farmers won't have time for you.
Well, you said September and I said early September... However my point was that I do believe indeed just like you that September as a whole might be a difficult time to score visits with certainty to small producers given the possibility of harvest.

Yao C

#28 Post by Yao C » May 28th, 2019, 10:17 am

P Intag wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Mosel Valley in Germany would be a good choice. Lots of great Riesling, quaint towns, riverboat tours, great hiking, and castles.
Don't forget the Grosser Ring auction, which if I recall correctly is held in September
C h 0 o n 6

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mike Grammer » May 28th, 2019, 10:46 am

For Yosemite, you'd be looking at spending time in Livermore and maybe Amador/Lodi to some extent. Yosemite itself, if it's your first time, should be at least a 3-day visit---only New Zealand rivals it for natural beauty in all the traveling I have done.

Any cultural to be mixed in? I was thinking of Vienna, Salzburg and the Wachau and other wine regions of Austria--plus you could drop down into Sudtirol and northern Italy that way...Vienna itself should be a 3-4 day visit as well...

New Zealand is amazing and 2 weeks (if you can give yourselves an extra 3 days to compensate for the flighttimes that would help) is just about enough time to get a good look around.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 28th, 2019, 11:56 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
this is true to an extent, but when I visited Tuscany and Piedmont during harvest I just made it clear that I'm extremely passionate about the wines and learning more about the regions. I was able to get into almost everywhere except for a very small few that didn't have the people on hand to take care of a visit. I'm sure if Jeff does the same he won't have a problem getting into a lot of places.

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » June 12th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Okay, my girlfriend and I compromised on a partial European wine vacation. London, Paris and CHAMPAGNE!!!. champagne.gif

Plane tickets purchased (the easy part). Now I have to do some research and make some arrangements. Will search the forum for information about visiting the Champagne region. If anyone is willing to share their experiences and make recommendations, please post here or PM me.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » June 12th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Okay, my girlfriend and I compromised on a partial European wine vacation. London, Paris and CHAMPAGNE!!!. champagne.gif

Plane tickets purchased (the easy part). Now I have to do some research and make some arrangements. Will search the forum for information about visiting the Champagne region. If anyone is willing to share their experiences and make recommendations, please post here or PM me.
Search the travel forum.

Don Brazelton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Don Brazelton » June 13th, 2019, 11:24 am

Western Australia and South Africa are two of my favorites. Trying Tasmania this year. Would appreciate any suggestions on Tasmania.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mike Grammer » June 13th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Two trips down there for me and I never did get to Tazzie. Cap D'Estaing is still the flag-bearer there, and pretty good wine. Josef Chromy is OK (I think both Chard and PN IIRC). Those are the only two that come to mind just now, but I know there are other wineries---maybe PM Jeremy Holmes or Kent Comley?
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Dave English » June 14th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Don Brazelton wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:24 am
Western Australia and South Africa are two of my favorites. Trying Tasmania this year. Would appreciate any suggestions on Tasmania.
Few threads with ideas here...

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16191

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16161

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14694

Don Brazelton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Don Brazelton » June 15th, 2019, 9:11 am

Dave, thanks for the threads.

Return to “Wine Talk”