Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Maxwell A.
Posts: 94
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#1 Post by Maxwell A. » May 28th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Hey Everyone, I know topics related to increasing prices of wines are not uncommon, but I thought this might be an interesting way to present it and see a lot of perspectives:

Throughout your wine buying career, what favorite wine(s) or producer(s) do you no longer buy (regularly or at all) due to the price increasing?

At what price(s) did you decide they were no longer worth the cost?

Which of your favorite wines that you currently buy are you considering no longer buying or fear that after a few more years they may become out of reach or not worth the price?

I'd like to focus on wines you've bought to drink, not ones purchased to resell. It's always interesting to see different perspectives on value.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1357
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#2 Post by Josh Grossman » May 28th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Gonon, Allemand, too many to name in Cote de Nuits. I'm also an idiot as I remember getting offers for Marcel Juge Cornas at $89.00 and passing. I can't add Juge to this list though because I didn't buy it.
Last edited by Josh Grossman on May 28th, 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6264
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#3 Post by David Glasser » May 28th, 2019, 12:30 pm

All of the Bordeaux first growths and some of the super seconds. A number of N. Rhones e.g. Chave, Allemand. I quit at around $200/bottle, which is my limit other than special occasion bottles, so it's been a while for many of them. Never got bitten by the red Burg bug, though if I had been I imagine the list would be long.

A lot of CA Cabernet but much of that was as much a realization that they didn't turn into Bordeaux after 20 years as it was due to pricing.

All were bought to drink but I'll confess to selling a bunch of Lafite when prices went crazy.

I don't worry about what will happen to prices going forward. I do my cost/benefit analysis as wines are released and decide on a case-by-case (or bottle-by-bottle) basis.

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12610
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#4 Post by J a y H a c k » May 28th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Colgin, stopped a while ago.
Bdx first growths
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
BobMilton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 453
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#5 Post by BobMilton » May 28th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Larkmead - quit when minimum prices crossed $100 (and $200 for Solari)
Alpha Omega - quit when prices on the single vineyard cabs crossed $200 and climbing

Worried about Epoch Estate with their prices climbing towards $100. Will hold out as long as I can.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11657
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#6 Post by alan weinberg » May 28th, 2019, 1:36 pm

most burgundies . . .

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38549
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 28th, 2019, 1:45 pm

No more Gonon St. Joseph for me, since it's got 'popularity pricing' now.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Maxwell A.
Posts: 94
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#8 Post by Maxwell A. » May 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.
We all know there are a lot of common favorites that have become so incredibly expensive (1st Growths, tons of Burgundy, cult Napa stuff etc.) and I'm interested in hearing which you've stopped buying, but I think it might be most interesting hearing at what price points people started to jumping ship. We may have more varying responses in this category. I also think it's interesting when people quote offers they had in years past that were complete steals compared to pricing now (like Josh's Juge Cornas offer).
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13773
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#9 Post by Jay Miller » May 28th, 2019, 1:59 pm

So many...

Chave when it got over $100
Allemand when it got over $150
Clos Rougeard when the 'Clos' broached $100
All grand cru Burgundy but Drouhin Bonnes Mares in particular was one I bought every year
Haut Brion and LMHB when they broached $100
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8643
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#10 Post by Scott Brunson » May 28th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:45 pm
No more Gonon St. Joseph for me, since it's got 'popularity pricing' now.
ditto
plus some Napa cults and lots of Burgundy
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#11 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 28th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Penfolds Grange when it got over $250 a bottle.

Most recently Maybach Materium as it is 200+/- a bottle all in.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Scott E.
Posts: 587
Joined: March 28th, 2013, 11:10 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#12 Post by Scott E. » May 28th, 2019, 2:28 pm

There have been several, but notably (and sadly) Schrader and Myriad Dr. Crane. Schrader was first to go when it went from $175 to $225. A couple of years later, I just decided to cull everything over $100 after the annual expenditures ballooned so badly and I realized that for me, it just wasn't worth it anymore. Cheers!
$.E$te$

dbailey
Posts: 3721
Joined: September 7th, 2009, 8:44 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#13 Post by dbailey » May 28th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Everything now apart from pycm and champagne. Used to buy fairly large amounts of Bordeaux, Burgundy and German Riesling from top tier producers.
Dan

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5020
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#14 Post by Doug Schulman » May 28th, 2019, 3:25 pm

dbailey wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Everything now apart from pycm and champagne. Used to buy fairly large amounts of Bordeaux, Burgundy and German Riesling from top tier producers.
German Riesling got too expensive for you?
ITB - retail sales and education

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14461
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#15 Post by Victor Hong » May 28th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I no longer buy my favorite wines because the vintages are no longer made. [cry.gif]
WineHunter.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20759
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Allemand, Clape and Jamet
2013 was my last vintage, once 2015 pricing went over $150. Admittedly, being 53 and not wanting to plonk down that kind of money for wines that really do need 15 years+ was also a factor.

Figeac got too pricey for me, but I did grab 2014 - a vintage that I love - for $80. I would not pay the current asking price for the new wines.

I lost my allocation on Rougeard in 2012 but doubt that I would pay current prices.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1357
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#17 Post by Josh Grossman » May 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Allemand, Clape and Jamet
2013 was my last vintage, once 2015 pricing went over $150. Admittedly, being 53 and not wanting to plonk down that kind of money for wines that really do need 15 years+ was also a factor.

Figeac got too pricey for me, but I did grab 2014 - a vintage that I love - for $80. I would not pay the current asking price for the new wines.

I lost my allocation on Rougeard in 2012 but doubt that I would pay current prices.
I got the '15 Clape for $139.99 which is still a buy for me. Sorrel was around that too. I look at those two as good as any for Northern Rhone and when stuff gets dramatically more expensive than that, I'll just buy more of that.

User avatar
Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3506
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#18 Post by Eric Ifune » May 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Clos Ste. Hune

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5889
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#19 Post by Markus S » May 28th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:59 pm
So many...

Chave when it got over $100
Allemand when it got over $150
Clos Rougeard when the 'Clos' broached $100
All grand cru Burgundy but Drouhin Bonnes Mares in particular was one I bought every year
Haut Brion and LMHB when they broached $100
You must have a higher tolerance (and surely a higher income), because I stopped Chave when it got above $60, Allemand at $90, and Rougeard at about $80...

Probably the quickest time I've seen prices shoot up has been the last 5-6 years. During the heart of the Great Recession there were some great deals that we may never see again: 1st growths for around a century note for example.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18460
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#20 Post by Alan Rath » May 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Too many Burgs. Allemand as others have mentioned. Gonon hasn't really gone up that much if you can get it at it's actual retail release, but many more people chasing it, so that's become much more difficult. Clape has been mentioned, but it's price increase has been "relatively" reasonable. I got into Rougeard well into it's climb to the stratosphere, but it's now jumped well beyond price threshold. Chave has been over $100 for a couple of decades.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

YLee
Posts: 1025
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#21 Post by YLee » May 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Allemand, Clape and Jamet
2013 was my last vintage, once 2015 pricing went over $150. Admittedly, being 53 and not wanting to plonk down that kind of money for wines that really do need 15 years+ was also a factor.

Figeac got too pricey for me, but I did grab 2014 - a vintage that I love - for $80. I would not pay the current asking price for the new wines.

I lost my allocation on Rougeard in 2012 but doubt that I would pay current prices.
Figeac for $80 is a great price
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20759
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#22 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 28th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Allemand, Clape and Jamet
2013 was my last vintage, once 2015 pricing went over $150. Admittedly, being 53 and not wanting to plonk down that kind of money for wines that really do need 15 years+ was also a factor.

Figeac got too pricey for me, but I did grab 2014 - a vintage that I love - for $80. I would not pay the current asking price for the new wines.

I lost my allocation on Rougeard in 2012 but doubt that I would pay current prices.
I got the '15 Clape for $139.99 which is still a buy for me. Sorrel was around that too. I look at those two as good as any for Northern Rhone and when stuff gets dramatically more expensive than that, I'll just buy more of that.
Yea, solid price. I also considered, I was buying 2015 Gonon for under $50, Benetiere for under $75 and Levet for like $65. And that’s in addition to a slew of other really strong Northern Rhônes. I was more than satisfied. I also bought Clape’s Vin de Amis in 2015, which is damn good.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20759
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#23 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 28th, 2019, 5:11 pm

YLee wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 5:07 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Allemand, Clape and Jamet
2013 was my last vintage, once 2015 pricing went over $150. Admittedly, being 53 and not wanting to plonk down that kind of money for wines that really do need 15 years+ was also a factor.

Figeac got too pricey for me, but I did grab 2014 - a vintage that I love - for $80. I would not pay the current asking price for the new wines.

I lost my allocation on Rougeard in 2012 but doubt that I would pay current prices.
Figeac for $80 is a great price
20% off Total Wine coupon baby!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Ian S
Posts: 219
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#24 Post by Ian S » May 28th, 2019, 5:25 pm

The list of Napa Cabs that went stratospheric is long & distinguished.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#25 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 28th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Scarecrow. Purchased two vintages and I’m done. No need for $400 bottles in my life, even if I can flip. And please...do not PM me asking for my allocation!

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#26 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 28th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Shafer Hillside Select at $250 became too rich for me.

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3008
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#27 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » May 28th, 2019, 5:35 pm

VHR after it passed $150.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2268
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#28 Post by maureen nelson » May 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm

d’Angerville Ducs when it went over $80
Roumier chambolle when it went over $72
Roumier Cras when it went over $95
Roumier Bonnes Mares when it went over $110
Bachelet Charmes when it went over $120
Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes when it went over $115
Mugneret-Gibourg Feusellottes when it went over $85

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9863
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#29 Post by dcornutt » May 28th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Liger-Belair. I used to buy the Clos du Chateau for under $60 US. The Reignots is now outside my comfort zone.
Mugneret-Gibourg.
Roumier.
Mugnier.

I will occasionally slip up and purchase specific bottles. This is my list for every year buys.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Ian Fitzsimmons
Posts: 2895
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 7:17 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#30 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » May 28th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Burgundy.

Maxwell A.
Posts: 94
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#31 Post by Maxwell A. » May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm

As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices. I think it's very enriching and healthy for my wine buying perspective, and should be for anyone that hasn't witnessed the incredible price growth on these wines. If you have always known them to be so expensive, you are more likely to think that they are worth the money, and to chase them until you have tasted and spent enough to realize otherwise. Not saying they aren't great wines and should be cheap, but everyone has to draw the line somewhere.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1808
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#32 Post by Scott Watkins » May 28th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Yeah Gonon damn! Guess I will drink one tonight that I paid $39 for in the not so distant past [swearing.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32211
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#33 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 28th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Clos Ste. Hune
Yup.

Several other folks have mentioned Mugneret-Gibourg. The only reason I still buy is that I got started later than people like Maureen and Don. I rarely buy any grand cru, but still buy as much as I can below that level. That will be the last one I drop.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11657
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#34 Post by alan weinberg » May 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices.
back in the day the wines were available and inexpensive. 90 DRC sat on shelves as did 96 Raveneau, for example. You could take a bottle home, drink it a week or two later, go back to the store a week after that and buy as much as you wanted. Grand cru Raveneau 96 was about $60, 90 La Tâche $233 and other 90 DRC less than that—Echezeaux about $70.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2268
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#35 Post by maureen nelson » May 28th, 2019, 6:46 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Eric Ifune wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Clos Ste. Hune
Yup.

Several other folks have mentioned Mugneret-Gibourg. The only reason I still buy is that I got started later than people like Maureen and Don. I rarely buy any grand cru, but still buy as much as I can below that level. That will be the last one I drop.
Well, I still buy a little MG but i stick to the Chaignots, which I think is a better “value” than the chambolle (and which I actually prefer) and the vosne if I can find it under $85.

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3819
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#36 Post by B. Buzzini » May 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Remember 20yrs ago when 2015 LaTache was only $5000....now its $100,000! Free drone shipping though. [highfive.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1357
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#37 Post by Josh Grossman » May 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices. I think it's very enriching and healthy for my wine buying perspective, and should be for anyone that hasn't witnessed the incredible price growth on these wines. If you have always known them to be so expensive, you are more likely to think that they are worth the money, and to chase them until you have tasted and spent enough to realize otherwise. Not saying they aren't great wines and should be cheap, but everyone has to draw the line somewhere.
I think this is the thread you are looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149984

Maxwell A.
Posts: 94
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#38 Post by Maxwell A. » May 28th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices. I think it's very enriching and healthy for my wine buying perspective, and should be for anyone that hasn't witnessed the incredible price growth on these wines. If you have always known them to be so expensive, you are more likely to think that they are worth the money, and to chase them until you have tasted and spent enough to realize otherwise. Not saying they aren't great wines and should be cheap, but everyone has to draw the line somewhere.
I think this is the thread you are looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149984
Ah, excellent! Thanks for the link, Josh. I'll have to dive into that thread when I get a moment.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

Maxwell A.
Posts: 94
Joined: October 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#39 Post by Maxwell A. » May 28th, 2019, 7:11 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices.
back in the day the wines were available and inexpensive. 90 DRC sat on shelves as did 96 Raveneau, for example. You could take a bottle home, drink it a week or two later, go back to the store a week after that and buy as much as you wanted. Grand cru Raveneau 96 was about $60, 90 La Tâche $233 and other 90 DRC less than that—Echezeaux about $70.
Sounds like a lovely time...
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

theocorrel
Posts: 175
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#40 Post by theocorrel » May 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I bought '99 La Tache in about 2001-2 for about $327. It was part of a whole parcel of DRC I bought - with the '99 La Tache the only one I couldn't bring myself to drink as it had gone over $4,000. HDH auctioned it for me a year ago at about $5,000.

These numbers sound good - except in 1967-8 my father received a $30 birthday present from his mother, and promptly went out & bought 1 DRC Romanee Conti, 1 La Tache & 1 Grands Echezeaux all 1962 with the $30. Thankfully, he did believe in allowing the kids to have a bit of wine with dinner, so I did get to have them - even though I was probably only 7 or 8 years old.

To the OP's question, after 25 years, my Burgundy purchases - the wine I love over all others - are diminished.

Martin Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 167
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 1:43 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#41 Post by Martin Petersen » May 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Giacosa Red labels when they passed €200
Vietti Villero Riserva also crossed the €200 mark
Roagna VV bottlings are now also sadly €150+ and thus gone for me

Still buy Soldera at even higher prices so no logic, just passion and a bit of sanity

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14415
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#42 Post by Craig G » May 28th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:11 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Maxwell A. wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
As someone that has only been buying wine for only 5 years, a lot of these numbers are eye opening...It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of these wines were once fairly accessible. It's so interesting for me to hear these former prices.
back in the day the wines were available and inexpensive. 90 DRC sat on shelves as did 96 Raveneau, for example. You could take a bottle home, drink it a week or two later, go back to the store a week after that and buy as much as you wanted. Grand cru Raveneau 96 was about $60, 90 La Tâche $233 and other 90 DRC less than that—Echezeaux about $70.
Sounds like a lovely time...
Well, I couldn’t afford $233 at the time either :-)

I did buy a few bottles of 1990 Margaux and Cheval Blanc, though!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2754
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#43 Post by Andrew Demaree » May 28th, 2019, 10:40 pm

BobMilton wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Larkmead - quit when minimum prices crossed $100
Yep. Was my favorite wine, too.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18048
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#44 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 29th, 2019, 2:44 am

Allemand. Last I bought was Chaillot at $140 and Reynard at $220. My tolerance might be 10% - 15% above that, but that pricing doesn't seem to exist these days.

Rochioli. West Block when it moved beyond $100. The Chards. when they passed low $60s; admittedly, there is a palate shift factor at work here, too, but I do believe I'd still be a buyer at, or below, the aformentioned prices.

Rhys. The recent price increases weeded-out some of their wines for me. Bearwallow Pinot at $79 (or is it $69 now?) is more than I want to pay. Porcupine Hill at $99 (up from $79) is too much for a wine I still haven't tried. Bearwallow Chard. is probably a thing of my past. And I reluctantly bought Skyline, Horseshoe, and Alpine Pinots at their new pricing. If the Hillsides move up from $149 (and I'm assuming they will), I'll probably drop those in favor of some high-quality 1er Burgs with proven track records. Quite frankly, I have way too much Rhys already, and really don't mind Rhys forcing my hand here.

I dropped Schrader when they went from $175 to $225, and that was probably a blessing because I really should have been buying Bdx. all along.

Rayas. A couple(?) years ago I snagged an '05 CdP Reserve at a price that was, and still would be, a big splash-out for me ($350). Pricing seems to have doubled, and is way out of my league now. I loved their Pialade around $30, but laugh at the current $100 pricing.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2950
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#45 Post by Mike Evans » May 29th, 2019, 4:57 am

maureen nelson wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm
d’Angerville Ducs when it went over $80
Roumier chambolle when it went over $72
Roumier Cras when it went over $95
Roumier Bonnes Mares when it went over $110
Bachelet Charmes when it went over $120
Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes when it went over $115
Mugneret-Gibourg Feusellottes when it went over $85
Most of these and at about the same point. I’ll add Dujac CSD and CDlR when they went over $130.

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1826
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#46 Post by Jayson Cohen » May 29th, 2019, 5:26 am

Almost all red and white Burg, but most sorely missed:
Rousseau
Mugneret Gibourg (esp Vosne, Feusollottes, and Clos Vougeot)
Roumier (esp Chambolle village)
Ramonet
Raveneau
Dauvissat (PC on the cusp; GC too much already)

Cheval Blanc
VCC (on the cusp)

Allemand

Giacosa
G. Mascarello (Monprivato on the cusp)
Last edited by Jayson Cohen on May 29th, 2019, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7109
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#47 Post by K John Joseph » May 29th, 2019, 5:53 am

Dominus is the first that comes to mind, going from under $100 to more than $225 in the Dallas market. Shafer HSS, Phelps Insignia are two other Napas. But even stuff like Bergstrom and Rhys single vineyards have steadily gone up and up and up. Other sad ones are Dom and Krug, which seem determined to make big price jumps nearly every year. Leflaive is another that went up so high and so quickly that I fell aside.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5497
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am
Location: Philly Suburbs

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#48 Post by Bud Carey » May 29th, 2019, 5:58 am

Kosta Browne 4 Barrel, when they jacked the price up $35 per bottle.
Budman

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20759
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 29th, 2019, 6:03 am

I forgot about Dominus. My last purchase was the 2008. I also wonder whether the winery has seen a bit of a stylistic change. I had the 2013 and 2015 Napanooks, and they are big fruit bombs.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2193
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Favorite Wines You No Longer Buy Due to Pricing

#50 Post by Robert M yers » May 29th, 2019, 6:12 am

I know they are considered relative values to this day, but I dropped Carlisle due to price increases. We were on the list very early and before there were just an insane amount of SVD wines. So these were basically our cellar defenders, pop open without a thought and a Tuesday night ect. As prices crept up to the 40’s for many it just didn’t fit our approach anymore.

I still keep thinking I want to email Mike and see if he’ll put me back on the waiting list just so I could be offered the appellation wines again, I should have just kept ordering those as we do miss the incredible value there.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”