Virtual Tasting--PINOT NOIR from anywhere. May 5th - May 12th

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Virtual Tasting--PINOT NOIR from anywhere. May 5th - May 12th

#51 Post by Anton D » May 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm

A kind person poured me some 2016 Maybach pinot noir. I didn’t know it existed!!

Lush is a good starting point. Deep red fruit, lingers on the finish and makes its way to the back of the nose.

Lovely!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Brian Glas

#52 Post by Brian Glas » May 11th, 2019, 7:10 pm

• 2016 Haden Fig Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/11/2019)
    Opened 90 minutes ago. This really needs some time to show its true stuff. Very tight after opening. Very expressive cherry notes on the palate. Good crisp acidity that provides balance to the rich fruit. Very long and persistent finish. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Frank Murray III » May 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Some of these 2017 RM Pinot Noirs are outstanding. The team at RM really nailed the Occidental and now, this Platt. Damn.
  • 2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/11/2019)
    ####! I had not had this bottling, and had passed on it within my last order. What was in my glass tonight after an hour of air was fantastic. I didn't take notes but we drank this at room temp, so outside it was in the low 70s in the shade at dusk. This had beautiful depth, a mix of red and black fruit, with a superb polish and some dried red fruit in the finish to round it out. This was as good as the 2017 RM Occidental that I had a few weeks ago, and I put that wine on my WOTY list. Well, you know what, this is going on the list, too. FWIW, I wasn't wowed by the 2017 RM Silver Eagle last weekend, but I have to say that both the 2017 Occidental and Platt are dialed in, fantastic wines. Wow.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Randy Bowman » May 11th, 2019, 7:57 pm

2015 Hartford Court Russian River Valley Pinot Noir: 14.5 ABV. Blackberry and kitchen spice with a medium length finish that shows some of the RRV Cola notes. No change after 30 minutes open, the acidity remains solid and is ready to challenge food. Bet it will be the same 5 years from now.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Peter Petersen » May 11th, 2019, 8:18 pm

8859AA5E-8F2F-4BDC-9615-50F441FA50B6.jpeg
A decent $30 Burg if not quite as complete as the one I posted upstream as it is a bit more delineated and strict on the palate. All in all I’m sad the the best Burgs are way too expensive, but there is still a lot of good ones that are affordable.
My goal for this and next year, however, is to also find several Oregon producers that fit my palate.

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Mike Grammer » May 13th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Sorry to be late with this, forgot to post notes, but from May 8th.

2015 Kutch Bohan PN

Was keen to try one of these after not having had it since FallTacular a couple years ago. I tend to want to be patient with this vineyard, but this bottling may persuade me otherwise. There was a tremendous purity and clearness about the wine, both in nose and mouth, with fine red berry fruit and some bing cherry mixed in. Everything is balanced and good carry at the back. Enjoyed by all 4 who tasted it, and their taste preferences do vary.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by PeterH » May 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I nabbed a few Lutum Pinot Noir closeouts, and they arrived last week.
Yesterday I opened the

2015 Lutum Rita's Crown Pinot Noir

The wine is fairly dense, medium bodied, and well balanced. Perhaps too balanced. Nothing stood out except for an excessive cinnamon/nutmeg spiciness that some might enjoy more than I do. The whole impression was monolitic rather than seamless.
Perhaps with time subtleties will develop.

For some contrast I opened a

2008 Le Cadeau Rocheux

This is drinking at it's peak. The fruit is spread out over a wide red to dark spectrum, with a better acid backbone than the Lutum.
It is not a shy wine, and will never reach greatness, but it is right on target for a tasty Mother's day dinner wine.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mike Grammer » May 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

My only taste of that producer was 3.5 years ago, Peter. Based on that taste, I'd probably end up agreeing with you about peak performance:

"2009 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir

Rugged scents of cherry, pine wood, underbrush and small roasted nutmeg component. Palate has good carry and acidity, with pretty pure raspberry and bright cherry fruit, but this to me is still a good deal too young. I think the secondary levels are there, but you won't see them for about 5 years."

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Mike Grammer » May 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Anton D wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 12:26 am

Google Martyn Joseph for a treat, he plays guitar like Bruce Cockburn!
Really? OK, I will, 'cause that is going some! Thanks Anton. Sorry for the tanjink on the thread, but wanted to respond/note/thank.

Return to “Wine Talk”