Which Carlisle are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Scott E.

Re: Which Carlisle are you drinking?

#1351 Post by Scott E. » March 25th, 2019, 8:14 am

MikeHill wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 9:45 pm
2012 Monte Rosso Zin. Can’t imagine this being any better, a wonderful spectrum of fruit, some spice, not hot or jammy at all. Crowd pleaser for sure. Went great with some home made Trinidadian food, although I had to stay away from the hot sauce.
I totally agree. Consumed my only two bottles over the last couple of months and enjoyed every sip - very complex Zin, both on the nose and the palate. Cheers!
$.E$te$

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1352 Post by Andrew Demaree » March 25th, 2019, 7:34 pm

9C702B69-2AA1-40BE-99D5-9C6FA41AB93C.jpeg
2012, in case that’s hard to make out. Good stuff and seems to be at peak.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1353 Post by dsimmons » March 29th, 2019, 12:50 pm

2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Limerick Lane Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/28/2019)
A wow zin for me. Simply delicious zin. PnP and drank with chicken breasts in tomato sauce and pasta. Balanced fruit and spice. Guarantee this one will disappear quickly. Drink or hold. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
D o n

David Lewin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1354 Post by David Lewin » April 1st, 2019, 9:54 pm

Ten of us joined Mike and Kendall Officer yesterday at our 13th annual dinner. It was my turn to select the flights, and we had the first six vintages of Compagni Portis (bringing six glasses is pretty much the limit); flights of 2012 Zinfandel; 2013 non-Zinfandels; and Mike’s choice of wines from the 2017 vintage. Petro’s in Manhattan Beach was great.

All the Compagni Portises (Portisi?) were good. The 2010 was resolved, drinking well, but should last. The 2011 was the lightest and most advanced. The 2012 was a step up, bigger and richer and probably the group favorite. I thought the 2013, 2014, and 2015 all would benefit from more age. As a side note, my favorite Compagni Portis is the vibrant 2017 which I tasted at Falltacular, and I would drink that young or wait several years. Mike subsequently tasted another bottle of the 2011 and found it "fresh and lively," and attributed this showing to an issue with the cork. I should note that two years ago when we did a Derivative vertical, the 2011 was one of the group favorites and in no ways advanced.

I thought that the 2012’s were the best Zinfandels for current drinking (Mike may give that honor to the 2011’s). We had the Sonoma (which hung in there with the big boys), DuPratt (more acidic, less friendly), and the big three – Carlisle Vineyard (CVZ) (beautiful, compact), Montafi (rich and thick), and Papera (best nose, very balanced),. The group preference tied with the first two. I probably favored the CVZ over the Papera and four of these wines should drink well for the next couple of years. The exception is the Montafi which, again in my opinion, was never better than the first time I tasted it several years ago (probably at one of these dinners). While still nice (four of us thought it the best wine of the flight), I think it should be consumed soon and will drink mine in the next few months.

I tend to like my wines with more age than many and think that these 2013’s could all benefit from a few more years (at least). We had the Alicante Bouschet (rich, some acidity, big, needs time); Grenache (very nice, drinking well but will last); Mourvedre (light body, great flavors); Sonoma Petite (very tannic, needs lots of time); James Berry Syrah (corked, one of the very few times that has happened, and we’ve had well over 200 wines in these tastings); and Two Acres (drinking better than it should, structured, tannic).

Mike sent us his 2017 Pinot Noir (yes, Pinot Noir), Cabernet (yes, Cabernet), CVZ and Montafi Zinfandels, and Rosella's and James Berry Syrahs. The first two were made in very small quantities, the Pinot in this vintage only, but he will continue to make the Cabernet. The Pinot was medium weight, 13.6 alcohol, with nice acid to balance it. Mike wanted to make an old-school, mountain grown Cabernet, and he did. 13.8 alcohol, very tannic, I’m not sure I can outlive it (I’m 69) if I’m fortunate enough to be allocated any. The CVZ was backwards and tannic and will need some age. The Montafi was more forward, rick and drinkable (although I will age mine a few years). For the Rosella and James Berry Syrahs, wines 22 and 23, my notes read tannic and very tannic.

David
Last edited by David Lewin on April 12th, 2019, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1355 Post by dsimmons » April 2nd, 2019, 2:30 pm

2010 Carlisle Zinfandel Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (4/2/2019)
Drank my last bottle of this last night with Burgers. It has been a good one and a great QPR. Still sporting big zin fruits and beautiful balance. Gaining the elegance I enjoy in high quality aged zin. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
D o n

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1356 Post by Peter Petersen » April 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

I'll add a few useless remarks to David's excellent report.

It was very interesting to see how well these whites were doing. My feeling is that all of Mike's whites have aged extremely well. As I have 2 each of the '10 and '11 C-P I'll be able to retest these this summer. There were very clear vintage differences, but all the wines were good in their own way. Will also say that the '17 version is a winner. Just popped it last night on David's recommendation.

The '12 Zins all drank extremely well. Initially Montafi was a front runner for me, but the CVZ very clearly took the prize after about 20 mins in the glass. These wines seem to offer maximum pleasure right now, lots of fruit and easy on the palate. No need to wait to [cheers.gif]

The '13 flight was extremely interesting. The winner for me was the TA, which drank much better than I'd have expected. The Grenache was close in quality, wonderful to have a transparent medium bodied Grenache from CA. The Mouvedre was also drinking surprisingly well. Don't hesitate to pop a bottle if you have some. The Alicante and Pet were both very dense, so waiting might be the right way to go with these.

The '17 wines were also great. We've heard about the challenges of this vintage (similar to 2010), but there was no sign of imbalance or heat on these wines (smoke was clearly not an issue as they were all picked before the fires). The PN and Cab were both elegant, and I really mean elegant. I'd be happy to buy these, if given a chance. But for those who generally like to drink CA cab it is probably fair to extend a warning. This wine is not opaque, it has a medium mouthfeel once you have conditioned yourself to the tannins, and many will not be able to get past those tannins. It'll need a minimum of 10 years to come around. I loved the Montafi and will not complain that it broke the $40 barrier, the CVZ will need time, but appears to be another classic CVZ. The two Syrahs were, well, Syrahs. Exotic, dense, and structured.

Great evening as usual and thanks to Kendall and Mike for coming down [cheers.gif]

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1357 Post by Rich Brown » April 3rd, 2019, 2:38 pm

Love these notes David and Peter, especially around the CP vertical! Have 1 left of 2010-2012 (then more of 13's on up), and am not in a hurry to drink any of them....but sounds like I should think about the 11 first. One of my favorite domestic whites. Thanks again for posting!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1358 Post by Michael Martin » April 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm

‘17 Sonoma County Zin. Was hoping for a little more balance. Kinda ripe and sweetish. Only had half a glass. Recorking and will revisit tomorrow.

James Ka

#1359 Post by James Ka » April 5th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm
‘17 Sonoma County Zin. Was hoping for a little more balance. Kinda ripe and sweetish. Only had half a glass. Recorking and will revisit tomorrow.
Same for us tonight, same reaction. Will also check tomorrow. This is our first ever bottle of Carlisle.
Ka.|ser

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1360 Post by Peter Petersen » April 5th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 2:38 pm
Love these notes David and Peter, especially around the CP vertical! Have 1 left of 2010-2012 (then more of 13's on up), and am not in a hurry to drink any of them....but sounds like I should think about the 11 first. One of my favorite domestic whites. Thanks again for posting!
Rich, you know where to find them, but there is no guarantee they stay here forever :-)

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1361 Post by Michael Martin » April 5th, 2019, 6:59 pm

James Ka wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Same for us tonight, same reaction. Will also check tomorrow. This is our first ever bottle of Carlisle.
This bottling is not indicative of Carlisle, trust me.

M Officer

#1362 Post by M Officer » April 5th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Michael Martine wrote:‘17 Sonoma County Zin. Was hoping for a little more balance. Kinda ripe and sweetish. Only had half a glass. Recorking and will revisit tomorrow.
Very sorry the '17 Sonoma County is floating your boat. Just an FYI, the wine has 0.4 g/L r.s. That's pretty bone dry. But as I indicated in our drinkability chart, even though this is our county-designated Zinfandel, I really do believe it needs a couple of years to show its best. The vineyard designates are more ready to drink than this wine. (The same is true of our Sonoma County Syrah.)

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1363 Post by Michael Martin » April 5th, 2019, 7:26 pm

M Officer wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Michael Martine wrote:‘17 Sonoma County Zin. Was hoping for a little more balance. Kinda ripe and sweetish. Only had half a glass. Recorking and will revisit tomorrow.
Very sorry the '17 Sonoma County is floating your boat. Just an FYI, the wine has 0.4 g/L r.s. That's pretty bone dry. But as I indicated in our drinkability chart, even though this is our county-designated Zinfandel, I really do believe it needs a couple of years to show its best. The vineyard designates are more ready to drink than this wine. (The same is true of our Sonoma County Syrah.)

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike. I leave my others in the back of the cellar for awhile.

Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#1364 Post by Dale McClaran » April 6th, 2019, 7:51 am

16 PS Palisades Vineyard - in a word, wow. One of the best young Carlisles I have ever had and very much worth a go if you have a few of these.
GO HAWKS!

James Ka

#1365 Post by James Ka » April 6th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 6:59 pm
James Ka wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
No fears here. It seemed to open up nicely this evening and is now empty. As I said, first bottle. Fresh from UPS, but with all the talk on here, we could not wait even a day. Three other zins and two syrah downstairs, will let them mellow for a bit.
Ka.|ser

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1366 Post by Michael Martin » April 6th, 2019, 5:18 pm

James Ka wrote:
April 6th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 6:59 pm
James Ka wrote:

No fears here. It seemed to open up nicely this evening and is now empty. As I said, first bottle. Fresh from UPS, but with all the talk on here, we could not wait even a day. Three other zins and two syrah downstairs, will let them mellow for a bit.
Day 2 is a whole lot better. The ripeness is gone and the wine shows more spice and verve. I’ll take Mike’s advice and sit on these.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1367 Post by Paul Miller » April 8th, 2019, 7:23 pm

I Pobega’ed the 2017 SC Zin. Definitely killed a baby tonight.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1368 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » April 9th, 2019, 4:41 am

Opened a 2013 Carlisle Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel (among others) on Sunday for a small gathering at my house. Went quickly! I had one glass and it was delicious.

Brian Lynch

#1369 Post by Brian Lynch » April 11th, 2019, 9:08 am

14 Montafi was rock solid recently. What a vineyard and excellent winemaking by the team!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1370 Post by Michael Martin » April 12th, 2019, 5:03 pm

2017 Dry Creek. Very enjoyable. All in balance. Classic Carlisle.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1371 Post by Ed Steinway » April 13th, 2019, 11:23 am

Our last 2012 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel. A beautifully crafted wine that was drinking very well last night.

Ed

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1372 Post by Dave H. » April 13th, 2019, 6:48 pm

2014 Old vines Russian River Valley Zin- This is in a great spot, but pretty sure it’s been good drinking since release. Bright raspberry liqueur, fresh and lively zin. Probably not evolving much, but likely not going south for a long, long time. Love the screwcap.
Hendrik

ky1em!ttskus

#1373 Post by ky1em!ttskus » April 13th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Dave H. wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 6:48 pm
2014 Old vines Russian River Valley Zin- This is in a great spot, but pretty sure it’s been good drinking since release. Bright raspberry liqueur, fresh and lively zin. Probably not evolving much, but likely not going south for a long, long time. Love the screwcap.
Yeah, that ‘14 is crazy good.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1374 Post by Frank Murray III » April 16th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Folks, aside from Dale this past December, has anyone took the plunge into the 2016 Alicante Bouschet? I have just two of them and I remember drinking it from barrel. It may be the darkest wine I have ever seen, even darker than the Mending Wall Palisades Petite, which is damn near black.

There is just 1, a single TN in CT right now--that's it. Anyone else had it from bottle since they arrived?
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Occidental Ridge SC
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1375 Post by Peter Petersen » April 16th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Frank, not me as I don’t own any. However, we just drank the ‘13 against other Carlisle wines that were not Zin. Many found it profound, it was most certainly dense, and likely as intense as any PS I’ve ever had.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1376 Post by Jeff Vaughan » April 17th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I have a bottle of the 2013 Alicante Bouschet that I have been wondering when to drink. Peter, should I pull the cork?
CT: outplaying

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1377 Post by Peter Petersen » April 17th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Jeff, it is definitely ready to drink. Very dark and intense. It’ll probably also hold for another 5 years at least.

Gabe Berk

#1378 Post by Gabe Berk » April 17th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Opened a 2013 Pagani Ranch Zin after dinner few days back. Wow?!!! Stuff was amazing. Had to have some dark chocolate with it being it was so massive and concentrated. If you all have some, definitely have it with some food as the wine by itself is almost too much. I'd imagine the bottle can hold up for another 7-10 years.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1379 Post by Frank Murray III » April 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Frank, not me as I don’t own any. However, we just drank the ‘13 against other Carlisle wines that were not Zin. Many found it profound, it was most certainly dense, and likely as intense as any PS I’ve ever had.
I'll find an excuse to do one blind in the next few months and then post a TN. I had thought about doing one a few weeks ago but it was an evening dinner and I didn't want the color of that wine to not be appreciated. I'll open one during an afternoon event where the color will pop, and give it a pile of air too the morning of.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1380 Post by Ed Steinway » April 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
Folks, aside from Dale this past December, has anyone took the plunge into the 2016 Alicante Bouschet? I have just two of them and I remember drinking it from barrel. It may be the darkest wine I have ever seen, even darker than the Mending Wall Palisades Petite, which is damn near black.

There is just 1, a single TN in CT right now--that's it. Anyone else had it from bottle since they arrived?
I am in the same spot as you, Frank. I purchased two of them but I have put them aside for a while. Mike's tasting note suggests to hold off until 2022, so I am going to do my best to be patient about opening those. Hope all is well with you!

Ed

ky1em!ttskus

#1381 Post by ky1em!ttskus » April 17th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
I'll find an excuse to do one blind in the next few months and then post a TN. I had thought about doing one a few weeks ago but it was an evening dinner and I didn't want the color of that wine to not be appreciated. I'll open one during an afternoon event where the color will pop, and give it a pile of air too the morning of.
Let’s pop one this summer! I have only one, but I’m willing to feed it to the sacrificial volcano. ;)

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1382 Post by dsimmons » April 18th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Had a 2016 Derivative last night. It was really singing. Fruity, crisp with great balance.
D o n

markjchambers

#1383 Post by markjchambers » April 19th, 2019, 9:12 am

Wow, everyone has shown great restraint. My 12 were gone years ago.

I'm trying hard not to touch my 16 zins, but they're calling to me. I do have some older
single varietals including 2007 and 08 carignan and mourvedre and lots of 15 Palisades PS.

HiltonDG

#1384 Post by HiltonDG » April 19th, 2019, 10:06 am

Frank Murray III wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
That's my TN on CT. I did not decant the wine, so that was probably my first mistake. It wasn't giving up much other than a lot of tannin in my opinion. I would hold off until 2022 per Mike's notes. I have 3 more bottles in my cellar. Holding off opening another for a long while.
David Hilton

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1385 Post by Frank Murray III » April 20th, 2019, 8:31 am

David, I had some back and forth on email with Mr O and we agreed that I would open and share after I decanted it for about 4 months. [wink.gif]

Actually, he recommended a lot of air, and for those who drink with me (the few who are brave) know that I like acidity and structure so I may do just fine with this wine. But how did you get 3-4 bottles? Nice.

Kyle, I will accept your offer. We'll find some way to get you and that bottle into my backyard soon with the gang.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Scott E.

#1386 Post by Scott E. » May 26th, 2019, 2:44 pm

2012 Montafi - This bottle is singing! Classic zin on the nose and on the palate. Sniff and sip, sniff and sip... I could do this all day long with this wine. Really nice. Cheers!
$.E$te$

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1387 Post by Andrew Demaree » May 26th, 2019, 3:35 pm

That ‘12 Montafi really is a beautiful wine and, to my palate, is drinking at peak at the moment.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1388 Post by AlexS » May 26th, 2019, 5:34 pm

+2, although I think it could go longer.

2011, 2012 & 2013 - such an amazing trio of vintages for Carlisle.
s t e w @ r t

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1389 Post by P Intag » May 27th, 2019, 1:31 pm

2013 Carlisle Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/26/2019)
15.7% abv.
This has come together since my last bottle about three years ago, with the oak integrating a bit and the tannin and structure resolving as well. Very rich and brooding, full through the mid-palate, and with a heavy mouthfeel. The strong oak signature on this rose above all -- really not my preference. Stood up very well to the BBQ pork ribs and grilled chicken. Overall, this was very good, and the extra time in bottle helped quite a bit, but this is the heavier side of Carlisle Zin, and I prefer the lighter side. (89 pts.)
Paul

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1390 Post by Steve Gautier » May 27th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Scott E. wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 2:44 pm
2012 Montafi - This bottle is singing! Classic zin on the nose and on the palate. Sniff and sip, sniff and sip... I could do this all day long with this wine. Really nice. Cheers!
Wow. This is wonderful.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1391 Post by Steve Gautier » June 6th, 2019, 11:59 am

For those that have 2008s left, Carlisle just updated their website drinkability chart for all 2008s.

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1392 Post by Steve Gautier » June 7th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Now they just updated all of the 2009s on the drinkability chart.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1393 Post by Michael Martin » June 8th, 2019, 7:17 am

Next release July 17th.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1394 Post by T Welch » June 16th, 2019, 10:49 am

A 2012 Bedrock Vineyard Zin consumed last night was absolutely delicious. And with the added Petite Sirah and Alicante Bouschet I think it should drink well for several years.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1395 Post by Bud Carey » June 16th, 2019, 11:03 am

2014 Compagni Portis... stunningly good.
Budman

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1396 Post by dsimmons » June 16th, 2019, 11:34 am

Bud Carey wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
I've liked each vintage but I believe that the '12 Compagni Portis was my favorite Carlisle white wine to date.
D o n

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1397 Post by Peter Petersen » June 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

2010 C-P and it is in a perfect spot. Wonder if this wouldn’t go another 9 years given how fresh it is.

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1398 Post by David H. » June 16th, 2019, 7:39 pm

2014 Rosella's Vineyard Syrah.

This bad boy is ready for drinking, in a really nice place. PnP and drank over four hours, gorgeous wine.
H @ y c º c k

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1399 Post by David H. » June 16th, 2019, 7:39 pm

dsimmons wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 11:34 am
Bud Carey wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
I've liked each vintage but I believe that the '12 Compagni Portis was my favorite Carlisle white wine to date.
Agreed on enjoying each vintage. Probably my favorite white blend and a real crowd pleaser.
H @ y c º c k

Mike DiSalvo

#1400 Post by Mike DiSalvo » June 17th, 2019, 5:40 am

David H. wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 7:39 pm
2014 Rosella's Vineyard Syrah.

This bad boy is ready for drinking, in a really nice place. PnP and drank over four hours, gorgeous wine.
I had the 2013 a couple of weeks back and it was nearly a "WOW" wine.

Return to “Wine Talk”