CT - Access Denied, you make me cry

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

CT - Access Denied, you make me cry

#1 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 20th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Curious as to why more people don't allow the contents of their cellars to be seen online in CT. What's the big deal? It's fun to peruse other cellars, especially when you find someone with a similar palate. We need more share bears.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: CT - Access Denied, you make me cry

#2 Post by Tom Reddick » March 20th, 2019, 9:32 pm

I keep mine private because I do not want local friends seeing how much of a share I get of certain cherries. It prevents all kinds of trouble.

That said- I have on occasion gone browsing when reading TNs all over the map for a given wine and wondering what else those tasters are collecting and drinking that might explain such variances in TN experience.

One thing that really strikes me- in the cases where the cellar is viewable- is just how many people have 1 bottle each, maybe 2, of most of what they have. It is a difficult strategy for me to fathom.

Perhaps it makes sense in the context of the market, but my reaction to the higher prices and tougher allocations has been to dramatically shrink the number of different wines I buy so that I can keep getting 6-12 of each in most cases, much more for select vintages of certain wines like Magdelaine that I happen to favor. I grew up in a home where much emphasis was placed on the joy of seeing the same wine many times repeatedly as it evolved- and with an emphasis on midweight vintages versus the superstars- so maybe that is part of it. But from what I have seen on CT- having a bottle here and there of a much wider selection would appear to be the new normal.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Steve Brickley » March 20th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Just sent you a friend request. You are welcome to view my cellar. I am one of those one or two bottlers with quite a few 3 to 6+. For me the decision on the quantity has to do with having a greater variety. I do understand your wish to secure a good quantity. I don’t buy many wines from direct allocation so taking two bottles is an easy option for me. Meanwhile, I’ll take a look at your cellar so to what goodies you have by the case.
Steve

Grant Wendland

#4 Post by Grant Wendland » March 21st, 2019, 3:06 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:32 pm

One thing that really strikes me- in the cases where the cellar is viewable- is just how many people have 1 bottle each, maybe 2, of most of what they have. It is a difficult strategy for me to fathom.
I'm all about variety. Life is too short to keep drinking the same wine.

Otto Forsberg

#5 Post by Otto Forsberg » March 21st, 2019, 4:04 am

Grant Wendland wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 3:06 am
Tom Reddick wrote:

I'm sailing on this boat as well.

Rich Salsano

#6 Post by Rich Salsano » March 21st, 2019, 4:09 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 4:04 am
Grant Wendland wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:

Agreed. I have tons of variety with most quantities in the 2 or 3 bottle count. It’s nice having access to almost any sort of wine for the right occasion. I could not afford or have the space to do that in case quantities.
Richard Salsano

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by ykwon » March 21st, 2019, 4:25 am

Rich Salsano wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 4:09 am
Otto Forsberg wrote:
Grant Wendland wrote:

Agreed. I have tons of variety with most quantities in the 2 or 3 bottle count. It’s nice having access to almost any sort of wine for the right occasion. I could not afford or have the space to do that in case quantities.
+1
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 21st, 2019, 4:29 am

Grant Wendland wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:

If you drink the way Tom does you don't mind drinking the same wines.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Markus S

#9 Post by Markus S » March 21st, 2019, 4:32 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
Surely you are familiar with the 'one-and-done' phenomena in college sports? [thumbs-up.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#10 Post by Markus S » March 21st, 2019, 4:38 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
Grant Wendland wrote:
Tom Reddick wrote:

Yep. Let a thousand flowers bloom.
$ _ € ® e . k @

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 21st, 2019, 4:54 am

Just did a quantity sort in CT. Basically half of my cellar is wines that were purchased in 6+ bottle lots. The other half is small lots. Often I was only offered 1 or 2 of a given wine. The other typical reason is that I wanted to limit a mailing list purchase to 6 or 12 bottles total, so I took 2 each of multiple wines. Normally I try to stick to 3 at a minimum, but sometimes the variety bug kicks in (e.g. most recent Sandlands offer, where my purchased case has no more than 2 of any given wine).

Sarah Kirschbaum

#12 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 21st, 2019, 7:15 am

Back to the original topic, I keep private for a number of reasons, including to avoid comments, judgements, and assumptions. Lots of folks are simply curious and benevolent, but not everyone is. My cellar used to be public, and I had several incidents with people looking and commenting, sometimes publicly, in a way that made me uncomfortable.

Rob Lynch

#13 Post by Rob Lynch » March 21st, 2019, 7:23 am

Yeah, I could do without the whole comment thing, even on tasting notes. I write a note you disagree with: write your own. You don't need to call me out because our palates disagree.

AndrewH

#14 Post by AndrewH » March 21st, 2019, 7:27 am

Re original question - the privacy controls (so far as I can tell) are not very granular. I don't really want to have just anyone be able to see my full cellar for a variety of reasons, including value and extent. I'm not looking to "show it off". I wouldn't mind a setting that allowed someone to see that also have a bottle of X wine if that person was searching for "who else owns this" or simply price/store/etc. info. But I don't think it's possible to share things only in certain ways (and I'm not asking Eric to undertake what would probably be a really challenging task to do.)

As for 1s and 2s. I'd love to buy a case of everything I buy, but I have neither the money or space to do so. As my cellar has grown, outpacing my consumption (and probably outpacing even projected consumption as wines age) I've realized I can't/shouldn't buy even 6, or 4, or 3 of most wines and should settle for 1 or 2. Yeah, it's disappointing if I really like the wine, but then I realize I have plenty of others to try and enjoy as well.
Andrew H e i m e r t

AndrewH

#15 Post by AndrewH » March 21st, 2019, 7:29 am

Rob Lynch wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:23 am
Yeah, I could do without the whole comment thing, even on tasting notes. I write a note you disagree with: write your own. You don't need to call me out because our palates disagree.
To me that's improper use of the comment feature, not a reason to eliminate it.

Properly used the comments can help fill out a useful note.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Sarah Kirschbaum

#16 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 21st, 2019, 7:36 am

AndrewH wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:29 am
Rob Lynch wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:23 am
To me that's improper use of the comment feature, not a reason to eliminate it.

Properly used the comments can help fill out a useful note.
I actually meant comments on online forums and at events, not on CT. I've never had issue with comments on my tasting notes, which I do sometimes make public.

Markus S

#17 Post by Markus S » March 21st, 2019, 7:40 am

AndrewH wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:27 am
As for 1s and 2s. I'd love to buy a case of everything I buy, but I have neither the money or space to do so. As my cellar has grown, outpacing my consumption (and probably outpacing even projected consumption as wines age) I've realized I can't/shouldn't buy even 6, or 4, or 3 of most wines and should settle for 1 or 2. Yeah, it's disappointing if I really like the wine, but then I realize I have plenty of others to try and enjoy as well.
And there are NEW vintages each and every year, which means even more to buy! Honestly, the pressures to BUY in this 'hobby' are immense: "have to buy cases", "need to take my allocation", "limited amount"....and on-and-on.
$ _ € ® e . k @

GregT

#18 Post by GregT » March 21st, 2019, 7:46 am

Curious as to why more people don't allow the contents of their cellars to be seen online in CT. What's the big deal? It's fun to peruse other cellars, especially when you find someone with a similar palate. We need more share bears.
Interesting question. I would wonder exactly the opposite - why anybody would ever make their cellar public. It would never occur to me, unless someone wanted to show off to the people who cared about such things. But it's kind of like anything else right? You don't show off how many socks you have, or shoes or guns or books or whatever unless you get some kind of pleasure out of publicizing your possessions.

And then, as is happening in this thread, people question the purchases of other people. Doesn't seem like it's valuable information.

Maybe it's just a personal thing though. People post all kinds of stuff on Facebook and elsewhere that some of us would never think of publicizing, and some folks make mini-careers out of doing it.

Different strokes I guess.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by C. Mc Cart » March 21st, 2019, 8:00 am

I'm of the opposite mindset as well. I use it for inventory purposes and to mine some data on what may or may not be drinking well. Why would everyone want to publicize what for many would be a multi $100 thousand asset and their location? Stealing the contents of a home wine cellar may not be easy logistically but a criminal could easily assume that same person might have other more easily stolen assets at their home. I don't publicly use my name, location or cellar contents on CT.
The world has become public enough, feels good to keep a few things to oneself.
Chris

julianseersmartin

#20 Post by julianseersmartin » March 21st, 2019, 8:12 am

There is a very real security threat with having your cellar publicly accessible. Given many of us operate on real name forums, it doesn't take too much research to work out who someone is and with a little more effort, where they live.

Having a list of potentially very valuable items online and leaving the dots out there for someone to join up is not that smart, in my opinion.

Rob Lynch

#21 Post by Rob Lynch » March 21st, 2019, 8:36 am

Or maybe it's not that smart to link your CT handle with your name, on line.

julianseersmartin

#22 Post by julianseersmartin » March 21st, 2019, 8:39 am

Rob Lynch wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 8:36 am
I've worked out who people are before by accident whilst simply exploring tasting notes. What you mention is the lowest effort method but it's certainly not the only method.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by JDavisRoby » March 21st, 2019, 9:41 am

This thread has me running to CT to check my privacy settings. Never even knew they were there!
Joshu@

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by ykwon » March 21st, 2019, 9:44 am

I love it when some random person decides to give me full control of their cellar. User error
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 21st, 2019, 9:47 am

julianseersmartin wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 8:12 am
There is a very real security threat with having your cellar publicly accessible. Given many of us operate on real name forums, it doesn't take too much research to work out who someone is and with a little more effort, where they live.

Having a list of potentially very valuable items online and leaving the dots out there for someone to join up is not that smart, in my opinion.
This is one key element.

The other thing that had me not only keep my cellar private, but also limit "cellar buddies" (i.e. selected people I allow to view my cellar) was a few folks who would cherry pick from my cellar listing, and get all pissy when I did not bring the wine they wanted to a dinner or tasting.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Mark Y » March 21st, 2019, 10:10 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 9:47 am
julianseersmartin wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 8:12 am

This is one key element.

The other thing that had me not only keep my cellar private, but also limit "cellar buddies" (i.e. selected people I allow to view my cellar) was a few folks who would cherry pick from my cellar listing, and get all pissy when I did not bring the wine they wanted to a dinner or tasting.
Time to stop having dinner with those people? wow.. i can't believe people would do that if they are actually friends..
Y.e.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 21st, 2019, 10:16 am

One is in fact permanently off the list...and not just for me.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by mattcitrang » March 21st, 2019, 10:17 am

Some years back I requested from CT a list of users that looked at my CT holdings. In 1 months time they listed some 40 CT users half of them unknown to me. At that point I shut down access.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#29 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 21st, 2019, 10:36 am

On the flipside, I do quite enjoy the option of granting friends access when they are coming for dinner and saying "what would you like to drink?" I'm delighted when I get a real response instead of "oh, anything is fine." No one has ever abused the privilege and asked for something crazy.

T@ntina A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by T@ntina A » March 21st, 2019, 10:46 am

Honestly I don't share mine because it is a chore for me to keep up, so basically my stuff is outdated. I don't know if anyone has a streamlined process but I find it really cumbersome especially when it doesn't scan. I recently tried to put in 10 bottles and 8 of them didn't come up, so when I had to manually enter it I just felt too lazy.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Howard Cooper » March 21st, 2019, 10:50 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:15 am
Back to the original topic, I keep private for a number of reasons, including to avoid comments, judgements, and assumptions. Lots of folks are simply curious and benevolent, but not everyone is. My cellar used to be public, and I had several incidents with people looking and commenting, sometimes publicly, in a way that made me uncomfortable.
Agreed. Happy to have my "friends" see the content of my cellar, but not the whole world.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Howard Cooper » March 21st, 2019, 10:52 am

julianseersmartin wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 8:39 am
Rob Lynch wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 8:36 am
I've worked out who people are before by accident whilst simply exploring tasting notes. What you mention is the lowest effort method but it's certainly not the only method.
I also do not post tasting notes there for that reason. I do post here and on Facebook.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Eric LeVine » March 21st, 2019, 10:53 am

mattcitrang wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 10:17 am
Some years back I requested from CT a list of users that looked at my CT holdings. In 1 months time they listed some 40 CT users half of them unknown to me. At that point I shut down access.
Are you sure? I have no record of such an interaction, and I don't even know how I could tell you that. We have no good way to query such data.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

S. Rash

#34 Post by S. Rash » March 21st, 2019, 11:20 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
I keep mine private because I do not want local friends seeing how much of a share I get of certain cherries. It prevents all kinds of trouble.

That said- I have on occasion gone browsing when reading TNs all over the map for a given wine and wondering what else those tasters are collecting and drinking that might explain such variances in TN experience.

Perhaps it makes sense in the context of the market, but my reaction to the higher prices and tougher allocations has been to dramatically shrink the number of different wines I buy so that I can keep getting 6-12 of each in most cases, much more for select vintages of certain wines like Magdelaine that I happen to favor. I grew up in a home where much emphasis was placed on the joy of seeing the same wine many times repeatedly as it evolved- and with an emphasis on midweight vintages versus the superstars- so maybe that is part of it. But from what I have seen on CT- having a bottle here and there of a much wider selection would appear to be the new normal.
Tom,

As someone new to wine, I mean starting to collect wine within the past four years, I have bought a whole bunch of different wines to see what I like. I now know what I like and am starting to buy more than one bottle of a wine to see how it changes with time. But my wife and I are both teachers and do not have the $$ to buy cases of wines at a time.
S t e p h e n

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by dsimmons » March 21st, 2019, 11:52 am

I really don't have a dog in this fight and can see both sides of the argument. That said, I do like to compare cellar contents with those who allow it. It often impacts how I value their notes.

As to the comments feature, I think it is extremely helpful when used properly. I would never presume to comment that someone tasting note is "wrong" but I frequently and respectfully point out where a note and a score are way out of wack or when a description sounds like it nay be a flawed bottle.
D o n

Jonathan H

#36 Post by Jonathan H » March 21st, 2019, 3:03 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
I used to have my cellar contents as public, but I have since changed it to be private for this exact reason.
- H@ll

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Ron Slye » March 21st, 2019, 4:25 pm

Well this has been educational. I started with why not share ones cellar -- and I have been. Now I am a bit more cautious, so just changed my settings to only friends and fans. As some have noted, however, I am disappointed when I like a taster's note or notes and would like to see what else they have -- partly out of curiosity, but also partly to see if they have wines I might like. For the latter, though, I have learned a small workaround is to look at their tasting notes -- which frankly achieves most of what I would want from seeing their cellar anyway.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#38 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 21st, 2019, 7:37 pm

I keep mine private for security reasons, even though the value of my cellar holdings is dwarfed by many here. I think I may allow friends and fans to view, but cannot recall. I also think it's fun to peruse others' holdings, which I usually do when someone's tasting note makes me curious to see what other overlap(s) we may have between our holdings/interests.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Bob Hoelting » March 21st, 2019, 8:24 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:37 pm
I keep mine private for security reasons, even though the value of my cellar holdings is dwarfed by many here. I think I may allow friends and fans to view, but cannot recall. I also think it's fun to peruse others' holdings, which I usually do when someone's tasting note makes me curious to see what other overlap(s) we may have between our holdings/interests.
Yes, yes you do 🤪

I’ve always left mine public. I have no security worries especially since 80% of my wine is at offsite storage and my home has active alarm monitoring. I coulld not care less if someone makes a derogatory comment about my cellar or my notes. Freedom of speech, and all

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Charlie Carnes » March 22nd, 2019, 7:29 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
I never thought of this. But, I am on kind of an island down here in central Florida.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#41 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 22nd, 2019, 10:23 am

I agree with the security issues cited by some.

I do not care what anyone else has in their cellar. What I DO care about, as a wine producer, is the person and notes published by someone who has posted a review on my wines. If they give a wine of mine an 88, I like to see what they rate higher, lower, or the same. What wines they typically post on. This is of major interest to me. A way to put their review and rating into some perspective.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Eric LeVine » March 22nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 10:23 am

I do not care what anyone else has in their cellar. What I DO care about, as a wine producer, is the person and notes published by someone who has posted a review on my wines. If they give a wine of mine an 88, I like to see what they rate higher, lower, or the same. What wines they typically post on. This is of major interest to me. A way to put their review and rating into some perspective.
Are you tracking your cellar on CellarTracker?
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by J a y H a c k » March 22nd, 2019, 10:46 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:

I am not a wine producer but I feel the same way. I like to see the other notes someone has published when they publish a note about a wine that I like, and they hate, or vice versa. I don't care what they own, but when they rate, let's say, a wine I own and like but that is a nice Tuesday pizza wine at 100 pts and the greatest wine they have ever had, I like to do a reality check. When I see that their normal notes are on Parallel 45 and Yellow Tail and Bogle, I can put it in perspective and cease to wonder what I have missed. And yes, that has happened a few times.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Ron Slye » March 22nd, 2019, 11:09 am

Responding to Merrill and Jay, I think you can always look at a person's tasting notes, which I think serves the purpose you are both seeking. I often do that. Seeing their cellar also gives me a sense of the range of their interests and their general taste preferences (though only a rough approximation), and of course it is fun in a voyeuristic way to see what others have collected. But I get both the privacy and security concerns, particularly given how much other information we voluntarily make available to others online.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Mark Y » March 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 11:09 am
Responding to Merrill and Jay, I think you can always look at a person's tasting notes, which I think serves the purpose you are both seeking. I often do that. Seeing their cellar also gives me a sense of the range of their interests and their general taste preferences (though only a rough approximation), and of course it is fun in a voyeuristic way to see what others have collected. But I get both the privacy and security concerns, particularly given how much other information we voluntarily make available to others online.
Yes. I looked at Ron’s cellar. I’m gonna be really upset if one of those 3 cases of Henri Jayer doesn’t show up at our next gathering!
Y.e.

Mark Mason

#46 Post by Mark Mason » March 22nd, 2019, 12:23 pm

I only open my cellar up every Christmas for the Secret Santa program so that my Santa can see what I have and like and send me an appropriate bottle. Then I lock it out again.
Hard water fisherman

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#47 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 10:44 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:

Are you tracking your cellar on CellarTracker?
No Eric, I do not use CT to track my cellar. Too much like work. I don't use any method to track, and it makes that part of it fun for me. I like your tool and many of my customers use it, but I do not enter purchases or remove wine consumed from any database. Just a personal preference.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Ron Slye » March 22nd, 2019, 2:11 pm

Mark Y wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm
Ron Slye wrote:
Yes. I looked at Ron’s cellar. I’m gonna be really upset if one of those 3 cases of Henri Jayer doesn’t show up at our next gathering!
Oh, um, I just made a big batch of sangria with those -- tasting notes to follow.......

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by J a y H a c k » March 22nd, 2019, 2:21 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
I know that I can look at public notes and note history. I just don't like nosy people. I have no interest in looking at other people's cellars to see what they have. I can learn about them from looking at their notes. If you really feel disadvantaged by my privacy settings, which I set about 15 years ago and have not looked at since then, send me a PM and I will email you my entire wine list. It's 42 pages and doesn't include a lot of my OWCs from California that are sitting on the cellar floor or the five cases I am looking at on the floor in my office, but if it makes you happy, you can have it.

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by J a y H a c k » March 22nd, 2019, 2:22 pm

And by the way - since no one heeded my request that people use their real names on Cellartracker like I sort of do, It's mostly gobbledy-gook anyway.

Return to “Wine Talk”