CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

#1 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 7:17 am

I’ve seen several threads on various cost of wine entry into CellarTracker. One I couldn’t find thru the search feature was how does everyone enter bottle price for the wine club shipments they receive?

For example, I’m receiving a shipment of Pax in the next few days/weeks. The cost was $234 for six bottles, but no breakdown on how much each bottle cost. Do you divide $234 by six? Do you go research the direct bottle cost and use that amount and hope it adds up to $234? Do you research bottle price and if it doesn’t add up so you use a pro-rata table you built in Excel (who would have such a thing?!?) to divide the discount up evenly between the bottles?

This is one of the questions for us OCD types.
Joshu@

YLee

Re: CellarTracker: Entering Cost of Wine Shipments

#2 Post by YLee » March 20th, 2019, 7:29 am

If you mean that each bottle is different? I would enter in each individual bottles and enter in the cost as $234/6.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jeremy C » March 20th, 2019, 7:34 am

I enter the cost of each bottle, leaving out tax and shipping.
Cuth.bert.son

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Davis » March 20th, 2019, 7:47 am

I d include tax and shipping-because that is what it cost me. IIRC, this has been discussed before and results are mixed.
ITB

Richard Albert

#5 Post by Richard Albert » March 20th, 2019, 8:01 am

Sorry i misunderstood the issue post deleted.
Last edited by Richard Albert on March 20th, 2019, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 20th, 2019, 8:21 am

I confirm the price of each bottle with the winery if I can and I use that information. I do not include shipping or taxes.
PlanoWino

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Eric LeVine » March 20th, 2019, 8:22 am

-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Morrissette » March 20th, 2019, 9:07 am

Judging by the answers so far, I think it is safe to say your question is confusing as written.

I am interpreting your question like this:
You bought 6 bottles of wine from Pax, but the 6 bottles are not the same. Maybe some syrah, maybe some gamay, whatever.
Pax sent you an invoice with one price: $234.
I am unclear whether that $234 included shipping or did not include shipping (or tax).
I will assume it did not.

Given that, I would go back to the website (or original email) to find the actual cost of the different types of wine. If it does not add up to $234, you either got a discount, or it includes shipping, or whatever. But, you should be able to figure it out.

I would then enter the actual cost of the bottle, less any discount (if any). I imagine most people would do that.
Personally, I would then add tax for each bottle, and 1/6th of the shipping cost cost. I do that because cost-to-my-door seems most important to me, but I know others have strong feelings to the contrary.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by Robert M yers » March 20th, 2019, 9:18 am

Assign a value to each of them that totals $234 that’s makes you feel the best about each one when you pop the cork. If your going to drink them all then to me this is the solution.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 9:34 am

Mark Morrissette wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:07 am
Judging by the answers so far, I think it is safe to say your question is confusing as written.

You bought 6 bottles of wine from Pax, but the 6 bottles are not the same. Maybe some syrah, maybe some gamay, whatever.
I am unclear whether that $234 included shipping or did not include shipping (or tax).

Given that, I would go back to the website (or original email) to find the actual cost of the different types of wine. If it does not add up to $234, you either got a discount, or it includes shipping, or whatever. But, you should be able to figure it out.

I would then enter the actual cost of the bottle, less any discount (if any). I imagine most people would do that.
Personally, I would then add tax for each bottle, and 1/6th of the shipping cost cost. I do that because cost-to-my-door seems most important to me, but I know others have strong feelings to the contrary.
In my effort to be brief I was confusing. But, you pretty much nailed my question and what I currently do. I was just curious if anyone does it differently.
Joshu@

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 9:42 am

Richard Albert wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:01 am
thread drift time:
Do not know if I can help you with what appears to be a pretty high shipping cost for six bottles in your example if it is accurate.
It makes me wonder which type of service you are getting for $234 with a forecast of cool weather in OK next week and perhaps after that.
UPS ground service could work for a whole lot less and I can suggest a shipping company for you to consider to $ave, if you are interested
The $234 is the cost of the wine before S/H. Half cases to OK with ground are normally $30-40 depending on the winery.
Joshu@

Eric Sch

#12 Post by Eric Sch » March 20th, 2019, 10:16 am

I enter only the per bottle cost, no shipping. I know based on the vendor field approximately what the shipping uplift was (lower for West coast vendors, none from in town, etc) but don't really need to log it as the cost later isn't generally that important to me.
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Eric S n y d e r

#13 Post by Eric S n y d e r » March 20th, 2019, 10:33 am

When buying direct, I include my cost with shipping, but no tax. My personal reasoning is that if I later find a bottle locally at retail, I want to know whether I paid more or less than retail including shipping. I may decide to drop a direct list if shipping is killing the value, and I can buy locally.

I’m in CA and rarely get shipments from other states, so I don’t include tax.

If CT ever published a universal standard, I would switch to that.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 10:40 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 8:22 am
Please see: https://support.cellartracker.com/artic ... -purchases
Any updates to whether you’ll add an ability to line item S/H and tax as mentioned in the linked FAQ?

That would be an awesome feature!
Joshu@

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Hank Victor » March 20th, 2019, 10:42 am

I had shipping into bottle cost. Like somebody mentioned above its good to include it when you compare cost to a local retailer down the line.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 20th, 2019, 11:25 am

I always enter the price including shipping but without tax. I would find it annoying to calculate the tax on every bottle, so I simply choose not to do it. Very rarely do I find myself paying shipping on any of my purchases, so I am willing to do those manual calculations, as they are infrequent. Another motivating factor for me to include the cost of shipping is that some wineries include the cost of shipping in the bottle price, so for those bottles, I have to include the cost of shipping unless I arbitrarily reduce the cost by some speculative number, which I am not interested in doing. Therefore, to have consistent cost composition across all bottles, I also include the cost of shipping when it is a separate line item.

When shipping is a separate line item, I use the private purchase info field to enter the per bottle cost of shipping. I also use that field to make note of any transaction ID number, or receipt number when the purchase is a pre arrival.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 20th, 2019, 11:38 am

I never include shipping, but always include tax, but virtually always round up or down to the nearest dollar.

Except when I do something different.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

AndrewH

#18 Post by AndrewH » March 20th, 2019, 12:12 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:34 am
Mark Morrissette wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:07 am

In my effort to be brief I was confusing. But, you pretty much nailed my question and what I currently do. I was just curious if anyone does it differently.
I do the same. For Berserker Day, e.g., I figure what the full price of each bottle is, add those up, and figure out the overall discount, applying it to each bottle. I think add an equal amount per bottle for shipping.

Not worth another debate on include shipping/taxes or not. As the CT FAQ's note:
Are there any plans to add sub total lines in the wine cost area for shipping, tax and total cost?
This is on our to-do list. Meanwhile, users often ask whether their prices should include tax and shipping. This is an individual decision, but most users choose to enter their prices without tax and shipping.
Andrew H e i m e r t

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by dsimmons » March 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

John Davis wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 7:47 am
I d include tax and shipping-because that is what it cost me. IIRC, this has been discussed before and results are mixed.
+1
D o n

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » March 20th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Cost plus tax. Sometimes shipping. All rounded to the nearest hundredth.
Cheers,
Paul

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Cris Whetstone » March 20th, 2019, 12:35 pm

For bottle price, you need to do what makes you feel right about it.

For a wine club I would probably just divide the total cost by the bottle count. But that's me. As others have mentioned, they would want to know the breakdown.

For the rest of the costs, I always include shipping but not tax. Tax is mostly pretty constant and within a few percentage points of each other when it's not. Shipping however can vary greatly depending on many factors. When choosing where to purchase something I always consider shipping. A low price may not be so low if the retailer has high shipping costs. It might be a better deal to pay a greater retail price to get lower shipping elsewhere. So the total cost to me definitely includes shipping.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by ykwon » March 20th, 2019, 12:42 pm

I included taxes and shipping. Need to see what my all in costs are if I need to comparison shop locally.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

YLee

#23 Post by YLee » March 20th, 2019, 12:46 pm

In CT there are sections for Purchase cost and Value. If you want you can divide it by 6 since that's what you paid then enter in the actual value of the wines by researching the cost. This is something I also do.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by alan weinberg » March 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm

John Davis wrote:
+1

Troy Stark

#25 Post by Troy Stark » March 20th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I enter the bottle cost plus the pro-rated cost per bottle for tax, S+H.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Bryan Carr

#26 Post by Bryan Carr » March 20th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I always do cost without tax or shipping, though for WineBid I DO include the "buyer's premium".

I thought Pax priced out their bottles individually on the website? When there's a case discount or some other thing modifying the price on a group of wines I usually find out what RRP is on the wines, divide what I paid from that total then apply that discount to each wine individually pro-rata.
CT: the_lovenest

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 2:10 pm
I always do cost without tax or shipping, though for WineBid I DO include the "buyer's premium".

I thought Pax priced out their bottles individually on the website? When there's a case discount or some other thing modifying the price on a group of wines I usually find out what RRP is on the wines, divide what I paid from that total then apply that discount to each wine individually pro-rata.
I believe they do but I haven’t researched it yet. Some don’t. I was mainly just curious if my method of doing a pro rata based on the wineries MSRP was the way most people did it.

For those who’ve been around a while apologize it turned into another discussion of entering cost plus shipping. Wasn’t my intent!
Joshu@

Joe W i n o g r a d

#28 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » March 20th, 2019, 3:39 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm
John Davis wrote:
+1
Poll!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Frank Murray III » March 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm

The older I get, the less I care about this level of detail. When I buy wine, I enter the bottle cost and forget about the tax and shipping.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » March 20th, 2019, 3:50 pm

[flash=][/flash]
Frank Murray III wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm
The older I get, the less I care about this level of detail. When I buy wine, I enter the bottle cost and forget about the tax and shipping.
Tsk tsk tsk...I am SO excited about entering some bottles in € after my trip this week! [cheers.gif]
Cheers,
Paul

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Frank Murray III » March 20th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Paul, where was your trip and is there sarcasm in your answer?

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Rath » March 20th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm
This. But if I'm buying in Europe, I do the conversion to $, then subtract what I would have paid in sales tax here to make it seem like an even better deal!
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » March 20th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Paul, where was your trip and is there sarcasm in your answer?
No sarcasm, just some cheery orneriness as I still do care about getting the dollars and cents correct.
I think it’s cool that if I pick up some Frühburgunder from the locals this week in Southwest Germany I can enter the price as, say, €7,90 instead of trying to figure out the exchange rate.
Cheers,
Paul

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Frank Murray III » March 20th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Paul, ah, I see. When I was in Champagne last year, and hauled back about a case, I just took a guess at the conversion rate and keyed that as USD when I put the bottles into CT. BTW, enjoy your 'hamburger' wine when you get around to opening it.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Michael Martin » March 20th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Should you include the cost of gas in the purchase price when entering wines bought at my local wine store? Asking for a friend.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Should you include the cost of gas in the purchase price when entering wines bought at my local wine store? Asking for a friend.
Yes. As well as pro-rata insurance costs, as well as wear-and-tear on the vehicle. While you're at it, place a value on your time, and add that in, too. cheesehead

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

YLee

#37 Post by YLee » March 20th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Not for me because I never go that far for gas to amount to anything but pennies.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Michael Martin » March 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Yes. As well as pro-rata insurance costs, as well as wear-and-tear on the vehicle. While you're at it, place a value on your time, and add that in, too. cheesehead
Thanks, that is what I thought. Now I can sleep better at night knowing at least my wine costs in CT are accurate.

YLee

#39 Post by YLee » March 20th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
And calculate the wear and tear on your shoes and clothes. Haha!
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 20th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Thanks, that is what I thought. Now I can sleep better at night knowing at least my wine costs in CT are accurate.
At your service. [bow.gif]

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
What if I take an Uber? Pro-rata the Uber cost across the wines based on cost or evenly split?
Joshu@

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Michael Martin » March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
What if I take an Uber? Pro-rata the Uber cost across the wines based on cost or evenly split?
I have Uber credits, should I subtract those from the wine costs?

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#43 Post by Robert M yers » March 20th, 2019, 7:06 pm

This is going to get hard if I have to start charting time spent on wine retailer websites and subtract for that. Maybe the answer is to open up a wine store and just expense it all out, drinking included.

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Steve Brickley » March 20th, 2019, 7:55 pm

I only input the cost of the wine without tax and shipping. The two times I use the information where I need to rely on it are (1) buying more of the same wine and wondering what I paid before and (2) selling the wine. When I sell I simply add 9% sales tax and figure $2/bottle shipping for my cost basis if the wine was shipped. When I have infrequent costs like overnight flight shipping then I add it to bottle notes. When I used to buy from auction, I added in the buyers premium and made a note of it in purchase notes. This coming from a CPA type.
Steve

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by JDavisRoby » March 20th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
If it’s in my offsite should I increase the cost every month by the per bottle fee?
Joshu@

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by ykwon » March 20th, 2019, 8:14 pm

[rofl.gif]
JDavisRoby wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:

If it’s in my offsite should I increase the cost every month by the per bottle fee?
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by JDavisRoby » March 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm

As a follow up Pax was kind enough to automatically send me an itemized invoice with bottle cost, even illustrating the discount I receive for being a club member. Made my OCD tendencies much easier to handle.
Joshu@

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » March 27th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
I'm pretty sure you are trying to be ridiculous, but sometimes I DO include the cost of transportation. There is a shop that is 23 miles from my house, and I rarely go to that area for any other reason. Using the federal mileage allowance of 58 cents a mile, that costs me $26.68 to go pick up some wine, which is not an overlookable amount in my book.

asnitow

#49 Post by asnitow » March 27th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Ive always wondered this for mixed lots bought at auction.

(Disregarding the shipping/tax question) Im talking about when you buy a mixed lot - may be different vintages of same wine or a mix of different wines, and you paid one flat price for the lot, do you try to prorate/calculate an accurate price for each bottle of jus divide the cost of the lot by the number of bottles and enter that in CT?

Often times the value of bottles within a mixed lot can be wildly different, which is why i find the average misleading/less than satisfying...
alan snitow

Return to “Wine Talk”