I am a CT delinquent.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I am a CT delinquent.

#51 Post by Marshall Gelb » September 9th, 2009, 10:10 am

I think my CT inventory is as accurate as possible considering who is doing the inputting. [truce.gif]

I feel I am very up to date on purchases and consumption. It is location where I fall short especially in my Vinoteque where I constantly move bottles around. [oops.gif]

I also do not inventory daily drinkers.

Cheers!
Marshall [wink.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

J e r e m y H@nn@h

#52 Post by J e r e m y H@nn@h » September 9th, 2009, 10:45 am

I used to be super anal about entering the wines in when I buy them and consuming them (+ notes) that night or the next day.

Lately though I have gotten pretty lazy about it and I have had to perform a couple of inventories (I only have about 50 bottles at any given time, so it's not much of a chore) to check what is there, what should be there, and what is "missing and presumed drunk." (my favorite consumption tag, although it has only rarely been used. But it's genius because it is a very nice way of saying, "I was really wasted and I don't remember opening this bottle, but it's gone.")
-- Jeremy

You'll never feel the jet lag, unless you're trying to fit in.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Frank Murray III » January 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm

I love this thread from 2009, as there are still a # of posters in this thread who I not only hang out with today, but they continue to post here on WB, too. Marshall, Bruce, Leo, Erf.....many who still come to Falltacular today, year after year. Thank you, Todd!
My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 21st, 2019, 4:01 pm

M. M c C a l l wrote:
September 7th, 2009, 5:40 pm
Every time we bring home wine, Steve and I sit down at the computer and dutifully enter each bottle into CT. We carefully track not only the wine, but where we bought it and what we spent. Then every time we consume a bottle, we remove it from our CT inventory and post notes.

In theory.

In practice, there are many bottles in our CT inventory that we've consumed or given away, and God knows how many bottles in the house and storage locker that we never entered. We love CT, and consider it an indispensible tool, yet we seem to lack the discipline to use it consistently. Are we unusual in this respect? If you use CT (or some other cellar management software) how accurate is your inventory at any given time?
LOL! I am very good about logging wine as I buy it. Less effective at logging them when they arrive. Horrible at deducting them as they get drunk
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#55 Post by Todd F r e n c h » January 21st, 2019, 4:02 pm

I knew this was a WAY old thread when I saw Melissa McCall's name as the OP!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by John Glas » January 21st, 2019, 4:09 pm

I enter everything. I use to not put in the price and regret that as I would love to see some of those deals I used to get. Every know and then I go through and update something I drank that never got edited at that time. Love the Cellar Tracker! Thanks, Eric!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 21st, 2019, 4:10 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 4:02 pm
Yeah! I thought she was back!

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by J a y H a c k » January 21st, 2019, 7:33 pm

Frank - spending a lot of time recently robbing graves, I see.

I estimate that my CT data is approximately 97% accurate - a serious calculated number representing the number of bottles that I still list that are not there. About 2% of the missing 3% are wines that I have flagged in CT as either removed for an event or probably drank it but still searching, so in both cases I leave them in the data until I'm sure. The remaining 1% represents bottles drunk recently that I have not removed, but that's easy because every time my data says there are two bottles in the same location, one of them is already gone. There are another 4% or so that represent cases on the floor that I have not yet logged.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 21st, 2019, 7:36 pm

Phillip F r a n k s wrote:
September 7th, 2009, 6:55 pm
I'm also extremely anal. I try to capture everything and when I don't I go into the cellar and make corrections.

Me too! I am 99+% accurate. Have a pile of bottles that need to be officially "consumed" But I always close the circle, if you will. I have a couple of holes that are from emptys that were thrown away by guests or something odd like that, but I even fix those when I have the chance.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

M Kopecky

#60 Post by M Kopecky » January 22nd, 2019, 6:34 am

Ed Murray wrote:
September 7th, 2009, 5:54 pm
I'm very anal about it. An inventory/audit function would be nice...
Export to excel, create a pivot table by location, and then confirm the raw bottle count in each. Any discrepancy you can track back from their, but much easier than trying to go bottle-by-bottle. I can do 500 double deeps in five minutes with the trusty flashlight.

I would say I'm at 99.9% accuracy. Need to get to barcoding someday for that extra layer of security... Plus it looks cool.
M.a.r.t.i.n.

Sean Devaney

#61 Post by Sean Devaney » January 22nd, 2019, 7:22 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 4:10 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 4:02 pm
Yeah! I thought she was back!
My first thought too! Miss that slightly buzzed fluzy.

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#62 Post by sdfruman » January 22nd, 2019, 7:47 am

I am really good at logging in pending orders and local purchases. I'm terrible about deleting consumed and gifted bottles. I keep saying I'll get up to date, but haven't managed to do it in 3 years of retirement. Maybe this is the year...
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

YLee

#63 Post by YLee » January 22nd, 2019, 7:55 am

I have 100% accuracy. I enter in where the wine is exactly located, quantity, cost, date of purchase, who I bought it from, etc. Once I no longer have it I always remove it. I list all my wines even the cheapest daily drinkers to wines that are in the 4 or 5 digits per bottle.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Paul Miller » January 22nd, 2019, 8:09 am

I’m bad about forgetting to consume bottles I’ve taken to restaurants or friends. At home, I put the empty bottle on the counter as a reminder to remove from CT.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by JDavisRoby » January 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am

I’m OCD about my CT. Will miss a few here and there. But, about once a month I use the location feature to give me the number of bottles that should be in a rack and inventory that way. Haven’t gone to barcoding just yet.

One thing I’m not OCD about is the exact location. I list the specific rack the bottle is in, but not the exact bin in that rack. How many people list the exact bin? For those that list the bin, do you have a numbering system?
Joshu@

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am
I’m OCD about my CT. Will miss a few here and there. But, about once a month I use the location feature to give me the number of bottles that should be in a rack and inventory that way. Haven’t gone to barcoding just yet.

One thing I’m not OCD about is the exact location. I list the specific rack the bottle is in, but not the exact bin in that rack. How many people list the exact bin? For those that list the bin, do you have a numbering system?
"Exact location" for me is "somewhere in the cellar. I think. Maybe in one of those boxes over there I have been meaning to unpack since last June. Or maybe not."

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by dsimmons » January 22nd, 2019, 11:08 am

I am a member of the anal CT users clan. I am about to undertake my annual inventory and I am normally off by <.5%. I use CT nearly everyday to record purchases, consumption and tasting notes. I also use it extensively to build a drinking queue.
D o n

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Jim Stewart » January 22nd, 2019, 5:35 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm
I love this thread from 2009, as there are still a # of posters in this thread who I not only hang out with today, but they continue to post here on WB, too. Marshall, Bruce, Leo, Erf.....many who still come to Falltacular today, year after year. Thank you, Todd!

Frank, I am a bit of late to "getting it", but I like what you are doing with bringing back to the surface these long ago threads. For a couple of days I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of active threads that began in 2009. Found it very odd but never checked them out or made the connection. Duh and Aha! They provide a perspective and a sense of time passing but life continuing on with veterans and new "blood" . Cool! Congratulations to all involved for this 10 year milestone! -Jim
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Bryce K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Bryce K » January 22nd, 2019, 7:25 pm

I’m probably 95% accurate. There is the stray bottle that we drink or I bring to a friend that I forget to mark. My wife's nightmare begins each year when I utter the words "wine audit".
Senor Kaufman

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Leonard Taylor » January 23rd, 2019, 5:01 am

I try to be 100% accurate and am pretty anal about keeping in current but I always find a bottle missing here and there which also always puzzles me. I love CT.
Leonard Taylor

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by David Glasser » January 23rd, 2019, 6:54 am

Organizing the cellar satisfies my control needs and keeps me from subjecting family and friends to them. All the bottles have exact locations entered in CT, and they all have neck tags so I can browse in real life as well as virtually. I’ve lost track of maybe 1 or 2 per thousand over the years.

dteng

#72 Post by dteng » January 23rd, 2019, 7:14 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am
JDavisRoby wrote:

"Exact location" for me is "somewhere in the cellar. I think. Maybe in one of those boxes over there I have been meaning to unpack since last June. Or maybe not."
Of what year? [snort.gif]
Dan

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 23rd, 2019, 7:33 am

dteng wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 7:14 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am
JDavisRoby wrote:

Of what year? [snort.gif]
Good point.

David Schliecker

#74 Post by David Schliecker » January 23rd, 2019, 7:53 am

I have three offsite locations (one of the downsides of small NYC apartments) and I do my best to keep it as accurate as possible. I think I'm only off by about 10 or so. It's usually the 2nd bottle of the night that doesn't get accounted for.

Steve Bird
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Steve Bird » January 23rd, 2019, 4:58 pm

I enjoy subtracting bottles from CT. That gives me more in the cellar (and in my head) to add another bottle.

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by todd waldmann » January 23rd, 2019, 6:46 pm

I would estimate that I am currently about 3.14% accurate with my CellarTracker inventory. I'm on the verge of being able to move my whole inventory into a new storage space at home, so I'm hoping that number will improve.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Michae1 P0wers » January 23rd, 2019, 7:09 pm

I try hard to be accurate, but miss some from time to time. It's somehow usually towards the end of something I buy a lot of. That 9th bottle of a case maybe. Sometimes I'm not sure though because the bottles may still be buried in storage.

dteng

#78 Post by dteng » January 24th, 2019, 5:18 pm

todd waldmann wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:46 pm
I would estimate that I am currently about 3.14% accurate with my CellarTracker inventory. I'm on the verge of being able to move my whole inventory into a new storage space at home, so I'm hoping that number will improve.
Should be easy as pi.
Dan

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by todd waldmann » January 28th, 2019, 2:27 pm

dteng wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 5:18 pm
todd waldmann wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:46 pm
Should be easy as pi.
I almost threw a few more decimal places in there, but hoped two would be sufficient. It clearly was.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by J Dove » January 28th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:
September 8th, 2009, 6:03 am
I'm extremely diligent in using CT for tracking every bottle I buy, consume, tasting notes regardless of bottle source, etc... My inventory is extremely accurate. iirc my last physical inventory I was off less that 1/2 of 1 percent on a 1,300 bottle inventory. Here's the trick that I learned to help me keep my inventory accurate. A bottle is NEVER placed into the cellar until it is logged into CT. A bottle is NEVER placed in the recycling bin until it's logged out of CT. PERIOD. If it has to sit on the kitchen counter forever it sits until it's logged in or out.
You, sir, are a genius. It's all about process. I think I could learn to do that.

I loaded up my new cellar from offsite storage about 4 months ago and I'm probably already about 20 bottles or so off, despite my best efforts.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Peter Petersen » January 28th, 2019, 6:29 pm

I was signed in as a beta tester. Added at most 50 wines and then haven’t used it since.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
September 8th, 2009, 9:57 am
Randy Sloan wrote:<-- another with an accurate and kept-up-to-date CT.

A bottle is never placed into the racking until the barcode is printed and attached to the bottle. When I drink a bottle, I remove the barcode label and either update CT immediately, or later using those tags.
That is my methodology as well. It works. It is aided by the fact that I am pretty much the only one who ever handles wine in my cellar.
I gotta get in this habit. Belated New Years Resolution. I gotta do some truing up. I've been consistent with entering, less on marking them gone.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#83 Post by sdfruman » January 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm
Eric LeVine wrote:

A bottle is never placed into the racking until the barcode is printed and attached to the bottle. When I drink a bottle, I remove the barcode label and either update CT immediately, or later using those tags.
That is my methodology as well. It works. It is aided by the fact that I am pretty much the only one who ever handles wine in my cellar.
I gotta get in this habit. Belated New Years Resolution. I gotta do some truing up. I've been consistent with entering, less on marking them gone.
Same here. I've got all my purchases from BD10 in pending and printed out a list of everything else today. I'm going to try and work on it a few hours a day until I get done. Of course, I'll probably wind up boxing up some for friends to free up space for the new arrivals.
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 28th, 2019, 6:40 pm

sdfruman wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:

Same here. I've got all my purchases from BD10 in pending and printed out a list of everything else today. I'm going to try and work on it a few hours a day until I get done. Of course, I'll probably wind up boxing up some for friends to free up space for the new arrivals.
Wish I could, time during the week is impossible to find. That means this weekend is toast. Gonna throw a sweatshirt on, get in there, power through it, with a glass or three :)

Its also great because going through always makes me find something I forgot I had and would not have notices no matter how many times I go through the restaurant style list which I think is the greatest thing since the wheel.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by JDavisRoby » January 28th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Be nice to have a CT import template just for Berserker Day. Have all the offerings prefilled and all you’d have to do is enter the quantities to get them loaded in pending.

Is that a possibility? I’ve seen the instructions on importing via Excel but never done it myself.
Joshu@

AndrewH

#86 Post by AndrewH » January 29th, 2019, 7:28 am

sdfruman wrote:

One requirement Todd needs to introduce is that all BD participants (sellers) ensure that the wines they are selling are already added to CT. I had to "create" a couple of wines this year . . .
Andrew H e i m e r t

AndrewH

#87 Post by AndrewH » January 29th, 2019, 7:29 am

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:

In principle it is mine as well. The challenge is a spouse . . . I tend to lose track of a a few daily drinkers that way. I think the accuracy of my count on those is 95%, vs. about 99.7% on the longer term bottles.
Andrew H e i m e r t

AndrewH

#88 Post by AndrewH » January 29th, 2019, 7:32 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 9:24 pm
Be nice to have a CT import template just for Berserker Day. Have all the offerings prefilled and all you’d have to do is enter the quantities to get them loaded in pending.

Is that a possibility? I’ve seen the instructions on importing via Excel but never done it myself.
A link to the CT entry in each offer would be good enough - click it and add your personal info (a pre-filled form wouldn't allow each person to customize their info as they like - for example, does the cost include shipping, which varies; is the store purchased from "Winery" or "[name of winery]", etc.)
Andrew H e i m e r t

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by David Glasser » January 29th, 2019, 8:00 am

AndrewH wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 7:28 am
sdfruman wrote:

One requirement Todd needs to introduce is that all BD participants (sellers) ensure that the wines they are selling are already added to CT. I had to "create" a couple of wines this year . . .
[rofl.gif]

Ah, you young whippersnappers!

As an early CT adapter (member 163), I’m gonna say way back in my day, best as I can remember, not only did we have to "create" all the wines, we had to do it in DOS with 300-baud dial-up modems. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. Without shoes.

[soap.gif]

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by JDavisRoby » January 29th, 2019, 11:07 am

David Glasser wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:00 am
AndrewH wrote:
sdfruman wrote:

[rofl.gif]

Ah, you young whippersnappers!

As an early CT adapter (member 163), I’m gonna say way back in my day, best as I can remember, not only did we have to "create" all the wines, we had to do it in DOS with 300-baud dial-up modems. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. Without shoes.

[soap.gif]
Hope no one picked up the phone while you were updating your cellar. [oops.gif]
Joshu@

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by dsGriswold » January 29th, 2019, 11:20 am

I never found CT quite as early, but still an old geezer. It took me a couple of months work to research and enter my wines from old invoices when I should have been working as I used my work computer. That's how I found CT ten years ago, a few months later Berserkers. I think I have finally come to grips with not being able to drink all the wines.

I'm definitely on the OCD spectrum with 3 other drinkers in the household, mostly they buy their own and are not entered unless I buy them for daily drinkers. Occasionally find none left and just do a bulk drank, gifted or presumed drunk to clean up the loose ends [highfive.gif] .
DennisG

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 29th, 2019, 12:42 pm

AndrewH wrote:
sdfruman wrote:

CT isn't a tool of wineries. It's a tool of consumers. Entering new wines is part of the fun sometimes. And for people who inventory cellars, it's work.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by J.Vizuete » January 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Do you guys include tax and shipping in your price per bottle?

Maybe it’s subconscious denial of my spending, but I like to have a lower price/higher valuation...
John V.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by dsimmons » January 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Maybe it’s subconscious denial of my spending, but I like to have a lower price/higher valuation...
I do because it is a significant cost component for me. Usually about $10 per bottle. I however do not think there is any consistency among CT users.
D o n

Sean Devaney

#95 Post by Sean Devaney » January 29th, 2019, 2:42 pm

dsGriswold wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 11:20 am
I never found CT quite as early, but still an old geezer. It took me a couple of months work to research and enter my wines from old invoices when I should have been working as I used my work computer. That's how I found CT ten years ago, a few months later Berserkers. I think I have finally come to grips with not being able to drink all the wines.

I'm definitely on the OCD spectrum with 3 other drinkers in the household, mostly they buy their own and are not entered unless I buy them for daily drinkers. Occasionally find none left and just do a bulk drank, gifted or presumed drunk to clean up the loose ends [highfive.gif] .
Oh that covers multiple scenario's [wow.gif]

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Carlton McCrindle » January 29th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Anyone willing to share their bottle entering methodology (or habit)? I would do much better if didn’t seem so tedious.
One thing that would help me tremendously is if the vendors I purchase from would include a detailed packing list, showing price per bottle, shiiping, taxes imposed, etc.

AndrewH

#97 Post by AndrewH » January 29th, 2019, 4:59 pm

dsimmons wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I do because it is a significant cost component for me. Usually about $10 per bottle. I however do not think there is any consistency among CT users.
Same, but not consistent across users (and debate ensues). I do it to create parity between wines shipped to me (shipping but not always taxed) and local purchases (tax but no shipping).
Andrew H e i m e r t

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Dan Kravitz » January 29th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I love CellarTracker.

I think Eric is great.

But I haven't updated since the late 1890s and will send Eric a pleading note asking for help.

OTOH, once every couple of years I do a complete cellar inventory. My teetotal construction contractor Karen Robbins stands there with a graph paper pad and phonetically writes down my abbreviated identifications. It's working but I really need to get back to CT, and will do so in March, after I stop traveling.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 29th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 12:42 pm
AndrewH wrote:
sdfruman wrote:

CT isn't a tool of wineries. It's a tool of consumers. Entering new wines is part of the fun sometimes. And for people who inventory cellars, it's work.
This might secretly be why I wait to enter my inventory ;0

Think I might need one more week to enter... yawn... I'll be tied up. [cheers.gif]

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » January 29th, 2019, 5:13 pm

AndrewH wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 7:29 am
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:

In principle it is mine as well. The challenge is a spouse . . . I tend to lose track of a a few daily drinkers that way. I think the accuracy of my count on those is 95%, vs. about 99.7% on the longer term bottles.
Mine is pretty cool, she stays out of the cellar. Waits for me to pop something special, then fins her glass lol. On the numbers, I'm 90% at best on daily drinkers and nearly 100 on the long term.

Return to “Wine Talk”