Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Mike Francisco
Posts: 216
Joined: March 30th, 2017, 1:59 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#151 Post by Mike Francisco » January 3rd, 2019, 3:09 pm

For me it was a tie.
2011 Vissoux Poncie Fleurie
2014 Poe Sparkling Rose

User avatar
aaronfullen
Posts: 70
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 10:34 am
Location: Atlantaish

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#152 Post by aaronfullen » January 3rd, 2019, 3:23 pm

2003 Chateau Musar Rouge. Effing delicious.

-af

User avatar
Joe W i n o g r a d
Posts: 498
Joined: March 20th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#153 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » January 3rd, 2019, 6:07 pm

1986 Nikolaihof Riesling Steiner Hund

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156647&p=2633146#p2633146

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 84
Joined: March 1st, 2018, 7:03 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#154 Post by JeremyMullman » January 4th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I’ll play:

2009 Quilceda Creek Columbia Valley
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay The Judge

Matthew Hemming
Posts: 285
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 2:46 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#155 Post by Matthew Hemming » January 4th, 2019, 12:42 pm

VCC 1964. Topped a Petrus 71 and Grange 71 for sheer grace, texture and aromatics.
ITB

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 624
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#156 Post by dsimmons » January 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm

2002 Quilceda Creek - One of the few wines that I have considered perfect.
D o n

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1279
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#157 Post by Jerry Hey » January 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Possibly the 1969 Leroy Meursault Perrieres provided by Alan Weinberg. Poured along with 86 and 89 Leflaive BBM, 1990 Amiot Montrachet, 2002 Ente Meursault La See du Clos, OR another from Alan, the 2008 Ramonet Montrachet.

User avatar
Joseph MR
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 404
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#158 Post by Joseph MR » January 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Perhaps Rhys Horseshoe Chardonnay 2012
ra + * ter

User avatar
Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2466
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 12:19 am

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#159 Post by Doug Lee » January 5th, 2019, 8:43 am

Whole buncha wines with the same score, but if I had to choose, perhaps the 1998 Domaine Tempier La Tourtine. Although the 1997 Clos de Tart was right up there.

Cheers,
Doug

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 644
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#160 Post by Jim F » January 5th, 2019, 9:39 am

2015 Patria J. Price cabernet. I mentioned it in another string earlier in the year also. I am not sure this was “best”, but certainly most memorable. It grabbed my attention, turned me on to the label, it was unexpected, and it was flat out delicious.
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Paul H Galli
Posts: 3500
Joined: July 1st, 2009, 2:55 pm
Location: Monterey Peninsula

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#161 Post by Paul H Galli » January 5th, 2019, 10:15 am

1997 Arcadian "Sleepy Hollow" PN.
Not even close....

TTT
Opinot, not Oporto...

Robert Sand
Posts: 434
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#162 Post by Robert Sand » January 5th, 2019, 11:19 am

No, two wines:

white: Keller Morstein 2007
red: Pegau Da Capo 1998

Matt D Turner
Posts: 2
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 7:33 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#163 Post by Matt D Turner » January 5th, 2019, 11:45 am

2000 Dagueneau Pur Sang. Changed my mind about Sauvignon Blanc. I had the fortune to taste many, many good wines I never thought I'd get the chance to try, but this was really the one that changed my mind about a grape I did not enjoy previously in any of the many forms I've tried it in.
Skin-contact whites, alright

Robert Sand
Posts: 434
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#164 Post by Robert Sand » January 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm

RyanC wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

Some of those old Vergets have aged really well. I had an absolutely spellbinding '96 Verget Chablis Bougros a few weeks ago.
I had two bottles of Bougros totally pre-oxed - the first in about 2005, the second in 2011 - and never a good one.

[cry.gif]

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 1169
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#165 Post by Brandon R » January 7th, 2019, 9:22 am

Jim F wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 9:39 am
2015 Patria J. Price cabernet. I mentioned it in another string earlier in the year also. I am not sure this was “best”, but certainly most memorable. It grabbed my attention, turned me on to the label, it was unexpected, and it was flat out delicious.
Nice, Jim. I'm always looking up wines I've never heard of, but I can't find anything about this wine or winery. Can you clue me/us in (if you're willing)?
B. Redman

Joe Raymond
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 466
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#166 Post by Joe Raymond » January 7th, 2019, 9:46 am

2013 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard
"That's what i do. I drink and I know things."

Richard Albert
Posts: 672
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 2:49 pm
Location: Southernmost NorCal Wine Country

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#167 Post by Richard Albert » January 7th, 2019, 9:53 am

1978 Dehlinger Sonoma County Pinot Noir--with 2" ullage
ITB

dvansteenderen
Posts: 60
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 5:56 am
Location: Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#168 Post by dvansteenderen » January 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

If I look at my CT scores, there is one 100-point wine:

2017 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel Auction

Three 99-point wines:

2015 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Masseto Toscana IGT
2006 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Masseto Toscana IGT
2014 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet

But the wine that has been haunting me since tasting it was a "mere" 98-point wine:

2004 Domaine d'Auvenay (Lalou Bize-Leroy) Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières
David van Steenderen | ITB

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1455
Joined: January 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Location: McMinnville, Oregon

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#169 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » January 9th, 2019, 9:13 pm

2013 Schloss Gobelsberg Riesling Tradition
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18117
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#170 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 9th, 2019, 10:41 pm

2000 Arcadian "Francesca's" Pinot Noir

as noted in Grammer's thread. Absolutely stunning now, and into the future. Opened at a meal with Ashley and a couple of our best friends --- dined at Gjelina (first time for all of us), and the food was as good as the company and the wine. No kids present. All around, it was just a fantastic experience.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30744
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#171 Post by c fu » January 10th, 2019, 7:38 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 10:41 pm
2000 Arcadian "Francesca's" Pinot Noir

as noted in Grammer's thread. Absolutely stunning now, and into the future. Opened at a meal with Ashley and a couple of our best friends --- dined at Gjelina (first time for all of us), and the food was as good as the company and the wine. No kids present. All around, it was just a fantastic experience.
Having no kids present always makes the wine more enjoyable.

Lol
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18117
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#172 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 10th, 2019, 7:57 am

These days, very true!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
Posts: 2789
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#173 Post by Peter Hirsch » January 11th, 2019, 11:43 am

So hard. Looking back over:

1990 Giacosa 'Falletto di Serralunga' riserva
1989 Giacosa 'Falletto di Serralunga' riserva
1998 Chave 'Cathelin'

One of those...

User avatar
Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3493
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Location: LA Adjecent

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#174 Post by Peter Petersen » January 11th, 2019, 9:58 pm

These are only selected from wines I bought:

1994 Rostaing, Côte Blonde, close to perfect for an older wine and my wine of the year.

2016 Model Farm, Chard and Syrah, are both discoveries of the year. The Chard has been mentioned already and it’s a clear winner. Fresh and complex. Served on several occasions and everyone has commented on the the wine being great.
The Syrah was to me also a big surprise. Showing it self as extremely civilized for a young syrah. I could drink this more often and I wish i had not been against CA Syrah earlier as I would otherwise have bought these in the past. Only tried once at Taco Temple while waiting for a table, everyone loved it even though they generally drink heavy octane Paso stuff.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1190
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#175 Post by Mike Maguire » January 11th, 2019, 10:13 pm

2007 Schrader CCS, I’m not a baller, but nothing even remotely close.

PCLIN
Posts: 1338
Joined: August 3rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#176 Post by PCLIN » January 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 9:58 pm
These are only selected from wines I bought:

1994 Rostaing, Côte Blonde, close to perfect for an older wine and my wine of the year.
Don’t have any ‘94 Rostaing Côte Blonde but I will open a ‘98 soon. FWIW, the ‘98 La Landonne is drinking remarkably well at the moment.
Chiu Lin

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2377
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#177 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 12th, 2019, 4:56 am

2008 Domaine de le Romanee-Conti La Montrachet:
My pop note says, "Flint, yellow fruit, pitched!" I'll say, it's that times 1000! This wine was the first opened, and the last sip, I think for everybody, 5 hours later! First, when I say flint, can you picture a flint perception that is juicy? That's about as good as I can describe the flinty, steely mineral perception that this Monty exuded. The yellow fruit was pitched, and pithy. I want to call it rich, but I think everpresent is a better word, as it seemed to take up all space. There was a tactile quality to the fruit, and a very positive ever so slight hint of something tropical.

The wine stayed fresh in my memory for quite a long time! Funny, you used ever-present (we both spelled it improperly,Ha!). I love wines that leave you searching for ways to describe, or make you over-exaggerate and wax poetically.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Andrew A r n t f i e l d
Posts: 168
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#178 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » January 12th, 2019, 5:50 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 2:54 pm
luc@sl@belle wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm
1997 Gaja Sperss flirtysmile
Had that on release. Amazing even then.
That was my #2 WOTY. It was a close call but I gave the #1 slot to a wildly complex 2002 Bollinger R.D. Extra Brut.

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1867
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#179 Post by Jayson Cohen » January 12th, 2019, 7:04 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 4:56 am
2008 Domaine de le Romanee-Conti La Montrachet:
My pop note says, "Flint, yellow fruit, pitched!" I'll say, it's that times 1000! This wine was the first opened, and the last sip, I think for everybody, 5 hours later! First, when I say flint, can you picture a flint perception that is juicy? That's about as good as I can describe the flinty, steely mineral perception that this Monty exuded. The yellow fruit was pitched, and pithy. I want to call it rich, but I think everpresent is a better word, as it seemed to take up all space. There was a tactile quality to the fruit, and a very positive ever so slight hint of something tropical.

The wine stayed fresh in my memory for quite a long time! Funny, you used ever-present (we both spelled it improperly,Ha!). I love wines that leave you searching for ways to describe, or make you over-exaggerate and wax poetically.
:) That didn’t suck.

A.Gillette
Posts: 1119
Joined: September 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#180 Post by A.Gillette » January 12th, 2019, 9:07 am

2017 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel Auction

Got to taste it twice at the auction. All of the recent vintage Lauer wines from the higher end of the pradikat have that magical Mosel quality of cold water ripping through a mountain stream to offset the sweetness. This had that, but also an extra element of earthen funk and complexity. This was Lauer with an extra element to it. The Riesling of my dreams.
A
Alex

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3303
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#181 Post by RyanC » January 12th, 2019, 9:13 am

A.Gillette wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 9:07 am
2017 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel Auction

Got to taste it twice at the auction. All of the recent vintage Lauer wines from the higher end of the pradikat have that magical Mosel quality of cold water ripping through a mountain stream to offset the sweetness. This had that, but also an extra element of earthen funk and complexity. This was Lauer with an extra element to it. The Riesling of my dreams.
A
That sounds awesome. I love Lauer but never had this one.
C@ughey

User avatar
Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3493
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Location: LA Adjecent

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#182 Post by Peter Petersen » January 12th, 2019, 10:09 am

PCLIN wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 9:58 pm
These are only selected from wines I bought:

1994 Rostaing, Côte Blonde, close to perfect for an older wine and my wine of the year.
Don’t have any ‘94 Rostaing Côte Blonde but I will open a ‘98 soon. FWIW, the ‘98 La Landonne is drinking remarkably well at the moment.

Yes, I actually also drank a ‘98 Côte Rôtie that was really really good.

User avatar
Joseph MR
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 404
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#183 Post by Joseph MR » January 12th, 2019, 11:01 am

Joseph MR wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Perhaps Rhys Horseshoe Chardonnay 2012
I had forgotten about tasting a mini vertical of Clos
St. Hune last January (how could I!) including the 1990,
´88 and ‘83. Anyone of those would have been worthy [thumbs-up.gif] .
ra + * ter

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2377
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#184 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 12th, 2019, 11:09 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 7:04 am
Charlie Carnes wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 4:56 am
2008 Domaine de le Romanee-Conti La Montrachet:
My pop note says, "Flint, yellow fruit, pitched!" I'll say, it's that times 1000! This wine was the first opened, and the last sip, I think for everybody, 5 hours later! First, when I say flint, can you picture a flint perception that is juicy? That's about as good as I can describe the flinty, steely mineral perception that this Monty exuded. The yellow fruit was pitched, and pithy. I want to call it rich, but I think everpresent is a better word, as it seemed to take up all space. There was a tactile quality to the fruit, and a very positive ever so slight hint of something tropical.

The wine stayed fresh in my memory for quite a long time! Funny, you used ever-present (we both spelled it improperly,Ha!). I love wines that leave you searching for ways to describe, or make you over-exaggerate and wax poetically.
:) That didn’t suck.
We gotta do it again soon!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Doug Ackerman
Posts: 467
Joined: December 6th, 2009, 9:16 pm
Location: Willamette Valley, OR

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#185 Post by Doug Ackerman » January 13th, 2019, 5:22 am

hmmm just one

97 Domaine J.-F. Mugnier Bonnes Mares

Just in the zone from the first whiff to the last sip
https://www.redelectricwines.com/
Armstrong Vineyard
Newberg, OR

A Songeur
Posts: 934
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 6:45 am

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#186 Post by A Songeur » January 13th, 2019, 5:55 am

Haut Brion 1961 which defied law of diminishing return,
Then, quite a few fabulous Burgs... A great year ref to wines drunk
Antoine

Vikrant Rachakonda
Posts: 97
Joined: December 18th, 2016, 9:22 am

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#187 Post by Vikrant Rachakonda » January 13th, 2019, 8:10 am

Pichon Baron 1990

Christian H
Posts: 5
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#188 Post by Christian H » January 14th, 2019, 7:50 pm

To be honest...i did a horrible job tracking my wine consumption in 2018...and that's why I'm now here...so , with the obvious said... apparently i missed out on many recommendations and on many amazing bottles that were uncorked..so if anyone has the time, i would be grateful to hear your top 3 recommend wines, under $100 for this year...
Thank you,
Christian H.

User avatar
Andrew Dodd
Posts: 169
Joined: January 5th, 2013, 2:53 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#189 Post by Andrew Dodd » January 15th, 2019, 10:07 am

2010 Abreu Thorevilos
2012 Sine Qua Non Grenache Rattrapante Eleven Confessions Vineyard
2015 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon
1965 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Single Harvest Very Old Tawny

I decided to include 4, sue me

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3422
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

#190 Post by LMD Ermitaño » January 23rd, 2019, 6:07 pm

Greg K wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 10:59 am
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 12:28 am
Subu Ramachandran wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 12:03 pm
1976 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia
Excellent wine (I assume this was the gran reserva). Their ‘81 is also superb.
Opened one a year ago for my birthday....and it was corked :(
Always annoying to come across a corked bottle; but, it happens, doesn’t it?

I recall, some months before a friend & I decided to start distributing LdH, I opened a bottle of their Tondonia GR Blanco which was corked (purchased in the Duty Free of Barcelona airport on the way home to Manila). Said friend who was in touch with one of their people mentioned it, and they sent me via air a replacement bottle plus another. That seriousness about quality, among others, helped me decide to start distributing their wine.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”