I’m New and have 1,000 Questions

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ClayS

I’m New and have 1,000 Questions

#1 Post by ClayS » November 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm

...but I’ll just start with 1 at a time! I don’t have the resources to purchase high dollar wine. I usually drink what I buy on a monthly budget of $100. I ususally buy 8-10 bottles with this much. What would you buy if you only had $100 a month and drank 2-3 bottles a week???

Looking forward to getting to know you good folks.
CSt@nsberry

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I’m New and have 1,000 Questions

#2 Post by Bdklein » November 8th, 2018, 6:14 pm

ClayS wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 6:08 pm
...but I’ll just start with 1 at a time! I don’t have the resources to purchase high dollar wine. I usually drink what I buy on a monthly budget of $100. I ususally buy 8-10 bottles with this much. What would you buy if you only had $100 a month and drank 2-3 bottles a week???

I'd buy beer.
Bruce Klein

Elliot Steele

#3 Post by Elliot Steele » November 8th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Hmm check out white burgundy from the Macon region. Plenty of great wines coming out of that region for $15/btl. Andre Bonhomme being one of those producers. Also look for the reds coming out of Puglia in southern Italy. Negroamaro is pretty cheap and tasty for the money. For my money I like Cantele Salice Salentino Riserva for about 10 bucks a pop. The 2013 is drinking quite nicely now.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 8th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Welcome aboard, Clay.

Here is one easy and inexpensive purchase:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=155545&p=2608597&hi ... e#p2608597

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Welcome! Can you tell us what you have liked? Oceans of good, inexpensive wines out there.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Jeff Vaughan » November 8th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Welcome to the board. With that budget I think it is easier to find good, inexpensive whites. Quite a few can be found in Italy. Collestefano Verdicchio is one we drink a lot of. For reds I would look at Cotes du Rhone.
CT: outplaying

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm
Welcome! Can you tell us what you have liked? Oceans of good, inexpensive wines out there.
Yes, stylistically we need to know where to point you. There are bargains everywhere but Northern Rhone and Burgundy (and Champagne)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kirk.Grant » November 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Clay, welcome to the forum! It would help to know what wines you like first...but there are a lot of value wines out there that are also really special. I'd suggest starting with Matua Pinot Noir for about $12 to see if you like high acid, light bodied reds. I'd suggest trying some mid-level German Rieslings in the $15-$18 range as I think they are some real values. Welcome to the forum, hopefully you can link up with some folks at offlines. Its a great way to learn...
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Nathan Smyth

#9 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 8th, 2018, 6:56 pm

ClayS wrote:
$100 a month... 2-3 bottles a week...
So 8 to 12 bottles per month?

100 / 12 = 8.33

100 / 8 = 12.50

$8.33 to $12.50 is an almost impossibly difficult price range.

For whites, you might be able to find Torres Vina Sol down around $9.99

And there are some jurisdictions where Zardetto Prosecco can be had in the $11's.

On the sweet side of things, Paolo Saracco Moscato d'Asti would take you over budget by a dollar or two.

But as for reds, you got me.

I don't know of any reds, with strong nationwide distribution, which are worth seeking out in that price range.

Locally, I'd purchase this by the case: https://www.westgatewinestore.com/2013- ... _4366.html

But that wouldn't do you any good if you were off in Alaska or Guam or wherever.

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J Dove » November 8th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Bdklein wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 6:14 pm
ClayS wrote:

I'd buy beer.

That's an uninformed and unhelpful response.

When I graduated from college, I caught the wine bug from working in a package liquor store owned by a wine lover. I regularly bought absolute shit at the time. But, I learned a lot. Today, nearly 30 years later, I can assure you that for the SAME price I was paying then, you can buy wine that is orders of magnitude better. The quality of $10-$15 wine today -- particularly from places like Spain, Beaujolais, the Loire Valley (Muscadet!), the Languedoc and Corsica, Portugal, and Italy dwarfs what was available in the States back then.

You're in a golden era for wine. My suggestion: find a high quality retailer with a broad selection who has experienced staff (or prolific shelf-tags) and operates on low margins. Experiment like I did. You'll find that you can drink very, very well for under $15 today. Tonight, I sampled three wines -- a ~$70 Bordeaux, a $45 Freisa from Piemonte, and a $14 Corsican Red from Domaine Petroni. The cheapest wine was showing the best tonight.

Anyone who thinks you can't swing what you're trying to do doesn't know what they're talking about. Period.

Cheers,
JD
Last edited by J Dove on November 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

GregT

#11 Post by GregT » November 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm

What all these people said - tell us what you liked and it's easier to make suggestions.

BUT -

It's really hard if you're talking $10 a bottle. There are precious few wines at that price level, unfortunately. You can find some whites from here and there, and the occasional rosé, but you do better at $15 and if you're between $15 and $20 you will have a lot to choose from.

Ten wines on $100 is really hard. If you're OK with seven or eight wines, or can increase your budget to say, $150, that's what I would go for. At the $10 level, you'll get a lot of industrial wine you find in supermarkets, or really cheap stuff that is specially bottled for outfits like Trader Joe's. It's really what you want to avoid.

As you move up, and not like triple but only slightly, you start getting into wine that's from regions that aren't as famous or in-demand as others, or from grapes that are less in demand, or from places where families have owned property for generations and don't have to amortize their hundred million dollar purchase. So you can look at parts of Italy, which has an ocean of good cheap wine, or parts of France, that has a lot of inexpensive wine that is radically different depending on whether it's from the north or south, or Spain, which has another ocean of good wine, or even other countries in Europe. You also start finding decent stuff in the US, South America, Australia, and elsewhere. But it all depends on what you like - random recs aren't going to be particularly useful. Cheers!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

jon leifer

#12 Post by jon leifer » November 8th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Welcome aboard, lotta very tasty affordable Italian whites, I like Zenato for Lugana and Pinot Grigio, from NZ, Matua also makes nice Sauv blanc as well as the previously mentioned PN, , from Washington, Kung Fu Girl reisling , once you get past the kitchy name, is an easy drinker for about $10..Also from Washington, Columbia Crest Grand Estates line, Cab and Merlot around $10 or less.
for an occasional sparkler, Zardetto and Mionetto make affordable Proseccos.
and an occasional beer ain't all that bad either
Jon

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by J Dove » November 8th, 2018, 7:03 pm

GregT wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 6:58 pm
What all these people said - tell us what you liked and it's easier to make suggestions.

BUT -

It's really hard if you're talking $10 a bottle. There are precious few wines at that price level, unfortunately. You can find some whites from here and there, and the occasional rosé, but you do better at $15 and if you're between $15 and $20 you will have a lot to choose from.

Ten wines on $100 is really hard. If you're OK with seven or eight wines, or can increase your budget to say, $150, that's what I would go for. At the $10 level, you'll get a lot of industrial wine you find in supermarkets, or really cheap stuff that is specially bottled for outfits like Trader Joe's. It's really what you want to avoid.

As you move up, and not like triple but only slightly, you start getting into wine that's from regions that aren't as famous or in-demand as others, or from grapes that are less in demand, or from places where families have owned property for generations and don't have to amortize their hundred million dollar purchase. So you can look at parts of Italy, which has an ocean of good cheap wine, or parts of France, that has a lot of inexpensive wine that is radically different depending on whether it's from the north or south, or Spain, which has another ocean of good wine, or even other countries in Europe. You also start finding decent stuff in the US, South America, Australia, and elsewhere. But it all depends on what you like - random recs aren't going to be particularly useful. Cheers!

I agree with that. For whites -- $12 and reds, $14 and up.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

ClayS

#14 Post by ClayS » November 8th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I don’t drink anything carbonated so beer is out :)

I generally like big, thick cabs but can’t afford them. I have had some great ones but didn’t have to pay...one of the best I can remember was a Magnus? (this was years ago and I guess I have mistaken the name but I thought this was it from California $199 per bottle at a business function). My “go to” is J. Lohr. I generally stick to California wines, but am willing to experiment. I do like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and some Merlots but prefer Cabs. Thanks again! newhere
Last edited by ClayS on November 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSt@nsberry

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by J Dove » November 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm

My impression is that California isn't where it's at if you want really good red wine for less than $15. Lots of very high production industrial stuff... Not knowing where you live, you might try to find a Total Wine. While they sell LOTS of plonk -- there's a good bit of high quality and inexpensive wine from the regions I suggested. Try 2014 Lanessan Haut Medoc from Bordeaux, for example. I'd explore Spain, too.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » November 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm

I’d suggest Ravage Cabernet based on the “thick cab” and $12 price point information.

IMO, It would also be worth seeking out some deals on Seghesio Zinfandel and Tenshen Whites. Good deals would likely still be a bit above the price range you mentioned, but it would be worth trying them given their quality/price ratio (QPR).

Good luck out there.

ClayS

#17 Post by ClayS » November 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm

J Dove wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm
My impression is that California isn't where it's at if you want really good red wine for less than $15. Lots of very high production industrial stuff... Not knowing where you live, you might try to find a Total Wine. While they sell LOTS of plonk -- there's a good bit of high quality and inexpensive wine from the regions I suggested. Try 2014 Lanessan Haut Medoc from Bordeaux, for example. I'd explore Spain, too.
Thanks for the great info. I just updated my profile with my location. I know we have lots of good wine places around so I will have to start exploring. A LOT to learn!
CSt@nsberry

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Glen Gold » November 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm

I don't know what part of the world you're in, but if K&L ships there, you might have some options. I love Cal cabs, but the cheapest one I've had that I'd recommend was $25. However Bordeaux occasionally has something interesting. This is $12: https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1382579 and if you do a search based on price, you can find others of similar quality.

It's not cabernet, but for the most flavor, there's this crazy thing called Domaine Lafage Bastide Miraflors -- it's mostly syrah, and it has the rich taste you might like, but also a lot of extra gears, and it's $13, maybe the best $13 I've spent on wine: https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1322647

ClayS

#19 Post by ClayS » November 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm
I’d suggest Ravage Cabernet based on the “thick cab” and $12 price point information.

IMO, It would also be worth seeking out some deals on Seghesio Zinfandel and Tenshen Whites. Good deals would likely still be a bit above the price range you mentioned, but it would be worth trying them given their quality/price ratio (QPR).

Good luck out there.
Funny you should mention Ravage! I have a bottle of that in the wine rack. I do like this. I also have some Josh, Joel Gott, and some Wine Garage I got for $10 per bottle that was one of the best wines I have ever had (2006 I think). Thanks for the other recommendations.
CSt@nsberry

Nathan Smyth

#20 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 8th, 2018, 7:59 pm

ClayS wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:12 pm
I generally like big, thick cabs
I don't know of anyone who is making a wine like that at the $12.50 price point.

Back circa 2005, you might have been able to get a Marquis-Philips Cabernet, from Australia, for $12.50.

But the successor venture to Marquis-Philips, called "Mollydooker", has its cheapest Cabernet at about $19.99 to $24.99: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/mollydooker+maitre

I have never personally tasted the wine, but you might look for Bonny Doon "A Proper Claret":

https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp? ... per+claret

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/bonn ... per+claret

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » November 8th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Get a job in the weed business so you have some money to spend.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by ykwon » November 8th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Go to Costco and pick up some of the Kirkland stuff. I hear some of it is very good for the price. There’s a Costco wine blog that reviews wines regularly.
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

ClayS

#23 Post by ClayS » November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm

So, what are some big cabs from California to check out? Below $50...and I don’t have a friend with a helicopter...
CSt@nsberry

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » November 8th, 2018, 8:20 pm

ClayS wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm
So, what are some big cabs from California to check out? Below $50...and I don’t have a friend with a helicopter...
Lol! Budgets really do increase that quickly once you get into wine. My #1 in this range is Venge Silencieux.

Nathan Smyth

#25 Post by Nathan Smyth » November 8th, 2018, 8:44 pm

ClayS wrote:
I'd check out Australia, Spain, Chile, Argentina, and even Bordeaux before I started looking at California.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#26 Post by Robert M yers » November 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

For the style your looking for I’d look to Argentinian Malbec or Garnacha from Spain. Lots of drinkable stuff to explore in the $8-15 range in those regions.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by B. Buzzini » November 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Do you have a Grocery Outlet?
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Gary York

#28 Post by Gary York » November 8th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Your budget would go much further if you got out of California. You can find a few things in Italy and France, but Chile and Argentina are your best bets.
ITB

Gary York

#29 Post by Gary York » November 8th, 2018, 10:05 pm

And many places offer a 10% mixed case discount. So if you can work that it might help a bit.
ITB

Gary York

#30 Post by Gary York » November 8th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Find some new friends that have nice cellars/collections.
ITB

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Mark Y » November 8th, 2018, 10:32 pm

How did the budget go from $100 a month to $50 a bottle??
At this rate, very Soon you will be drinking petrus! ;)
Y.e.

Elliot Steele

#32 Post by Elliot Steele » November 8th, 2018, 11:03 pm

ClayS wrote:
I'd check out Smith Madrone. Very well balanced, well made Spring Mountain estate cab that ages well. Their riesling isn't too shabby either and also ages very well.

Elliot Steele

#33 Post by Elliot Steele » November 8th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Forgot to mention one of my favorite QPR bottles from Cali is Halcon Alturas. It's Syrah from the Yorkville Highlands not too far north of Napa Valley. Absolutely killer juice and so affordable. Well worth seeking out.

Gerhard P.

#34 Post by Gerhard P. » November 8th, 2018, 11:53 pm

I´ve no idea about US-market but there should be a lot from Southern France:
Minervois, Corbieres, Faugeres, Fitou, Roussillion, Cotes-du-Rhone, Costieres de Nimes etc. -
and always look at the label if they are bottled at the property (better no negociant bottlings).
Good (red) wines from these regions can be found in France for 4-9 € ...

For white: Picpoul de Pinet ... or Muscadet de Sevre et Maine
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Henry Kiichli » November 9th, 2018, 12:11 am

I don't know or agree with all of the following, but it fits your theme

https://thetakeout.com/really-great-win ... 1830303914
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 9th, 2018, 1:26 am

Here is another Bordeaux option at $15 and rated 90-92 by Neal Martin:

https://www.b-21.com/2016-Chateau-Cap-d ... -VSN7Q8KhA

A modern right bank Bordeaux, which is predominantly merlot, should appeal to a Napa Cab drinker. This wine should be easy to find. Incidentally, I recall paying $20 when the 2005 vintage came out.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 9th, 2018, 1:31 am

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Scott Brunson » November 9th, 2018, 3:37 am

Glen Gold wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm

It's not cabernet, but for the most flavor, there's this crazy thing called Domaine Lafage Bastide Miraflors -- it's mostly syrah, and it has the rich taste you might like, but also a lot of extra gears, and it's $13, maybe the best $13 I've spent on wine: https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1322647
That is a great call.

As others have said, that is a really difficult price point for quality reds.
M. Chapoutier Domaine De Bila-haut
The Kirkland Napa Red Blend is drinkable, but not one of their best.
Explore other wines from Domaine Lafage
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by J Dove » November 9th, 2018, 3:42 am

Gary York wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 10:07 pm
Find some new friends that have nice cellars/collections.
+1

That really helped me out a lot.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Jim Stewart » November 9th, 2018, 4:08 am

ClayS wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I don’t drink anything carbonated so beer is out :)

I generally like big, thick cabs but can’t afford them. I have had some great ones but didn’t have to pay...one of the best I can remember was a Magnus? (this was years ago and I guess I have mistaken the name but I thought this was it from California $199 per bottle at a business function). My “go to” is J. Lohr. I generally stick to California wines, but am willing to experiment. I do like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay and some Merlots but prefer Cab. Thanks again! newhere
Reminds me of the time I "treated" my wife to business class on one of her overseas flights. She will never look at coach the same way, and this has become the source of some (heated?) conversation as we plan flights. . .
Back to your request. I think you have a lot of decent comfort in coach, I mean a lot of choice of wine in the $10-$12 +/-. Some of it very enjoyable, a lot of it "meh". There a big world of wine out there, so it helps to get advice and you will get some on this forum. Ignore the comments that seem discouraging and sift through for suggestions. Since you prefer Cab, I suggest you give "Substance CS" a test drive. Might be slightly above your average price range but it is very good. If you are open minded, and are near a Costco, I would also suggest trying Kirkland Cotes du Rhone Villages (red) and Kirkland Ti Point Sauvignon Blanc (white). These are both about $7, and will give you room to "splurge" on occasion (well maybe not on first class !) [cheers.gif] -Jim
P.S. Welcome!
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 9th, 2018, 4:23 am

Lots of good suggestions. I agree that the whites will be MUCH easier to do on the original budget than the reds. Verdicchio, soave, and arneis should provide some options. For reds, I also agree that CA is probably not going to provide fertile hunting for your price range. Attorney Alfert recommends some bdx slightly above your price range that I think you'd probably like a lot. I'd also look to priorat; there are huge numbers of big, thick Spanish wines in the $15 (and perhaps below) price range that a thick-CA-cab lover might enjoy.

As for $50 CA cabs, there are innumerable threads on precisely that topic, so a little hunting there should turn up what you want.

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Sean Malloy » November 9th, 2018, 4:31 am

Clay: Two things that are important here, both of which have been mentioned above but worth reiterating and adding a little context.

1. As a couple people have said above, there is a huge difference in what is available at the $15+ price point compared to the $10 price point. It all revolves around cost. it's simply hard to produce a wine for $10 using responsible farming techniques (or buying from farmers who do), crafting a wine with care rather than a formula in mass volume, getting grapes from a better area, etc. It's way more complicated than that, but both here and if you read online, you'll find that people with experience think that the most important $5 jump is from $10 to $15. If your wine budget is fixed for now, and you really want to explore quality wine, I'd strongly advise buying a little bit less volume. Six wines at $17 is going to give you a lot more quality than nine wines at $11 or $12. (There are some, and some have been recommended above, but they are rare finds).

2. There's more value in Europe than the U.S. Part of that is land price, part of it is our three tier system, part of it is the youth of the region, and there are other factors. But basically, $15 for a Spanish or Italian wine is going to get you a lot more than $15 from the U.S. This is even more relevant when it comes to Napa. Napa land prices are through the roof, and wine is priced accordingly. When people on this board talk about value in Napa, they are talking about the amazing job that some producers do to make a great wine for $60 instead of the more common $110. So my advice if you like big thick California cabs is to look for similar intensely flavored and relatively high alcohol wines from Europe. Gerhard's advice of Southern France and Robert's related to Spanish Garnacha are really good calls in this respect (as is the Argentinian Malbec call).

Good luck!

Markus S

#43 Post by Markus S » November 9th, 2018, 4:53 am

ClayS wrote:
...and I don’t have a friend with a helicopter...
Ah, you catch on quick! [wink.gif]

I didn't have much of a budget when I began my wine journey either, but back then you could buy Los Vascos cabernet from Chile for $3.75/bottle! Perhaps drink less, but better? And you are really NOT going to find value in California at that price point, you'll need to expand to Europe which has the best QPR of any region on Earth (and some of the worst as well). If you like big, rich wines, try an aglianico from southern Italy like the Feudi di San Gregorio Rubrato. It'll cost around 13-14 dollars. See if you like that style. Tons others like it.

Good luck and report back often.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#44 Post by Markus S » November 9th, 2018, 4:54 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm
Doesn't everyone? We have grocery stores all over the place, but they are not allowed to sell booze except for beer.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#45 Post by Markus S » November 9th, 2018, 4:57 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 4:23 am
Lots of good suggestions. I agree that the whites will be MUCH easier to do on the original budget than the reds.
I've never thought this. I think it easier to find quality reds at a cheaper price than whites. Most of the cheaper whites tend to be anonymous without any sense of place.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » November 9th, 2018, 5:25 am

Markus S wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 4:54 am
B. Buzzini wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm
Doesn't everyone? We have grocery stores all over the place, but they are not allowed to sell booze except for beer.
Grocery Outlet is a trade name for a supermarket chain on the west coast.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jeff Vaughan » November 9th, 2018, 5:55 am

Markus S wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 4:57 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 4:23 am
Lots of good suggestions. I agree that the whites will be MUCH easier to do on the original budget than the reds.
I've never thought this. I think it easier to find quality reds at a cheaper price than whites. Most of the cheaper whites tend to be anonymous without any sense of place.
I disagree with this. I think one of the reasons that it is easier to find better, inexpensive whites is that they are often done in stainless steel, eliminating the cost of barrels, and allowing the grape and terroir to show. I tend to like high acid, crisp whites though, so I am probably biased.

(edited for typos)
Last edited by Jeff Vaughan on November 9th, 2018, 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
CT: outplaying

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 9th, 2018, 6:00 am

You and I are of like minds, Jeff.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#49 Post by larry schaffer » November 9th, 2018, 6:38 am

Clay,

Welcome to the board! And yep, prepared to be 'overwhelmed' by help and opinions!

I would head into some of the stores near you and ask for suggestions based on exactly what you've told us you'd like. I'd look into doing tastings at these stores if offered, and tastings at wine bars in the area to further narrow down what you like.

You can always take flyers and order from K and L or other retailers that have great choices at the price points you've mentioned.

And my guess is that there are loads of Berserkers in the area willing to share their wines and expertise as well.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Markus S

#50 Post by Markus S » November 9th, 2018, 6:41 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
November 9th, 2018, 5:55 am
... I think one of the reason that it is easier to find better, inexpensive whites is that they are often done in stainless steel, eliminating the cost of barrels, and allowing the grape and terroir to show. I tend to like high acid, crisp whites though, so I am probably biased.
True enough, but try to find character in these wines and they will be lacking. Most of the whites in the bargain category are not ones that will age very well and are made more for quaffing than something you would seriously cellar and learn from.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Return to “Wine Talk”