Announcements and planning of Offline events
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

DALLAS FORT WORTH Berserker Event in November

#1 Post by K John Joseph » August 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Dallas "BERSERKERFEST" Nov. 16-17th

Nov. 16th - Grailey's - 1544 Edison St., Dallas, TX 75207
Location Notes: Grailey's entrance is largely unmarked. It is adjacent to Frosted Art Bakery, which has a bright pink facade. Grailey's is next door with a brown tile front. Walk into the entrance. No need to knock. I'll be there by 4:30 or so. The event will take place in the back room. Straight down the main corridor all the way to the back. If you are met by staff (they're wonderful), just let them know you're here for the Berserkers event or just for John's event.
Time: 5:00 - 9:00
Food: Pecan Lodge Brisket, Sausage, Fried Chicken, Cole Slaw, Mac n Cheese
Cost: $0 per person
Stems: Riedel 22 oz bdx style stems. You may bring your own, but will be responsible for keeping track of them.
Non-alcoholic beverages: Lots of water bottles handy
Dress: Typically casual to business casual. I'll be in jeans, dress shirt, pullover. Some will wear slacks and dress shirt/jacket.
Other Event Notes: Grailey's is a brokerage firm and has old and rare bottles in inventory. If you decide there isn't enough wine, or that you'd like to get something rare, old, or unique, they'll happily show you an inventory list and sell you bottles. Please be kind to staff. They work hard, are knowledgeable, and are kind in turn to the members and their guests. Parking is limited in the front. Across the street and dozen yards down Edison away from Hi-line is Grailey's Dallas warehouse space. There is parking in front. Or, please taxi/lyft/uber over and try a few more good wines! Grailey's closes down at a reasonable hour, so expect to begin shutting down around 9:00.

Nov. 17th - Kane House - Coppell, TX 75019
Location Notes: Corner of Gifford and Blackfield, Gray 2 story. Park in front or on Blackfield side street. No alley parking.
Other Location Notes: Walk right in. Please don't knock or ring bell. The dog's name is Zeus. He's friendly, loves people.
Time: 6:00 -- whenever
Food: See thread for details. 6:15 canapes, 7:00 dinner (may roll to 7:30)
Cost: $0 per person
Stems: Riedel 13 oz white and 22 oz bdx style red stems catered in. You may bring your own, but will be responsible for keeping track of them
Non-alcoholic beverages: Lots of water bottles handy
Dress: Casual -- I'll be in jeans and a henley, sweater, or long sleeve tee shirt. Be comfortable.
Other Event Notes: Please uber/lyft/taxi. Be nice to the dog(s).
IMPORTANT: I apologize but this is not a drop in event. If we've not discussed an RSVP I won't have a seat or food for you. Again, my apologies.

Costs and Full Disclosure: All, I am excited to get to meet many of you for the first time and to get to share another drink with others. I also think this is a great way for many of us to get to know each other better while enjoying our shared hobby. To that end and after arranging all the catering and the like, I pitched my law partners on the firm backing this as a networking event. They like the idea of getting everyone together, and agreed to reimburse me for the vast majority of the costs involved with putting all of this together. The rest I'm pleased to cover as host. There will be no cost, pooling of funds, etc. for any attendees of this event. I'm extremely happy to get this all going, to get to meet many of you for the first time, and to get to share some great wines over a couple of evenings.

Oh, and you'll also get a nifty Kane Russell Coleman Logan wine key. So cheers, and don't forget to snag one!
Last edited by K John Joseph on November 16th, 2018, 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: DALLAS FORT WORTH Berserker Event in November

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Should be at least 2-day event! Make it worth my time getting out there, and enough to convince Charlie Fu to go

(I like your get-up-and-go model, as I JUST suggested it via PM!)
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 16th, 2018, 6:51 am

Hollering! 11/6 birthday here.....would be awesome to celebrate with some good, fun peeps.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by K John Joseph » August 16th, 2018, 9:44 am

Noted! And Bumpity Bump
J0hn-J-K4ne

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 18th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Just now seeing this and sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Michael
PlanoWino

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » August 26th, 2018, 8:05 pm

I'd consider coming up from Houston for it.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm

K John Joseph, are you out there. I sent a PM on the 18th. Not certain if you received it.

Michael
PlanoWino

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by scamhi » August 27th, 2018, 5:59 pm

interested in a Dallas event
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#9 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 27th, 2018, 7:23 pm

scamhi wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 5:59 pm
[thumbs-up.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 27th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 7:23 pm
scamhi wrote:
[thumbs-up.gif]
Wow, yay!!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by scamhi » August 28th, 2018, 5:18 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 7:24 pm
Jorge Henriquez wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 7:23 pm
scamhi wrote:
[thumbs-up.gif]
Wow, yay!!!
get to visit Izzy too.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 28th, 2018, 6:41 am

Does Izzy post here? If not, one of us might let him know.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by K John Joseph » August 28th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm
K John Joseph, are you out there. I sent a PM on the 18th. Not certain if you received it.

Michael
Michael,

Never received it and just rechecked my PMs.

Anyone recall who was putting together the email list for Texas berserkers? That was being constructed at some point. Be a damn fine means of getting together responses!
J0hn-J-K4ne

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by CJ Beazley » August 28th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Did you get mine?
It's C(raig)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#15 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 28th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Are we gonna make this a big event, get Berserkers from everywhere out there? Gotta think of potential venues like Peking Duck House in NYC

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 30th, 2018, 5:13 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 2:32 pm
Michael O'Brien wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Michael
Michael,

Never received it and just rechecked my PMs.

Anyone recall who was putting together the email list for Texas berserkers? That was being constructed at some point. Be a damn fine means of getting together responses!
I am going to PM you again right now. If you don't receive it, there is a problem with the delivery system.
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 30th, 2018, 5:20 pm

K John Joseph. Just sent you another email through the board. Sent a copy to myself and received it. Hopefully this time you will receive it.

Michael
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Are we gonna make this a big event, get Berserkers from everywhere out there? Gotta think of potential venues like Peking Duck House in NYC
As K John knows, in the Dallas- Ft. Worth area, good BYOB restaurants are few and far between and most of them are not big venues like the Peking Duck House in NYC. It is hard to accommodate large groups. In order to know which places to contact, K John will have to have a good idea of how many people will attend or set a limit up front. A large number will eliminate many restaurants at the start. The nights of the week will also be important. Weekends are difficult. Any quality restaurant is packed on weekend evenings. Seating a large group at one time will probably also require a fixed menu at a fixed price. Size of group and nights of the week are decisions that should be made up front (group size limit/nights of the week/dates etc.). Once that is determined, then venues can be contacted and reservations made.

There are several of us in the area that can help with that. Joe Dulworth who chimed in earlier in this thread probably has the most comprehensive email list of wine lovers in this area. I would love to see this happen.

Michael
PlanoWino

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 30th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
As K John knows, in the Dallas- Ft. Worth area, good BYOB restaurants are few and far between and most of them are not big venues like the Peking Duck House in NYC. It is hard to accommodate large groups. In order to know which places to contact, K John will have to have a good idea of how many people will attend or set a limit up front. A large number will eliminate many restaurants at the start. The nights of the week will also be important. Weekends are difficult. Any quality restaurant is packed on weekend evenings. Seating a large group at one time will probably also require a fixed menu at a fixed price. Size of group and nights of the week are decisions that should be made up front (group size limit/nights of the week/dates etc.). Once that is determined, then venues can be contacted and reservations made.

There are several of us in the area that can help with that. Joe Dulworth who chimed in earlier in this thread probably has the most comprehensive email list of wine lovers in this area. I would love to see this happen.

Michael
I forgot Dulworth is from the area! I've only seen him out HERE at Berserker events, so it's time for me to go to him, I guess

Bill Tex Landreth

#20 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » August 31st, 2018, 8:35 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Michael
This.

John, I never saw a reply from my PM either
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by K John Joseph » August 31st, 2018, 1:09 pm

I'm losing PMs. Bill, I didn't receive one from you. Michael, I've received and responded to your email. I think we could do a Friday evening at Grailey's and cater in Pecan Lodge BBQ (just about the best in the state for you foreigners). They do pulled pork, brisket, beef rib, pork ribs. No sauce (though their sauce is good). Not too refined, but they also have good fried chicken for those whites. Reasonable price per head, lot of food, Texas-centric.

Night 2, the follow Sat., would be hosted by a berserker. I should be good to host in November, and know others have nice pads as well. I'm near DFW for you out of towners, and probably a similar drive from Plano, Frisco, Arlington, Southlake, and Dallas. Just did a kitchen reno and be fine cooking. Ovens and Big Green Egg.

Joe, Jeb (maybe), Bill, Michael, Me. A lurker attorney friend and a lurker consultant bud would also be down at least one night, guaranteed. There are a few others good for a good offline who did not catfish me on previous occasions despite my wife's request I bring a rape whistle.

Love to get CJ Beaz to play so I can hear stories about Ben Hogan.

November 9-10. Before too close to Halloween. Later too close to Thanksgiving.

Thoughts?
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by K John Joseph » August 31st, 2018, 1:11 pm

I can sit 10 at my dining room table and 4 at a bar right next to it, but that's my max sitting and eating capacity. If we're going to get 20 people and BYOB at a restaurant, I'll be taking suggestions from those in the know. The 10-12 works with Grailey's private room as well.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Bill Tex Landreth

#23 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » August 31st, 2018, 1:32 pm

Screw Pecan Lodge. I can cater for 50 if we can do it on a Saturday.

SRF Brisket
TX Kielbasa
Mac and Cheese
Borracho Beans
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 31st, 2018, 2:01 pm

Nov 9-10 might not work for me - checking with 'the boss' as we have a tentative event in the calendar

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 3rd, 2018, 10:14 am

Thanksgiving is on the 22nd this year so probably need to go before that. As for us, we leave for Cuernavaca for a wedding after Thanksgiving.

From my perspective, smaller groups present less logistical challenges and allow for decent pours. Larger groups are harder to manage in almost all respects.
PlanoWino

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#26 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 13th, 2018, 11:09 am

If we do Nov 16-18 I'm in

Brad S c h i e r

#27 Post by Brad S c h i e r » September 13th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I am interested. I am in the midst of youth sportsaplooza. So would have to be evening and nights. Only weekend I know is out is Nov 16-18 weekend.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 14th, 2018, 3:47 pm

We can do 16 - 18 too.
PlanoWino

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by CJ Beazley » September 15th, 2018, 6:34 am

16-18 works. Waiting on a pm back from KJJ must be like the girls waiting on me to call them-back when I was dating, payback I suppose.
It's C(raig)

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#30 Post by Jorge Henriquez » September 15th, 2018, 6:55 am

KJJ breaking all them hearts. I can just see the country music song writing itself.
Cohort Numero Uno!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by K John Joseph » September 17th, 2018, 8:28 am

Gentlemen,

November 16-18 works for me. I am awaiting two things: (i) sign off from the wife to host at our house on Saturday the 17th; and (ii) confirmation from Grailey's re Back Room reservation and obligations for same.

Idea here is 5:00 Friday shotgun start at Grailey's. Champagne meet and greet followed by Texas BBQ. I will likely ensure there is some fried chicken so we can sling whites and reds. Note that Texas BBQ is optional sauce and beef focused, so reds are pretty much all in play.

Saturday would be 5:00 meet and greet at my house, followed by dinner. Our table seats 10 and bar seats another 4. Dinner will be something casual.

I should have estimated costs on all food/location costs by the middle of this week. Please email me at JKane@KRCL.com if you are a likely YES participant on those dates and let me know number in party.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Dan Hammer » September 17th, 2018, 8:48 am

If the plans change, my wife is away Veterans Day weekend 11/9 -11/12. [wink.gif]
This space for rent.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 18th, 2018, 4:11 pm

K John, not certain if you are getting your PM email again yet but I just sent you one. If this happens 16 - 18 November my wife and I are in. I sent you my email and cell number in the message. Let us know if there will be a theme for the event at your house. Time to do a little planning.

Michael
PlanoWino

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by RyanC » September 18th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I'd love to come up to Dallas sometime, meet y'all, and drink some wine, but unfortunately I'll be in DC Nov 16-18.
C@ughey

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by K John Joseph » September 27th, 2018, 2:54 pm

We're on for the 16th and 17th. The theme on the 17th is "your favorite wines." I'd like those bringing something to bring something they really like and want to share with wine geeks. Think of a few words to say about why you like it or why you brought it. Don't care if it's champagne, rhone, or Napa cab. Bring something that's your wheelhouse. That will help us all learn a little about what some of us like to drink while also ensuring something you like is handy.

I'll prime the pump, likely with Champagne, N. Rhone, and Napa cab because I like those wines and it's a bit of something for everyone. And we'll see where things go from there.

The 16th is going to have Texas BBQ (sauce optional) and fried chicken. Bring what you want to drink with that.

We'll hammer out final deets as we get closer, but this is on and will not flake.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#36 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:54 pm
We're on for the 16th and 17th. The theme on the 17th is "your favorite wines." I'd like those bringing something to bring something they really like and want to share with wine geeks. Think of a few words to say about why you like it or why you brought it. Don't care if it's champagne, rhone, or Napa cab. Bring something that's your wheelhouse. That will help us all learn a little about what some of us like to drink while also ensuring something you like is handy.

I'll prime the pump, likely with Champagne, N. Rhone, and Napa cab because I like those wines and it's a bit of something for everyone. And we'll see where things go from there.

The 16th is going to have Texas BBQ (sauce optional) and fried chicken. Bring what you want to drink with that.

We'll hammer out final deets as we get closer, but this is on and will not flake.
Texas bbq is beef brisket, right? (primarily)

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#37 Post by Jorge Henriquez » September 28th, 2018, 4:56 am

Fatty side for me por favor!!! Goes phenomenally well with those delicious, waxy N.Rhone whites!
Cohort Numero Uno!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by K John Joseph » September 28th, 2018, 7:30 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
K John Joseph wrote:

Yeah. We will have beef brisket, beef ribs, pulled pork, pork ribs, house-made sausage, fried chicken, cole slaw, and green chili mac. But the brisket is the star of the show and will be most prevalent.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#39 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 28th, 2018, 7:38 am

K John Joseph wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 7:30 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
K John Joseph wrote:

Yeah. We will have beef brisket, beef ribs, pulled pork, pork ribs, house-made sausage, fried chicken, cole slaw, and green chili mac. But the brisket is the star of the show and will be most prevalent.
I thought Jorge was the star of the show?

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#40 Post by Jorge Henriquez » September 28th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Waxy whites will steal the show......blee-atch!
Cohort Numero Uno!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#41 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 28th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:27 pm
Waxy whites will steal the show......blee-atch!
You know I got em, if you want em. Charlie won't even be there to disallow you from drinking them.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#42 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 1st, 2018, 5:46 pm

Do we have an attendee list??

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by K John Joseph » October 2nd, 2018, 11:45 am

Positive Responses to Date:

John Kane (+ 1 Sat)
Louis Robichaux (+1?)
Todd French (+1?)
Jorge Henriquez (+ Latin Flair)
JR Kennedy (+1?)
Michael Obrien
CJ Beazley
Joe Dulworth (likely)
Brian M
Alex O
Michael Francis (likely)
Bill Tex

Waiting to hear from Jeb Singleton, YKwon, Eric Werner, and Scott Fitzgerald

Have some lurkers on me about it as well.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » October 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

John, just replied to your email. Definitely interested. Will check with my wife and look to confirm soon. Thanks!

Bill Tex Landreth

#45 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » October 2nd, 2018, 11:56 am

John, did you see my email and or pm about me handling some beef for Saturday?

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by K John Joseph » October 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

Bill, I'm breathless at the prospect of you handling my meat, but I've got Sat covered.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by K John Joseph » October 2nd, 2018, 12:25 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:56 am
Fatty side for me por favor!!! Goes phenomenally well with those delicious, waxy N.Rhone whites!
I hate to admit that I thought about this today while eating delicious fatty brisket from Sammy's BBQ near my office this afternoon.
J0hn-J-K4ne

edward bowers

#48 Post by edward bowers » October 2nd, 2018, 12:30 pm

In FW on the 14> to 16th At the Worthington.

Brad S c h i e r

#49 Post by Brad S c h i e r » October 2nd, 2018, 1:43 pm

Sorry I will miss you guys. Really wish I could make it. We are out of town that weekend.

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by T Fletcher » October 4th, 2018, 6:59 am

I need to check with the wife to see if we have plans other than soccer games this weekend. Will get back ASAP.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

Return to “Offline Planner”