The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3201 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » July 4th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Pretty sure it is the same one as I surmised might be 2015 Rancia a few weeks ago. The addition of the note that it "could be" one of AG's highest rated reds for 2015 comports with the "94-97" score AG gave 2015 Rancia earlier this year.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3202 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » July 4th, 2018, 5:51 pm

That makes sense and would be lame.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3203 Post by Nate Simon » July 4th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Bob G wrote:
If you’ve been with them for a long time and only now got defrauded, consider yourself lucky.
Nate:

That's quite harsh. I don't know your experience, but I've been buying from Garagiste for over 15 years and I don't think I have ever been defrauded. I have been selective with my purchases. I don't buy mystery wines or unknown California and Washington wines. I research what they offer (more quickly than I used to have to as many offers sell out very quickly now) and only buy what I know or want to try. Have I had wines i wouldn't buy again? Yes, but the winners have by far out weighed the losers and they have offered some wines that I would never see in my mid-western market at very reasonable prices too. I have never had an issue with provenance either. All of my purchases have been sound and in great condition when received. When they confirm an order, you can count on it. For the prudent buyer, I think Garagiste provides a great service and a selection that I could not access otherwise. I like the ability to buy a bottle or two to try and combine with other purchases for reasonable shipping charges. You do have to wait for shipment, but i have plenty of other wines to drink and don't mind that either. It works for me and I am a satisfied customer.
Hi Bob-
Glad to hear you’ve had positive experiences overall. I did get some very interesting wines from them, some very good wines and good values. However, the unabashed bait-and-switch tactics (which were at times a tie between total customer service failure and overt fraud) were intolerable. There are many reliable sources for good wine recommendations and prices. No need to put up with their bush-league “check’s in the mail” shenanigans.

Arv R

#3204 Post by Arv R » July 7th, 2018, 10:14 am

Youre getting 'check is in the mail' type of situations for things you knew what you were ordering? or are you referring to the 'mysteries'?
===========
My general problem rate with vendors (wrong vintages, wrong vineyards, outright flat out wrong bottles etc. but NOT including taint/TCA/cooked) is about 1-2% of wines a year. Even the best vendors will have small glitches - this is a business where a store with a deep stock may have 3000-8000 SKUs and not all their staff knows the differences between every bit of arcana. And although most of the time the glitches are not in my favor , maybe 40% of the time they are, and I get something slightly better than I paid for. Rarely do I find it worth making a fuss about, since I'm not playing at the high stakes Le Pin / DRC table.

But on that dimension of quality control in shipping/inventory I've only had 1 error over 17 years with garagiste. Everybody else has more, even firms which used to bat 1.000, eventually had a glitch too.

I would basically ask myself if i was having vendor problems

a) is it deliberate
b) will they fix it (if desired)
c) is the situation deteriorating over time

I posit most problems come from scammy mystery offers. Avoiding those, and accepting that one will only get a fair value from the other emails, is I think the safe/sweet spot.

Perhaps I'll get my comeuppance after this defense, when some 2002 Rhones end up replacing 2015's waiting to be shipped.

PS: Nate, you should join us for some of the Sacramento tastings....
R_@_0

Troy Stark

#3205 Post by Troy Stark » July 13th, 2018, 5:36 am

rfelthoven wrote:Glad to see someone else found this supposed email tribute pretty sickening and self-serving. Shame on him.
That email was in no way a tribute. It was a disgusting, self-aggrandizing, narcissistic atrocity.

I've been trying to find one decent offer to fill the partially complete case I currently have pending. Once that's done, I'll never buy another wine from him again.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Bill P

#3206 Post by Bill P » July 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Bret D!sk!n wrote:I just re-checked the offer and he omitted that it is the same "bottle" as what trades around the globe (though he did include label, which is puzzling). He often includes "bottle" when offering mystery wines if its not a re-bottling. So I think this is likely another wine that was bottled for Garagiste. Does anyone know if there is any further information on the back of the bottle?

I'd get stonewalled if I emailed since I haven't received mine yet, but someone who has theirs should email and ask them to send the Vinous review for this wine to try and settle this one.
I have the back label of the Maestro but don't see how to attach a photo.
Bill Pendergast

Arv R

#3207 Post by Arv R » July 13th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Did anyone ever pick up or identify this Rhone mystery from back in March?

=================

If you’re a Northern Rhone enthusiast, you’ve been patient.

It’s been a long time (nearly ten years by my count) - Mystery Wine has featured just about every other major vinous region in the US and Europe...except for the Northern Rhone.

Well?

Today’s your day.

Yesterday, we ventured to 2016 in the Southern Rhone and today it’s 2016 in the Northern Rhone with a Cornas and Crozes-Hermitage two-step that will fill your gullet (and your intellect) with Syrah-laced abandon.

A “terroir meets tradition” vintage, the 2016’s are going to be swooned over by those that favor Cote Blonde/Cote Brune years such as 1991. They have beautiful poise and a truly “Northern Rhone” aesthetic to their spine versus quite a few Barossa meets Ampuis vintages of late that have begun to tilt the middle ground too far to the big and extracted side of things (in a region that made its name on the exact opposite - wild perfume meshed with a medium-weight Syrah meets cerebral Chambolle style that offered the taster/collector a welcome touch of mystery).

Did someone say mystery?

Yes, indeed I did.

What I can tell you:

• Both below are the exact same wine, cork, label, contents and wine as what trades around the globe as I type this (that’s somewhat of an oxymoron as “around the globe” is relative considering Cornas does not exactly grow on trees).

• Both have just arrived – this is not a pre-arrival!

• I have to offer both on the same missive as quantities are minuscule compared to a typical Mystery Wine – that does not mean they are from the same producer. Maybe, maybe not :)

• For their respective regions, both represent fantastic value and both are from what most would consider to be “A” level hands.

• The Crozes-Hermitage has not been reviewed yet (many 2016’s have not) but at $16+, reviews are a moot point as the $ below should be among the lowest in the world. The wine is a beautiful bottle of Syrah that screams Northern Rhone but it has the pulse of 2016 that puts it in the enviable position of “I want to glug the entire bottle” next to “I want to cellar my bottle” - both are appropriate!

• The Cornas has been reviewed (multiple reviews from the top-line of US critics) and the reviews are enticing indeed - no notes less than 90pts. I hesitate to add anything else to this as Cornas from a great year has a tendency to evaporate rather quickly (at just about any $) and the $ below is, uh, low for Cornas and should be the lowest in the US...FOR SURE.

Why can’t I reveal the name of the producer(s)? If I do, I have to ask you for more $ and that doesn’t seem fair :)
R_@_0

M Mager

#3208 Post by M Mager » July 13th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Arv R wrote:Did anyone ever pick up or identify this Rhone mystery from back in March?

=================

It’s been a long time (nearly ten years by my count) - Mystery Wine has featured just about every other major vinous region in the US and Europe...except for the Northern Rhone.

Well?

Today’s your day.

Yesterday, we ventured to 2016 in the Southern Rhone and today it’s 2016 in the Northern Rhone with a Cornas and Crozes-Hermitage two-step that will fill your gullet (and your intellect) with Syrah-laced abandon.

A “terroir meets tradition” vintage, the 2016’s are going to be swooned over by those that favor Cote Blonde/Cote Brune years such as 1991. They have beautiful poise and a truly “Northern Rhone” aesthetic to their spine versus quite a few Barossa meets Ampuis vintages of late that have begun to tilt the middle ground too far to the big and extracted side of things (in a region that made its name on the exact opposite - wild perfume meshed with a medium-weight Syrah meets cerebral Chambolle style that offered the taster/collector a welcome touch of mystery).

Did someone say mystery?

Yes, indeed I did.

What I can tell you:

• Both below are the exact same wine, cork, label, contents and wine as what trades around the globe as I type this (that’s somewhat of an oxymoron as “around the globe” is relative considering Cornas does not exactly grow on trees).

• I have to offer both on the same missive as quantities are minuscule compared to a typical Mystery Wine – that does not mean they are from the same producer. Maybe, maybe not :)

• For their respective regions, both represent fantastic value and both are from what most would consider to be “A” level hands.

• The Crozes-Hermitage has not been reviewed yet (many 2016’s have not) but at $16+, reviews are a moot point as the $ below should be among the lowest in the world. The wine is a beautiful bottle of Syrah that screams Northern Rhone but it has the pulse of 2016 that puts it in the enviable position of “I want to glug the entire bottle” next to “I want to cellar my bottle” - both are appropriate!

• The Cornas has been reviewed (multiple reviews from the top-line of US critics) and the reviews are enticing indeed - no notes less than 90pts. I hesitate to add anything else to this as Cornas from a great year has a tendency to evaporate rather quickly (at just about any $) and the $ below is, uh, low for Cornas and should be the lowest in the US...FOR SURE.

Why can’t I reveal the name of the producer(s)? If I do, I have to ask you for more $ and that doesn’t seem fair :)
i believe this was the vincent paris offer
Michael

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3209 Post by dsGriswold » July 14th, 2018, 11:33 am

Troy Stark wrote:
rfelthoven wrote:Glad to see someone else found this supposed email tribute pretty sickening and self-serving. Shame on him.
That email was in no way a tribute. It was a disgusting, self-aggrandizing, narcissistic atrocity.

I've been trying to find one decent offer to fill the partially complete case I currently have pending. Once that's done, I'll never buy another wine from him again.
I finally I had to stop by on a trip back to pick up a couple bottles that were subbed and took a couple of years to arrive. Fortunately Full Pull had a few waiting for me to make the stop worth while.
DennisG

Bill P

#3210 Post by Bill P » July 14th, 2018, 11:53 am

M Mager wrote:
Arv R wrote:Did anyone ever pick up or identify this Rhone mystery from back in March?

=================

Well?

Today’s your day.

Did someone say mystery?

Yes, indeed I did.

What I can tell you:

Yes, it's 2016 Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30.
Bill Pendergast

Tom W

#3211 Post by Tom W » July 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Bill P wrote:
M Mager wrote:

=================

Well?

Today’s your day.

Did someone say mystery?

Yes, indeed I did.

What I can tell you:

Yes, it's 2016 Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30.
A decent deal then. The couple of CT notes are favorable. Garagiste was <$26 (+ delivery) Lowest wine-searcher.com Pro U.S. price is $30 and most are $33+ with K&L at $37.
W a r d

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3212 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » July 19th, 2018, 8:57 am

Mark Morrissette wrote:2015 Tuscan Mystery....

Given all the times he has offered this in the past, I assume it is:
2015 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione IGT
?
Others speculated that this could be the Rancia, or something else.

Does anyone have confirmation yet?

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3213 Post by PeterH » July 19th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Tonight's Scott Paul Audrey offer seems too good to be true, ~$27 for a proven Dundee Hills winner year after year.

With Jon, I always wonder what could go wrong. I ordered anyway.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Tom W

#3214 Post by Tom W » July 19th, 2018, 10:16 pm

PeterH wrote:Tonight's Scott Paul Audrey offer seems too good to be true, ~$27 for a proven Dundee Hills winner year after year.

With Jon, I always wonder what could go wrong. I ordered anyway.
I was scratching my head on that one too. We were in the Scott Paul tasting room six years ago and mentioned that we'd first heard about them due to a Garagiste purchase. We got an earful and none of it was positive. I could swear that the person pouring guaranteed us that we would never ever see their wines with Rimmerman again. Yet here we are many years later. It's a tough business and wineries need to do things to keep afloat no matter how distasteful they find it.
W a r d

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3215 Post by Adam Noble » July 19th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Scott Paul had a different owner six years ago, I believe.

Hoang Pham

#3216 Post by Hoang Pham » July 19th, 2018, 10:24 pm

I believe they were sold in 2014 to a larger winery. I wonder if that somehow affected the vintage. In any case, in for a few.

Tom W

#3217 Post by Tom W » July 20th, 2018, 7:26 am

Hoang Pham wrote:I believe they were sold in 2014 to a larger winery. I wonder if that somehow affected the vintage. In any case, in for a few.
Regarding Scott Paul wines, you are correct. I did some quick research and 2014 was the last vintage in which the label was wholly owned by the founders before selling to Rich Guy X.

http://greatnorthwestwine.com/2014/12/0 ... -to-healy/
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3218 Post by PeterH » July 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm

The sale to Cameron Healy should have had no effect on the 2014 wine. Healy was already a financial partner, and Kelly Fox continued as winemaker in 2014. WS gave the 2014 Audrey 91 points, for what that is worth. The wine comes in at 13.5 ABV, restrained for a warm year. I've had several dozen different Scott Paul wines, and I don't recall any that was not good, with most being excellent. Other than the small, but finite, possibility that the wine has been stored improperly, it should be a great value for the price
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

M a t t W e i n s t e i n

#3219 Post by M a t t W e i n s t e i n » July 22nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

Get yer' orders in for 2015 Fontalloro (er... 2015 Tuscan IGT)! I mean, I suppose it could also be Il Carbonaione. Either way...

Kasey Dubler

#3220 Post by Kasey Dubler » August 6th, 2018, 11:38 am

Curious if anybody has picked up a few mystery wines yet? Specifically the 2 below:

Mystery Madness California Syrah 750ml (California). This was from early May at $14.99 each

2016 Mystery St Joseph 750ml (Rhone). This was middle to end of March at $19.91. I think this may be a Vincent Paris, it was offered around the same time as the Mystery Cornas, but I do not know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Steven Miller

#3221 Post by Steven Miller » August 8th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Another crazy low Scott Paul offer today. Scuttlebutt is they are going under.
tread lightly

Tom W

#3222 Post by Tom W » August 8th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Steven Miller wrote:Another crazy low Scott Paul offer today. Scuttlebutt is they are going under.
Yipes. That's too bad. And odd given that the investor bought out Scott Paul Wright for full ownership not too long ago.

But how about the wine? How is the '15 La Paulee?
W a r d

Tom W

#3223 Post by Tom W » August 8th, 2018, 5:26 pm

OK, it was nearly four years ago since he sold out.

Also, per this article, they changed winemakers in 2015...
http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/267/
"At the end of 2014, Scott Paul Wines was sold to businessman Cameron Healy, a sixth generation Oregonian who founded both Kettle Foods and Kona Brewing Company. Healy became a partner in Scott Paul Wines in 2005, and bought the remaining shares in 2014. Wright will stay on as a consultant through 2015, but his focus will be his new Burgundy and grower Champagne company. In 2015, winemaker Kelley Fox was replaced by Ian Burch, formerly of Evening Land Vineyards and an understudy to Dominique Lafon. Shawn Bavaresco, advertising marketing specialist, joined the winery as President and Partner."
W a r d

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3224 Post by Mark Stevens » August 8th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Ian is now winemaker at Archery Summit, having replaced Chris Mazepick a couple of months ago. Chris still has his own winery, Ebony, focused on chardonnay as well as a little Syrah. Ian and Chris are both great vintners, not to mention peeps!

I too heard through the grapevine yesterday that Healy has pulled the plug on Scott Paul. Given that, not so surprised by the recent Garagiste deals.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3225 Post by PeterH » August 8th, 2018, 8:01 pm

I've tasted many of the wines Ian Burch made, and I think he is a hell of a good winemaker. Too bad about the winery losing it's focus under new ownership, but buy and enjoy the wines.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Tom W

#3226 Post by Tom W » August 8th, 2018, 8:46 pm

PeterH wrote:I've tasted many of the wines Ian Burch made, and I think he is a hell of a good winemaker. Too bad about the winery losing it's focus under new ownership, but buy and enjoy the wines.
Thanks for the info. Now let's just hope that the liquidating owner isn't saving a few dollars by turning off the A/C in the warehouse prior to handing over those final cases to Garagiste...
W a r d

Steven Miller

#3227 Post by Steven Miller » August 8th, 2018, 10:24 pm

The 2015 La Paulee being closed out thru Garagiste has NOT been posted to the Scott Paul website.

http://scottpaul.com/wines/
tread lightly

Michael Davidson

#3228 Post by Michael Davidson » August 9th, 2018, 8:29 am

If anyone is interested but avoids Garagiste, Vinopolis has similar pricing on these wines.

Tom W

#3229 Post by Tom W » August 9th, 2018, 8:41 am

Michael Davidson wrote:If anyone is interested but avoids Garagiste, Vinopolis has similar pricing on these wines.
Thanks for the tip! Garagiste's July 23 offer for the '14 La Paulee has expired. It was $13.91. Vinopolis is showing $18.00

Garagiste's Aug. 8 offer for the '15 La Paulee is open at pixel time. Vinopolis is not showing that vintage.

Garagiste has not made a recent offer on the '13 La Paulee. Vinopolis shows at $18.00

I now see Sec showing the '13 and the '14 at $17.89. The rush is on.
W a r d

Tom W

#3230 Post by Tom W » August 9th, 2018, 8:47 am

Steven Miller wrote:The 2015 La Paulee being closed out thru Garagiste has NOT been posted to the Scott Paul website.

Gulp. I already submitted a request for half a dozen. Fingers crossed. One potential good sign is that cellartracker.com shows a photo of a bottle with a 2015 label. So that indicates the wine has been bottled. Here's hoping this wine is neither a) mishandled prior to getting to Garagiste nor b) "bottled especially for Garagiste", which would give the producer a way of giving Rimmerman a "final goodbye".
W a r d

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3231 Post by PeterH » August 9th, 2018, 9:49 am

I got an e-mail today directly from Scott Paul, with clearance prices up to 48% off on quantities of 24+.

That gives me confidence that the Garagiste offers are not on compromised wines.

It may seem too good to be true. We know. But, if you place an order before 9/6/2018 on the wines listed in this offer, you'll receive up to 48% off and inclusive ground shipping on a case or more.

EMAIL US TO ORDER

CALL US TO ORDER

Order 12+ bottles and take an additional 20% off
Order 24+ bottles and take an additional 30% off

2013 Audrey Pinot Noir – Originally $85, Now $63.75 WE 93pts
2015 Maresh Pinot Noir – Originally $85, Now $63.75 WE 94pts
2016 Maresh Pinot Noir – Originally $85, Now $63.75

2013 Azana Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WE 91pts
2014 Azana Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WS 92pts
2015 Azana Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WE 92pts
2016 Azana Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45

2013 D122 Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45
2014 D122 Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WS 90pts
2015 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WE 93pts
2016 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45

2013 Entre Nous Pinot Noir – Originally $45, Now $33.75

2014 Bedrock Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45
2015 Nysa Pinot Noir – Originally $60, Now $45, WE 92pts

2016 Gamay Noir – Originally $30, Now $22.50, WE 90pts

EMAIL US TO ORDER

CALL US TO ORDER
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3232 Post by PeterH » August 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

If it has not been confirmed, the 2015 Tuscan Mystery is indeed the Felsina Rancia.

Mystery single vineyard Pinot Noir - 2015 Wilde Farm Donnelly Creek
Mystery Madness California Syrah - 2013 Qupe Reserve
Meritage Mystery single vineyard - 2015 Wilde Farm Bedrock Vineyard
Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Mystery - 2012 Gabbiano Gran Selezione
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #2 - Westwood Legend Sonoma red blend
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #7- 2014 St. Clement Oroppas
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #8 - Pax Mahle Syrah

I have to say that most of those wines I would not have purchased knowing the identity, but I've got in-laws and friends who enjoy drinking them.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3233 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 9th, 2018, 3:22 pm

PeterH wrote:If it has not been confirmed, the 2015 Tuscan Mystery is indeed the Felsina Rancia.

Mystery single vineyard Pinot Noir - 2015 Wilde Farm Donnelly Creek
Meritage Mystery single vineyard - 2015 Wilde Farm Bedrock Vineyard
Gran Selezione Chianti Classico Mystery - 2012 Gabbiano Gran Selezione
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #2 - Westwood Legend Sonoma red blend
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #7- 2014 St. Clement Oroppas
Memorial Mystery Mayhem #8 - Pax Mahle Syrah

I have to say that most of those wines I would not have purchased knowing the identity, but I've got in-laws and friends who enjoy drinking them.
Thank you very much for posting this!

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3234 Post by Ron Slye » August 9th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Yes, thanks for posting it. Probably good deals, but like you I probably would not have purchased any of those normally.

Kasey Dubler

#3235 Post by Kasey Dubler » August 10th, 2018, 7:16 am

I can't see to find any information on a Qupe Reserve Syrah from 2013. They have a ton of single vineyard wines, is it possibly one of them? Or even the Bien Nacido Hillside, which is essentially their reserve wine. Or is it a special bottling? I wonder...

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3236 Post by PeterH » August 10th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I'll have to dig the Qupe out of the cellar and check. It was a scorching day, and I transferred the wines from air conditioned car to cellar slots as fast as I could. The vineyard designation is not listed on the Garagiste packing list.
BTW - the Pax Syrah is labeled The Hermit

One more - Mystery single vintage Chardonnay - 2015 St. Jean Cold Creek. That I won't drink, but I have a sister-in-law who thinks my usual selection of white wines are always thin and acidic, and is always asking for a California Chardonnay.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

jbray23

#3237 Post by jbray23 » August 10th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Tom W wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:The 2015 La Paulee being closed out thru Garagiste has NOT been posted to the Scott Paul website.

Gulp. I already submitted a request for half a dozen. Fingers crossed. One potential good sign is that cellartracker.com shows a photo of a bottle with a 2015 label. So that indicates the wine has been bottled. Here's hoping this wine is neither a) mishandled prior to getting to Garagiste nor b) "bottled especially for Garagiste", which would give the producer a way of giving Rimmerman a "final goodbye".
Why would you assume these are compromised? I assume they are at OWS or another wine warehouse in the WV.

I deal with Garagiste on the wholesale level, if you need to move something you go to them, Jon will move a ton of wine quickly and whatever’s left you offer to your customers..

I would never assume the winery would list the Garagiste sale on their website, I bet if asked the winery would deny any association and blame it on their distributor....
Jason, back itb

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3238 Post by PeterH » August 10th, 2018, 6:15 pm

PeterH wrote:I'll have to dig the Qupe out of the cellar and check. It was a scorching day, and I transferred the wines from air conditioned car to cellar slots as fast as I could. The vineyard designation is not listed on the Garagiste packing list.
BTW - the Pax Syrah is labeled The Hermit

The packing list said Reserve, but the label says Santa Barbara. The word reserve is not used on the label. The $15 price is OK, regardless.

This is a typical statement that illustrates how everything Jon says should be ignored.

"I can’t say much about “scores” but there are no community notes less than 90pts." In fact, there are zero community notes, period.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3239 Post by Sh@n A » August 10th, 2018, 7:52 pm

PeterH wrote: "I can’t say much about “scores” but there are no community notes less than 90pts." In fact, there are zero community notes, period.
[shock.gif] [shock.gif] [shock.gif]
/ @ g r @ \

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3240 Post by Ron Slye » August 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
PeterH wrote: "I can’t say much about “scores” but there are no community notes less than 90pts." In fact, there are zero community notes, period.
[shock.gif] [shock.gif] [shock.gif]
That does seem a bit sketchy.......

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3241 Post by Mattstolz » August 11th, 2018, 6:08 pm

PeterH wrote:
"I can’t say much about “scores” but there are no community notes less than 90pts." In fact, there are zero community notes, period.

doesnt surprise me one bit

Tom W

Re: The Garagiste Thread (The Great Enabler) Back to Life

#3242 Post by Tom W » August 14th, 2018, 8:35 am

Regarding the Mystery Madness California Syrah = 2013 Qupe: I haven't received mine yet, but a couple of thoughts.

First, I re-read the Garagiste pitch email. The word "Reserve" appears nowhere. Peter clarifies above that "The packing list said Reserve". That is how the word "reserve" got into this thread. So I see no deception there, because we only receive the packing slip when we receive the wine. Perhaps "reserve" was a placeholder that Garagiste used when doing the deal.

Second, we all know Jon is a weasel. One of his techniques is to insert misdirection into an endless stream of babble. In this case, he wrote "I can’t say much about “scores” but there are no community notes less than 90pts (if any) and the WA, Jeb, WS, WE are all at least 90pts or higher (if they’ve reviewed it) - that’s all I can say ;)". Experienced Garagiste buyers should assume this means there are neither community nor professional reviews of the wine (and, if there are, they are very sparse - maybe a single CT review and/or a single publication).

Peter said that this is the "Santa Barbara". If it is, then so be it. I've have a couple bottles of the 2012 Qupe Syrah SBC and if the 2013 is in the same league, it's a solid deal to my taste.

It seems that Galloni (Vinous) has reviewed the 2013 Qupe Syrah SBC, but I don't have a subscription

...but I have found it impossible to find ANYTHING on a 2013 vintage of Qupe Syrah SBC, including on the Qupe site and wine-searcher.com Pro. This effort is further confounded by the fact that Qupe also has a "Central Coast" Syrah (sometimes?) as well as SBC single-vineyard designations (sometimes) *AND* the fact that as cellartracker has grown, so have the number of careless users who really muck up the wines, creating duplicates and using one wine to track and taste other wines. I looked at the Qupe Syrah SBC and reported that about 1/3 of the label photos were "Central Coast". Many others were single vineyard labels. So this indicates that the community price information on cellartracker is becoming less helpful as is the tasting notes themselves for wines like Qupe Syrah...
W a r d

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3243 Post by Dennis Borczon » August 15th, 2018, 5:02 am

FWIW. Very attractive deal on Wind Gap 2015 Pinot Noir. $13. Doubt there is a better deal out there for a nicely restrained AFWE pinot like Wind Gap.

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3244 Post by Alan Newman » August 15th, 2018, 6:10 am

Dennis Borczon wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 5:02 am
FWIW. Very attractive deal on Wind Gap 2015 Pinot Noir. $13. Doubt there is a better deal out there for a nicely restrained AFWE pinot like Wind Gap.
Agreed. In for a case.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3245 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 15th, 2018, 7:29 am

Dennis Borczon wrote:
Yep. I asked for 3 to finish off a case and get the other wines that I have ordered.

Tom W

#3246 Post by Tom W » August 15th, 2018, 7:35 am

Alan Newman wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 6:10 am
Dennis Borczon wrote:
Agreed. In for a case.
Thanks to you two I upped my quantity from 4 bottles to half a case. Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm on this one.
W a r d

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3247 Post by Bret D!sk!n » August 15th, 2018, 8:51 am

Galloni review of the 2013 Qupe Syrah SBC is an 87 FYI.

Tom W

#3248 Post by Tom W » August 15th, 2018, 9:50 am

Bret D!sk!n wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 8:51 am
Galloni review of the 2013 Qupe Syrah SBC is an 87 FYI.
Thanks. Do you know when the note was published? We should compare that date to the Rimmerjob pitch date.
W a r d

Bret D!sk!n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3249 Post by Bret D!sk!n » August 15th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Vinous app says it was tasted in June 2016. There are two other 2013 Qupe Syrahs from 2013 (Bien Nacido) that are 93s, but it seems that he simply neglected to mention Vinous in his list of reviewers not less than 90 and unless one was reading that closely (I wasn’t) it is buyer beware on the mystery wine offer again.

Tom W

#3250 Post by Tom W » August 15th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Bret D!sk!n wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Vinous app says it was tasted in June 2016. There are two other 2013 Qupe Syrahs from 2013 (Bien Nacido) that are 93s, but it seems that he simply neglected to mention Vinous in his list of reviewers not less than 90 and unless one was reading that closely (I wasn’t) it is buyer beware on the mystery wine offer again.
Got it. So it seems like it was egregious deception. It was beyond just looking through for the parentheticals, it was an omission hidden in the wall of words. I'm starting to back away from Garagiste.

As someone from the industry (wholesale) said above, Rimmerman can be counted on to move unwanted volume. It's a valuable service, but for the consumer it is fraught unless we are absolutely sure we know exactly what we are getting.
W a r d

Return to “Wine Talk”