2015 Beaujolais TN thread - post notes here

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Arv R

#101 Post by Arv R » December 9th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Been drinking a bottle of the 2015 Jean Michel Dupre 'Terre Noire' VV [Beaujolais] the last 3 nights, cooled from the fridge. Medium bodied in viscosity, 12.5% abv, with a red berry / coffee nose. I don't find it acidic but perhaps others might. Not much tannin, and doesn't stand up enough to a sous vide strip steak sandwich. I like the ripe feel of 2015 though. Pretty good for an $11 K&L direct import. I'd give it a B, and would repurchase in ripe years.

Every time I have a glass of cold Beaujolais in a tumbler (not a wine glass) it reminds me of my first visit to Paris.
R_@_0

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by P Intag » December 10th, 2017, 11:39 am

This was a gorgeous 2015:
  • 2015 Antoine Sunier Régnié - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Régnié (12/9/2017)
    Seems pretty unanimous that this is a very good red and I have to agree. Nose is a bit tight, but fresh, showing dust, mineral, and ripe Gamay aromas. On the palate, ripe and deep but balanced with a good acidic streak. Primary, yes, but fresh and energetic. Sappy and succulent with good concentration and a long finish. I also think this will improve with a few years of age, given the structure and depth of fruit. (91 pts.)
My first taste of this producer and I'm very impressed. Anyone have opinions/style description/interesting notes on Antoine Sunier?
Paul

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by AlexS » December 10th, 2017, 11:47 am

Never heard of Sunier! Will keep an eye out, sounds like a delicious Cru Beaujolais - appreciate the note.
s t e w @ r t

Martin Steinley

#104 Post by Martin Steinley » January 1st, 2018, 9:38 pm

2015 Robert-Denogent Beaujolais-Village Cuvee Jules Chauvet -The late Jules Chauvet was an advocate of the “natural wine” movement in Beaujolais, which was subsequently spearheaded by the likes of Lapierre, Thevenet, Breton and Foillard.  Jean-Jacques Robert, who is better known for his old-vine Pouilly-Fuisse beauties, is pals with those guys and a few years ago began leasing a parcel of what were once Chauvet’s vines from Chauvet’s niece.  Old vines growing in decomposed granite, organic practices and no sulfur, except a smidge at bottling.  This is, hands down, the best 2015 Beaujolais that I have tasted – perfectly ripe and concentrated, but cool, fresh and vigorous, and with a beguiling hint of rawness that one gets with no/low sulfur wines done right (as from the four mentioned above, Didier Barral, Maxime Magnon and the like).  As Matthieu Lapierre explained in a recent publication, making wines like this is a bit of a high-wire act, but results like this compel he and others like Robert to do so.

Disclaimer: After tasting this wine, I am selling it.
ITB

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by fred o. » March 10th, 2018, 9:42 am

had a bottle of 2015 Lapierre Morgon last night. Perhaps the ripe fruit has settled down from when others in this thread tasted it earlier, or perhaps my palate has just been skewed by Cali fruit bombs :), but I actually enjoyed it. Definitely could tell that it was more on the dark fruited spectrum compared to other vintages but it had a strong gamy/earthy flavor going on that I thought was really interesting and enjoyable, and there was enough acidity for me at least at this point in its lifecycle. went well with a rich burger.

Arv R

#106 Post by Arv R » April 5th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Been drinking a bottle of the 2015 Georges du Boeuf Domaine de Combiaty [Brouilly] the last few nights. It has a dark, purplish hue but is lighter bodied with a nose of blackberries. Very minimal tannins, and just enough fruit to be enjoyed on its own, but not jammy/grapey. Not sure why, but locally I don't see the full du Boeuf lineup. It's warming up, and I'm looking forward to more bojo with spring foods. I'd give this a B and would repurchase in these ripe vintages.

I can't tell if the Domaine is a large vineyard that multiple bottlers have access to (sort of like Beckstoffer/ToKalon) or if its some named region within the AOC. I've seen other producers with that name, so it seems something like the above, no?
R_@_0

IlkkaL

#107 Post by IlkkaL » April 6th, 2018, 4:50 am

fred o. wrote:had a bottle of 2015 Lapierre Morgon last night. Perhaps the ripe fruit has settled down from when others in this thread tasted it earlier, or perhaps my palate has just been skewed by Cali fruit bombs :), but I actually enjoyed it. Definitely could tell that it was more on the dark fruited spectrum compared to other vintages but it had a strong gamy/earthy flavor going on that I thought was really interesting and enjoyable, and there was enough acidity for me at least at this point in its lifecycle. went well with a rich burger.
For me it was not a matter of the wine not being enjoyable or acidic/fresh enough but instead how different it is compared to more classic vintages. I did not feel that it delivered what I would expect and hope from it.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

A S K R O B A C K

#108 Post by A S K R O B A C K » April 7th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Nate Simon wrote:The 2015 Diochon Vieiles Vignes has great cranberry and rhubarb character, and lots of structure (fine tannins). I'd wait a few years to open another one.
Thanks for the note. Gilman had a concerning note on this wine, but, having experienced older bottles, I decided to have faith when I could nab a case for $18 per. Won't even think about it for 8-10 years.
d r e w s k r o b a c k

Arv R

Re: 2015 Beaujolais TN thread - post notes here

#109 Post by Arv R » November 12th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Over the last couple of nights we've been drinking the 2015 des Tours VV [Brouilly]. It's 14% but tastes cooler, lither. Lots of berry fruit here, yet not so shrill nor crisp. Great color for gamay. Only after really holding it in the mouth for a while, does a smidge of tannin emerge. Decided it wasn't 'big' enough for the beef in our supper, and finished the bottle off while reading, opting for a Medoc for the meat instead. Very gluggable and enjoyable. I'd buy this producer again in ripe vintages. It's hard to believe they've been making wine at this estate in some form or another for a 1000 years.
R_@_0

Lee Short

#110 Post by Lee Short » November 12th, 2018, 5:17 pm

A S K R O B A C K wrote:
April 7th, 2018, 6:04 pm
Nate Simon wrote:The 2015 Diochon Vieiles Vignes has great cranberry and rhubarb character, and lots of structure (fine tannins). I'd wait a few years to open another one.
Thanks for the note. Gilman had a concerning note on this wine, but, having experienced older bottles, I decided to have faith when I could nab a case for $18 per. Won't even think about it for 8-10 years.
Just catching this now.

Agreed, for $18 I'd have given it a spin. The wine has a low profile, but the track record is there.

Jared Wagner

#111 Post by Jared Wagner » December 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

2015 Yvon Metras Fleurie:

Popped, poured, and then drank over 3 hours. Gorgeous translucent magenta out of the bottle, followed by a little funk on the nose which I always enjoy. Juicy red and dark ripe fruit that needed some acidity to counter balance. Not sure if it was just a product of the vintage, but no structure whatsoever to act as a foil to the fruit. Enjoyable wine nonetheless, but could have a been terrific with just a little zip. 90pts.

Justin S

#112 Post by Justin S » December 11th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Jared Wagner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Popped, poured, and then drank over 3 hours. Gorgeous translucent magenta out of the bottle, followed by a little funk on the nose which I always enjoy. Juicy red and dark ripe fruit that needed some acidity to counter balance. Not sure if it was just a product of the vintage, but no structure whatsoever to act as a foil to the fruit. Enjoyable wine nonetheless, but could have a been terrific with just a little zip. 90pts.
I had a bottle that tasted remarkably fresh for the vintage and really impressed compared to other 15's I've had that were more like candied juice. I would not call the wine high acid, but it had good enough tension. Bottle variation? Maybe I was just pleasantly surprised after going in with low expectations. In any case, looking forward to trying the '17 of this wine.
$ ! n g h

Jared Wagner

#113 Post by Jared Wagner » December 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

Justin S wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 4:07 pm
Jared Wagner wrote:
December 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I had a bottle that tasted remarkably fresh for the vintage and really impressed compared to other 15's I've had that were more like candied juice. I would not call the wine high acid, but it had good enough tension. Bottle variation? Maybe I was just pleasantly surprised after going in with low expectations. In any case, looking forward to trying the '17 of this wine.
Justin,

Thanks for the thoughts. What have you heard about the 2017 vintage? I opened the 15 to help me make a buying decision on the 17's.

Justin S

#114 Post by Justin S » December 12th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Jared Wagner wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 11:47 am
Justin,

Thanks for the thoughts. What have you heard about the 2017 vintage? I opened the 15 to help me make a buying decision on the 17's.
I have not heard much about 2017 in terms of the characteristics of the wines, other than that yields were down again this year due to hail (like in 2016). This blog has some information on 2017 Metras in particular:
http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/fran ... olais-star

Only bought a few bottles of Metras Fleurie, so I thought it was a risk worth taking.
$ ! n g h

Edward H. Earles

#115 Post by Edward H. Earles » December 14th, 2018, 1:52 pm

2015 Domaine Lucien Lardy Fleurie Les Roches

4/16/2018 - I like this wine: NR (Edit)

We first tasted this after a 1-hour decant. At that point, had I tasted it blind, I would have sworn it was a Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir. It was indistinguishable from same. After another 45 minutes of air, the tannins strengthened. I found tangy red fruits (cranberry, redcurrant, maybe some red raspberry), subtle floral perfume, and fine but assertive and drying tannins. I think this wine needs 2 or 3 more years in the bottle for the tannins to recede a bit, and for the floral perfume to emerge. All in all, it presents a good QPR for $17, and is food-friendly.

2015 Domaine Lucien Lardy Fleurie Les Roches

5/31/2018 - I like this wine: 90 points (Edit)

Unlike the previous bottle, which was tannic and austere, this was generous, full-bodied, and delicious. It tasted like a cross between a Burgundy and a Grenache. It featured mixed red and black fruits, tobacco, and generous but fine tannins. I think it will improve over the next year or two with proper cellaring.

I have an assortment of the 2015 Lucien Lardy wines and plan to age them for a few more years before drinking.

Arv R

#116 Post by Arv R » July 11th, 2019, 9:41 pm

After flopping around in the pool with the kids, I popped open a 2015 Richard Rottiers [Moulin a Vent] to go with some cheese, bread, figs and hummus for a light summer supper. This is a really good BoJo! It's larger framed than the adult Kool Aid style of bojo, and you can pick up a smidge of tannin here, but its still fine for lighter food. Color is a medium bright ruby, and I get some bananas and cinnamon here on the nose. I was expecting it to be zippy, but the acid is very well balanced, and I found it just fine to have a glass by itself as I assembled a cold pantry supper. I'm not familiar with the region, nor this producer, but this is one to keep an eye out for.

It's a lot of wine for the money and I'd buy this again -- A- in my ledger.
R_@_0

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Mark.Ricca » July 12th, 2019, 7:47 am

Attended a wine dinner with Julien and his brother Antoine a little over a year ago at 90 Acres here in Jersey.

Great, down to Earth guys making really good wines with a lot of soul.

Drank what 2015s I had, but got a bunch of 2017s in 750 and mags and am looking forward to opening them.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Arv R

#118 Post by Arv R » September 16th, 2019, 9:36 pm

P Intag wrote:
November 29th, 2017, 1:10 pm

2015 Domaine Pascal Aufranc Chénas en Rémont - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Chénas (12/11/2016)
Not sure what to make of these 2015s Bojos. This wine was very similar to the Depeuble village bottle I tried from a couple of weeks ago. Many of the same characteristics; coarse tannins, coffee grounds, loads of ripe fruit (but not what I'd call overripe) with some earthy notes. Really a burly, muscular Bojo, with structure. I'm thinking this could be a vintage to age. (89 pts.)[/list]
I popped one of these tonight. The tannins seem to have smoothed out a little. There are tropical, banana type of notes on the nose. Maybe those will blow off tomorrow. It seems a shade fruitier than one of their Julienas I had in the spring. Incredible value for the money, and I look forward to trying whatever cru's they are bottling up.
R_@_0

Return to “Wine Talk”