Flannery Beef - Putting you in the Dry Aging Driver's Seat (plus some timeless favs)

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time.
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Flannery Beef - Putting you in the Dry Aging Driver's Seat (plus some timeless favs)

#51 Post by Scott Brunson » January 26th, 2018, 6:06 pm

please and thank you
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Steve Brickley » January 26th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Are items that are not shown above available at the 15% off? I have some
‘Build a Burger” and California Reserves in but the code not working for me. Happy to press go at higher price if you folks fix or toss in some beef for the difference. Berserkers don’t miss out on building your own burgers with some dry aged in them.
Steve

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by AlexS » January 26th, 2018, 7:04 pm

wat
s t e w @ r t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#54 Post by c fu » January 26th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
c fu wrote:
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
What is the price per pound? Do you cut it up and vacuum seal yourself or does Bryan do it for you?
should be about $27/lb. He will cut it up however you want to cut it. I can ask for 7 Jorge cuts and it'll be cheaper than buying 7 separately!
Except Jorge cuts are from the chuck end and the whole thing only has one chuck end, so you will have diminishing proportions of spinalis as you move toward the loin end. neener
what if i'm getting the super special parts only. [snort.gif] [snort.gif] . Yeah. Probably only get about 4 Jorge cuts. Rest will be the strip loin looking first cut and some thinner cap ribeyes.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#55 Post by c fu » January 26th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Steve Brickley wrote:Are items that are not shown above available at the 15% off? I have some
‘Build a Burger” and California Reserves in but the code not working for me. Happy to press go at higher price if you folks fix or toss in some beef for the difference. Berserkers don’t miss out on building your own burgers with some dry aged in them.
The only things at discount are the NY steak cuts and the whole custom aged stuff. Nothing else is 15% off or 30% off. CA reserves and Build a Burger have no discount. The code ONLY works for the CA reserve NY steaks, 60 day NY steaks and Pave Cut.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Steve Nordhoff » January 27th, 2018, 7:23 am

In for the pave’
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Adam H

#57 Post by Adam H » January 27th, 2018, 9:39 am

How many t-bones, porterhouses would one typically get from the whole shortloin?
Adam Hersly
www.herslywines.com

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Ed Murray » January 27th, 2018, 9:40 am

107 it is!
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Sean_S » January 27th, 2018, 9:45 am

I'm overflowing from Christmas but for those who have not had the Flannery. Try it and see what the hype is about. You wont be disapointed.

Gonna grill a strip for lunch in celebration of Berserker Day.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#60 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » January 27th, 2018, 9:48 am

I had to give this stuff a go for the first time. Can't wait.
Vincent - ITB

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Bryan Price » January 27th, 2018, 9:49 am

In for 8 NY steaks, thinking I can pull these out of the freezer all year long when the mood strikes me. My wallet is starting to hurt already and the day isn't over.
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Barry L i p t o n

#62 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 27th, 2018, 9:52 am

Steve, if they were the 8 oz, you got the last ones! Guess I'll try the 6oz.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on January 27th, 2018, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dean Fjelstul

#63 Post by Dean Fjelstul » January 27th, 2018, 9:53 am

Been waiting a while for this one. 6 steaks on the way!

Eric Cotte
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Eric Cotte » January 27th, 2018, 10:27 am

In for some NY strips and a 40 oz porterhouse just ‘cuz.
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. -Oscar Wilde

CT handle: recotte

David_T

#65 Post by David_T » January 27th, 2018, 10:36 am

Despite having Flannery with some of the folks from here in Chicago a few years back I somehow have passed over this previous BDs. Not today. In for some mixed NYs and threw in some mismatches and burgers as well. Can't wait to fire up the grill!
David Tietz

Steve Nordhoff
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Steve Nordhoff » January 27th, 2018, 10:38 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:Steve, if they were the 8 oz, you got the last ones! Guess I'll try the 6oz.
Indeed 8 of them!
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Eric Sch

#67 Post by Eric Sch » January 27th, 2018, 10:51 am

Just ate the last of our 2017 60 day BD Ribeye last night to prepare for BD today! We personally prefer the Ribeyes but more than happy with the NY. I also went looking for the sliders but didn't see them... alas I'll have something to order next time. Thanks Bryan - love these steaks!
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Nathan L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Nathan L » January 27th, 2018, 10:53 am

Can we use the lost aged meat from the 107/109 for a burger grind?...I am trying to form more argument for buying this to my wife!
N Lambright

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#69 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2018, 11:27 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:Steve, if they were the 8 oz, you got the last ones! Guess I'll try the 6oz.
Berry - I've just added some more inventory on the Paves; this next batch won't be aged and ready to ship until the week of Feb 12th, but if you can wait till then, we've got you covered! Let me know if you'd like to adjust your order to the 8ozs, and I can take care of it (-Katie)

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 27th, 2018, 11:33 am

Order in! My brother in law (and SIL) from Vancouver, WA. and then my best friends from New York will be visiting (separately) [snort.gif] and now we are ready! Don't want to spoil them too much or we will never get rid of them! grouphug [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Barry L i p t o n

#71 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 27th, 2018, 11:37 am

bryan flannery wrote:
Berry - I've just added some more inventory on the Paves; this next batch won't be aged and ready to ship until the week of Feb 12th, but if you can wait till then, we've got you covered! Let me know if you'd like to adjust your order to the 8ozs, and I can take care of it (-Katie)
Hi Katie;

Kind offer, email sent!

Thanks!
Barry

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#72 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2018, 11:45 am

Adam H wrote:How many t-bones, porterhouses would one typically get from the whole shortloin?
Adam, Depends on thickness. Figure on a Porterhouse, 1" is about a pound. On a T-B, 1' is about 3/4pound. Entire loin is about 16 to 18" long. Porterhouse, I would suggest 2" which will serve 2-3 adults heartily. The Porterhoues (filet) gets too small after about half way through the loin.
So on average, you would get 4-5 2" Porterhouse, and about 6 or 7 1" T-Bones. You could also go with Bone in Ny or Boneless Ny instead of T-Bones.
If you decide to try this, I'll reach out to you during the process, and we can drill down into exactly how best to configure for you.
Sorry to be so long winded- feel free to call me directly if any more questions.

Best, Bryan

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#73 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2018, 11:50 am

Nathan L wrote:Can we use the lost aged meat from the 107/109 for a burger grind?...I am trying to form more argument for buying this to my wife!
Nathan, yes, you could absolutely use the trim for burger. I would suggest using all the shortrib meat, add a little of the fat, and add the dry aged ends- would make a killer blend. Just a guess on quantity, maybe 5-6# ? Bryan

Adam H

#74 Post by Adam H » January 27th, 2018, 11:57 am

bryan flannery wrote:
Adam H wrote:How many t-bones, porterhouses would one typically get from the whole shortloin?
Adam, Depends on thickness. Figure on a Porterhouse, 1" is about a pound. On a T-B, 1' is about 3/4pound. Entire loin is about 16 to 18" long. Porterhouse, I would suggest 2" which will serve 2-3 adults heartily. The Porterhoues (filet) gets too small after about half way through the loin.
So on average, you would get 4-5 2" Porterhouse, and about 6 or 7 1" T-Bones. You could also go with Bone in Ny or Boneless Ny instead of T-Bones.
If you decide to try this, I'll reach out to you during the process, and we can drill down into exactly how best to configure for you.
Sorry to be so long winded- feel free to call me directly if any more questions.

Best, Bryan
Thank you for the reply and figure this would be the type of answer. Very helpful! We will be chatting soon, as I did place the order.
Adam Hersly
www.herslywines.com

rjquillin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by rjquillin » January 27th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Brian, how thick are the Saratoga's?
~Ron Q~

bryan flannery
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#76 Post by bryan flannery » January 27th, 2018, 12:17 pm

rjquillin wrote:Brian, how thick are the Saratoga's?
Hi Ron; the mismatched Saratoga Steaks that we have in the Helluva Deal section of our site range from 1.5-2" thick. The thickness will vary slightly because the whole muscle tapers slightly from one end to the next. As such; an 8oz portion cut from the 'fatter' end will be thicker than an 8oz cut from the 'thinner' end.
If you're aiming for a specific weight, drop us a note in the comments section during checkout, and we can do our best to pick the right thickness. -B

rjquillin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by rjquillin » January 27th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Thanks Brian.

We generally sous vide to about 48 to 50C and toss on the grill just to color them up, so thicker is nicer.

Order coming in.
~Ron Q~

Jack Everitt

#78 Post by Jack Everitt » January 27th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Ordered Pave earlier.

Joe Webb

#79 Post by Joe Webb » January 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Order in for 30 and 60 day new yorks and some wagu. I just love doing side by sides with the 30 and 60 just like one would do with wine!
So tempting on the 107/109, maybe next year so much wine to buy... and I want to stay married.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

rick m

#80 Post by rick m » January 27th, 2018, 12:55 pm

placed an order and realized i needed more so had to go back and order more....too bad nothing over 16oz of 60 days was available....
i still have 5 rib roast i order last month in the freezer...running out of space...i'll be using my new big green egg to cook some of these!
ITB
rick matsui

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Anton D » January 27th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Joe Webb wrote:Order in for 30 and 60 day new yorks and some wagu. I just love doing side by sides with the 30 and 60 just like one would do with wine!
So tempting on the 107/109, maybe next year so much wine to buy... and I want to stay married.
I did exactly as you did.

I was trying to figure out a party when a 109 or 107 was ready, but next year I will plan in anticipation.

This would make a great idea to order and then have ready and not have to freeze at Christmas.

Hope you enjoy!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Dan.Gord0n

#82 Post by Dan.Gord0n » January 27th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Just ordered some of each - nice opportunity to reload at a good discount.

Question for Bryan - and a horrible question given my negligence [wow.gif] [wow.gif] ......when we moved a few months ago, I "found" in the back of the freezer one of the NY strips that I ordered during BD2016 so 2+yrs old now....no idea how this could have slipped by my attention but it did unfortunately - is this a loss or can the steaks survive and be edible after being in the freezer for 2+yrs?

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Mike Evans » January 27th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Dan.Gord0n wrote:Just ordered some of each - nice opportunity to reload at a good discount.

Question for Bryan - and a horrible question given my negligence [wow.gif] [wow.gif] ......when we moved a few months ago, I "found" in the back of the freezer one of the NY strips that I ordered during BD2016 so 2+yrs old now....no idea how this could have slipped by my attention but it did unfortunately - is this a loss or can the steaks survive and be edible after being in the freezer for 2+yrs?
I'm not Bryan, but this came up last year:

I said: “I recently had a mismatched ribeye that has been in my freezer since May 2014 and I noticed no decline in quality.”

Bryan Flannery added: “Absolutely no problem to freeze til Super Bowl (could even keep em till Super Bowl 2018). The dry aging process changes the water content in the beef - once dry aged the steaks aren't susceptible to texture variances when frozen/thawed.

I'm in the same camp as Mike Evans - I've pulled steaks out of my freezer that had been in there god knows how long without any flavor/texture issue.”

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Sean_S » January 27th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Bachelor this weekend so 20 minute dinner tonight. Flannery 30 day midwestern strip with veggies and 1999 Burrell School Merlot and 2011 Longplay Lia's in the bottle. Both wines are drinking really well. The 1999 Merlot has been decanting all day. It still has some fruit, but the acid dominates and smooth tannin.

Did Montreal rub on the steak. Blackened on the grill. Fantastic flavor.
IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3941.JPG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG (16.34 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

kevanmah
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by kevanmah » February 1st, 2018, 10:51 am

I forgot to take a picture, but I got my 6 pave cuts yesterday and ate one last night. Wow!

My cooking steps:
1. Salt and peppered the steak, let it come to room temp, while I heated a cast iron up to 500 in the oven.
2. Put the hot cast iron on the burner on high, and I put in a little Ghee (clarified butter, bought from trader joes)
3. Seared all 6 sides (these cuts are so thick that 6 sides is easily achievable) of the steak for about a minute (used my phone's stopwatch)
4. Once I was on the 6th side, put the cast iron back in the oven for about 4 minutes

Result: Amazing crust on each side of the steak, maybe a little too much crust even, the marbled meat melted in my mouth, and had a nice rare->medium rare center

I think on my next pass, I might do 45 seconds or so on each side, and a minute or two longer in the oven to get a little bit of a thinner crust and more tenderness throughout.

The only downside, is this method generates a lot of smoke. Turn your fans up as high as they can, get a nice draft going through your house to prevent those smoke alarms from going off.

Thanks again Flannery!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#86 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 7th, 2018, 12:16 pm

kevanmah wrote:I forgot to take a picture, but I got my 6 pave cuts yesterday and ate one last night. Wow!

My cooking steps:
1. Salt and peppered the steak, let it come to room temp, while I heated a cast iron up to 500 in the oven.
2. Put the hot cast iron on the burner on high, and I put in a little Ghee (clarified butter, bought from trader joes)
3. Seared all 6 sides (these cuts are so thick that 6 sides is easily achievable) of the steak for about a minute (used my phone's stopwatch)
4. Once I was on the 6th side, put the cast iron back in the oven for about 4 minutes

Result: Amazing crust on each side of the steak, maybe a little too much crust even, the marbled meat melted in my mouth, and had a nice rare->medium rare center

I think on my next pass, I might do 45 seconds or so on each side, and a minute or two longer in the oven to get a little bit of a thinner crust and more tenderness throughout.

The only downside, is this method generates a lot of smoke. Turn your fans up as high as they can, get a nice draft going through your house to prevent those smoke alarms from going off.

Thanks again Flannery!
I'd love to try one of these today, but don't want to do the smoke-the-house method - what other method might work? Should I just grill it?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Mark Y » February 7th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Wouldn’t a low oven bake to 200F. Rest then finish on cast iron work? Only a minute or two on cast iron = less smoke?

Experts here?
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
kevanmah wrote:I forgot to take a picture, but I got my 6 pave cuts yesterday and ate one last night. Wow!

My cooking steps:

Thanks again Flannery!
I'd love to try one of these today, but don't want to do the smoke-the-house method - what other method might work? Should I just grill it?
Y.e.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#88 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 7th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Omg

I pan seared each side, finished in the oven, in freakin real good
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#89 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 8th, 2018, 1:39 pm

And now...

The Wagyu Pave steaks are now bacon-wrapped, and on sale

http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/wag ... a766d461bf

kevanmah
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by kevanmah » February 12th, 2018, 1:17 pm

The wagyu pave's are so good, I'm looking to do one of their big rib roasts for a party now.

Has anyone had much luck with these?

I was thinking of doing a big one (5 or 6 ribs) sous-vide, with a quick cast-iron sear in the oven.

Return to “BerserkerDay IX (January 27, 2018 - it was a doozy!)”