2015 Beaujolais TN thread - post notes here

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
DanielP

#51 Post by DanielP » December 15th, 2016, 7:35 am

I'm 0/2 on 2015 beaujolais so far. I tried it in the summer, but the 2015 Clos de la Roilette base bottling was really ripe and lacked acidity or anything really interesting to me.

More recently, last night, I opened up the 2015 Dutraive Fleurie Grand Cour VV. Nose was quite nice, tart red fruit, some perfume and earth which I love in my beaujolais. But on the palate, it lacked the freshness that I seek, and worse, I felt like i was drinking wood. Hopefully the oak will integrate over time, but compared to the 2014 at this time, it's just not close (for my tastes).

I'm beginning to wonder if this vintage is a total write off for me based on what I'm reading here and the few that I've tasted. I might just have to buy 2014s, especially the Tardive and Griffe.
P@ik

Robert Panzer

#52 Post by Robert Panzer » December 19th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Just finished a bottle of Julien Sunier Morgon '15 over three days. (disclaimer, I import his wines)
The first day, it was quite tight and imploded, not givng a lot but hints of violets, moderately dark fruits, very fine in texture, but no easy fat or sucrosité. Followed with a meal over a few hours, and its sense of being compact and dense was the dominant impression, unfolding slowly, but complimenting an array of Mexican dishes quite well.
Day two was WOW different. The florals were beeeautiful both aromatically and in the mouth, like violet pastille. The fruit was also shining more, more dark red fruited than black, very pure and clean. This was downright incredible on day two to my taste.
Day three was like day two, but not as focused (only a third of a bottle, saw more oxygen...) and fresh vibrant. The florals and fruit intensity/purity were still hummin'.
I think Gilman's review is pretty spot on.
This is a packed puppy that will age for a very long time.
It betrays not a sense of solar dominance. Very compact amount of material.....
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Mike Grammer » December 21st, 2016, 10:21 am

Although I normally steer away from these since I'm far from a Gamay fan, the 2015 Clos de la Roilette was served as part of a pairing with a tasting menu evening yesterday. It had bright red fruit at first and a small earthy undercomponent and while I didn't find anything remarkable yesterday, I do believe this is a wine that will show more complexity after some years of aging. My bottle didn't seem to have the overt ripeness you found, Daniel, but I don't know how long it had been oxygenated for.

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by BrianMarshall » December 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm

I opened a 2015 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly last night and was surprised at how large-scaled a wine it was. The nose was mouthwatering and it had a lot of stuffing on the palate. The fruit showed a nice cool, but masculine personality, there was just a ton of it. We'll go back to it tonight and see if it gets leaner after being opened for a day.
CT: WMWG

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » December 31st, 2016, 2:23 pm

BrianMarshall wrote:I opened a 2015 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly last night and was surprised at how large-scaled a wine it was. The nose was mouthwatering and it had a lot of stuffing on the palate. The fruit showed a nice cool, but masculine personality, there was just a ton of it. We'll go back to it tonight and see if it gets leaner after being opened for a day.
Was this the 'basic' cuvée?
Cheers,
Paul

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by BrianMarshall » December 31st, 2016, 3:20 pm

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
BrianMarshall wrote:I opened a 2015 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly last night and was surprised at how large-scaled a wine it was. The nose was mouthwatering and it had a lot of stuffing on the palate. The fruit showed a nice cool, but masculine personality, there was just a ton of it. We'll go back to it tonight and see if it gets leaner after being opened for a day.
Yep

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by AlexS » December 31st, 2016, 4:15 pm

2015 Domaine Dupeuble Beaujolais

As good as the 2014 and potentially even better, fantastic QPR that drinks like a poor man's Thivin.
s t e w @ r t

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 13th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:Well, based upon a sample size of two, the 2015 vintage is much like the 2009. The 2015 Nicole Chanrion Cote-de-Brouilly pours out dark, just like the Thivin. However, I find that the vintage plays better into Chanrion's more rustic, masculine style. What a nose! The strawberry/floral perfume gets up into the nasal passages in a hurry. On the palate, there are oodles of rich, brambly, dark strawberry/cranberry fruit tossed with some bright pine needle action. I find more delineation, freshness and clarity here than with the Thivin, but make no mistake about it, this is full-on, in-your-face Gamay goodness. The 2014 version of this wine is really good but, now, it is for sissies.
Martin -

This 2015 Chanrion is pretty killer! A much larger-scale wine than 2014 or some earlier years, even hitting 13.5%, but wow does it carry it well. Yes, the more masculine, rustic side to Chanrion really balances out the ripeness of the red fruit spectrum.

You sent me, however, the "Voute des Crozes" bottling. I thought I had ordered the basic CdB, which is the only wine of Chanrion that I have had. I'm guessing this is a higher-end cuvee, so thanks! What's the back-story on this bottling? It is seriously good!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Martin Steinley

#59 Post by Martin Steinley » January 13th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Robert, I believe that Nicole Chanrion makes just a single cuvee of her Beaujolais Cote de Brouilly. However, her domaine is known as De la Voute des Crozes. Pleased to know that you liked the wine.
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » January 13th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Hmm, even the label looked different.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

jbray23

#61 Post by jbray23 » January 13th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Purchased my first 15' G. Descombes Morgon... Damn, nose is ripe, but on check with chalk and slate notes underpinning the cherry and ripe berry notes.. There's a little spiciness from the stems that rounds it out. Palate is full but again in check, with rich berry, chalk, dusty tannin and a round note of cherries that carries this through.

I'm not a Bojo purist, I bought heavily into 09' as I love Burgundy but can't afford to drink even village level with all the other regions im trying to keep up with and find these ripe vintages a great replacement for around $20 a bottle. This fits the bill as it ran me $21 with tax and it scratches my burgundy itch.

Delicious and highly recommended for the coin, I think Bojo purists can even get behind this.
Jason, back itb

doug johnson

#62 Post by doug johnson » January 14th, 2017, 3:50 pm

2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/23/2016)
Tastes like overripe bojo to me. Maybe I would have liked it more blind? (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2015 Yvon Métras Beaujolais - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais (1/14/2017)
A little band-aid on the nose but not objectionable to me as the scent is quickly replaced by lifting dark florals and typical bojo smells. My past notes on Metras have always contained language about red fruits and/or tart fruits - nothing tart here and the fruit flavors verge dark. But unlike the '15 Lapierre this does not taste overripe to me: there's plenty of elegance and tension to the structure. Finishes with gobsmacking minerality and bloody, fleshy rawness. Really complex and cerebral drinking. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Michae1 P0wers » January 22nd, 2017, 5:33 am

2015 Jean Marc Burgaud Morgon Cote du Py - This is only my second 2015 Beaujolais, and more "serious" than the first. I can't believe how sweet the fruit is here, almost shockingly so. It has good structure and should improve well with time, but it is always going to be sweet and ripe. I will say that it avoids being cloying somehow, but definitely a ripe cru Beaujolais.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Alan Rath » January 23rd, 2017, 8:07 pm

2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (1/23/2017)
Smell the warmer vintage, not overtly ripe, but definitely lush fruit compote on the nose; dark garnet color, nice intensity of darker fruit, again showing the warmth of the vintage, though not overly ripe, with decent acidity, plenty of fine tannic structure, and some nice flavor complexity. With the somewhat higher ripeness level maybe not as classic as the 14, 13, or 11, but quite enjoyable. Would make a great pizza/bbq wine. (88 pts.)

Follow up the next night: no doubt this is from a warmer year, but it sure is tasty, with a nice dose of fine, chalky tannins. I think this might be durable for quite a few years. Would be an excellent transition wine for someone without a lot of Bojo experience.
Last edited by Alan Rath on January 24th, 2017, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Gene Ferrara

#65 Post by Gene Ferrara » January 24th, 2017, 6:04 am

My impressions of the 15 Coudert VT were similar to Alan's. I enjoyed the regular Coudert Fleurie more for current drinking.

Coudert VT - Dense, sweet and mineral. Its a bit closed though not tannic. I think the reg is more open, this is more concentrated, serious and should improve with a few years in bottle.

Ripe but not overripe. Good, close to what this usually is, just the heat of the year makes this a bit fatter and fruit/sweetness driven.

Coudert Fleurie - Bright, tart cherry, very mineral, white pepper. Ripe year evident but the wine has freshness/energy. Good acids in spine, fuzzy ripe tannin coats the tongue dries it a bit. Finish, long, mineral, cherry cough drop. There is a touch of heat and alcohol behind the vibrant cherry, mineral sweetness but its not obtrusive.

Very enjoyable now.

The only other 15 I have had to date is the Lapierre, which I enjoyed.

Martin Steinley

#66 Post by Martin Steinley » February 9th, 2017, 9:57 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
Paul, are you aware of more than one cuvee? (I know of just one bottling (aside from her sparkler) labelled Domaine de la Voute des Crozes/Cote de Brouilly.)
ITB

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » February 9th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
Paul, are you aware of more than one cuvee? (I know of just one bottling (aside from her sparkler) labelled Domaine de la Voute des Crozes/Cote de Brouilly.)
Doh. I was thinking of Thivin. Must be because the spelling is so close to Chanrion. :o
Cheers,
Paul

danupdike

#68 Post by danupdike » February 11th, 2017, 10:18 am

2015 Justin Dutraive Les Bullands

Done in a semi-carbonic style the wine has savory fresh and racy fruit flavors on entry (cranberry/strawberry) with some overtones of blood orange/"Campari"-ish notes and a touch of funk. Definitely not over-ripe for a '15.
ITB retail sales

Rory K.

#69 Post by Rory K. » February 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Just had a 2015 Laurent Perrachon - Moulin a Vent "Terres Roses" 2015. Delivered 1 week ago.

A deep, dark, blackberry core wrapped in a raspberry reflection. Nose had initial notes of wild strawberry, leading to bay laurel and fresh raspberry jam, and also a moderate barnyard/manure quality, which I like. Nose did shutdown after these initial impressions showing only a bit of heat. Palate is raspberry jam at the moment but with a wonderful freshness that carries through a surprisingly lengthy finish. Definitely shows the opulence of the vintage but with so much excellent acid I am optimistic for the next 5-10 years, but I don't know how I'll forget about these through this summer.

On a separate note this was the first Garagiste purchase in a long time that wasn't of a wine I knew already. But at the price, I was willing to take the risk...on a case. 1/2 a bottle and a Burrrito al pastor later I'm pretty content. 13%abv
K i n n e a r

ITB

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by fred o. » February 25th, 2017, 11:03 am

had a 2015 Chanrion Cote de Brouilly, Domaine de la Voute des Crozes. initially on pop-and-pour, a whiff of sourness/acidity and some farmhouse, wonder if this is what people refer to as Brett? Went away with time and esp with food, the wine still had a good amount of acidity/brightness, but also a lot of cherry/dark fruits, some of the crystalline-sugar candied taste that I get sometimes with Beaujolais, nice mineral tinge, and was surprisingly big on the palate, as noted above. Really nice, esp for the price, $18.98 at wine exchange in the OC.

Martin Steinley

#71 Post by Martin Steinley » February 25th, 2017, 3:35 pm

The 2015 Foillard Morgon Corcelette and Cote du Py arrived in my warehouse yesterday and I grabbed a bottle of each when dashing out the door. Both are a similar, saturated ruby color and show the flesh and density of the vintage. The Corcelette, from sandier soils, is, however, more open and generous at this very early stage. It is more floral on the nose and more generous and broad in the mouth. The Cote du Py has the same florals on the nose, but it is more reticent and mineral/stony. On the palate, the dark red fruit is rich and ample, but it is a tighter, more focused, linear wine than the Corcelette. These are ripe wines and they will have their place, particularly for those who prefer richness and flesh in their Beaujolais. Also, they have plenty of material to go the distance and stretch out to become more lithe, transparent and nuanced.
ITB

JulianD

#72 Post by JulianD » February 25th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:The 2015 Foillard Morgon Corcelette and Cote du Py arrived in my warehouse yesterday and I grabbed a bottle of each when dashing out the door. Both are a similar, saturated ruby color and show the flesh and density of the vintage. The Corcelette, from sandier soils, is, however, more open and generous at this very early stage. It is more floral on the nose and more generous and broad in the mouth. The Cote du Py has the same florals on the nose, but it is more reticent and mineral/stony. On the palate, the dark red fruit is rich and ample, but it is a tighter, more focused, linear wine than the Corcelette. These are ripe wines and they will have their place, particularly for those who prefer richness and flesh in their Beaujolais. Also, they have plenty of material to go the distance and stretch out to become more lithe, transparent and nuanced.
How would you compare to the '14s?
Davies

Martin Steinley

#73 Post by Martin Steinley » February 28th, 2017, 9:16 pm

JulianD wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:The 2015 Foillard Morgon Corcelette and Cote du Py arrived in my warehouse yesterday and I grabbed a bottle of each when dashing out the door. Both are a similar, saturated ruby color and show the flesh and density of the vintage. The Corcelette, from sandier soils, is, however, more open and generous at this very early stage. It is more floral on the nose and more generous and broad in the mouth. The Cote du Py has the same florals on the nose, but it is more reticent and mineral/stony. On the palate, the dark red fruit is rich and ample, but it is a tighter, more focused, linear wine than the Corcelette. These are ripe wines and they will have their place, particularly for those who prefer richness and flesh in their Beaujolais. Also, they have plenty of material to go the distance and stretch out to become more lithe, transparent and nuanced.
How would you compare to the '14s?
Well, for my palate, comparing another Beaujolais vintage to 2014 is hardly fair as it is, across the board, the best that I have ever tasted. For me, 2014 Beaujolais is like 2010 red Burgundy; the wines are fresh and pure, and the balance near perfect. Foillard's 2014s are, to my palate, perfectly ripe and all of the other constituents just as they should be. The 2015s differ in that they are riper. That said, I just finished the remainder of the 2015 Corcelette and Cote du Py (they have been opened but re-corked for three days) and I am enjoying them more than on day one. They will have fans among those who like bigger, chewier Beaujolais and I expect that I, too, will enjoy them a lot in 10-15 years when I expect that the 2014s and 2015s will be more similar than different. I will be cellaring a few cases of each vintage as I do with every Foillard vintage. There are few surer bets for $35.

Disclaimer: I sell them.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#74 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » March 1st, 2017, 5:31 am

Foillard Cote du Py, imho, is a distinctive wine in any vintage, and stands apart from most other cru Beajolais - your pride in carrying them is justified.

Thanks in memorium to Joe Dougherty for introducing me to this vigneron.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#75 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 1st, 2017, 9:39 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:
Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Liking the 2015 Thivin. Not digging it as much as the 2011 or 14; I can see the connection to the 2009, but I think this has a more tart fruit profile and greater acidity. Loving the sour and ripe fruit melange. Missing some of the earthy minerality and high salinity that hooked me on 2011. Fruit over earth at this very youthful stage. Another solid Thivin, and a worthy purchase. Will not complain, and actually appreciate, the vintage variations that Thivin shows.
Bottle number 2. Digging this even more. Really intense fruit for a Beaujolais. AFWE ban me now, I'm hooked. One of the more intense, powerful Beaujolais I recall having in recent memory, but cut with some bracing acidity. A sexy wine. Not every wine needs to be a "thinker".
Just had this the last 2 nights. We drink a LOT of Bojo in this house, several mixed cases worth per year. I've enjoyed some previous vintages considerably more. The 2015 is relatively dark fruited with decent acidity (certainly not searing, then again I'm an acidophile). It's a bit chewy, rich and somewhat blocky..at least compared to lighter more dynamic years. It stays balanced head to toe. I didn't catch much if any secondary nuance. Definitely a fruit forward version. I'm happy it's not one of the uber-ripe 14 - 15% monsters I've heard stories about. For $18 - $24, a solid purchase for weeknight consumption. We'll drink through our 3 bottles with no complaints...but so far, not feeling inspired enough to re-stock.

RT

Rory K.

#76 Post by Rory K. » March 1st, 2017, 7:21 pm

Grabbed two half bottles at Kermit Lynch, a Thivin Cote de Brouilly and the Diochin Moulin-a-vent.

Either my palate or the 2015 Thivin CdB was flawed, or it will need a few years to calm down. I love tart wines but this was unspeakably sour for a couple hours after opening, though it did unwind a bit at that point, and you could practically smell that pink granite and a touch of red fruit. No overripeness in this bottle.

The 2015 Diochin Moulin-a-vent opened with some very ripe lush dark fruit, but after 30min in the glass actually settled back into a leaner profile. Mineral tinged and a bit stemmy, I like this one despite being somewhat, well, blocky as Richard Trimpi called it above. Much more tannin on the finish than the Thivin CdB.
Last edited by Rory K. on March 2nd, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Chris Seiber » March 1st, 2017, 11:35 pm

I had a Thivin CdB tonight, my third bottle of the 2015, and it's really on its game. I do wonder if Rory had an off bottle, because none of them were especially tart for Bojo, much less sour. To the contrary, I could see it being maybe a little big and bold for the Bojo purist type (of which I am not really one, I just like delicious wine).

Really a wine that would outperform not just many wines twice its price, but many really good wines twice its price.

Rory K.

#78 Post by Rory K. » March 2nd, 2017, 8:08 am

Chris Seiber wrote:I had a Thivin CdB tonight, my third bottle of the 2015, and it's really on its game. I do wonder if Rory had an off bottle, because none of them were especially tart for Bojo, much less sour. To the contrary, I could see it being maybe a little big and bold for the Bojo purist type (of which I am not really one, I just like delicious wine).

Really a wine that would outperform not just many wines twice its price, but many really good wines twice its price.
So glad to hear it, I'll give it another go.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Bill Moore

#79 Post by Bill Moore » March 2nd, 2017, 8:38 am

It's interesting to compare this thread, where the reactions to 2015 are so uneven, with the 2014 thread, where the love is near-universal (and rightly so). I do think you really need to pick your spots in this vintage. Some of my normally reliable producers really struggled to craft balanced wines while others (Thivin, Lapierre, Sunier) captured the darker, bolder fruit of the vintage without losing freshness.

I'm eager to read more notes on the Foillard lineup (thanks for the early look, Martin).
CT handle: Billigan

Kevin Kitagawa

#80 Post by Kevin Kitagawa » March 10th, 2017, 10:57 am

I'm not sure I've ever read notes on two wines that I agreed with more..spot on...

IlkkaL

#81 Post by IlkkaL » March 10th, 2017, 11:16 pm

I have only had one 2015 Bojo so far, the Lapierre Morgon in magnum format (no idea if it was the S or the N version, although this was in France so perhaps the sans soufre). A very drinkable wine as it tends to be but certainly a lot riper than I would prefer with I believe an ABV of 13,5 %, which I think is on the high side for this style.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by BrianMarshall » March 11th, 2017, 4:55 am

IlkkaL wrote:I have only had one 2015 Bojo so far, the Lapierre Morgon in magnum format (no idea if it was the S or the N version, although this was in France so perhaps the sans soufre). A very drinkable wine as it tends to be but certainly a lot riper than I would prefer with I believe an ABV of 13,5 %, which I think is on the high side for this style.
I had the same reaction RE abv. The 15 is definitely plusher than other vintages of this that I've tried.

G. Shields

#83 Post by G. Shields » March 15th, 2017, 8:15 am

First time trying this producer, thought I'ld post brief note. Apparently he learnt his craft working at Guy Breton and has in the past used vines owned by Jules Chauvet, which suggests he follows a 'natural' style, but you would not have necessarily picked that out from this wine.

2015 Karim Vionnet Chenas: True to the vintage, dark, concentrated purple colour. Initially maybe a hint of VA but this disappeared with about 10 min air. Nose of warm, ripe dark fruits, a touch of something earthy and rustic in the background adding a bit of interest but if served blind I might struggle to call as gamay. On the palate lots of ripe fruit, plenty of chew with slightly rough tannins and a bit of alcohol heat. But a great line of freshness keeping this in check and finishes with an interesting tangerine note.

Overall, really enjoyable to try a new producer, but again underscores my preference for more classic Beaujolais vintages: even though this did manage to stay fresh and lively I miss that tangy red fruit and brightness of flavour from my favorite 2014s or the rocky austerity of the 2013s.
Gawain Lagnado

Instagram: gl_rhone

DanielP

#84 Post by DanielP » May 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm

I've bashed the 2015 Beaujolais that I've tried thus far, and here are my thoughts on the 2015 Coudert Roilette Tardive. Certainly a very dark fruited characteristic on the nose, and I get some impressions of oak. Honestly, this tastes more like a Griffe than a Tardive and I don't think that's such a bad thing. On the palate, I certainly get that dark fruit, some oak, but it's all in balance with the acidity. Some pepper as well. This is pretty good! A huge difference from the base Roilette bottling, which I found quite poor from two different bottles.
P@ik

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 21st, 2017, 8:07 pm

The dupre 1935 wasn't drinking badly yesterday!

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Steve Brickley » May 22nd, 2017, 9:57 pm

IMG_6349.JPG
IMG_6349.JPG (16.22 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
I had the 2015 Metras Fleurie and what a wine it is. Not much on the snout but the body of this is not a bit jammy or alcohol rich as other 15's can be. This is closer to 2009 or 2014 in general characteristics. This isn't particularly light for a Fleurie either. Instead a full palate of gamay fruit with no noticeable sweetness, yet lively and dark fruits and a mild acid bite. This has the makings of a drink it or hold it wine with good outcomes either way. It took everything to not tip that whole bottle into my glass last night. Added a magnum and two more 750's to the inventory.
Steve

Arv R

#87 Post by Arv R » July 7th, 2017, 10:21 am

I'm enjoying a 2015 Jean Loron [Beaujolais] with roti and red Leicester cheese right now. It's a chewier, bigger Beaujolais than I'm used to, but I love the depth, the candy here. It's 13% abv and a great summer chilled sipper. I'm not familiar with the producer but it seems like they are a Chenas based negociant who've been around since the 1700's or so. Nose is bubblegum, bananas. Palate is red berries - raspberries and ripe strawberries. I think WB's might cast stones since its commercially/popularly styled....but it works well for me. I'd give it a B for quality, but I'd reload, since its a useful refresher.
R_@_0

Jonathan H

#88 Post by Jonathan H » July 7th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Do you guys typically age bojo? or do you crush them young? Im never able to resist drinking all my bottles when they're young. Is aged Beaujolais better? or just different?
- H@ll

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 7th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Different. Better is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer most wines mature, except Beaujolais and Kabinett. I do age some, in particular the Roilette, but most are so damn tasty in their youth and mid-life.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Alan Rath » September 20th, 2017, 7:50 pm

2015 Jean-Louis Dutraive (Domaine de la Grand'Cour) Fleurie Clos de la Grand'Cour - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/20/2017)
Medium dark ruby color, starts with a slightly ripe crushed strawberry/raspberry nose; reflects the warmer 15 vintage, with that same strawberry/raspberry fruit, a bit on the riper end of the spectrum, just enough moderate acidity for balance, overall a bit simple and lacking in interest or complexity. Pleasant, gluggable, but unprofound. (87 pts.)
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#91 Post by Richard T r i m p i » November 28th, 2017, 9:55 am

The vintage ripeness has scared me off of many of my usual Bojo forays. Last night I pulled: 2015 Jean Paul Thevenet Morgon VV.

Listed 14% abv. Dark fruit is at the forefront and dominates throughout with much more blackberry and plum than red fruit. Not pruney. It actually started with a touch of light spritz that blew off quickly. Not hot....but it is "heady", for this bottling. Relatively dense and well integrated. Clearly a riper more lifted style than my preference. Decent acidity and quite drinkable, just not as pleasurable as my experiences with less ripe JP Thevenet vintages.

RT

Martin Steinley

#92 Post by Martin Steinley » November 29th, 2017, 8:40 am

I don't believe that I have encountered a clearer and more consistent "vintage stamp" than that of the 2015 Beaujolais. They are dark and ripe, and some way too much so for my palate. I expect that some will stretch out with time and show more definition and nuance (such as Foillard), but I don't find much of interest right now. Of all of those that I have tasted, Chanrion seems to have managed the ripeness best. I understand that some 2015 Beaujolais reached 17% ABV. Yikes!
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 29th, 2017, 8:51 am

That Chanrion you sent me was pretty killer. I have also really enjoyed the Chignard, Roilette and Thivin.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by P Intag » November 29th, 2017, 1:10 pm

My favorite of the 2015s that I've tried so far has been the Chignard Juliénas Beauvernay followed by the Chanrion.

Here are some of my notes on a variety of 2015s:
  • 2015 Stephane Aviron Morgon Côte du Py Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/4/2017)
    Was somewhat concerned after I pulled the capsule off and found some wine residue and some mold on the top of the cork. Pulling the cork revealed that it was stained all the way to the top - it had leaked at some point, but must have stopped somewhere along the line. In any case, the wine tasted fine, despite the cork issues. The ripe vintage is on display here, but in a good way, with more of a savory tone than a jammy or roasted one. Really very nice and I enjoyed it. This producer seems to never disappoint. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Stephane Aviron Chénas Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Chénas (11/8/2017)
    Tasted over 2 days - consistent throughout. Ripe vintage is on display here, ripe with a lot of richness - in a good way. Lots of the Gamay "banana" on display here. Drinking very well from the pop 'n pour. Very high quality red for $15. I slightly preferred the 2015 Morgon from Aviron that I tried a few days ago, but this is worthy of repurchase as well. (88 pts.)
  • 2015 Chanrion Côte de Brouilly Domaine de la Voute des Crozes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (3/24/2017)
    Pretty much agree with everything VINNUT writes in his recent note. This cuvee is usually on the more rustic side in normal vintages - not so in this ripe 2015 vintage, which suits it well. (90 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Chignard Juliénas Beauvernay - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Juliénas (2/18/2017)
    Very attractive young Bojo. I've not had many 2015s yet (Dupeuble villages, Aufranc Chenas, Dubœuf Brouilly, and Lapierre Morgon) - this showed more like the Dubœuf which was more feminine and not as burly and large-scaled as the others, though this was better than the Dubœuf. Lots of lovely fruit, well-balanced, velvety mouthfeel, and with intriguing flavor profile of ripe Gamay with some mineral and iron elements on the finish. My only criticism would be weak aromatics at this stage. Wonderful wine. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Dupeuble Pere et Fils Beaujolais - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais (1/16/2017)
    Just a bruiser of a Beaujolais. Loads of varietal correct gamay with coffee grounds and coarse mouthfeel. Kind of wound up but still very forward. Not really sure what to think at this point - I didn't love it, but I can see this improving as it sheds its baby fat in a year or two.
  • 2015 Domaine Pascal Aufranc Chénas en Rémont - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Chénas (12/11/2016)
    Not sure what to make of these 2015s Bojos. This wine was very similar to the Depeuble village bottle I tried from a couple of weeks ago. Many of the same characteristics; coarse tannins, coffee grounds, loads of ripe fruit (but not what I'd call overripe) with some earthy notes. Really a burly, muscular Bojo, with structure. I'm thinking this could be a vintage to age. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Georges Dubœuf Brouilly Château de Nervers - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Brouilly (12/2/2016)
    I've never encountered a wine that has very good weight and depth but weak concentration. I would not have thought it possible. But that's how I would describe this wine. The flavor profile is actually very attractive but in the end, I always seem to be disappointed in Dubœuf wines. (87 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Dupeuble Pere et Fils Beaujolais - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais (11/26/2016)
    Lots of earthy fruit in a burly package, with very coarse tannins. Tons of fruit and structure. A strong coffee ground feel to it. Good vintage for this wine. 2015 Bojo is shaping up to be a good vintage for lesser wines, I think. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/24/2016)
    I'm leaning toward DIGGYDAN's note below about this being overripe Bojo. This wine's all about forward, ripe, sweet fruit and has little of the elegance that I usually associate with this wine. Still, it did go very well with the bird at Thanksgiving dinner, but I'm not going to go out and purchase any more bottles. Laying this one down and letting the exuberant, youthful fruit settle down may help this, but I wouldn't count on it. (89 pts.)
Paul

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by AlexS » November 29th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I had a 2015 Lapierre a few weeks ago, was not drinking in a good place...at all. Otoh, 2015 Thivin is still just amazing.
s t e w @ r t

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Nate Simon » November 30th, 2017, 4:43 am

The 2015 Diochon Vieiles Vignes has great cranberry and rhubarb character, and lots of structure (fine tannins). I'd wait a few years to open another one.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » November 30th, 2017, 1:17 pm

I have a couple of Beaujolais newbie questions...

1. Do these wines actually get better with age, or just different?

2. I noticed with the last bottle of '15 I had that the nose was spectacular and almost sweet, but the finish was a bit tart. Is this typical?

Thanks!

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Scott Watkins » November 30th, 2017, 8:03 pm

2015 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette might be the ripest Beaujolais I have ever had but man the fruit is delicious! I don't have enough experience to know how long this will hold up but I will put a few away.
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Martin Steinley

#99 Post by Martin Steinley » November 30th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:2015 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette might be the ripest Beaujolais I have ever had but man the fruit is delicious! I don't have enough experience to know how long this will hold up but I will put a few away.
A long time if stored cool.

Tonight, I had among the best 2015s that I have tasted, the Terres Dorees Moulin a Vent. I never would have guessed 2015. The fruit is ripe but still crunchy, and it is cool, clean and fresh. I expect that it will make for good drinking now, in 15 years, and in between.
ITB

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Scott Watkins » December 1st, 2017, 12:32 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
Scott Watkins wrote:2015 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette might be the ripest Beaujolais I have ever had but man the fruit is delicious! I don't have enough experience to know how long this will hold up but I will put a few away.
A long time if stored cool.

Tonight, I had among the best 2015s that I have tasted, the Terres Dorees Moulin a Vent. I never would have guessed 2015. The fruit is ripe but still crunchy, and it is cool, clean and fresh. I expect that it will make for good drinking now, in 15 years, and in between.
Thanks Martin, I will pick up a few of the Terres Dorees to try!
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Return to “Wine Talk”