BYO

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Amsterdam

#51 Post by Michael Bowden » March 6th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Jack Bulkin wrote:
M. M c C a l l wrote:My husband and I brought some nice bottles of wine to Amsterdam for our anniversary in 2008, but we hadn't done our homework. Not only do most restaurants there not have a corkage policy, but the smaller places (including all the wonderful cafes and trattorias in residential areas) seem offended by the concept. Even the staff at De Gouden Ton, a fantastic wine shop in Oud Zuid, were only able to name a single restaurant in Amsterdam with an official corkage policy.

If anyone else has found BYO-friendly restaurants in Amsterdam, I'd love to hear about it. We've been there twice in the past two years, and plan to return as often as possible.
I have been to Amsterdam several times Melissa. I love the City but the food and wine lists in the restaurants are on the average below normal. When I asked several soms about BYO's my last visit in 2001, I was advised to make friends with some locals with fine cellars.
Europe in general (from my previous experiences) is not very favorable to BYO...that concept doesn't really exist.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Paul L i n

Re: BYO

#52 Post by Paul L i n » March 11th, 2010, 11:13 pm

The Bungalow now has free corkage Monday through Wednesday. Bring a date and one dinner is half off. http://bit.ly/cOsgNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Umm, may I make the request of separating all these BYO places by city? Having all these lists and updates on one thread is getting kind of ridiculous.

Ron Kramer

#53 Post by Ron Kramer » April 5th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Paul L i n wrote:The Bungalow now has free corkage Monday through Wednesday. Bring a date and one dinner is half off. http://bit.ly/cOsgNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Umm, may I make the request of separating all these BYO places by city? Having all these lists and updates on one thread is getting kind of ridiculous.

+100

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Steve Manzi » April 5th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Ron Kramer wrote:
Paul L i n wrote:The Bungalow now has free corkage Monday through Wednesday. Bring a date and one dinner is half off. http://bit.ly/cOsgNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+100
I made that suggestion many many months ago.

It should list just by the city, OR region, or like this:

CA, San Diego

NJ, Newark

Tx, Dallas

Etc

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Doug Schulman » April 6th, 2010, 10:28 am

illegal in Maine if the place has a liquor license, but there are some good places that don't have a license and do encourage byo. Miyake in Portland is the best -- fusion sushi
ITB - retail sales and education

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by zachary l a n g » June 7th, 2010, 1:24 pm

BYO now has it's own section on WineBerserkers:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewforum.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robert Johnston

#57 Post by Robert Johnston » July 22nd, 2010, 12:13 pm

Question. I'm going to Italy in October to celebrate my 25th anniversary and I have a bottle of 1985 vintage port that my wife gave me on our 3rd anniversary. I've been saving it for this one. Is BYO permissible in Italy? Specifically, we will be dining at Castillo Banfi for our anniversary, so I guess I answered my own question, contact them.

krehberg

#58 Post by krehberg » August 30th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Ron Kramer wrote:

+100

CA, San Diego

NJ, Newark

Tx, Dallas

Etc

Like that's useful. I wouldn't be caught dead in either of those cities!!!
Κένιπ

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Steve Manzi » August 31st, 2010, 7:52 am

krehberg wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
Ron Kramer wrote:
+100

CA, San Diego

NJ, Newark

Tx, Dallas

Etc

Like that's useful. I wouldn't be caught dead in either of those cities!!!
You ok Kevin? You are not making any sense at all. Please elaborate. IF you don't like ANY of those cities (either, would be talking about two), then it would be useful, since you could then find cities that you ARE interested in.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Victor Hong

#60 Post by Victor Hong » November 5th, 2010, 11:55 am

Any BYOW places in Miami Beach? Thanks.
WineHunter.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Steve Manzi » November 5th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Victor Hong wrote:Any BYOW places in Miami Beach?
Yes

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Dan Hammer » January 16th, 2011, 6:29 pm

FYI on Mortons.

They use to wave corkage for VIP members. I just called to confirm this, and that deal is no more. [swearing.gif] Now VIP members have to pay up.
This space for rent.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Paul Jaouen » January 17th, 2011, 5:31 am

Dan, I don't think that is true.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Dan Hammer » January 19th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Paul Jaouen wrote:Dan, I don't think that is true.
Earlier today, Mortons told me no more cork waving for VIP's. I cancelled my reservation.
If I'm going to pay, might as well be at a better place. [snort.gif]
This space for rent.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Morton BYO - VIP

#65 Post by Dan Hammer » March 6th, 2011, 6:34 am

Dan Hammer wrote:FYI on Mortons.

They use to wave corkage for VIP members. I just called to confirm this, and that deal is no more. [swearing.gif] Now VIP members have to pay up.
We went to Mortons on 45th street in NYC for dinner last night. The manager told me that they still waive corkage for members of their VIP program. He said whoever told me that at corporate didn't know what they were talking about. VIP members also get after dinner drinks for their entire party. So in spite of the fact that ths steak had more fat than toro, all is forgiven.

Our reservation was blind (made on Open Table). Mortons still knew all about me. They even wished me Happy Birthday. [whistle.gif]
This space for rent.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 6th, 2011, 9:24 am

Dan, I wasn't going to argue with you but I knew from experience that it wasn't true. Although I don't think we ever got an after dinner drink....not that we would want one with the amount of wine we usually consume.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Robert Johnston

#67 Post by Robert Johnston » September 13th, 2011, 5:33 am

Steve Manzi wrote:This is just nuts that this thread doesn't get more posts. So I thought I would put this in to revive it a little. Also, I really do believe that it should be set up with a seperate forum and list the BYOs by State and city.

This site was on some other site, that I take a look at once in a while. [rolleyes.gif]

http://www.gobyo.com

Looks like a pretty cool site.
I've posted this link on other sites and I'll say here what I said there, check first. Many of the places I've seen on this site are just incorrect. For example, they list several restaurants in Montgomery County MD, where corkage is strictly forbidden and the restaurants are not even permitted to sell you a wine that was not purchased thru the county store (which is the only legal wholesaler in the county) That said, it is a useful site if you do your homework and check with the restaurant before going.

Robert Johnston

#68 Post by Robert Johnston » May 30th, 2012, 10:47 am

Maryland finally passed a BYO law. It takes effect on July 1, 2012. Complicated but not overly so. However, they do require that the restaurant charge tax on the corkage fee. Also written into the law that you cannot bring something that is on the restaurant's wine list.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in Montgomery County where the local ABC board has ruled with an iron fist.

Scott McArthur

#69 Post by Scott McArthur » June 5th, 2012, 2:23 am

For those travelling to Toronto http://www.corkagetoronto.com/
Cheers,
Scott

RLPlummer

#70 Post by RLPlummer » August 22nd, 2012, 10:28 am

This is awesome.....I totally forget that you can BYO! I am going to start asking!

Robert Johnston

#71 Post by Robert Johnston » April 3rd, 2013, 11:05 am

Robert Johnston wrote:Maryland finally passed a BYO law. It takes effect on July 1, 2012. Complicated but not overly so. However, they do require that the restaurant charge tax on the corkage fee. Also written into the law that you cannot bring something that is on the restaurant's wine list.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in Montgomery County where the local ABC board has ruled with an iron fist.
The state got smart. It requires the ABC board to approve an application for a BYO for any restaurant with an alcohol license. And at no charge. Next year it will be part of the renewal process for licenses. You can find the approved restaurants in Montgomery County at the following:

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/cont ... orkage.pdf

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Amsterdam

#72 Post by Blake Brown » April 3rd, 2013, 7:57 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
Jack Bulkin wrote:
M. M c C a l l wrote:My husband and I brought some nice bottles of wine to Amsterdam for our anniversary in 2008, but we hadn't done our homework. Not only do most restaurants there not have a corkage policy, but the smaller places (including all the wonderful cafes and trattorias in residential areas) seem offended by the concept. Even the staff at De Gouden Ton, a fantastic wine shop in Oud Zuid, were only able to name a single restaurant in Amsterdam with an official corkage policy.

If anyone else has found BYO-friendly restaurants in Amsterdam, I'd love to hear about it. We've been there twice in the past two years, and plan to return as often as possible.
I have been to Amsterdam several times Melissa. I love the City but the food and wine lists in the restaurants are on the average below normal. When I asked several soms about BYO's my last visit in 2001, I was advised to make friends with some locals with fine cellars.
Europe in general (from my previous experiences) is not very favorable to BYO...that concept doesn't really exist.
We go to Amsterdam annually and have established relationships with a few of our more favorite restaurants who have relented to allow us to bring our own wine. I do not flaunt it or present the bottle in such a way as to attract attention from other diners. Obviously, the wines I take are not on their wine list and in fact, usually greatly exceed anything they have e.g. MV Krug, vintage Champagnes, Grand Cru red Burgundy, Guigal La Las and the like.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

BYO

#73 Post by Blake Brown » April 3rd, 2013, 8:06 pm

In Santa Barbara, all restaurants allow for BYO with varying degrees of corkage fees ranging from $10 - $35 for the better restaurants. Some have the bring one and buy one policy and waive the corkage in this instance. Some have a 2 bottle maximum [750 ml].

In a few instances, I have been privileged to be comped on any and all wines taken and I`m talking as much as 12-15 bottles on a few occasions. I tip heavily under table in addition to the 25%+ on the total bill.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

RandyH

BYO

#74 Post by RandyH » March 28th, 2015, 5:34 am

Heading to Santa Fe. Anyone know if Martins has a policy?
Randy Hart
Cleveland, OH

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

BYO

#75 Post by John Davis » April 6th, 2015, 11:06 am

RandyH wrote:Heading to Santa Fe. Anyone know if Martins has a policy?
I'd love to see the answer. My understanding is that NM does not allow BYO. We are going next month.

JD
ITB

dkwinter

BYO

#76 Post by dkwinter » June 22nd, 2017, 12:21 pm

Thanks for starting this!!
davidkwinter

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”