Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Corey N.

#1 Post by Corey N. » January 11th, 2017, 7:56 am

Has anyone been popping any BerserkerDay wines? With the holiday approaching, I've been trying to make an effort to open some wines produced by past, and hopefully future, BerserkerDay participants. The posting of any other recent notes would be very much appreciated.
  • 2014 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Alderpoint Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/9/2017)
    Cherry red colored with aromas of cherry, strawberry, red currants and baking spice.

The palate displays tart red fruit flavors that with abundant spice and some forest floor with a dash of baking soda and lemon rind present on the finish. There's a great balance between the fruit and savory elements and good acidic lift to keep things fresh. Good concentration and sneaky tannins that suggest aging potential.

At 12.7%abv, I could drink this all day long. 98 cases produced. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Longplay Pinot Noir Experience Lia's Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (1/4/2017)
    Ripe raspberry fruit wrapped around a core of black licorice with some baking powder. There's a faint tart note on the slightly clipped finish. Good acidity, should easily last through the end of the decade.

14.1%abv. 312 (hey that's my area code!) cases produced.
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Viognier Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (1/2/2017)
    Pours a very pale yellow with the scent of white flowers leaping from the glass. The palate reveals white flowers overlayed on yellow fruits with an undercurrent of minerals. There's a good dose of acidity going on which keeps the wine feeling very fresh and light. This is flowers and acid, acid and flowers -- a really nice change of pace.

Made from organic grapes, 13.8% abv, 22 cases made(!) -- I believe that some of the grapes go into the Ishi Pishi Ranch Syrah. (90 pts.)
  • 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/1/2017)
    The nose and palate are dominated by an abundance of spice and red fruits with some forest floor notes hidden in the background. Very good acidity; the tannins are perceptible, but mild. Drinks younger than it's age. Nonetheless this is squarely in its drinking window; should drink well through 2030.
  • 2014 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/30/2016)
    Vibrant color of magenta with a nose of iodine, smoked meat enveloping purple berries.

Red and purple fruits fruits with iodine, smoked meat, black pepper, violets and a hint of dill. Medium+ bodied with good concentration and acidity. Slightly gritty tannins with a long finish. Good complexity and distinctive, drinks young. I followed over 3 days. On day two the wine smoothed out and had a more appealing texture and the faint dill note was gone. On day three the smoked meat note disappeared; thankfully the beguiling iodine note remained.

I drank this side by side with the Dark Horse Ranch and preferred this wine by a hair. Whil drinkable now, I believe this wine should drink well for a decade or more. This is Briceland's first Syrah from Humboldt County and is cofermented with 4% Viognier. Made from organic grapes. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Dark Horse Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (12/30/2016)
    Garnet/purple color with a nose of sweet red and purple fruit, like confectioner's sugar had been poured over ripe berries, with some leather and forest floor in the background.

Smooth with less tannic structure than the Ishi Pishi Syrah of the same year and perhaps a touch more acid. Juicy red and purple fruits, forest floor and a squeeze of lemon on the finish, which provides a nice bit of brightness. The sweetness of the nose does not translate to the palate, there's a nice savoriness here. Finishes medium. More immediately approachable than the 2014 Ishi Pish Ranch.

13.1% abv, 123 cases made. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Nash Mill Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/20/2016)
    The nose is dominated by spice while the plate is equal parts bing cherry and spice with a forest floor component that comes to the fore on the finish. The fruit is just a bit sour and the acid is plentiful. The flavors are unmistakably Anderson Valley.

There's a good deal of sediment considering the age of the wine; pour carefully. 14.1% abv. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/17/2016)
    Red fruits, spice and white flowers on the nose. On the palate, red fruits and spice abounds. There's also streak of minerality and a faint licorice component. High acid with mild tannins; there's enough structure and stuffing that it should drink well 10-12 years from vintage. Tasty now but should improve with short term aging. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (12/16/2016)
    Red fruits and flowers on the nose. Flavors of spicy red fruit enveloping a black fruit core with a mineral spine. There's a good dose of acidity that keeps thing feeling fresh. At once concentrated and elegant; delicious now, but built to age. Low alcohol to boot (12.8% abv). Love this.

Like all Matello/Goodfellow wines, extended aeration is recommended. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Briceland Vineyards Gewürztraminer Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (12/12/2016)
    Immediately on pouring the wine, the room was filled with the scent of white and purple flowers. Some swirling yields a nice spice component and yellow fruits.

The palate is similarly dominated by floral notes, which are overlaid on a canvas of tropical fruits; guava, lychee, peach and mineral notes are distinctly noted on the long finish. Very nice acidity makes this a great food wine, but it was also delicious on its own. An elegant take on the grape. 13.3%abv and completely dry and completely delicious.

Note: a small amount remained in the bottle and was corked and refrigerated for 8 days; the wine still in very good shape. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Zenith Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (12/12/2016)
    Red fruits, cinnamon and cardamom spice and flowers on the nose.

Flavors of tart/sappy red fruits (strawberry, cherry) with cinnamon/cardamom and a pronounced green note; think forrest floor. Plenty of juicy acidity and the tannins, while noticeable, are in the background. In a good spot; should drink well for another 5 years or more.
Posted from CellarTracker

--

A bit OT: I tend to prefer lower alcohol wines. Lack of a score doesn't mean anything other than that I didn't feel like scoring.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Charlie Carnes » January 11th, 2017, 2:10 pm

It seems to be about half of the wine I drink. Vincent, Biggio Hamina, Briceland, in droves!

A bit OT: I tend to prefer lower alcohol wines. Agree with this!!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Corey N.

#3 Post by Corey N. » January 11th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Funny you say that Charlie, it reminds me that I want to pull a Vincent -- it's been far too long since my last. I guess our tastes overlap!

Nøv¡¢k

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by PeterH » January 11th, 2017, 3:28 pm

I have six of those wines in my cellar, all of them ones you noted as having a long future ahead. That's why I haven't opened them yet, but I'm always pleased to see tasting notes telling me how the wines are developing.

P Hickner
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Dave H. » January 11th, 2017, 3:43 pm

I had the 2013 Loring Rosella's Pinot Noir last weekend. No notes or anything but I thought it was fantastic. On the richer, riper side of the spectrum but never coming off as candied or sweet and even borderline refreshing. I really thought it was standout California Pinot and will way be in on anything they offer.
Hendrik

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Scott Brunson » January 11th, 2017, 4:58 pm

We did Franny Beck PN and 05 Arcadian Purisma Syrah at dinner for out of town guests on Sunday.
Both were quite good. If you like Vincent you might want to give the FB a try.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » January 11th, 2017, 5:01 pm

I need to try Franny Beck! Thanks for the reminder.

I really enjoyed my purchases from Cowan and Harrington last year. Definitely looking to do some fresh damage on this year's BerserkerDay. Can't wait!
Vincent - ITB

TKMcWilliamsII
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by TKMcWilliamsII » January 11th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Will also jump in with some love to the LWC Rosella's and Franny Beck. Really enjoyed both as very different expressions of the PN spectrum.

For sure getting my hands on a case+ of Vincent's wines. Ordered my first 6 mixed (chard, Pinot, fanatic) a couple of months ago and we really enjoyed them (so much so that we ran through them already!). My fiancée gave me the full go ahead to pick up more :)
Tim

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by dsGriswold » January 11th, 2017, 5:29 pm

I drink most of the OR BD wines and buy locally. Not necessarily on BD, but regular buys, Longplay is a BD intro, Random Wine was delivered to a CT/B offline a few days back so will be giving them a try.
DennisG

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brandon J. » January 11th, 2017, 6:18 pm

We are on our last bottle of Ladd Cellars, we have 2 bottles left of Briceland and we're completely out of Longplay.

I'm prepared to do some damage this year. I've been squirreling away money dedicated for this event.

I wrote down the two places Vincent suggested, I'm not familiar with either of them and that's what was so cool about this day.

Briceland was a real shocker for me. Very hands off winemaking yet Andrew's bottlings are still a great expression of the grape and the sites. I am fortunate enough to be able to go bug Vincent and Todd locally but I still plan on grabbing from both of them again because we love their wines too.

Ladd cellars was a great expression of California, well made, moderate alcohol and great balance. Really looking forward to discovering new winemakers!
John sen

Eric Sch

#11 Post by Eric Sch » January 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Drank a bottle of 13 Vincent Armstrong a few days back, with the handwritten label. No formal notes but as always a really nice bottle and stellar QPR.

And to make room for upcoming BD, last Sunday we cooked a 16oz Berserker 60 day ribeye. It was a day of snow and ice outside so the steak was perfect. Paired it with a 2010 Rasa QED. Stellar! Can't wait to order some more.
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Andrew Morris

#12 Post by Andrew Morris » January 11th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Brandon J. wrote:We are on our last bottle of Ladd Cellars, we have 2 bottles left of Briceland and we're completely out of Longplay.

I'm prepared to do some damage this year. I've been squirreling away money dedicated for this event.

I wrote down the two places Vincent suggested, I'm not familiar with either of them and that's what was so cool about this day.

Briceland was a real shocker for me. Very hands off winemaking yet Andrew's bottlings are still a great expression of the grape and the sites. I am fortunate enough to be able to go bug Vincent and Todd locally but I still plan on grabbing from both of them again because we love their wines too.

Ladd cellars was a great expression of California, well made, moderate alcohol and great balance. Really looking forward to discovering new winemakers!
Thanks Corey, Charlie and Brandon for the mentions, reviews and comments. I look forward to a big Berserker Day. champagne.gif
Andrew Morris

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by JPWilley » January 12th, 2017, 5:49 am

My two favorites that were new to me from last year were:
1) Florida Jim's Cowan Cellars whites, especially the Isa. Having known him electronically back to the eGullet days, I feel really guilty having waited this long to taste his wines
2) Larry's Tercero reds. Stunningly good stuff.
Skewing old
Joe

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Bdklein » January 12th, 2017, 5:55 am

Looking for some Rose's for the summer. Any suggestions based on past years?
Bruce Klein

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Er€z _ L. » January 12th, 2017, 7:19 am

Bdklein wrote:Looking for some Rose's for the summer. Any suggestions based on past years?
for me, virage rose- hit every time (voted with the wallet, and I believe we opened about 2 cases over the years
(CT is my friend, actually abit more).
£ € n c n @ r

Corey N.

#16 Post by Corey N. » January 12th, 2017, 7:24 am

I was thinking that this would be more about recent tasting notes (oh well) but another plug for Cowan Cellars. I haven't tasted any recently because the 6-pack I ordered was demolished in record time. I daresay, Jim makes incredibly gulpable wines (and I mean that in the nicest way possible).

Nøv¡¢k

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Bdklein » January 12th, 2017, 7:58 am

Er€z _ L. wrote:
Bdklein wrote:Looking for some Rose's for the summer. Any suggestions based on past years?
for me, virage rose- hit every time (voted with the wallet, and I believe we opened about 2 cases over the years
(CT is my friend, actually abit more).
Thx-hopefully they will have an offer this year that works for me.
Bruce Klein

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by brigcampbell » January 12th, 2017, 7:59 am

Here's a bunch from the last few months
  • 2011 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Nash Mill Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/6/2017)
    Quite the different experience from Loren, whom I respect and assume had a tainted bottle. This was a great wine. Ruby colored and quite clear, no cloudiness. Dried moss, and ripe cherry nose with some light spice. Palate was a real pleasure with tart cherry, cedar wood chips and strawberry preserve. Medium plus acidity and soft tannins have a gentle mouthfeel. Great balance of oak, just enough poking through. Very long finish. This opened up with air over the course of an hour.
  • 2010 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Moore Ranch Vineyard Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/30/2016)
    Didnt get around to tasting this until it had been opened for 24 hours already. Smokey ripe cherry thing going on, really good, with a tart berry backbone. Some toasted oak showing at the finish. Still broad shoulders on this wine, good structure. Paired with a nice chicken parmasan lasagna.
  • 2011 Sojourn Pinot Noir Sangiacomo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/27/2016)
    Last of my 2011 from Sojourn, a real strong vintage from them. I enjoyed the Gap, Ridgetop, and the Sangicomo.

Still fairly dark garnet, no signs of bricking. Nose is ripe red fruit and baking spice. It's a flavorful wine, ripe strawberries and cherry with whittled sandalwood. Probably one of the riper wines from this vintage. Tiny tannins are still prevalent leading me to believe there's no rush to drink. This was fun.
  • 2008 Tercero Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (12/26/2016)
    Dark blackberry and lots of chalky foundation. So good and so much ahead.
  • 2008 Tercero Cuvée Loco Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (12/25/2016)
    My goodness, this hasn't budged in 4 1/2 years. It's as fresh and lively as the day it was bottled. I think it's the grenache that provides the stuffing here. This will last another 20 years, no problem. Dark fruit, blackberry, garrigue, light campfire. Really nice.
  • 2014 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Peterson Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/9/2016)
    This was a Wineberserker Day purchase, I think, can't pass up Sandler wines regardless. Pop n pour. Deep cranberry color with excellent clarity, a real sparkler in the glass. Nose shows strawberry and pepper. Juicy palate of cherry and dried cranberry with more of the spicy note building towards the finish. Has a real "delicious" factor. Fine granular tannins and medium acidity. Two thumbs up.
  • 2013 Sandler Wine Company Grenache Boer Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (11/6/2016)
    Opened this with Thai food so I'm writing the tasting note from the glass remaining the following day. Garnet colored with a very light brown hue. Excellent clarity, a real sparkler in the glass. Chambord nose and light toasted wood. High acid, immediately notice that which bodes well for the aging prospects. Very spicy, white pepper, cherry and red plum fruit. Fine bumpy tannins. Medium plus finish. My only bottle otherwise I would definitely slip one into the back of the cellar for another 10 years because this could pass for a very good southern rhone with some age.

ky1em!ttskus

#19 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 12th, 2017, 8:24 am

Campesino.

Drew Goin

#20 Post by Drew Goin » January 12th, 2017, 9:09 am

Corey N. wrote:Has anyone been popping any BerserkerDay wines? With the holiday approaching, I've been trying to make an effort to open some wines produced by past, and hopefully future, BerserkerDay participants.
Brilliant idea for a thread, Corey!! Cheers! :)

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Ron Slye » January 12th, 2017, 9:14 am

Last year Veleta offered their 2005 Cab -- for I think around $20. This was, and still is, an excellent wine. Still drinking incredibly well. A great value for getting something with age on it that is ready to drink!

And of course their sardines, tuna, olive oil, vinegar etc are also excellent.......

Corey N.

#22 Post by Corey N. » January 12th, 2017, 9:15 am

Drew Goin wrote:Brilliant idea for a thread, Corey!! Cheers! :)
Thanks Drew!

I'm going to try to grab a few more BD wines over the next week or two and I'll throw up notes when I have the chance. I hope more people will chime in as well.

Nøv¡¢k

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Bdklein » January 12th, 2017, 10:05 am

I have had Wilde Farms Pinot (think 2013) and Siduri Ewald (think 2013) Pinot and 2010 and 2011 EMH Cab in the past few months. All really good and would buy these wines/winemakers products again .
Bruce Klein

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Nate Simon » January 12th, 2017, 10:54 am

IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 8349 times

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Mike Evans » January 12th, 2017, 11:02 am

I've really enjoyed rosés from Wilde Farm, Random, and Cowan. I haven't tried Briceland's yet but have a couple from last year.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Bdklein » January 12th, 2017, 11:16 am

Mike Evans wrote:
I've really enjoyed rosés from Wilde Farm, Random, and Cowan. I haven't tried Briceland's yet but have a couple from last year.
Ok thanks.
Bruce Klein

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Brandon J. » January 12th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Anyone pick up some good syrah? Maybe on the moderate alcohol side? Or at least very well integrated ?

I'm already in for Briceland.

I typically like Copain, Arnot, Wind Gap etc.
John sen

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mike Evans » January 12th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Brandon J. wrote:Anyone pick up some good syrah? Maybe on the moderate alcohol side? Or at least very well integrated ?

I'm already in for Briceland.

I typically like Copain, Arnot, Wind Gap etc.
Well then, tonight's choice of 2011 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County fits the bill. It keeps changing with air, at times with mostly pure blackberry fruit, at others showing a more meaty and savory side with black pepper, olive, and evergreen. It could use more acidity, but slightly gritty tannin provides good structure that complements the rusticity of the wine. While it started out simple, it just keeps gaining complexity. Very nice and 13.2%.

Edited to add, with more air the acid comes out, giving it a leaner edge.

I'd also check out Lagier Meredith, Wilde Farm (made by Pax Mahle in a beautiful restrained style), and Cowan.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 12th, 2017, 8:03 pm

If Larry includes some of his Mourvedre Rose, buy .... but leave some for me! So completely tasty and happy ... I can't wait for more.

J Krauss

#30 Post by J Krauss » January 13th, 2017, 7:52 am

Opened a 2009 Cabot Klamath Cuvee last night. Lots of cherry and blackberry, smoked peppercorns, tarragon and cedar. Hopefully John offers some library wines again this year!
Jared
ITB, restaurant wine buyer

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Brian Tuite » January 13th, 2017, 8:28 am

Last night we enjoyed a 2014 Cowan Cellars Fiano
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

mseeber

#32 Post by mseeber » January 13th, 2017, 10:04 am

Two notes for Chester's Anvil

2013 Chester's Anvil Malbec (Mt Veeder) - Sweet nose, dark red fruits (black cherry on open, plum after breathing a while), a lot going on in this wine. Finish is lengthy, definitely a good wine to enjoy with grilled, fatty meat with assertive flavor. (also paired with peppered bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado sandwich) Well integrated tannins and a lot of life left. Food friendly.

2013 Chester's Anvil Zinfandel Mead Ranch (Atlas Peak) - Enjoyed with Thanksgiving turkey (grilled on rotisserie, seasoned with orange, clove and sage turkey w/ lump charcoal & pecan wood chunks). Fruit, spice, balance, smooth. A perfect pairing. Thankful that I have another bottle for a few years from now as this will drink well for a while.
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by larry schaffer » January 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

Siun o'Connell wrote:
If Larry includes some of his Mourvedre Rose, buy .... but leave some for me! So completely tasty and happy ... I can't wait for more.
Thanks for the kind words . . .

Not bottling my 2016 Mourvedre Rose, which is featured in my avatar, until the middle of March, and therefore the only way to make that happen would be a 'futures' package - but I'm game if folks are interested! [snort.gif] [cheers.gif] champagne.gif
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Bdklein » January 13th, 2017, 10:54 am

larry schaffer wrote:
Siun o'Connell wrote:

Not bottling my 2016 Mourvedre Rose, which is featured in my avatar, until the middle of March, and therefore the only way to make that happen would be a 'futures' package - but I'm game if folks are interested! [snort.gif] [cheers.gif] champagne.gif
I would consider it-cant speak for others
Bruce Klein

AndrewH

#35 Post by AndrewH » January 13th, 2017, 12:16 pm

The wonders of CellarTracker - did a search for all wines purchased on Jan. 27 (of any year) - these are notes from most recent purchases. Not very in-depth, but contributing for whatever value it has . . .

• 2012 Lichen Estate Blanc de Gris - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (4/16/2016)
    Fine mousse, austere and mineral, little citrus, touch of bitterness on finish (87 pts.)
  • 2012 Lichen Estate Blanc de Noir - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/5/2017)
    Light yellow, a touch cloudy, fine bubbles. Very crisp and lemony, bordering on astringent. Hints of green apple and touch of yeast on finish. (89 pts.)
  • 2013 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvée Home Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/20/2016)
    Very closed for an hour, while drinking, started to open after that. Tightly wound, hints of pine and leather, limited fruit that started to show after time in glass.

Next time decant for an hour! (89 pts.)
Andrew H e i m e r t

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#36 Post by larry schaffer » January 13th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Bdklein wrote:
larry schaffer wrote:
Siun o'Connell wrote:

I would consider it-cant speak for others
Ask and you shall receive - my first 'futures' offer will part of the mix in a few weeks. Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Ron Slye » January 13th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Just cracked open a 2009 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon. Really excellent, just like the other wines I have had from this winery. Lots of wonderful red fruits, encased in lovely flavors of leather and cigar box. There is a slight amount of heat, but nothing off putting -- and still some tannins in the finish that don't dominate, but provide structure and promise many more years. I have this as a $15 purchase, which seems low to me. If it is accurate, a really great buy. I would put this at least at a 90, and probably at 92 or 93 if I more seriously examined it! Off to bathe a baby.....

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 13th, 2017, 9:39 pm

larry schaffer wrote: Ask and you shall receive - my first 'futures' offer will part of the mix in a few weeks. Cheers!
flirtysmile

Carlos Delpin

#39 Post by Carlos Delpin » January 14th, 2017, 2:35 am

Had a bottle of the 2010 Cabot Pinot Noir which was stunning. Only one left! Need to re stock.

Robert Ferguson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Robert Ferguson » January 14th, 2017, 6:53 am

Had a 2014 Franny Beck last night. Very elegant, especially for a 2014. A steal at last years Berserker Day price. I'll buy more.

Robert

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Siun o'Connell » January 14th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Opened a berserker Day EMH Little Black recently and it was superb. Rich but subtle, lovely wine. A real gem - and amazing value for such good wine.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Chris Seiber » January 14th, 2017, 10:40 pm

IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG (31.07 KiB) Viewed 7499 times
2013 Briceland Zinfandel Ishi Pishi Ranch. Had this in December. Spicy, brambly, fresh red fruit. I find this low Alcohol, low oak interpretation of Zinfandel to be an interesting one, and one that adds to range of the variety in a positive way.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Scott Brunson » January 15th, 2017, 5:05 am

Siun o'Connell wrote:
larry schaffer wrote: Ask and you shall receive - my first 'futures' offer will part of the mix in a few weeks. Cheers!
flirtysmile
+ flirtysmile
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

ky1em!ttskus

#44 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm

'13 Campesino Syrah tonight (other half tomorrow night).

Flat out delicious. Full-bodied, dark fruits, meaty, very good structure, lots of CA love. This wouldn't be confused for a St. Jos. but it screams Syrah.

The Campesino rosé (no idea what vintage or variety) I had at a tasting 6 months or so ago was also absolutely delicious. I very rarely drink rosé, but it was probably the best one I've had.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Mike Evans » January 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Three more from Saturday night, though cursory as I was more involved in conversation so didn't take contemporaneous notes:

2015 Cowan Cellars Ribolla Gialla: Very elegant and subtle, peach and flowers with a little saline, just delicious.

2014 Sojourn Chardonnay Sangiacomo Vineyard: Nice acidity balances out the ripe fruit and fairly tame oak.

2011 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Russian River Valley: Sweet cherry fruit with tomato skin and spice, well supported by slightly grainy tannin and bright acidity.

Macario Montoya

#46 Post by Macario Montoya » January 18th, 2017, 9:36 am

ky1em!ttskus wrote:'13 Campesino Syrah tonight (other half tomorrow night).

Flat out delicious. Full-bodied, dark fruits, meaty, very good structure, lots of CA love. This wouldn't be confused for a St. Jos. but it screams Syrah.

The Campesino rosé (no idea what vintage or variety) I had at a tasting 6 months or so ago was also absolutely delicious. I very rarely drink rosé, but it was probably the best one I've had.
Thanks so much for the support. Glad you are enjoying the wines. The Rosé we make is a 100% Grenache.
Cheers
ITB

Corey N.

#47 Post by Corey N. » January 18th, 2017, 9:40 am

Chris Seiber wrote:2013 Briceland Zinfandel Ishi Pishi Ranch. Had this in December. Spicy, brambly, fresh red fruit. I find this low Alcohol, low oak interpretation of Zinfandel to be an interesting one, and one that adds to range of the variety in a positive way.
I recall someone posting that if tastes like Zinfandel that was grown in the Loire. I thought that was a bang-on descriptor.

Nøv¡¢k

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Steve Gautier » January 20th, 2017, 5:42 pm

2011 Cabot Vineyards Pinot Noir Anderson Valley from 2016 BerserkerDay. I have had over two dozen Cabots in the past but this was my first Pinot from Cabot. Very nice mix of fruit and spice and nice acidity. Will make me look at all of John's offers if they are participating again this year.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Corey N.

#49 Post by Corey N. » January 21st, 2017, 1:55 pm

Gonna throw this in here. I'm working while I'm having a glass of wine so I don't feel like writing a new note but my perceptions are largely unchanged. I can see this being a polarizing wine, especially if you like fruity Syrah that will rip off your face. This is a far more elegant side of Syrah and it hits me right in the feels.
  • 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (10/28/2016)
    Extremely pale. Aromatics of rock, white pepper and licorice with a gentle floral note. On the palate there's mild raspberry, white pepper, rocks, earth and subtle green notes. Light-bodied for a Syrah, this is the antithesis of a central coast monster and is an excellent food wine. Tastes like a cool climate Syrah, but drinks like a Pinot. At 12% abv, this wine is the vinous equivalent of a session beer. As the kids might say, the QPR is off the hook. (90 pts.)

Nøv¡¢k

John Cabot
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by John Cabot » January 23rd, 2017, 6:35 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:2011 Cabot Vineyards Pinot Noir Anderson Valley from 2016 BerserkerDay. I have had over two dozen Cabots in the past but this was my first Pinot from Cabot. Very nice mix of fruit and spice and nice acidity. Will make me look at all of John's offers if they are participating again this year.
We will be participating this year Steve. We are digging deep in the library once again for berserker day.
Glad you enjoyed the 11. The 11 Nash Mill has been showing well lately too. Both will be offered for the last time this year.
Cabot Vineyards
Humboldt County

Return to “Wine Talk”