Jersey City and Northern NJ

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Jersey City and Northern NJ

#51 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2011, 6:58 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:A decent sized bone-in rib steak (22 oz.?) is ~ $43. They do "Steak for 2, 3, or 4" -- porterhouse Luger style -- I think that was about $45/person. All listed as Prime, dry-aged (and my steak seemed to be consistent with that claim). My wife had Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonian toothfish -- yes, I know it's endangered) for ~ $45 -- it looked to be at least 1 1/2 lbs (I had the leftovers the next day). All entrees include a decent house salad and onion rings. Service was amateurish but the food was good.
Thanks Gil. As for IN NJ, would you recommend a 30-40 minute drive to try it out? I rarely find good steaks in NJ.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Gil Bauer » December 22nd, 2011, 7:07 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Gil Bauer wrote:A decent sized bone-in rib steak (22 oz.?) is ~ $43. They do "Steak for 2, 3, or 4" -- porterhouse Luger style -- I think that was about $45/person. All listed as Prime, dry-aged (and my steak seemed to be consistent with that claim). My wife had Chilean Sea Bass (Patagonian toothfish -- yes, I know it's endangered) for ~ $45 -- it looked to be at least 1 1/2 lbs (I had the leftovers the next day). All entrees include a decent house salad and onion rings. Service was amateurish but the food was good.
Thanks Gil. As for IN NJ, would you recommend a 30-40 minute drive to try it out? I rarely find good steaks in NJ.
It's about 30 minutes from me and I would do it again. I would say the steak was very good. The ambiance is even more casual than Luger's and the service less gruff but less professional. If you're looking for good steak and don't care so much about the surroundings, I would say it is worth a try. And, of course, it is BYO with no corkage fee -- which makes it unusual among "better" steakhouses in NJ.
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Steve Manzi » December 22nd, 2011, 7:17 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
It's about 30 minutes from me and I would do it again. I would say the steak was very good. The ambiance is even more casual than Luger's and the service less gruff but less professional. If you're looking for good steak and don't care so much about the surroundings, I would say it is worth a try. And, of course, it is BYO with no corkage fee -- which makes it unusual among "better" steakhouses in NJ.
Thanks again. I'm sold. I'll give it a try. Free corkage and a great steak is unusual. Service and surroundings are not all that important to me, for a good steak. Unless the service is offensive. But I'm sure that is not the case.

Appreciate the heads up and offering your feedback.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Steve Manzi » August 22nd, 2012, 11:02 am

Gil Bauer wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
Gil,

Karen and I went some months ago, and just thought I would post and let you and others know that you post about sums it all up there. Really good steak (a real steak cooked right, of you know what I mean). I would definitely go again if in the area, but it is a bit far for us. If it were closer, I would go there once a month or so. Good steak places are hard to find here in NJ, at least in my area. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Steve Manzi » August 22nd, 2012, 11:19 am

Bound Brook: Girasole http://www.girasoleboundbrook.com/

I have been wanting to check this place out for a few years. Just never really knew where Bound Brook was, other than remembering pictures of parts of the town flooding so badly 5-6 years ago, or longer.

I always see good reviews on it, but you know how that can go. Anyway, we were in the area getting my Mac fixed, and decided to give it a try.....5PM (yeah Jaouen, we were hoping for the early bird special......but alas, none offered) So I drove in with my handicapped scooter.... neener

Anyway, walked in and it was pleasant inside. Plenty of tables, and one set up for a party of about 16-18 people. Here is the basic menu: http://www.girasoleboundbrook.com/dinner.html

We weren't sure how it was going to be, but after it was all said and done, we really enjoyed it. Not a fancy intellectual menu or presentation, but from what we ordered, it was very good, sold food, good portions.

We shared a Ceasar Salad , and I have to say it was one of the best (classic) ceasar salads I have had in some time. I would have liked some anchovies on the plate, although in was in the flavor of the dressing. All in all, I very much enjoyed it.

We also split a stuffed shrimp (crab and spinach, if I remember) Nice lump crab with very little, if any bread crumbs. A lemon based dressing/sauce. We both thought it was very good.

For dinner, Karen had: Ravioli Ripieni Con Funghi Handmade porcini mushroom-filled ravioli with leeks & pancetta in a roasted garlic & rosemary sauce, finished with a touch of cream. It was excellent

I had a double port chop stuffed with Broccoli Rabe, leeks, roasted peppers, etc. : It was very good, but too much for me to finish, so we ate the raviolis and packed up the pork chop to have the next night.

All in all, it was better than I expected and would definitely go back We brought our own glasses, and if I remember, their glasses were those medium small round ones that really suck. Service was very pleasant, and pretty good. Only problem we have with it is that it is up Rt 22 WEST, so you either have to go on weekends, or after what Jaouen calls the old crippled man hours 5-7. neener I'd give it a try for sure. [cheers.gif]

Ramon C

#56 Post by Ramon C » December 7th, 2012, 3:19 pm

We're going to an after dinner dessert and drinks at a friend's in River Vale tomorrow night. I think that is in Northern Bergen county, near Ho-ho-kus. ISO restaurant for early dinner for wife and I ... prefer Italian, French, Spanish and American. Allowing BYO would be a plus, but not required.
Thanks.
@brera

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Steve Manzi » December 7th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Ramon Cabrera wrote:We're going to an after dinner dessert and drinks at a friend's in River Vale tomorrow night. I think that is in Northern Bergen county, near Ho-ho-kus. ISO restaurant for early dinner for wife and I ... prefer Italian, French, Spanish and American. Allowing BYO would be a plus, but not required.
Thanks.
Cafe Panache is not that far from Ho-Ho-Kus and is a top BYO in NJ. But River Vale is pretty far up the GSP, if I remember correctly. So, I think Esty Street is near River Vale, but not a BYO.

Ramon C

#58 Post by Ramon C » December 9th, 2012, 8:42 am

Thanks Steve. Ended up staying closer at a nearby Japanese noodle restaurant as wife decided to work late and just driving up to River Vale for our after-dinner appointment. Would have loved to try Cafe Panache.
@brera

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Jay Miller » December 10th, 2012, 8:31 am

Cafe Panache is quite good. I ate there several times while I was living in Mahwah.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Bob Hughes » December 24th, 2012, 8:48 am

I hit Osteria Giotta in Montclair for dinner on Saturday; appetizers were somewhat pedestrian, but I really liked the entrees (my wife had orrechiete with broccoli rabe & sausage, I had a special pork loin "giambotta-style", and other folks at the table were raving about the risotto with lobster (didn't try it). Service was very good in a crowded place, and I'd definitely go back.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Jay Miller » December 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

Bob Hughes wrote:I hit Osteria Giotta in Montclair for dinner on Saturday; appetizers were somewhat pedestrian, but I really liked the entrees (my wife had orrechiete with broccoli rabe & sausage, I had a special pork loin "giambotta-style", and other folks at the table were raving about the risotto with lobster (didn't try it). Service was very good in a crowded place, and I'd definitely go back.
What was the corkage policy?

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Gil Bauer » December 24th, 2012, 10:35 am

Osteria Giotto is BYO -- so $0 corkage at all times. It is a very good casual place. Often hard to get a reservation.
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Travis D.

#63 Post by Travis D. » January 28th, 2013, 8:19 am

GP's in Hamilton Park (Jersey City) is great Italian at a decent price that will allow you to BYO - $15 corkage. Would recommend it based on the skimp wine list available. I know there are plenty of Italian options in this area, but based on my previous visit, I would go out of my way to go back there. Some unique menu options, great apps and solid entrees. Had the grilled scallops, my wife had their Pappardelle w/ Duck Rago (awesome!). The restaurant itself is beautiful, food and service were great. Great neighborhood. A step up from the original in Guttenberg from what I have been told...

http://www.gpsrestaurant.com/jersey-city-menu
Travis D e d e k

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Steve Manzi » April 7th, 2013, 12:52 pm

A new 9 week old BYO, in Ramsey, NJ. A wine buddy invited my wife and I, and unfortunately, Paul Jaouen to join them for dinner on the 19th. We knew if John loved the place, it would be a winner, so we my wife and I snagged a table for two last Saturday night. We did not do the tasting menu because we didn't even know they did one. But, we had some outstanding dishes from apps to dessert. This is a TOP NJ restaurant and certainly one of the top 5 BYOs. Honestly, we felt it to be better than Lorena's, which is outstanding. It is a must go restaurant.

Local Seasonal Kitchen. http://www.localsk.com/ Wow, just wow. It is that good. champagne.gif

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Jay Miller » April 12th, 2013, 9:39 am

Travis D. wrote:GP's in Hamilton Park (Jersey City) is great Italian at a decent price that will allow you to BYO - $15 corkage. Would recommend it based on the skimp wine list available. I know there are plenty of Italian options in this area, but based on my previous visit, I would go out of my way to go back there. Some unique menu options, great apps and solid entrees. Had the grilled scallops, my wife had their Pappardelle w/ Duck Rago (awesome!). The restaurant itself is beautiful, food and service were great. Great neighborhood. A step up from the original in Guttenberg from what I have been told...

Went there Tuesday night during the heat wave. Had a beautiful outside table with a view of the park and the setting sun. Beautiful night and excellent service. I'd describe our food as quite good rather than great though. Pappardelle was stuck together which made the dish difficult to eat. But I'll definitely revisit.

Travis D.

#66 Post by Travis D. » April 15th, 2013, 6:05 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Travis D. wrote:GP's in Hamilton Park (Jersey City) is great Italian at a decent price that will allow you to BYO - $15 corkage. Would recommend it based on the skimp wine list available. I know there are plenty of Italian options in this area, but based on my previous visit, I would go out of my way to go back there. Some unique menu options, great apps and solid entrees. Had the grilled scallops, my wife had their Pappardelle w/ Duck Rago (awesome!). The restaurant itself is beautiful, food and service were great. Great neighborhood. A step up from the original in Guttenberg from what I have been told...

Went there Tuesday night during the heat wave. Had a beautiful outside table with a view of the park and the setting sun. Beautiful night and excellent service. I'd describe our food as quite good rather than great though. Pappardelle was stuck together which made the dish difficult to eat. But I'll definitely revisit.
Glad you enjoyed it. Sucks about the pappardelle. Hope they keep things together there now that they have had some time to get past the initial launch and now maintain the establishment. Haven't been back but we are due for a visit!
Travis D e d e k

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Jay Miller » April 29th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Travis D. wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. Sucks about the pappardelle. Hope they keep things together there now that they have had some time to get past the initial launch and now maintain the establishment. Haven't been back but we are due for a visit!
Had a great brunch at GP's yesterday. Ricotta Pancakes were superb as was the cured meat platter. Excellent coffee. You can skip the Bellini and the ham and not miss anything. Really the best brunch I've had in Jersey City and I'm including Thirty Acres in that.

Travis D.

#68 Post by Travis D. » May 2nd, 2013, 8:06 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Travis D. wrote:Glad you enjoyed it. Sucks about the pappardelle. Hope they keep things together there now that they have had some time to get past the initial launch and now maintain the establishment. Haven't been back but we are due for a visit!
Had a great brunch at GP's yesterday. Ricotta Pancakes were superb as was the cured meat platter. Excellent coffee. You can skip the Bellini and the ham and not miss anything. Really the best brunch I've had in Jersey City and I'm including Thirty Acres in that.
Thanks for the tip - we haven't been there in a while and mentioned it to my wife. Looks like we'll be there this Sunday [cheers.gif]
Travis D e d e k

Travis D.

#69 Post by Travis D. » June 2nd, 2013, 6:08 am

Dinner at Culinariane in Montclair last night, food and service were both excellent. Nice stemware. No corkage, all BYO. This was our second visit in two months and we'll be back again soon, both have been memorable meals. Great recommendation from this thread.

Last night they had a sauteed soft shell crab special that was out of this world. Fried oyster and beef carpaccio appetizers have been great both times. I also really enjoyed my bacon wrapped rabbit loin. Delicious desserts as well. Can't seem to go wrong with any of the menu choices.
Travis D e d e k

Robert Boudreau

#70 Post by Robert Boudreau » August 1st, 2013, 6:58 am

Promising place opening soon in Jersey City Heights, Orange And Olive Caterers and Chef's Table. 10 course tasting menus will be offered and it's BYO.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Jay Miller » August 1st, 2013, 8:22 am

Hmm, looks like closest public transport is a 15 minute walk from the 9th St. Light Rail? Difficult location to get to though it certainly sounds interesting.

Robert Boudreau

#72 Post by Robert Boudreau » August 1st, 2013, 8:27 am

Jay Miller wrote:Hmm, looks like closest public transport is a 15 minute walk from the 9th St. Light Rail? Difficult location to get to though it certainly sounds interesting.
It's a 5 minute walk from my house. champagne.gif

There are buses and even jitneys, if you're so inclined.

Mike Cohen

#73 Post by Mike Cohen » August 1st, 2013, 10:41 am

Ate at Osteria Giotto two weeks ago and found it to be patently average across the board...food, service, etc. I was surprised at how hard it is to get a reservation there. I find that there are numerous places in Montclair that I enjoy more.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Jay Miller » August 1st, 2013, 1:06 pm

Robert Boudreau wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Hmm, looks like closest public transport is a 15 minute walk from the 9th St. Light Rail? Difficult location to get to though it certainly sounds interesting.

Let me know when they open and I'll update the first post accordingly.

Robert Boudreau

#75 Post by Robert Boudreau » August 1st, 2013, 9:49 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
Robert Boudreau wrote:

Let me know when they open and I'll update the first post accordingly.
Will do!

Robert Boudreau

#76 Post by Robert Boudreau » August 2nd, 2013, 6:21 am

Also, please note that Thirty Acres has had a wine list for a while now. I have yet to visit them, but I plan to soon. I believe the corkage is $20.00.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Jay Miller » August 2nd, 2013, 8:19 am

Robert Boudreau wrote:Also, please note that Thirty Acres has had a wine list for a while now. I have yet to visit them, but I plan to soon. I believe the corkage is $20.00.
I highly recommend them for the food. Just don't try and make a reservation or expect special treatment if you become a regular. I still haven't been back since that debacle.

Robert Boudreau

#78 Post by Robert Boudreau » August 2nd, 2013, 9:37 am

I've eaten there maybe a dozen times and the food is wonderful. Reservations can be made for 5 or more, but those aren't easy to come by either. I'll probably revisit soon, bring a bottle and have some wine by the glass as well.

Robert Boudreau

#79 Post by Robert Boudreau » November 6th, 2013, 6:52 am

Good news and bad news. First the bad.

From Soul Flavor's site

"After over 6 years of trading in Jersey City, it is with great sadness that on October 27th we've had to announce the closure of Soul Flavors. When Superstorm Sandy hit last year, we lost all our food in the kitchen with the power outage, along with the whole of our inventory stored in the basement refrigerators and freezers and store cupboards due to the flooding. Although we have tried very hard for the last 11 months to get back on our feet, unfortunately we have not managed to do so. Although Soul Flavors restaurant is closed we will be continuing with our catering business . Thanksgiving is around the corner and we wanted JC to know that we are taking orders now and can be reached at INFO@SOULFLAVORS.COM. Thank you so very much for being our loyal patrons, we have appreciated your business and could not have come this far without you all. Would you please post this and forward to your database. Thanks so much for all your help now and in the past."

Now the good. Orange and Olive Caterers has opened in Jersey City, in the Heights.

They offer a chef's table 10 course tasting menu that's delicious.
It's a BYOB with decent stems.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I went a few weeks ago and I'll be back again this Saturday.
Seating is limited to 12 people.
http://orangeandolivecaterers.com/

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Jay Miller » November 6th, 2013, 7:36 am

I'm still in mourning over Soul Flavors. I've been eating there since they first opened and it was my favorite JC restaurant.

Without a car Orange and Olive is not easy to get to.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Paul Jaouen » November 6th, 2013, 9:11 am

Sorry to see Soul Flavors gone. And to think I couldn't make the last couple that Jay invited me to. I would be up for trying O and O. Jay, I'll pick you up.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by cjsavino » April 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Went to Civile in Morris Plains on Route 10 last night for an offline, great food, service, and plenty of glasses.
http://www.ristorantecivile.net
Chris

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Peter Shurman » April 7th, 2014, 3:53 pm

^

where's the like button?

[thumbs-up.gif]
keeping those ITB in business

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Jay Miller » April 25th, 2014, 6:14 am

Sam AM - 112 Morris St. (betw. Washington and Warren) in Jersey City. They are mostly an excellent coffee shop (they get their coffee from the Stumptown in Brooklyn) but they are doing BYO dinners on Thursday nights. Last night was a Hungarian menu for $45, next Thursday will be all seafood.

As a bonus they have the best coffee I've found in Jersey City. Warning if you go in the morning - they get their bread from Amy's Bread which makes lousy croissants. We should get some of the locals together for a dinner. Not this coming Thursday but maybe some time soon?

Ian Dorin

#85 Post by Ian Dorin » April 28th, 2014, 11:04 am

Had dinner at Pairings on Saturday night, and it was tremendous.
If you are planning on bringing good wine, plan on BYOGing too. The glasses are fine, just not stellar.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Paul Jaouen » April 28th, 2014, 11:30 am

Ian Dorin wrote:Had dinner at Pairings on Saturday night, and it was tremendous.
If you are planning on bringing good wine, plan on BYOGing too. The glasses are fine, just not stellar.
I think it is very good but not a great deal but on Wednesdays they have a four course prix fixe for $35 which is a bargain. We bring stems.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Jay Miller » July 12th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:
Springfield
And for those in the mood for really good Mexican, there is a place called Picante. Wife and I get take out all the time, but have not eaten at the restaurant. This is probably BYOG too.
We went there a few months ago and thought it was VERY bland. Maybe we ordered the wrong things, but was not impressed.
I went there for the first time today and have to agree. Not worth it.

Maybe it's changed chefs since Ian recommended it?

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#88 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 25th, 2014, 8:24 am

cjsavino wrote:Went to Civile in Morris Plains on Route 10 last night for an offline, great food, service, and plenty of glasses.
Totally agree. I've had 3 very good meals at Civile in the last few months.

Also, as Ian mentioned, Pairings is excellent.

Both Civile and Pairings are on Open Table as well.

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Peter Shurman » August 4th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Sherri Shapiro wrote:
cjsavino wrote:Went to Civile in Morris Plains on Route 10 last night for an offline, great food, service, and plenty of glasses.
Totally agree. I've had 3 very good meals at Civile in the last few months.

Also, as Ian mentioned, Pairings is excellent.

Both Civile and Pairings are on Open Table as well.
We should do a Mets fans offline @ Civile's ... [cheers.gif]

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by cjsavino » October 10th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Went to Bistro Seventy Three in bernardsville tonight, they also have a location in New Providence. Split a burrata appetizer, entrees were a braised lamb shank for me and fresh butternut squash ravioli with goat cheese and fig for the mrs. Glassware was acceptable, modified zalto type glass. Worth a return.
Chris

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by C Prince » October 10th, 2014, 7:56 pm

We've not been to Bistro Seventy Three since before it had the dot added to its name but we liked it before and we're right down the road in Peapack so we will have to try it again. On the other hand, if any one wants to do an offline there, even a small one we'd be up for it. Ditto for Civile.
∰Col leen∰

Peter Shurman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Peter Shurman » November 25th, 2014, 5:12 pm

great food

good stemware

http://sorrentoristorantenj.com

[cheers.gif]

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Jay Miller » November 26th, 2014, 6:43 am

I've updated and alphabetized the city list. If people could try and provided BYO details (is it free? bottle limit? etc.) that would be helpful. Thanks!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Jay Miller » December 12th, 2014, 6:26 am

The Kitchen At Grove Station

A new restaurant opened a month ago right near the Grove St. Path in a spot that I remembered as being a lousy lunch place back in 2002.

Arnold and I split:

Watercress salad with baked cheddar, apples, almonds and fig wrapped dates
Cauliflower soup with crabmeat and Uni
Duroc Pork Chop with sweet potato, farro and kale
Brook Trout with mushrooms, pea leaves, ginger, cauliflower truffle mushroom broth

All were excellent and the total bill with tip was about $42. And free corkage! Bring glasses. This one is a keeper.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Steve Manzi » December 13th, 2014, 11:58 am

Peter Shurman wrote:great food

good stemware

http://sorrentoristorantenj.com

[cheers.gif]
Has this restaurant ever changed ownership? I remember dining there back in the mid 80's to early 90s when I raced horses at the Meadowlands. Was always solid food. Nothing fancy, but always fresh and good quality.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Steve Manzi » December 13th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Jay Miller wrote:The Kitchen At Grove Station

A new restaurant opened a month ago right near the Grove St. Path in a spot that I remembered as being a lousy lunch place back in 2002.

Arnold and I split:

Watercress salad with baked cheddar, apples, almonds and fig wrapped dates
Cauliflower soup with crabmeat and Uni What an odd mix. But it sounds very interesting. What was this dish like?
Duroc Pork Chop with sweet potato, farro and kale
Brook Trout with mushrooms, pea leaves, ginger, cauliflower truffle mushroom broth

All were excellent and the total bill with tip was about $42. And free corkage! Bring glasses. This one is a keeper.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Jay Miller » December 13th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:

What an odd mix. But it sounds very interesting. What was this dish like?
I should have specified that it was a cold soup, the uni added a lovely saline lift to the flavors and the crabmeat added some more seafood flavor as well as a richer texture. I liked it a lot and I'm thinking of trying to duplicate it.

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Steve Manzi » December 14th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:

What an odd mix. But it sounds very interesting. What was this dish like?
I should have specified that it was a cold soup, the uni added a lovely saline lift to the flavors and the crabmeat added some more seafood flavor as well as a richer texture. I liked it a lot and I'm thinking of trying to duplicate it.
Thanks. Let us know if you do duplicate it. I love Uni. My wife, unfortunately, hates it. champagne.gif

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by cjsavino » January 18th, 2015, 6:12 am

We had an offline at Ursino in Union, NJ last night with a group from the cellartracker forum. They were very accommodating to our group of 10 with a private room provided. They stocked the room with glasses, ice buckets, water, and side table for setting up our wines. To handle the group on a Saturday night we worked with them on a limited four course menu with a pair of selections for each course. All in cost with tax and tip was $100/per.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chris

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Paul Jaouen » January 18th, 2015, 6:44 am

Chris, great value. Nicely done.
Best,
Paul Jaouen