RUM ... talk to me, people

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#101 Post by Tran Bronstein » June 4th, 2013, 7:13 am

Surprised to see no mention of the Williams & Humbert Dos Maderas rums here. They just brought in the 5 + 5 here to the LCBO in Ontario and I wasted no time picking up a bottle.

Quite interesting to compare to the Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera 23 side by side. You can really tell the difference between distilling from the Zacapa's sugar cane honey versus the molasses used for the Dos Maderas. While both are exquisitely rich, the Dos Maderas has more unctuousness and heft to its texture and mouthfeel and taste while the Zacapa comes off quite a bit lighter in taste by comparison.

Both are aged in a mix of bourbon and sherry barrels but the Dos Maderas is not a solera, it is a straight 10 years aged and so the sherry influence is a lot stronger, especially the PX taste. It's actually surprisingly sweet so if you care to use it as a mixer you may have to adjust your cocktail recipes.

This is a wonderful sipping rum and very affordable, to boot. It was a mere $64.95 CDN here which means you must get it for an insanely good price if you're in the US. You rum lovers should snap some up without hesitation.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 1st, 2014, 5:15 pm

I went to a local tiki bar last night (yes, it's a thing again) with a big rum list. Knowing nothing about rum, I asked for a suggestion: El Dorado 21. Wow - so good, and a nice change of pace from my usual spirit (bourbon). I need to learn more.

Jeff Stettner

#103 Post by Jeff Stettner » March 2nd, 2014, 9:30 am

Recently lucked out and found a bottle, still sealed with tax stamp, of late 1940's or early 1950's pre-embargo Bacardi (lucked out as in, yard sale find). The owner was an old liquor distributor who died years ago and the stuff just sat in his basement until his wife passed at which point the kids had an estate sale. Has anybody tried this? How does it hold up? I did quite a bit of research and have yet to find any information on quality. I have not had the nerve to open it yet...
ITB...

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by alan weinberg » March 2nd, 2014, 10:00 am

love Zaya 12 yr old ($24.00), also Pampero Aniversario. Have a bottle of 20 yr old Santiago de Cuba I liberated from Havana but haven't tried it yet. The Havana Club Maestro someone mentioned was over $2,000 per bottle in Havana--crazy price. Needless to say, I passed.

Nolan E

#105 Post by Nolan E » March 2nd, 2014, 10:07 am

Jeff Stettner wrote:Recently lucked out and found a bottle, still sealed with tax stamp, of late 1940's or early 1950's pre-embargo Bacardi (lucked out as in, yard sale find). The owner was an old liquor distributor who died years ago and the stuff just sat in his basement until his wife passed at which point the kids had an estate sale. Has anybody tried this? How does it hold up? I did quite a bit of research and have yet to find any information on quality. I have not had the nerve to open it yet...
I'd imagine the market value of this is well above whatever enjoyment you may get out of it. Bacardi might even be interested in taking it off your hands, emailing them might provide some answers.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

#106 Post by Humberto Dorta » March 2nd, 2014, 11:02 am

Don Q anejo is where its at for me. I grew up with Don Q Cristal in Puerto Rico so when they started producing anejo I bought a bottle for old times sake (about $50) and have since drank through six and seven of them. Routinely pour it next to pappys, cabo uno, laphroaig 25 as examples of finer of class to my friends and it gets the same oohs and aahhs as the more famous spirits.
Havent tried some of the ones in this thread though Dorado and brugal are very familiar to me as is goslings.
--Berto

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by M.Kaplan » March 2nd, 2014, 11:22 am

Clairin Vaval, from Haiti. Small batch, copper pot distilled from fresh run cane juice, not molasses. Unlike any other sugar distillate I've ever tasted. Not imported to the US, unfortunately. I buy it at La Maison du Whisky in Paris, the greatest spirits shop anywhere, in my opinion.

---Mark

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Michael Bowden » March 2nd, 2014, 12:11 pm

alan weinberg wrote:The Havana Club Maestro someone mentioned was over $2,000 per bottle in Havana--crazy price. Needless to say, I passed.
That would have been me....

Was it this - (if so, can be had in Europe for somewhere between 40-60 euros)

This is what I was talking about BTW

or

this - (closer to 1500-2K USD)

This is actually the Havana Club Maximo.

I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: RUM ... talk to me, people

#109 Post by Paul Miller » March 2nd, 2014, 12:15 pm

Paul Miller wrote:Was in Cuba back in April. Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I'm all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported.

Until then, I'll just work on finishing my bottle of Ron Abuelo 7-Year.
I got a bottle in Havana for about $45.

Scott Sutherland

#110 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 2nd, 2014, 8:44 pm

Humberto Dorta wrote:Don Q anejo is where its at for me. I grew up with Don Q Cristal in Puerto Rico so when they started producing anejo I bought a bottle for old times sake (about $50) and have since drank through six and seven of them. Routinely pour it next to pappys, cabo uno, laphroaig 25 as examples of finer of class to my friends and it gets the same oohs and aahhs as the more famous spirits.
Havent tried some of the ones in this thread though Dorado and brugal are very familiar to me as is goslings.

The anejo or the gran anejo? K and L has the anejo for like 30 and the gran anejo for about 50. I'd love to try this.

Scott

Scott Sutherland

#111 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 2nd, 2014, 8:46 pm

Also

I've had the El Dorado 12 and 15. Like them both. How did that 21 compare?

The 15 had a bit too much wood for me -- less sweet than then 12, but not nearly as easy to drink. If the 21 has even more wood then I'm probably not going to like it.

Thanks

Scott

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: RUM ... talk to me, people

#112 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 2nd, 2014, 9:04 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Was in Cuba back in April. Found Havana Club Selección de Maestros. I think I drank a bottle of this stuff all by myself. I'm all for dropping the embargo just to get this imported.

Until then, I'll just work on finishing my bottle of Ron Abuelo 7-Year.
I got a bottle in Havana for about $45.

*worship*
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by alan weinberg » March 2nd, 2014, 9:30 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:The Havana Club Maestro someone mentioned was over $2,000 per bottle in Havana--crazy price. Needless to say, I passed.
That would have been me....

Was it this - (if so, can be had in Europe for somewhere between 40-60 euros)

This is what I was talking about BTW

or

this - (closer to 1500-2K USD)

This is actually the Havana Club Maximo.

Maximo must have
been the one I was thinking of. Anyone heard of the 20 yr old I mentioned--Santiago de Cuba?

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

#114 Post by Humberto Dorta » March 3rd, 2014, 9:01 am

My bad the gran anejo. I dont like the regular anejo
--Berto

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 3rd, 2014, 9:06 am

Scott Sutherland wrote:Also

The 15 had a bit too much wood for me -- less sweet than then 12, but not nearly as easy to drink. If the 21 has even more wood then I'm probably not going to like it.

Thanks

Scott
I'll report back when I get a bottle of the younger rums to compare.

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 3rd, 2014, 8:01 pm

Thanks

Scott
Impromptu rum tasting. The 15 has a whiskey-like burn compared with the 12, so I see where you're coming from. The 21 is fantastic. You get the clean aromas of the 12, but deeper, richer, and more complex flavors. Worth the premium, I think.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

John Liotta

#117 Post by John Liotta » March 3rd, 2014, 8:22 pm

There is a 25 year old as well, but it is nearly impossible to find. Its also amazing.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#118 Post by Tran Bronstein » March 3rd, 2014, 8:47 pm

The El Dorado 21 is beautiful. The 25 is available here in Ontario, Canada for a whopping $400 but having sampled it at a tasting bar I can say.... it is totally worth it.

Scott Sutherland

#119 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 4th, 2014, 8:21 am

Ryan Kilkenney wrote:

Thanks

Scott
Impromptu rum tasting. The 15 has a whiskey-like burn compared with the 12, so I see where you're coming from. The 21 is fantastic. You get the clean aromas of the 12, but deeper, richer, and more complex flavors. Worth the premium, I think.
Ask and you shall receive! I'm impressed Ryan. That's incredibly helpful. I'll have to grab one if the 21s. Fairly reasonable compared with bourbon or scotch.

Scott

Scott Sutherland

#120 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 4th, 2014, 8:22 am

Humberto Dorta wrote:My bad the gran anejo. I dont like the regular anejo
Thanks. I'll grab one of these too.

Scott

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Paul Miller » March 4th, 2014, 8:44 am

Tran Bronstein wrote:The El Dorado 21 is beautiful. The 25 is available here in Ontario, Canada for a whopping $400 but having sampled it at a tasting bar I can say.... it is totally worth it.
What does the 21 cost?

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#122 Post by Jorge Henriquez » March 4th, 2014, 8:47 am

Had both the 7 year & 12 year Abuelo while in Panama a couple of weeks ago. The 12 is excellent and well worth the $30 I saw it for at a liquor store.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » March 4th, 2014, 8:47 am

Paul Miller wrote:
Tran Bronstein wrote:The El Dorado 21 is beautiful. The 25 is available here in Ontario, Canada for a whopping $400 but having sampled it at a tasting bar I can say.... it is totally worth it.
What does the 21 cost?
$99 at Binny's.

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

#124 Post by Humberto Dorta » March 4th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Funny thing. Last night a buddy came over and we started opening bourbons, tequila, etc and sipping on stuff. When we got to the Don Q gran anejo I told him about this thread and how I wanted to try the El Dorado. I already ordered the 21. So he points at my wet bar and says "Isnt that what youre talking about?" Turns out I had a new bottle of El Dorado 15 sitting on the bar. Someone had brought it as a gift and I never bothered to read the label. DUH. Anyway as my buddy put it: This tastes like a very sweet bourbon. I like the mouthfeel, thick and palate coating. I dont mind the burn. It is a brute when compared to the more aromatic gran anejo. I like them both.
--Berto

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#125 Post by Tran Bronstein » March 14th, 2014, 10:21 pm

@Paul: The El Dorado 21 goes for a very affordable $110 CDN here so should be much more reasonable elsewhere.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by M.Kaplan » March 14th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Tran,
LCBO sells Havana Club Añejo 7 Años for $32.95 (CDN). If you don't like it, I'll send you a check for the purchase price. It is the best $32.95 (CDN) spirit in the world.
---Mark

Scott Sutherland

#127 Post by Scott Sutherland » March 15th, 2014, 12:08 am

Just picked up the El Dorado 21. Ryan's pretty much spot on. Fabulous. It's so funny, I tasted the 12 and the 15 and thought well goodness, it can't get much better than the 12. And then the 21. Outstanding.

The 12 is really, really good, but the 21 is something else.

Thanks for the rec

Scott

John Liotta

#128 Post by John Liotta » March 16th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Did anyone see this about Mount Gay: http://www.barbadostoday.bb/2014/03/10/ ... ign=buffer

Looks like they are done?
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#129 Post by William Segui » March 16th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Humberto Dorta wrote:Funny thing. Last night a buddy came over and we started opening bourbons, tequila, etc and sipping on stuff. When we got to the Don Q gran anejo I told him about this thread and how I wanted to try the El Dorado. I already ordered the 21. So he points at my wet bar and says "Isnt that what youre talking about?" Turns out I had a new bottle of El Dorado 15 sitting on the bar. Someone had brought it as a gift and I never bothered to read the label. DUH. Anyway as my buddy put it: This tastes like a very sweet bourbon. I like the mouthfeel, thick and palate coating. I dont mind the burn. It is a brute when compared to the more aromatic gran anejo. I like them both.
If you didn't live in the sticks, I'd be planning a trip to drink at your house asap.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » March 19th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Binnys on Clark has three different El Dorado single barrels at 70 each. Any one know anything about these?
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

John Liotta

#131 Post by John Liotta » March 19th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Robert, they are good. Interesting, but I would rather own bottles of the 21.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#132 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 19th, 2014, 6:10 pm

John Liotta wrote:Robert, they are good. Interesting, but I would rather own bottles of the 21.
Am I trying this at your house this weekend? I hear it goes well with hot tubs and Chazz's mom's meatloaf...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

John Liotta

#133 Post by John Liotta » March 19th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
John Liotta wrote:Robert, they are good. Interesting, but I would rather own bottles of the 21.
Am I trying this at your house this weekend? I hear it goes well with hot tubs and Chazz's mom's meatloaf...

I do have some. Your welcome to it.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Humberto Dorta
Contributor
Contributor

#134 Post by Humberto Dorta » March 20th, 2014, 8:25 am

William Segui wrote:
Humberto Dorta wrote:Funny thing. Last night a buddy came over and we started opening bourbons, tequila, etc and sipping on stuff. When we got to the Don Q gran anejo I told him about this thread and how I wanted to try the El Dorado. I already ordered the 21. So he points at my wet bar and says "Isnt that what youre talking about?" Turns out I had a new bottle of El Dorado 15 sitting on the bar. Someone had brought it as a gift and I never bothered to read the label. DUH. Anyway as my buddy put it: This tastes like a very sweet bourbon. I like the mouthfeel, thick and palate coating. I dont mind the burn. It is a brute when compared to the more aromatic gran anejo. I like them both.
If you didn't live in the sticks, I'd be planning a trip to drink at your house asap.
Dude...
Come over for a weekend. Grill, BBQ, Drink and golf this summer.
--Berto

Jane Crabill

#135 Post by Jane Crabill » March 20th, 2014, 10:43 am

I don't have a very wide experience with different rums but I DO like Appleton.
Fayetteville, NC

Chris S p i k e s

#136 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 22nd, 2014, 1:26 pm

I just found the Zafra 21Yr for $40 locally and the Banks 5 Island for $26. Both seem like buys, right?

And, any thoughts on Botran? Never had it, but picked up a bottle of their aged Blanca to try. Haven't opened it yet.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » April 24th, 2014, 3:36 pm

FYI El Dorado prices spiked about 30% as of March 1 on the wholesale side, if you see the 21yr on the cheap, or any other El Dorado stuff you may like, grab it now because eventually you will see the prices jump.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#138 Post by William Segui » April 24th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:FYI El Dorado prices spiked about 30% as of March 1 on the wholesale side, if you see the 21yr on the cheap, or any other El Dorado stuff you may like, grab it now because eventually you will see the prices jump.
$40-ish on the Solera 21 (or is it 23?) is the old price or the new price?

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#139 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » April 24th, 2014, 8:27 pm

$40 for the 21yr is a steal.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Chris S p i k e s

#140 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 24th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Ryan Kilkenney wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
What does the 21 cost?
$99 at Binny's.
@Will - What?? It's just south of $100 around here currently (and has been). Someone else in this thread said a while back it was $110 CND up in Canada. Did you buy it for $40? If you still can, back up the truck and arbitrage!

Russell Faulkner

#141 Post by Russell Faulkner » April 24th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Any tips on good rums to use in a rum Manhattan, currently using Bacardi 8 yo.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by Kris Patten » April 25th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Russell Faulkner wrote:Any tips on good rums to use in a rum Manhattan, currently using Bacardi 8 yo.
Zaya 12.
ITB

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#143 Post by William Segui » April 26th, 2014, 9:39 am

Kris Patten wrote:
Russell Faulkner wrote:Any tips on good rums to use in a rum Manhattan, currently using Bacardi 8 yo.
Zaya 12.
will have to try this as Zaya 12 is far too sticky sweet for me neat. had been looking for something to do with the rest of it -- will give this a try

Chris S p i k e s

#144 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 26th, 2014, 11:02 am

William Segui wrote:
Kris Patten wrote:
Zaya 12.
will have to try this as Zaya 12 is far too sticky sweet for me neat. had been looking for something to do with the rest of it -- will give this a try
I feel the same way about El Dorado 12 Yr. Taking my extra bottle back. Hoping the 15 and 21 Yr are more to my liking. Have a bottle of the Zaya, but haven't opened it yet. I need some good mixing dark rums anyway, so not a big deal.

Scott Sutherland

#145 Post by Scott Sutherland » April 26th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Chris S p i k e s wrote:
I feel the same way about El Dorado 12 Yr. Taking my extra bottle back. Hoping the 15 and 21 Yr are more to my liking. Have a bottle of the Zaya, but haven't opened it yet. I need some good mixing dark rums anyway, so not a big deal.
If you felt like that about the 12, I'd probably try the 15. I thought that the least sweet of the three. The 21 is sort of in between the two sweetness-wise. The 21 is my favorite though.

Scott

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

#146 Post by Tran Bronstein » May 18th, 2014, 6:52 pm

I just acquired the Flor de Cana 18 YO rum from Nicaragua. A solid QPR value at a mere $60 CDN. This is an older stock bottle but who cares? This should be awesome to crack open!
Attachments
Flor de Cana.jpg
Flor de Cana.jpg (21.61 KiB) Viewed 2982 times

John Liotta

#147 Post by John Liotta » May 13th, 2015, 6:36 pm

This thread needs a bump . . .

Anyone had the Gosling's Old Rum?
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » May 14th, 2015, 8:23 pm

John,

I've tried it a couple of times. It's great and all but for $90-100 which is approx NYS retail, you can do better. Try El Dorado 21yr.--Oops, just noticed the whole last page of the thread was on El Dorado...

Goslings to me has too much of a sweet, candied profile, even the older stuff.

There is an El Dorado Single Still bottle on closeout for $52 at one of my NJ spots, I plan to scoop it up this weekend.

I have not had too much other rum in the upper tier price point lately.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by NED VALOIS » May 14th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Looks like some names of the Ron Zacapa rums are a bit confusing. I recently received a Zacapa XO Centenario Solera Gran Reserva Especial , which is similar in name to the Zacapa Centenario XO , but different .
Has anyone tried them both and have an opinion ??

John Liotta

#150 Post by John Liotta » May 15th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Ned, they are all super sweet. Honestly, if you like your rum that way then they are worth the price I guess.

Brent, I love the El Dorado 21. Just wondering about the Gosling as I hadn't seen it before.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Return to “Beer and Spirits”