Washington DC

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
J. Lee

Re: Washington DC

#51 Post by J. Lee » December 7th, 2012, 1:51 pm

I just celebrated 5 yrs with my partner at Bibiana. Corkage was $35. We took a crazy wine from the Villa of Mysteries in Pompeii. No idea where he got it, but it wasn't from any local wine places here in DC.

(This is my first post! [cheers.gif] )
Janet

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by scott c » December 7th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Welcome, J (what's it stand for?)!!!
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#53 Post by Howard Cooper » April 8th, 2013, 1:37 pm

anyone have any info on Montgomery County restaurants now that they can allow corkage. http://freshvino.com/archives/4887
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mike Heyse

Washington DC

#54 Post by Mike Heyse » April 8th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Marylanders for Better Beer and Wine Laws (MBBWL) is tracking that on their website, Howard. If you google it, the spreadsheet should come up with a statewide chart.
http://www.stateyourgear.com

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Dan Hammer » April 12th, 2013, 10:12 am

tim orourke wrote:I just put this together >>

http://www.weygandtwines.com/dc-restaur ... e-list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody with any new info, let me know
Tim, has this list been updated? I'm DC bound.
This space for rent.

Robert Johnston

Washington DC

#56 Post by Robert Johnston » April 13th, 2013, 8:30 am

Howard Cooper wrote:anyone have any info on Montgomery County restaurants now that they can allow corkage. http://freshvino.com/archives/4887
The official list for MoCo is here:

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/cont ... orkage.pdf

It would be nice if they updated it more often than once a month.

W. Leonard

#57 Post by W. Leonard » April 13th, 2013, 8:47 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
tim orourke wrote:I just put this together >>

http://www.weygandtwines.com/dc-restaur ... e-list.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody with any new info, let me know
Tim, has this list been updated? I'm DC bound.

We try to keep it up to date but it never hurts to call and confirm with the restaurant.

I know Cork Wine Bar is now $25/ btl
warren@weygandtwines.com

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#58 Post by scott c » April 17th, 2013, 7:20 am

Le Diplomate in Logan Circle is $25 per bottle, can't be on the list, and limited to one bottle per two people. Dreadful policy.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#59 Post by Dan Hammer » April 17th, 2013, 6:49 pm

We're going to Cafe Milano and Cedar Restaurant.

Speak now, or forever hold your peace re: opinions.
This space for rent.

Robert Johnston

Washington DC

#60 Post by Robert Johnston » April 18th, 2013, 12:04 pm

You should enjoy Cedar. Chef McCloud is always willing to design a meal around your wine if you ask. We tend to bring several wines and just ask him to set up a 5 course tasting menu.

The last time I went, my son, nephew, and I had a 7 course tasting menu (my wife just went with a three course meal) and with the exception of the foie gras and the cheese course, each of us had something different for each of the other five courses.

ehrlichdy

Washington DC

#61 Post by ehrlichdy » April 19th, 2013, 8:24 am

Robert Johnston wrote:You should enjoy Cedar. Chef McCloud is always willing to design a meal around your wine if you ask. We tend to bring several wines and just ask him to set up a 5 course tasting menu.

The last time I went, my son, nephew, and I had a 7 course tasting menu (my wife just went with a three course meal) and with the exception of the foie gras and the cheese course, each of us had something different for each of the other five courses.
Robert,

What's the damage for corkage?
David Ehrlich

Robert Johnston

Washington DC

#62 Post by Robert Johnston » April 22nd, 2013, 1:50 pm

$25 I believe.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#63 Post by Jay $$ Winton » April 22nd, 2013, 2:44 pm

Excellent meal at Bombay Club last Friday-interesting list. Good meal at Lavandou last night and they decanted my 88 La Lagune matter of factly.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#64 Post by Howard Cooper » April 26th, 2013, 9:43 am

Robert Johnston wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:anyone have any info on Montgomery County restaurants now that they can allow corkage. http://freshvino.com/archives/4887

Thank you.
Howard

Art K u o

#65 Post by Art K u o » May 2nd, 2013, 10:34 am

ehrlichdy wrote:Is anyone aware of good Thai or Chinese restaurants offering corkage?
Thai Xing is free corkage, and I think Little Serow allows byo for $25/btl (or was it $35?) but their beer pairings are quite awesome...

i've lived in dc for close to 2 years and still have not gone to a chinese restaurant that i would recommend anyone eating... with that said, mala tang allows byo for $20/btl, i think...

question for DC folks... y'all know of any crab shacks that allow byo? my friends and i wanted to do a crab fest at the sw waterfront, but since one of them is deathly afraid of birds, we have to opt for somewhere indoors... any suggestions?
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

Scot H.

#66 Post by Scot H. » May 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am

Art K u o wrote:
i've lived in dc for close to 2 years and still have not gone to a chinese restaurant that i would recommend anyone eating... with that said, mala tang allows byo for $20/btl, i think...

question for DC folks... y'all know of any crab shacks that allow byo? my friends and i wanted to do a crab fest at the sw waterfront, but since one of them is deathly afraid of birds, we have to opt for somewhere indoors... any suggestions?
You need to go to the burbs for good ethnic asian food. Try Tyler Cowan's guide.

http://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/

For Sichuan, I like Hong Kong Palace (ignore the place name) in Seven Corners/Falls Church. It is not far down Route 50 from DC.
@$$elm@n

Art K u o

Washington DC

#67 Post by Art K u o » May 3rd, 2013, 8:23 am

i don't deny that ethnic food around the DMV area is much better in the burbs than in the city (generally)... i've heard really good things about indian food, and i know that the top thai and vietnamese restaurants here are on par with what i'm used to back in southern california... but such is not the case with korean, japanese, and chinese food... especially with chinese food (to include HK palace), there's simply nothing good enough for me to associate my name to a recommendation (there are some serviceable options that i would eat when i'm really really really craving chinese food and too lazy to cook myself, but those are desperate times)... for japanese food, seki, sushiko, sushi taro, makoto are all pretty good but would not be able to distinguish themselves in another big city... and it's tough for me to comment on korean food having lived in los angeles's ktown for a few years, where the korean food (especially kbbq) is considered to be even better than in korea.
the line separating being obnoxious and sarcatic is not as thick as you think... especially on the internet.

doug johnson

Washington DC

#68 Post by doug johnson » May 5th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Art K u o wrote:i don't deny that ethnic food around the DMV area is much better in the burbs than in the city (generally)... i've heard really good things about indian food, and i know that the top thai and vietnamese restaurants here are on par with what i'm used to back in southern california... but such is not the case with korean, japanese, and chinese food... especially with chinese food (to include HK palace), there's simply nothing good enough for me to associate my name to a recommendation (there are some serviceable options that i would eat when i'm really really really craving chinese food and too lazy to cook myself, but those are desperate times)... for japanese food, seki, sushiko, sushi taro, makoto are all pretty good but would not be able to distinguish themselves in another big city... and it's tough for me to comment on korean food having lived in los angeles's ktown for a few years, where the korean food (especially kbbq) is considered to be even better than in korea.
I haven't ate in LA's Korea Town, but I have had Korean food in Korean areas of NE China, in Chicago, in Manhattan's Korea Town: the better places in Annandale stack up with any of them.

Sushi Taro, at least at the omakase seats, at a minimum holds its own with any Japanese restaurant I've been to in the US.

Sounds like you have DC-inferiority complex - it's pretty common in town!

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#69 Post by Dan Hammer » May 6th, 2013, 6:17 am

Dan Hammer wrote: Cedar Restaurant.
Welcoming staff. More than acceptable stems. Delicious food at reasonable prices. Most entrees were in the mid-upper $20's. Corkage was $25.
Free street parking after 6:30 or Valet at $10.
This space for rent.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#70 Post by Art K u o » May 7th, 2013, 10:22 am

doug johnson wrote:
Art K u o wrote:i don't deny that ethnic food around the DMV area is much better in the burbs than in the city (generally)... i've heard really good things about indian food, and i know that the top thai and vietnamese restaurants here are on par with what i'm used to back in southern california... but such is not the case with korean, japanese, and chinese food... especially with chinese food (to include HK palace), there's simply nothing good enough for me to associate my name to a recommendation (there are some serviceable options that i would eat when i'm really really really craving chinese food and too lazy to cook myself, but those are desperate times)... for japanese food, seki, sushiko, sushi taro, makoto are all pretty good but would not be able to distinguish themselves in another big city... and it's tough for me to comment on korean food having lived in los angeles's ktown for a few years, where the korean food (especially kbbq) is considered to be even better than in korea.
I haven't ate in LA's Korea Town, but I have had Korean food in Korean areas of NE China, in Chicago, in Manhattan's Korea Town: the better places in Annandale stack up with any of them.

Sushi Taro, at least at the omakase seats, at a minimum holds its own with any Japanese restaurant I've been to in the US.

what's this DC-inferiority complex you speak of? i'm not sure why i have it especially since i stated that i think the top thai/vietnamese food in dc is on par with LA.... generally speaking, i think DC has good restaurants that focus on traditional preparation with a southern lean. I think DC restaurants are not as good in the super modern/molecular gastronomy sector (mainly a dig on minibar but I've not tried Komi). BYO issues aside, I would recommend restaurants such as Inn at Little Washington, Marcel's, Blue Duck Tavern, Fiola, Birch and Barley, Fiola, Founding's, Ray's. I would not recommend CityZen, Minibar, Zaytinya.

i am relatively new to the area so i'm interested to know which korean restaurants in annadale you think stack up to which of the ktown manhattan restaurants you've been to... and if you know how asian cultures are proud of their ethnic food, you would know that it takes a lot for korean people to say that la ktown has better kbbq than korea. i am not aware that there is any other asian culture that would say that their ethnic food is better here in the states (but i could very well be wrong). i would note that it is widely believed that cantonese food is just as good if not better in vancouver than in hong kong, circa 2000.

i agree, sushi taro has a very good omakase menu. but i'm also wondering what other restaurants you are comparing it to? how does it stack against makoto in dc? would you put it in the same league with matsuhisa? urasawa? sasabune? masa?

i believe i gave credit where credit is due. i stated that there are good japanese places in dc, and that i abstain from commenting on korean food. the only cuisine that i said i would not recommend is chinese food but i'm open to try any suggestions to change my mind.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#71 Post by Howard Cooper » May 7th, 2013, 10:53 am

Robert Johnston wrote:

Went to Bistro Provence in Bethesda this weekend. Corkage was $40 a bottle. Food was outstanding.
Howard

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#72 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 7th, 2013, 11:58 am

Now that's a first-outstanding food in Bethesda.

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#73 Post by scott c » May 7th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Art K u o wrote:BYO issues aside, I would recommend restaurants such as Inn at Little Washington, Marcel's, Blue Duck Tavern, Fiola, Birch and Barley, Fiola, Founding's, Ray's. I would not recommend CityZen, Minibar, Zaytinya.
What is Founding's? I hope you don't mean Founding Farmers, because that's possibly the worst restaurant in the city. I'm with you on Zaytinya, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Minibar -- I think it is superb.
c 1 @ f f e e

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#74 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 7th, 2013, 3:21 pm

I love Zaytinya-great vibe, interesting wines and good food. It went through a bit of a downturn but now back in form. Last meal at Blue Duck was disappointing but excellent service.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#75 Post by Art K u o » May 8th, 2013, 1:42 pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:
Art K u o wrote:BYO issues aside, I would recommend restaurants such as Inn at Little Washington, Marcel's, Blue Duck Tavern, Fiola, Birch and Barley, Fiola, Founding's, Ray's. I would not recommend CityZen, Minibar, Zaytinya.
What is Founding's? I hope you don't mean Founding Farmers, because that's possibly the worst restaurant in the city. I'm with you on Zaytinya, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Minibar -- I think it is superb.
i meant the founding farmer's franchises... i would love to hear your take on why it's possibly the worst in the city! i would recommend founding farmers in the city for their free corkage policy. i prefer birch and barley's food, but i think the food at founding farmers gets better when i order according to what wine i bring. i actually prefer farmers bakers fisher's food over founding farmers... their grapefruit brulee for brunch was delightful. i also think that they do american food quite well. for example, i have a hard time eating sushi at 'fusion' restaurants because i keep on comparing these creations to what they would have been in the original form. i don't find myself with that problem here... same with their concept of taco's... and farmers bakers fishers (or is it farmers fishers bakers) have a first bottle free corkage policy, and awesome pricing on their beer sampler. so there's my take on them.

i think zaytinya is good for what it is, a nice place to go after work or late night for a quick bite and atmosphere, but i don't find the execution of their food to warrant being in the top 10 list, which is why i won't recommend people going there for the food experience. but if you want a classier looking place for small bites around penn quarters, it's not a bad choice.

for mini bar to be the crown jewel of the jose andres experience is quite disappointing for me, if anything because it doesn't stand up to alinea. i wasn't wowed mainly for 2 reasons that compound each other: 1. a lot of the 'creative' items i've had at other places, such as using capsules, using sphere to capture smoke, and 2. the execution of these techniques did not make me think, 'wow, even though i've had this before, they did it better here.' on the otherhand, inn at little washington was every bit as amazing as charlie trotter's. (i admit, i have a chicago slant regarding food)

Scot H.

Washington DC

#76 Post by Scot H. » May 9th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Jay Winton wrote:I love Zaytinya-great vibe, interesting wines and good food. It went through a bit of a downturn but now back in form.
I appreciate your comment because I feel they have been on a real downward trajectory (and I used to eat there quite frequently); will definitely revisit.

I have been traveling a lot lately (including a fun trip to Chambolle-Musigny) and haven't been out too much, but enjoyed a couple of great dinners at Mintwood Place. One night ordered a not inexpensive bottle of Burgundy, which was opened and spotted by the server (before I even had a chance) as corked. She then poured me a glass, which indeed tasted quite corked and returned with another bottle, which was fine. The funny thing was that she came back a bit later and told me that her manager was upset with her because he thought it was "a little TCA, which would eventually blow off." Otherwise, they have a nice list.

I've also had some good meals at Pearl Dive although a waiter notably brought me a completely different Chablis than ordered and then was nonplussed when I pointed this out to him as he was opening it, "well, we didn't have that wine!"

I think I probably get the wrong vintage about 25 percent of the time I order wine off the list. I've also noticed that some ostensibly upscale restaurants have wine lists without vintages listed.
@$$elm@n

W. Leonard

Washington DC

#77 Post by W. Leonard » May 9th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Scot Hasselman wrote:
I have been traveling a lot lately (including a fun trip to Chambolle-Musigny)
"Chambolle-Musigny" is an AOC not a "place." The village is Chambolle, Musigny is borrowed from its most famous Grand Cru.

[soap.gif]

Carry on
warren@weygandtwines.com

Scot H.

Washington DC

#78 Post by Scot H. » May 9th, 2013, 3:27 pm

W. Leonard wrote:
Scot Hasselman wrote:
"Chambolle-Musigny" is an AOC not a "place." The village is Chambolle, Musigny is borrowed from its most famous Grand Cru.
Carry on
Really? I was under the impression that the village name was appended to Chambolle-Musigny in the mid 19th century, is this not correct?
@$$elm@n

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#79 Post by scott c » May 10th, 2013, 6:46 am

Scot Hasselman wrote:
W. Leonard wrote:
Scot Hasselman wrote:
Carry on
Really? I was under the impression that the village name was appended to Chambolle-Musigny in the mid 19th century, is this not correct?
No, you're right, Scot. Warren knows a lot about Burgundy, but I'm siding with you (and my WSET training) on this one.
c 1 @ f f e e

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#80 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 10th, 2013, 10:03 am

Jay Winton wrote:I love Zaytinya-great vibe, interesting wines and good food. It went through a bit of a downturn but now back in form. Last meal at Blue Duck was disappointing but excellent service.
We'll be at Zaytinya next Wednesday with our niece so will report back.

Edward H. Earles

Washington DC

#81 Post by Edward H. Earles » May 16th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Art--Have you eaten at Tako Grill in Bethesda yet?
Art K u o wrote:
doug johnson wrote:

what's this DC-inferiority complex you speak of? i'm not sure why i have it especially since i stated that i think the top thai/vietnamese food in dc is on par with LA.... generally speaking, i think DC has good restaurants that focus on traditional preparation with a southern lean. I think DC restaurants are not as good in the super modern/molecular gastronomy sector (mainly a dig on minibar but I've not tried Komi). BYO issues aside, I would recommend restaurants such as Inn at Little Washington, Marcel's, Blue Duck Tavern, Fiola, Birch and Barley, Fiola, Founding's, Ray's. I would not recommend CityZen, Minibar, Zaytinya.

i am relatively new to the area so i'm interested to know which korean restaurants in annadale you think stack up to which of the ktown manhattan restaurants you've been to... and if you know how asian cultures are proud of their ethnic food, you would know that it takes a lot for korean people to say that la ktown has better kbbq than korea. i am not aware that there is any other asian culture that would say that their ethnic food is better here in the states (but i could very well be wrong). i would note that it is widely believed that cantonese food is just as good if not better in vancouver than in hong kong, circa 2000.

i agree, sushi taro has a very good omakase menu. but i'm also wondering what other restaurants you are comparing it to? how does it stack against makoto in dc? would you put it in the same league with matsuhisa? urasawa? sasabune? masa?

i believe i gave credit where credit is due. i stated that there are good japanese places in dc, and that i abstain from commenting on korean food. the only cuisine that i said i would not recommend is chinese food but i'm open to try any suggestions to change my mind.

Art K u o

Washington DC

#82 Post by Art K u o » May 20th, 2013, 11:17 am

i have not tried tako grill. is it a place you would recommend? what's good there?

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#83 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 20th, 2013, 11:37 am

Jay Winton wrote:
Jay Winton wrote:I love Zaytinya-great vibe, interesting wines and good food. It went through a bit of a downturn but now back in form. Last meal at Blue Duck was disappointing but excellent service.
We'll be at Zaytinya next Wednesday with our niece so will report back.
We had a very nice meal with excellent service and good food. We tried a number of plates-shrimp, squid, lamb and veggie. All were good though the lamb was more done than I prefer. I had a couple of glasses of Greek wine which aren't the bargain they used to be but I liked. So all good and I continue to recommend this restaurant. The atmosphere was lively as usual so not the place for quiet conversation, good for a group.

PaulM

Washington DC

#84 Post by PaulM » May 24th, 2013, 11:42 am

doug johnson wrote:

Makoto is the real deal for Japanese. Rasika may only be medium-authentic, but damn, it's good. Now, if anyone can hook me up with Korean within a half-hour of the District....
M a r q u a r d t

SteveC

Washington DC

#85 Post by SteveC » May 24th, 2013, 11:46 am

I always love Cashion's Eat House, plus they have a small but good wine list
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too Much Wine, Too Little Time"
"Life is Too Short to Drink Bad Wine."
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

PaulM

#86 Post by PaulM » May 24th, 2013, 11:48 am

Randall McFarlane wrote:Et Voila, a Belgian bistro on MacArthur Boulevard, accepts BYO with $20 corkage. C & I had dinner there Friday night with some folks I used to work with and had a very enjoyable time. We arranged for the table at the very back and were thus somewhat isolated from the noise and bustle of the rest of the restaurant. Excellent food and service.
Thanks, Randy - Andrea and I have had this on the list, and it sounds like we should bump it up.
M a r q u a r d t

Art K u o

Washington DC

#87 Post by Art K u o » June 3rd, 2013, 9:50 am

anyone went to Dino's lately??
wondering if their corkage policy is still the same... would be nice to have a place to have dinner and wine (sin corkage) on a regular basis...

doug johnson

Washington DC

#88 Post by doug johnson » June 5th, 2013, 9:43 am

Paul,

if you like Makoto you should make a reservation at Sushi Taro's counter in the back.

Moa, in Rockville, is within 30 minutes of my part of DC. Great soups, jigaes, and dumplings.

http://moakoreanrestaurant.weebly.com/index.html

James Cahill

Washington DC

#89 Post by James Cahill » June 5th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Organized a wine dinner in one of the private rooms at Cap Grille in Chevy Chase ~ Maryland side. The food was to be expected for CG and the service and glassware and overall delivery of customer service was outstanding. They rolled out the red carpet and I would highly recommend. A good location if you are bringing people together from Maryland and D.C. because it's on Metro. The private rooms work well for wine dinner gatherings.

PaulM

Washington DC

#90 Post by PaulM » June 6th, 2013, 9:27 am

Art K u o wrote:anyone went to Dino's lately??
wondering if their corkage policy is still the same... would be nice to have a place to have dinner and wine (sin corkage) on a regular basis...
Art, yes. Still very wine-friendly. Try the burger, which to my mind is the best inside the city limits.
M a r q u a r d t

Art K u o

Washington DC

#91 Post by Art K u o » July 29th, 2013, 12:42 pm

went to decanter (replacing adour at st regis) last weekend... corkage is $35/bottle... did not ask if there was a btl maximum...

Scot H.

Washington DC

#92 Post by Scot H. » July 29th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Art K u o wrote:went to decanter (replacing adour at st regis) last weekend... corkage is $35/bottle... did not ask if there was a btl maximum...
Yikes. How was the wine list? For some reason, that space seems cursed.
@$$elm@n

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#93 Post by Howard Cooper » July 29th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Paul Marquardt wrote:
Art K u o wrote:anyone went to Dino's lately??
Art, yes. Still very wine-friendly. Try the burger, which to my mind is the best inside the city limits.
Paul, as you know, I have been to Dinos many, many times. Never had the burger. Never even thought about getting a burger. Now you have me curious.
Howard

Art K u o

Washington DC

#94 Post by Art K u o » July 29th, 2013, 2:12 pm

i think alain ducasse has been pulling out of multiple of his restaurants across the board, so not sure if it's just the space...

the adour chef remained but the food is taking on a more meditteranian vibe. there were some parts of the dinner i thought was just brilliant.... overall quite good... for the qpr, i prefer decanter over cityzen.

i'm guessing they inherited all the wines from adour, but just decided to print the wine list over again.... i find the markups to be normal hotel restaurant practice... they have nice stuff, but you would have to pay that 5 star mark up to drink it... i do like the fact that they have a few half carafe selections at about $40-50 range... for 2 people, it turned out to be about 2 servings of wine per, and since we ordered all seafood... was not a bad option than ordering 4 separate glasses....

if i had a dinner party for 5 or 6, i would probably prefer to bring 2 bottles that cost me around $100 each instead of ordering off their wine list....

Scot H.

Washington DC

#95 Post by Scot H. » July 29th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Art K u o wrote:i think alain ducasse has been pulling out of multiple of his restaurants across the board, so not sure if it's just the space...

the adour chef remained but the food is taking on a more meditteranian vibe. there were some parts of the dinner i thought was just brilliant.... overall quite good... for the qpr, i prefer decanter over cityzen.

i'm guessing they inherited all the wines from adour, but just decided to print the wine list over again.... i find the markups to be normal hotel restaurant practice... they have nice stuff, but you would have to pay that 5 star mark up to drink it... i do like the fact that they have a few half carafe selections at about $40-50 range... for 2 people, it turned out to be about 2 servings of wine per, and since we ordered all seafood... was not a bad option than ordering 4 separate glasses....

if i had a dinner party for 5 or 6, i would probably prefer to bring 2 bottles that cost me around $100 each instead of ordering off their wine list....
Thanks. I work just down the street so am tempted. Maybe lunch.

That space has hosted numerous unsuccessful restaurants. A DC outpost of Lespinasse, Timothy Dean (which resulted in a lawsuit against the St. Regis), and who knows what else (I'm sure I'm forgetting something).
@$$elm@n

Berg Atkinson

Washington DC

#96 Post by Berg Atkinson » August 14th, 2013, 6:47 am

Paul Marquardt wrote: Makoto is the real deal for Japanese. Rasika may only be medium-authentic, but damn, it's good. Now, if anyone can hook me up with Korean within a half-hour of the District....
Yechon in Annandale, open 24 hours...little river turnpike east off of the beltway, then left at the first light on Hummer rd...Yechon will be on the right.
- Berg
WineBerg on CT

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

Washington DC

#97 Post by scott c » August 14th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Two additions to this discussion:

1) Apparently restaurants in DC can now charge whatever they want for corkage:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... r-corkage/

2) Here's a list of restaurants that charge nothing:

http://dc.eater.com/archives/2013/08/07 ... -in-dc.php
c 1 @ f f e e

Berg Atkinson

Washington DC

#98 Post by Berg Atkinson » August 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

scott c l a f f e e wrote:Two additions to this discussion:

1) Booooo. I'm sure we'll see $100+ corkage at some places.

2) Cool, good info, but such a depressingly short list. Charlie Palmer is very wine friendly, I'll vouch for that...had a great offline there last year, and went to a Williams Selyem dinner there a few years ago.
- Berg
WineBerg on CT

Scot H.

Washington DC

#99 Post by Scot H. » August 14th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Le Diplomate - $25 (for now)
Rasika West - $25
Last edited by Scot H. on August 20th, 2013, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
@$$elm@n

PaulM

Washington DC

#100 Post by PaulM » August 15th, 2013, 9:46 am

scott c l a f f e e wrote:Two additions to this discussion:

I'm hopeful this won't change much given ABRA has been ignoring the old law for years. I think CityZen always charged $50 (that and some subpar meals have made me not such a fan, to borrow a tagline).
M a r q u a r d t

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”